Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

8th

4.5 miles @ 7.08 pace average HR 165

was meant to double today but laziness got the better of me this evening i will have to make up for it

9th

1.5 mile warm up 5 min on (6.10 mile pace) five min off (3 on reps 2 off) (5.50 mile pace) (6.20 mile pace) 3 miles easy

Total mileage: 9.5 average pace 7.34 HR 165

This session was supposed to be a tempo but after close to a mile the cold air in my lungs and the soft underground meant i could not have done long enough to justify it as a session so i got creative. Not anything to crazy but was good to do a bit of faster stuff even a small bit

10th

13.1 miles in 1.37.27 average pace 7.26 HR 161

first long run in a while i had planned on pace being roughly 7.30 but was delighted to see i was able to manage that pace given the soft under foot which in many places had gone very soft so was like running on sand and as the run progressed this became evident as lower back tightened up big time. Its not a soreness or injury but it did impede me and forced me to cut the run slightly short and once i saw the mileage on the garmin i thought would be apropriate to finish at my target race distance.

Weekly summary

Total weekly mileage: 59.4
    Average HR: 161 bpm

Total yearly mileage: 73.72

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭traininglog

Very good week considering the conditions.Your long run today seemed to be the best.
    I find my lower back tightens up easily also,should start doing some back extensions;)
    when do you plan on racing again>?

• Advertisement

Very good week considering the conditions.Your long run today seemed to be the best.
    I find my lower back tightens up easily also,should start doing some back extensions;)
    when do you plan on racing again>?

i may have a 3k on 23rd and then Raheny 5 week after followed by Half Marathon come end of Feb

Bit of a mixed bag there !!!
    I take it the 3k is on the track?
    Have you ran a half before and what sort of time u aiming for?
    I might do one on July.

Bit of a mixed bag there !!!
    I take it the 3k is on the track?
    Have you ran a half before and what sort of time u aiming for?
    I might do one on July.

The 3k i not sure about yet as i was only approached about it today it is the National Relays not sure whether it going ahead yet if so kinda building up distances like three k is more for speed.
    Its my first half hoping to go as close to 75 as possible though this weather coupled with an injury before christmas may not make it that realistic but ad good solid three months up to it so hopefully havent lost too much

good luck with that half marathon.75 mins is a very good time.
    Team or no team i wouldn't be running a 3k indoors if you plan running a half marathon in a few weeks time.
    Usually takes aweek to get an indoor run out of the system(tough on the calfs)but i guess its your decesion.

good luck with that half marathon.75 mins is a very good time.
    Team or no team i wouldn't be running a 3k indoors if you plan running a half marathon in a few weeks time.
    Usually takes aweek to get an indoor run out of the system(tough on the calfs)but i guess its your decesion.

Will take that into consideration as i have not ran too many indoor races and been a few years alright.

• Advertisement

11th

AM 4.47miles @ 8.09 pace average HR 146

PM 7.12 miles @ 8.16 pace average HR 140

I thought with the thaw that it would mean i would be back to normal however i was wrong i still reckon a day or two till back to normality. Today was actually i feel the worst in terms of the underfooting as i went over on my ankle half way through managed to continue going but was still kinda sore. Just when i though things couldnt have got any worse i slipped and fell heavily on my hip which is quite sore but hopefully just more so bruisng than an actual injury so will just have to wait and see how it goes

12th

AM 7.65 miles @ 7.16 pace average HR 150

Today was supposed to be a session but after going over on my ankle and falling on my hip yesterday there was a bit of bruising and swelling so i decided to push this back a day just to be safe and said i would do a bit today felt good enough now that the ice starting to receed but it is by no means gone so i just gonna give it an attempt tomorrow

13th

AM 2 mile warm up 5x1k in 5 min cycles 2 mile cool down

Times
    3.20 w/ 1.40 rec
    3.20 w/ 1.40 rec
    3.21 w/ 1.39 rec
    3.19 w/ 1.41 rec
    3.21 w/ 1.39 rec

Average HR during session (including recoveries): 1.67 bpm
    Total mileage: 7.52 miles

With the weather picking up and the ice gone was finally able to get a bit of faster work done so headed to the track for a session. This was my first session in 6 weeks so i didnt know what to expect but i was happy enough with how it went. I could have prob done few more reps but seeing as it was first session back and the ankle and hip are still slightly swollen i decided to just leave it at five. Overall happy with how i felt as the reps were comfortably hard but not killing myself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

great consistency on the rep's ecoli - I can only aspire to those sort of times and recovery periods. glad to see your couple of falls are not too serious and wont get in the way of the half marathon. whats the longest run you ll do for a half marathon and what sort of long runs have you left to do?

kennyb3 wrote: »
    great consistency on the rep's ecoli - I can only aspire to those sort of times and recovery periods. glad to see your couple of falls are not too serious and wont get in the way of the half marathon. whats the longest run you ll do for a half marathon and what sort of long runs have you left to do?

You never know all it takes is consistent training and you can achieve them sort of times after all everyone is striding to better themselves while you think them times are aspirations until they are reached then you want to be closer to three.Yeah i was happy the falls only seem to be superficial with bit of swelling and bruising and nothing more. My long runs have been between 15-17 miles and i have three more before start to taper roughly bout two weeks before the race

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

ecoli wrote: »
    My long runs have been between 15-17 miles and i have three more before start to taper roughly bout two weeks before the race

Thanks only racing up to half marathon myself for first half of the year so was just wondering about how far to go when i up my long runs. had 16 miles in mind so i think i ll go with that

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Thanks only racing up to half marathon myself for first half of the year so was just wondering about how far to go when i up my long runs. had 16 miles in mind so i think i ll go with that

Well this is the first time i have raced over 10k like so i am in uncharted territory but i think regarrdless of 10k or half long runs are important for your aerobic capacity my advice for a half would be keep yoour long run anything between 1.30 - 2hrs so from that you can work out mileage. Time on feet is as important as distance covered (to an extent)

13th

AM 2 mile warm up 5x1k in 5 min cycles 2 mile cool down

Times
    3.20 w/ 1.40 rec
    3.20 w/ 1.40 rec
    3.21 w/ 1.39 rec
    3.19 w/ 1.41 rec
    3.21 w/ 1.39 rec

Average HR during session (including recoveries): 1.67 bpm
    Total mileage: 7.52 miles

With the weather picking up and the ice gone was finally able to get a bit of faster work done so headed to the track for a session. This was my first session in 6 weeks so i didnt know what to expect but i was happy enough with how it went. I could have prob done few more reps but seeing as it was first session back and the ankle and hip are still slightly swollen i decided to just leave it at five. Overall happy with how i felt as the reps were comfortably hard but not killing myself

PM 5.28 miles @ 7.25 pace

Nice easy one in the evening to loosen out the legs was slightly faster till i bumped into thirstywork and did three with him. Kinda glad he came along as it was just supposed to be a run to flush out the legs after session earlier. Forgot the HRM as i was in a hurry trying to fit this run in on my break from work

14th

AM 7.49 miles @ 6.34 mile pace average HR 167 bpm

today i got a small bit carried away over the first three miles but i managed to slow it down a bit and just get a routine steady run in. Great to be able to do the runs on the road again without having ice and snow to worry about and can actualy have a more accurate pace on my runs

PM 7.19 miles @7.16 pace average HR 161 bpm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Hey Ecoli, you might have mentioned this before but do you eat in the morning before those runs? Also, would you recommend double day runs to somebody newish to running (1 solid year) or do you think you need a couple of years serious training.

I'm hitting 50+ pw from now on for a marathon in April. Just considering doing doubles for a day or two per week to add miles....just considering though. I'm sure you'll say try it out, see what happens but would be good to get your thoughts. Thanks!

• Advertisement

Hey Ecoli, you might have mentioned this before but do you eat in the morning before those runs? Also, would you recommend double day runs to somebody newish to running (1 solid year) or do you think you need a couple of years serious training.

I'm hitting 50+ pw from now on for a marathon in April. Just considering doing doubles for a day or two per week to add miles....just considering though. I'm sure you'll say try it out, see what happens but would be good to get your thoughts. Thanks!

My morning runs are usually 4-5 miles and these are usually more recovery miles at slower than easy pace so i can manage them without any food however anything longer and i would struggle without food.
    I have only been doubling since Sept but what i have found is that my body recovers alot quicker since i have started them. As far as i can remember Tergat also advocates morning runs all i can advise is add two or three miles in the morning they dont have to be that fast easy-recovery pace will suffice

15th
    Rest

16th
    Rest

17th

13.2 miles in 1 hr 32min approx 7 min mile pace

Fri was a planned rest day but Sat was just a lapse in motivation which i dont plan to have again between now and the half. I start back college tomorrow which will put me back in my usual routine which will help alot. Out with the training partner today and body didnt feel good (3 hours sleep will do that) still the pace was pretty decent only prob is that my garmin died so i am was forced to do a loop i knew rather than measure the mileage. From here i measured out the run on map my run. Pace was comfortable and with three to go we started to really motor roughly sub six pace but had to hold myself back as was a long run and didnt want it taking away from sessions this week

18th

AM 3.56 miles @ 7.59 pace

PM 11 miles progression 7 miles easy (6.51 pace) 2 miles quick (6.08 pace) 1 mile easy and last mile recovery (8 min pace)
    Overall:11 miles @ 6.50 (10 miles in 6.43 pace)

45 min core

Back to college and routine has gone back to normality including an improvement in diet so hopefully can keep that up. The PM run was supposed to be just usual eight miles home from college however forgetting my keys in my lift and having to trek all across campus to find him get his car keys and pick them up from his car i had already clocked up three mile before i left campus.I was feeling good so said i would put in bit quicker pace and to my suprise felt pretty easy but decided rather than compromise training all week i would easy up and even did a recovery mile as i was well over what i had planned for today

19th

AM 2.79 @ 7.59 pace

Pm 7.99 miles @ 7.04 147 bpm average HR

Legs felt terrible today and still adjusting to the early starts.

20th

PM 2 mile warm up 2 x 2k w/2.30 recovery 10 min break 1x2k

Target time 6.40-45

Actual times: 6.43, 6.51 and 6.54

From the start this session was ruined my intestines felt almost twisted and while the plan was to do five i think the times were slightly optimistic. Felt like S**t from the word go after two i threw up. after this i was hoping i would be able to conitiue and do two more so the longer break was an attempt to make sets however once i resumed the session i knew it was no good and left it at three. Was raging as these are the important types of sessions with the goal race only 6 weeks away

21st

Am 3.5 miles @7.14 pace

PM 8 miles @ 6.34 pace average HR 164bpm

Running with training partner i only became aware of the pace after about three mile. I was shocked with how easy it felt:eek: pulled it back a bit just so i wouldnt take away from the session tomorrow as i had already ruined one session this week. After yesterday i was worrying about how i was fairing in terms of gauging development but this gave me alot of confidence

22nd

1.5 mile warm up 10x800m in 4 min cycles 1.5 mile cool down

target time : 2.40 w/ 1.20 recovery

Actualy times: 2.40, 2.39, 2.39, 2.40, 2.41, 2.39, 2.41, 2.40, 2.39 2.37

Legs were little tight from yesterdays session and very little strectching and that as was in a hurry to get back for work but overall i was happy enough that i was able to maintain the paces off a short recovery only thing i struggled with is trying to make back time once i had fallen off the pace it seems that my legs struggle slightly with chages of paces but that natural due to lack of sessions since christmas and will come back to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

22nd

1.5 mile warm up 10x800m in 4 min cycles 1.5 mile cool down

target time : 2.40 w/ 1.20 recovery

Actualy times: 2.40, 2.39, 2.39, 2.40, 2.41, 2.39, 2.41, 2.40, 2.39 2.37

Legs were little tight from yesterdays session and very little strectching and that as was in a hurry to get back for work but overall i was happy enough that i was able to maintain the paces off a short recovery only thing i struggled with is trying to make back time once i had fallen off the pace it seems that my legs struggle slightly with chages of paces but that natural due to lack of sessions since christmas and will come back to me
    great running ecoli and almost perfect pace control

23rd

AM 8.21 miles @ 7.16 pace

Just an easy run to loosen out the legs as have had few hard days so was good to give the legs a bit of a rest especially with my planned training tomorrow which should be interesting because i am taking the last 5 mile of my lsr @ 6 min pace

• Advertisement

great running ecoli and almost perfect pace control

Thanks i give allowances in my training over roughly 2-3 secs with intervals just to take in external factors (gust of winds etc.) the last one is always a bit faster but not all out this is usually a psychological thing as i feel that if i can pick it up while still feeling that there is some left in the tank it provides huge confidence

Advertisement