Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

agricultural science

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

Q7 that genetics question you know how you were supposed to work it out

I got a 3:1 ratio but it didnt devide in perfectly I mean 4 doesnt go into 55 evenly

was it still right do ye think???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Secoundrow wrote: »
    Q7 that genetics question you know how you were supposed to work it out

I got a 3:1 ratio but it didnt devide in perfectly I mean 4 doesnt go into 55 evenly

was it still right do ye think???

ya it was fine, in real life it would be unlikely for a ratio to come out as exactly 3:1 and if they gave a perfect ratio like 39:13 it might be a bit too obvious what you had to do with the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 koolciaran

Can anyone explain to me the whole concept of feeding suckler cows during and after pregnancy in relation to maintenance and production...completely lost here:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

is this Ag science?

yeah.

• Advertisement

koolciaran wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me the whole concept of feeding suckler cows during and after pregnancy in relation to maintenance and production...completely lost here:D

Well to start, a maintenance ration is enough feed to keep an animal healthy and alive, it doesn't gain or lose weight or condition. A production ration is maintenance ration plus extra feed enough to product milk, meat, or wool or whatever it is you want from your animal.

A suckler cow will need to be fed extra ration during pregnancy (production) for her unborn calf and after pregnancy to produce milk for the calf as it suckles her, after the calf is eventually weaned she will be back on maintenance ration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

A suckler cow will need to be fed extra ration during pregnancy (production) for her unborn calf and after pregnancy to produce milk for the calf as it suckles her, after the calf is eventually weaned she will be back on maintenance ration.

is it true that some farmers decrease the feed to cows in the later stages of pregnancy to have them 'fitter' for birth - leading to easier calving?

pathway33 wrote: »
    is it true that some farmers decrease the feed to cows in the later stages of pregnancy to have them 'fitter' for birth - leading to easier calving?

yes, overfeeding can lead to them putting on too much weight which will make calving harder, so feed can be reduced a little, essentially what you want is that there is enough feed to allow the calf to grow and develop and also to maintain the cow, she doesn't really need to put on weight, a lot of it would go to fat at that stage rather than muscle.

thanks rainbowbout your brilliant:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

Just looked at the exampaper there, its a shame that nothing at all came up on pigs.. A vital sector to the economy and then info in the ag.science book is completely outdated:mad:

• Advertisement

Seinas wrote: »
    Just looked at the exampaper there, its a shame that nothing at all came up on pigs.. A vital sector to the economy and then info in the ag.science book is completely outdated:mad:

Syllabus hasn't changed since 1969 and from what I understand publishers aren't all that interested in producing an ag science book because it's a minority subject. i.e. no profit. So the main book that is used is 20 years old.

Pigs was on ordinary level though.

Advertisement