Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

agricultural science

Options
  • 12-06-2009 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

thursday morning nice and early....my last frigging exam and one which id better do well in!

so all you fellow babesiasis experts, whats going to happen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭smndly

I hope its a nice exam!! not like 2007 which was horrible IMO... Im the only person doing it in my exam centre doing it :pac: haha...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Saffy

I have a bad feeling that it will be a tough exam:(

But I predict that pigs will have their very own question!!

its not my last exam:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

why cant my exams be fibished wednesday:(
    if they were id be on such a high but i am totally f****d for this one!!
    its my worst subject i just cant do it!!
    anyway anyone got any tips on what i should try and study for the next few days?? i hope its not a really biologyish paper!!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

apparently the topics from the 2001 paper havn't appeared in a while. id try and cover the genetics if i was you cos thats a full quistion thats easy enough if you understand it. but beware! theyll also quite often ask those sneaky definitions with the genetic cross....such as polyploidy.......

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

We didn't cover Pigs tbh.. Just sheep, dairy, cattle and cereals :(

• Advertisement

Yea i didnt cover pigs either. They're very likely id say because when the paper was written the PCP stuff was all over the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Yggdrasill

So how's everyone fixed for ag science? I'm hoping a question comes up on pigs and grassland. I've a few experiments learned from the back of that rapid revision book as well.

I lost that ****ing book, I need to find it or buy another tbh.

did something today, did 1997's exam, went to look for Marking scheme, none, stop at 2002 tbh rage.

that exam didn't go to well tbh.. kidna scared now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Leggz

If u know soil nd genetics ur mre r less guaranteed 2 questions.......nd if u know ur experiments then u got another que in the bag,seeing as u gotta answer que one by that time ur flying!!:D,i know theres alot of experiments but alot of em are kinds spoofers.....

like "write an experiment on how u would measure the growth of an area of grassland".........u can maked those kinds things up as long as u make sense yno!!!

hopefully a nice grasslad que comes up!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭ChiefBrody

smndly wrote: »
    Yea i didnt cover pigs either. They're very likely id say because when the paper was written the PCP stuff was all over the news.

It's not hard, you could easily get it done in time for Thursday. I did it new 2 days before the mocks and answered a question on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Pat2107

What are yer predictions?

yeah, hopefully pigs will have a question, i hope that the questions 9s aren't too weird......does anyone know how much you are supposed to write for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

yeah, hopefully pigs will have a question, i hope that the questions 9s aren't too weird......does anyone know how much you are supposed to write for them?

yeah just look at the marking schemes on www.examinations.ie
    am you have to make three points for the marks so 4 or 5 points to be safe, write about 4-5 gud lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 IrishBlood

i dunno really, i came on this site to seeif anyone else had any! :P

but im going to focus on potatoes, cereal crops, livestocks or all types and everything to do with them (thats pretty broad i know) and maybe a bit of grassland managemant as well, my teacher is convinced thats whats gonna come up, so i'll stick to that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭ChiefBrody

Does anyone else find it funny that every other subject had pages full of comments just before the exam, and the farmer subject doesn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Damien671

Now that you raise the point its funny
    But don't you know with all this good weather theyve been out cutting silage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

^^^^^
    well im finished easyest paper
    of the whole leavin cert but q1 was tricky

any how im goin cuttin silage for a few hours then time to go on the beer

^^
    seriously its good weather for silage see ye:D

Pretty good weather for hay too. Excellent paper IMO. It just tested your knowledge of the course without using any tricks like other subjects.

WHAAAT!?:eek:
    easy!?
    I found it kinda difficult.....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Saffy wrote: »
    WHAAAT!?:eek:
    easy!?
    I found it kinda difficult.....:o

There were a couple of sticky questions, having said that some questions that appeared difficult on first reading were not looking for an awful lot of information on closer inspection.

What did you find difficult?

• Advertisement

that ****ing fly question... man.. haha Grand tho. fair paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭kevogy

half of question 1 was easy
    q 3 option 2 could not have been more straight forward
    half of question 5 and 6 was ok
    7 was a joke didnt even attempt it
    8 was ok
    and 9 was really easy

b altogether

There were a couple of sticky questions, having said that some questions that appeared difficult on first reading were not looking for an awful lot of information on closer inspection.

What did you find difficult?

I was relying on Q 4 but I didn't recognise any of the experiments!:eek:
    We didn't do any - just read about 20.

parts of Q5

I usually get 100% for Q7(genetics) but I couldn't get the genetic cross and I couldn't remember the fruit fly thing:rolleyes:

Q9 - just bluffed my way through it!!

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    that ****ing fly question... man.. haha Grand tho. fair paper.

Q6?????? The insect one? Or Q7 Fruit flies?
    kevogy wrote: »
    half of question 1 was easy
    q 3 option 2 could not have been more straight forward
    half of question 5 and 6 was ok
    7 was a joke didnt even attempt it
    8 was ok
    and 9 was really easy

b altogether

Q3 Option 1 wasn't actually that bad either. Q1 was very fair for the most part

I didn't think Q6b was worded particularly well. 'Describe the dental formula of a ruminant'

Was it looking for the actual dental formula or to state that a ruminant has no canines as they are herbivores or both

I was relying on Q 4 but I didn't recognise any of the experiments!:eek:
    We didn't do any - just read about 20.

parts of Q5

I usually get 100% for Q7(genetics) but I couldn't get the genetic cross and I couldn't remember the fruit fly thing:rolleyes:

Q9 - just bluffed my way through it!!

Q4 : Percentage germination of a cereal was straightforward. Plant 100 seeds in a seed tray, water/light/nutrients etc, leave for a week. Count how many have germinated.

Selective herbicide: There isn't really an experiment for that, a lot of my students made it up, so they tell me, I'd probably say : Two/three areas of land with crops planted. One is a control:no herbicide, apply X amount to second plot. Apply Y amount to third plot. One without has weeds. One with small amount has no weeds but crops grow. One with large amount kills weeds and crops as too much selective herbicide has the effect of a total herbicide.

Bacteria in clover is the same as bacteria in anything else. Crush root nodules, spread on agar on petri dish, incubate, observe bacterial colonies.

Q7: genetic cross, something similar came up a few years ago but it was the incomplete dominance cross they used. You were supposed to figure out the ratio from the numbers given, 42:13 is roughly a 3:1 ratio. It also mentions starting with homozygous parents and suitable crosses so you had to do at least two.

Cross 1: GG x gg
    Gametes: G g

Genotype: Gg
    Phenotype: Green

Cross 2: Cross F1 genotype with itself

Gg x Gg

Gametes G, g and G, g

Genotypes GG, Gg, Gg, gg

Phenotype:
    3 Green, 1 albino

Q7: genetic cross, something similar came up a few years ago but it was the incomplete dominance cross they used. You were supposed to figure out the ratio from the numbers given, 42:13 is roughly a 3:1 ratio. It also mentions starting with homozygous parents and suitable crosses so you had to do at least two.

Cross 1: GG x gg
    Gametes: G g

Genotype: Gg
    Phenotype: Green

Cross 2: Cross F1 genotype with itself

Gg x Gg

Gametes G, g and G, g

Genotypes GG, Gg, Gg, gg

Phenotype:
    3 Green, 1 albino

yay!!! I got that - I thougt it was wrong though:o

yay!!! I got that - I thougt it was wrong though:o

Happy days!

nice exam overall.........wrote 2 pages on the ewe and lamb mortality bit...

what was the digestibility of grass over the growing season bit? i bluffed a bit, said that it had to do with carbohydrate levels, and cellulose in the cell walls. is that ok?

yeah, i got that genetics bit too! yaaaaaaaay

(but whats a lethal gene?)

nice exam overall.........wrote 2 pages on the ewe and lamb mortality bit...

what was the digestibility of grass over the growing season bit? i bluffed a bit, said that it had to do with carbohydrate levels, and cellulose in the cell walls. is that ok?

yeah, i got that genetics bit too! yaaaaaaaay

(but whats a lethal gene?)

A lethal gene is a gene that can be mutated gene, and causes death (possibly premature) in an organism if it is the dominant gene (it would normally be the recessive one).... I didn't think it was a fair thing to ask to be honest. I can't think of one off the top of my head, but haemophilia in males is a recessive trait. It is thought that a female embryo carrying two haemophilia genes is often miscarried, hence the lack of female haemophiliacs. Don't quote me on that, but that's the best example I can come up with.

Digestibility of grass: High carb levels early on in the growing season (may), therefore high digestibility, after the seed head has flowered (june), carbs convert to fibre to support seed head, so digestibility drops as fibre levels increase and carb levels decrease. if you use the green ag book (breen and mullen) the graph is in ch 19 on grassland in the section, productivity, palatability, digestibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Spanglished

smndly wrote: »
    I hope its a nice exam!! not like 2007 which was horrible IMO... Im the only person doing it in my exam centre doing it :pac: haha...

Ah, ag science, I did my exam in 2007 and was the only person in the centre too. The multiple choice short answer question is always a winner!
    Best of luck to allstill doing exams:)

Advertisement