Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

After two rest days

21st Feb

4.62 miles in 31 min easy

Week now till the half so taking it very relaxed its great to have the body finally at a stage where i not constantly slightly tired from training and hoping that the next week easy will have me raring to go. Since my run is on at 10 am i am going to try and get out on my runs at that time all week to prepare the body

22nd Feb

5.17 miles @7.14 pace

Having eased up for the race this weekend i have so much extra energy that this pace felt little more than a warm up pace feeling good coming up to the race

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

best of luck in advance ecoli

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

You can grab some glow sticks and run a few more laps around Pacha if you've got any energy left after the race.

cfitz wrote: »
    You can grab some glow sticks and run a few more laps around Pacha if you've got any energy left after the race.

HAHA well it my 21st on sunday as well as the race so that may be an option:D Though mind you having been there before and not really impressed i think Carling Cup final and few celebratory drinks in quiet pub might be a better option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Best of luck ecoli...i look forward to reading your report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

good luck in Spain ecoli
    you've the speed, mileage and dedication to post a fantastic time - enjoy the celebrations after

DustyBin wrote: »
    good luck in Spain ecoli
    you've the speed, mileage and dedication to post a fantastic time - enjoy the celebrations after

Thanks for the support lads. I think the my original goal of sub 75 is not a realistic one considering two weeks off before christmas and then the snow follwed by pulling out of a few sessions with niggles and that means that the last two months have not been as good as i would have liked but i still feel that 76-77 my be on the cards i dunno whther that is realistic or not but the plan is to try and go out around 5.50-5.55 mile pace and see where i am around 8 mile mark hopefully push on from there.
    At the very least at least i am certain of a PB provided i finish but at the same time i hoping for a good time who will confirm a solid base that i can work off on the track and hopeully chop some time off most of my times because i feel i should be better than my times reflect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

ecoli wrote: »
    Thanks for the support lads. I think the my original goal of sub 75 is not a realistic one considering two weeks off before christmas and then the snow follwed by pulling out of a few sessions with niggles and that means that the last two months have not been as good as i would have liked but i still feel that 76-77 my be on the cards i dunno whther that is realistic or not but the plan is to try and go out around 5.50-5.55 mile pace and see where i am around 8 mile mark hopefully push on from there.
    At the very least at least i am certain of a PB provided i finish but at the same time i hoping for a good time who will confirm a solid base that i can work off on the track and hopeully chop some time off most of my times because i feel i should be better than my times reflect

Either way, anything under 80 mins is fantastic. Sure that wouldnt be far off the best club runners clocking 66-70 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Best of luck with the half lad, looking forward to the report!

• Advertisement

23rd Feb

6.85 miles @ 7.26 pace + 4 x 100m strides (5k pace)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Best of luck at the weekend; you might surprise yourself, you have a great 6 months of training done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck ecoli. Hope you have a great race and the body holds together. Enjoy the drinks afterwards too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Gosh your log is an inspiration! Well done! And best of luck at the weekend. Enjoy your pints – I’ll have one for you too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Best of luck on Sunday ecoli - you're certain to post a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

ecoli wrote: »
    HAHA well it my 21st on sunday as well as the race so that may be an option:D Though mind you having been there before and not really impressed i think Carling Cup final and few celebratory drinks in quiet pub might be a better option

Really? I thought it was deadly, but that was back in 2005. Anyway, have a good race and happy birthday.

cfitz wrote: »
    Really? I thought it was deadly, but that was back in 2005. Anyway, have a good race and happy birthday.

Well i just found that the place was extremely expensive (dearer that ireland prices:eek:) i also found that being a club moreso for the locals there were very few willing to just have a conversation (granted my spanish is quite weak) Maybe it was just my impression still i sure it will be a laugh to be honest i not a huge birthday person and the race is far more important to me so i almost completely putting it down as a post race party if anything lol. The plan however is to be back in training (albeit light stuff) come wed so i will have to keep that in consideration:rolleyes:

24th Feb

5.25 miles @ 7.27 pace

25th Feb

AM pre race massage

PM 4.12 miles @ 7.38 pace

Hammies were tight according to the physio so i gonna really work on that between now and sunday other than that everything is perfect dying to run at this stage this week has just dragged in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Seems you were right with 77mins, great running ecoli

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Seems you were right with 77mins, great running ecoli

Well done Ecoli...looking forward to the report

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great result ecoli. Well done (and happy belated birthday!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Great result ecoli. Well done (and happy belated birthday!).

+1 savage running and great position to finish.

Thanks folks i just landed there a while ago and the body is suffering from the race (and celebrations) from yesterday so gonna get some well earned kip and will get a proper report done up tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Nice one ecoli, well done!

Sat 27th Feb

20 min v. easy (roughly 7.45-8 min pace)

With the race being an early one to avoid the midday heat meant an early start. 6.30 am was up but to be honest it wouldnt have made much difference what time i could have slept till as nerves had kept me up half the night (thankfully i had managaed to get a siesta during the day:D Breakfast comprised of bowl of porridge, two small brown bread slices and a banana then on with the mp3 and tried to get my head focused.

8.30 am taxi picked us up from the apartment and brough us in to the race start. Temperatures were ideal for running bout 15 degrees and overcast so was perfect for running. There was a very good party atmosphere around the place and with 15 of us from the club it was kinda relaxing. 10 min jog and a bit of light strecthing and we were ready to go for the race but people hadnt started to file in to the start till it dawned i had mixed up the translations and was at the finish so 100m around the corner we were in dismay to see 100s of people already lined up so a few fancy manouevers and we managed to get pretty near to the start just behind the elite field which was perfect.

Bang and we were finally off 6 months training came down to the next hour and a half. My training partner shot out a bit ahead of me but i kept very easy the first mile the plan was roughly 3.40 for the 1st k (had found out no mile markers only ks in the race so had to make a few calculations on the sat) as i hit the mark clock ticked 3.40, 3.41. Perfect. rather than go crazy counting k splits i decided to go with my gut and only check after each 5k. The plan was to hit 5 k in about 18.16 roughly which would put me on target just to dip under the 77 mark. 18.20 but was very happy with how i was feeling this was easy. I then noticed a Spaniard on my shoulder and realised he had been there for a while so said to myself took in behind and let him do a bit of the work. As the next few k went on we worked off each other swapping the lead every 1200m roughly without saying a word to eah other for the whole thing (i guess running is its own language) and it seemed to be working as we passed runner after runner eating up the ground.

Hit 10k in 36.28 (13 secs off my 10k PB). I knew i was running well but didnt realise that i had picked it up that much with a 18.08 5k split thinking to myself maybe i would suffer because of this but kept going. I then saw that i was on the shoulder of my training partner which was kind of alarming as i knew there must have been something up as i knew he was in 75-76 shape and i shouldnt be with him. I beckoned him to latch on to me and hopefully work together through the second half of the race but this was not to be as he let me go on and was forced to pull up with stomach cramps.

15k and i was starting to lose ground on the spanish friend which i had picked up so was slightly worried i was slowing. 18.07 once again negative spliting so i was delighted with how it was going. At this point i was in no mans land with no one around me and with a long straight stretch out and back along the promenade. Here i began to suffer but kept pushing on.

20k with one to go i was hurting and had slowed to a 18.34 which i was slightly disappointed about but i was still delighted with how i was going and was still pretty much on pace for a very solid time so i battled on. Came to the final straight and i saw the clock ticking into the high 76s so i said i would give it everything hopefully try and break the 77 mark so i began to sprint. While the mental strength was still there the body didnt want any part of it and made me remember that i had abused it for the last 20.5. the legs completely shut up shop and cramped up something fierce stumbled over the line in 77.09 (my watch had me 77.06 which was confirmed with my chip time later)

Finding my Spanish friend who had pushed me on to such a good time i congratulated him (between my pidgeon spanish and his pidgeon english). I was shocked to see that results were printed out within ten min of my finishing. All my focus on my time i had completely forgotten there was an u23section in the race and i wa shocked to see i had managed second.

All in all I have to say the race was amazing very well organised great goodie bags including loads and for the price of 15e for the race it was nothing and live bands and music throughout the course. The people around the course were really supportive (this could have been the fact that my club colours are the spanish colours so i say alot of people assumed were were spanish :p)

Splits

5k 18.20

10k 36.28 (18.08)

15k 54.35 (18.07)

20k 1.13.09 (18.34)

21k 1.17.06 (3.57)

Finishing time: 1.17.06

Total distance:13.26 miles

Average pace : 5.48 min miles (3.39 min kms)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Thats a great race report ecoli, thanks. Well done on second for your category, thats class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

savage running ecoli well done!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Fair play ecoli - savage result, you deserve it
    Unbelievable fast running

Advertisement