Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

higher level german aftermath

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 heeereees-jonny

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Whats with everyone doing the letter. The picture was the easiest thing I have ever seen. It was a carbon copy of the bildegeschichte for the oral... "zu zweits geht's besser-oder" Then they just asked you to say what job you want when you are older and why. really simple. I wrote over 300 words on it.

i thought that too!!! :D but the letter wasn't exactly hard either and i'm just used to writing the letters... did anyone else have to ask for extra paper in this exam???

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Whats with everyone doing the letter. The picture was the easiest thing I have ever seen. It was a carbon copy of the bildegeschichte for the oral... "zu zweits geht's besser-oder" Then they just asked you to say what job you want when you are older and why. really simple. I wrote over 300 words on it.

haha i wanted to do the letter but then i saw that the essay had a picture of three girls lying on the ground and i was like...nice:D but i started reading the letter anyway and then just for a second decided to glance at the essay seeing that there were three chicks there after all and realized it was really really easy:D
    anyway it feels much better to do an essay with three chicks lying on the ground then writing to a person about who's gender you're not too sure:P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I wrote about junk food in the letter and I used the words "minderwertige Kost" for junk food. I found this in a dictionary but my teacher said she'd never heard to term before (and she knows her German!) but to use it anyway. I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard it and if it's correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Piste wrote: »
    Also I was trying to say "...a church, in which my boyfriend and I got married". I think I said "...eine Kirche, in der mein Freund und ich uns geheieratet haben" but it doesn't really sound right to me =/

Instead of 'in der' would it be 'worin' maybe? Or some kind of one word thing to that effect?

Not sure, but that's what I would have said...

Lol at the people eating animals thing, though I'm hoping it won't come to that :P Don't think that they'll be too strict with the actual content of the suggestions, it was hard to answer in English never mind German in fairness...

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

I wrote about junk food in the letter and I used the words "minderwertige Kost" for junk food. I found this in a dictionary but my teacher said she'd never heard to term before (and she knows her German!) but to use it anyway. I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard it and if it's correct?

I said Schnellessen. But ya, did a quick search and apparently its an idiom, translating directly as "worthless expense", so ya, junk food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

All i can say is who the f*ck has babies where one is white and the other is black.

The minute i saw that zoo question i just kept saying in my head "It's going to be a flipping gorilla isn't"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

Also I was trying to say "...a church, in which my boyfriend and I got married". I think I said "...eine Kirche, in der mein Freund und ich uns geheieratet haben" but it doesn't really sound right to me =/

Hey, Piste, just a quick reassurance from a native speaker: that sentence is just fine. The only minor mistake is the usage of "uns" (heiraten is not a reflexive verb), but it really is not a big deal. In fact, it sounds cute. :)

Oh, and minderwertige Kost is actually a very sophisticated phrase. I'd give you extra points for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Oh awesome, thanks :)

Yeah I was wondering about the heiraten being reflexive or not, I was worried that if I said "we married" it would be like we performed the ceremony, whereas I thought sich heieraten would be to get married. I think it's reflexive in French so that threw me a bit. Thanks for the reassurance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 hsharz

no German would say "minderwertige Kost" for junkfood and it doesn´t even mean the same thing...stupid dictionaries.

"Schnellessen" would be fine, but really everybody says FastFood, so not much to remember here.

Advertisement