Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

higher level german aftermath

Options
  • 12-06-2009 1:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

i for one was very dissapointed with it. i feel that i will be very lucky to get an a in it. the listening was a bit fast i thought. maby its just be having an off day.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Very unlucky not to get a A in honours leaving cert german? What the hell is wrong with you

Brag more?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Thought it went well, fair paper. Yeh though the listening was a bit fast aswell.
    Hoping B3

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

The written paper was pretty good, the comprehensions were easy enough I thought. Well I wasn't sure about 1 or 2 of the questions on the first one, but the second was fine. The Ausserung was pretty easy too, I did the second one - and I was very happy with the end essay on careers. I hadn't actually prepared anything for it, and was intending on doing the letter prior to the exam, but that was too easy to pass on.

The listening was okay, the first 2 parts were fine, the second two not so. The news section went way too fast in most parts, and for part 3 I hadn't a clue what was going on.

Having said that I hope I get a B in it overall, that would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Waaahhh

The comprehensions and the Schriftliche Produktion sections were sweet.... The ausserung was a bit boring though and the tape was very fast!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

well to be honest its not bragging. i have put more work into german than all my other subjects combined. i am not a native and hve now one who speaks german to me. i learned all by myself with the aid of my outstanding teacher for the last five years

• Advertisement

Nihilist21 wrote: »

The listening was okay, the first 2 parts were fine, the second two not so. The news section went way too fast in most parts, and for part 3 I hadn't a clue what was going on.

Yeh what was with that camp guy?? His German was so hard to understand!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Waaahhh wrote: »
    Yeh what was with that camp guy?? His German was so hard to understand!

Haha yeh i just heard pizza at the end and that wouldn't get out my head in trying to understand wtf he was saying!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

ah thought it was grand. The listening was so easy for the first page and then. . . :P didn't like the phone call, but am happy enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

it was ok, hoping for a b2 so need bout 70% on the paper. the 3rd section of the tape was weird didnt understand much of it

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

What was the grammar section like? My teacher was convinced that adjectival endings or the interrogative would come up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

Thought the paper wasn't too bad overall.One tricky enough question in the first reading comprehension,I think it was Q1 d), didn't have clue what that was about.Comprehension 2 was good and the Ausserung,grammer and essay were ok.The Listening was the hardest part.It was hard to find 3 expressions of language on Q2 and the news was very fast,didn't understand much about that train crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

those things with choosing what verb it comes from what tense and whether its singular or plural. then ****ing relative pronouns!! just wrote random ders, and dies and dass

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

tape wasnt too bad!i hated the comprehensions!especially the first one!...letter was really nice!auberung was :(

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

Not sure

Comprehensions lovely
    AuBerung was horrid I thought. Never did anything about Animals before and I thought it was difficult to get three different points in the second one.

Did the letter, was generally ok but found that it took me a while to get into it and I'd trouble remembering idioms and things like that.

Tape was half good/half bad.
    Part 1 = Lovely
    Part 2 = Not nice. Layout was weird. Went far too fast
    Part 3 = Lovely
    Part 4 = Not so nice. I don't like that section but had no idea what the details about the train crash were.

Glad it's over but I've no clue how well I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

Grammar was awful. Always is.
    Listening was far too fast.
    Really phucked it up and I wanted at least a B. I'm banking on the oral to bring me up to a B because that was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

What was the grammar section like? My teacher was convinced that adjectival endings or the interrogative would come up!

As was mine, but the relative pronoun and identifying the tense, infinitive and singular or plural of verbs came up.

I was a bit disappointed I didn't have time to look back over my written pieces before the time was up, I know I could have picked up marks by correcting little mistakes. I was happy with how it went overall though, I had thought it'd be much worse. the comprehensions were easy enough, except that nasty question about why wild animals have left their ntural habitats. I saw "human intervention" and "road building" and something about a river and buildings but didn't fully understand what they were =/

Initially I thought the Ausserung was a bit dodge but then I took a lot of my answer from the text. I couldn't for the life of me think of a third dangerous situation that would arise from wild animals in the city, so I said because of the recession people couldn't afford to buy food and they might eat the animals.

The letter was nice, all the topics were easy enough to talk about. Thank god I had something on college fees prepared. Also I was trying to say "...a church, in which my boyfriend and I got married". I think I said "...eine Kirche, in der mein Freund und ich uns geheieratet haben" but it doesn't really sound right to me =/

Listening seemed easy enough. For the section about Alexander and his mum (it was his mum wasn't it?) it asked for examples to show he was surprised (it was surprised wasn't it) and I wrote quotes in german in quotation marks, but then I wasn't sure they're accept them so I wrote the quotes in English in quotation marks...will it matter that both German and English are there?

Anyway overall a good paper and listening, hopefully I'll have gotten higher than a B2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I thought the listening was the easiest one I've ever heard... Though maybe they had pity on us because we had to listen to that old lady with the REALLY irritating voice...

Written was fine, even the grammar was easy! And the questions in the letter were so general. But I think I ****ed up on the Aussering simply because I couldn't find enough reasons why someone would need a pet-taxi. Like wtf? I ended up writing a story on how snakes make lovely pets.

overall i think I got the b3 i was looking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Ausserung was just plain weird...I turned to it first,before doing the Leseverstaendnis,just to see what it was and I was just like,wtf?!:eek:

Did the first one,because I still don't get what a pet taxi is?Like,for bringing pets on day trips or something?:confused:

But it wasn't so bad once I got into it...the way I see it is that no one could possibly have vocab prepared for that so they can't mark too hard...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

I did the pet taxi one. I just said it's safer than putting pets in the car because when driving you can't mind the animal and could cause an accident, and that they're handy for when people are moving house etc.

Total waffle of course.

I learned nothing for grammar so I completely ****ed that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 heeereees-jonny

overall i thought it was a LOVELY paper!!! :D:D i was very, VERY happy with it! fell asleep last night b4 i got any revision done... but it was fine! i actually understood what was going on in the reading comprehensions! the grammar was handy (but i've always found german grammar to be very easy...i think I'm just lucky like that!)um... auBerrung was very funny! they're fairly going out of their way to make sure we can learn anything off for it, aren't they!?! that was the most random thing I've eva seen!! :D Letter was grand... even the college fees bit was easy enough!
    the tape was fine! on the whole i was happy, except foe the weather bit! that went VERY fast!
    I think i got my A!!! I'm all happy now (especially after the disaster that was art history yesterday!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

Oh my god the island colony comprehension was a complete rape!! and the i misread the ausserung and started to write about why people are thankful for pets! then i went to toilet and had a FREAKOUT and then was okay haha

Tape was GRAND :D

Piste wrote: »
    Listening seemed easy enough. For the section about Alexander and his mum (it was his mum wasn't it?) it asked for examples to show he was surprised (it was surprised wasn't it) and I wrote quotes in german in quotation marks, but then I wasn't sure they're accept them so I wrote the quotes in English in quotation marks...will it matter that both German and English are there?

Anyway overall a good paper and listening, hopefully I'll have gotten higher than a B2 :)

I'm fairly sure our teacher told us that in this section both English and German are equally acceptable, so if you've written both, you've increased your chance of getting some of the marks! Even if it's wrong in one language but right in the other you'll still get the marks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭-ME-

Twas alright. I got really worried when I first saw the Ausserung zum Thema but it wasn't too bad once I got into it. I said that a TierTaxi was for when animals go into cities (like in the comprehension) and have to be taken back into the wild. Ha, had no idea. Hopefully any answer will do. I did the Q that wasn't the letter and it worked out to be way easier, I reused some of my oral vocab. The comprehensions were ok and the tape was easy enough except for that one about the suitcase, I said he was "diplomatic" but everyone else said "surprised"... I didn't think it was very clear! Thought the pre written paper was easier but it was ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Listening was appalling, and I'd worked so hard on it this last while! I found the exam set in 2000 a lot easier in fact! Ausserung was ridiculous but manageable.

Taxi for animals....wtf! I do french too, and I swear to Jehuuvah, they really try to make the paper stimulating, interesting and relevant but the people who set the German paper should be taken out the back and shot! A pet-taxi? How ridiculous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 VaccinalBowl

Piste wrote: »
    As was mine, but the relative pronoun and identifying the tense, infinitive and singular or plural of verbs came up.

I was a bit disappointed I didn't have time to look back over my written pieces before the time was up, I know I could have picked up marks by correcting little mistakes. I was happy with how it went overall though, I had thought it'd be much worse. the comprehensions were easy enough, except that nasty question about why wild animals have left their ntural habitats. I saw "human intervention" and "road building" and something about a river and buildings but didn't fully understand what they were =/

Initially I thought the Ausserung was a bit dodge but then I took a lot of my answer from the text. I couldn't for the life of me think of a third dangerous situation that would arise from wild animals in the city, so I said because of the recession people couldn't afford to buy food and they might eat the animals.

The letter was nice, all the topics were easy enough to talk about. Thank god I had something on college fees prepared. Also I was trying to say "...a church, in which my boyfriend and I got married". I think I said "...eine Kirche, in der mein Freund und ich uns geheieratet haben" but it doesn't really sound right to me =/

Looks good to me about the church thing. I mean you could have said verheiratet but geheiratet is the same thing

deadly thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

Love your recession/people eating the animals point! Your corrector will get a great laugh out of something so original! :D

Haha hopefully, hopefully they wont think "wow she was really grasping at straws..."

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

i was disappointed with my exam.the tape was too quick and the grammar was crap

anyway at least i'm finished altogether now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Whats with everyone doing the letter. The picture was the easiest thing I have ever seen. It was a carbon copy of the bildegeschichte for the oral... "zu zweits geht's besser-oder" Then they just asked you to say what job you want when you are older and why. really simple. I wrote over 300 words on it.

Advertisement