Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House alarm install

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

defaulting can only be done if no engineer code has been set up.
    You are wrong. I have done this more than once.
    Anyway, I'd planned to get it upgraded but the money being asked was outrageous, I'd prefer to do it myself as a project and learn about it
    Go for it! I would suggest that you use a HKC or Astec alarm system and install a GSM module

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Merch wrote: »
    If by wrong crowd, then the GoldenPages should not be allowed to advertise non certed installers.
    The Golden Pages is a business they are not going to refuse business are they??
    If an engineer code can so easily be over-ridden by another alarm installer then what is the point of it?
    I made enquiries about upgrading my alarm and was told they wouldn't give me the engineer code, when I asked about servicing I was told I would have to use them! as no one else would be able to get past the engineer code (for security purposes)
    The process to bypass the engineer lock is a little more complex & the procedure on how to do it is not freely available.
    Without the engineer lock any panel can be disarmed in less than a minute.
    If someone tell you they can't look at your alarm without an engineer code they are lying. They either don't want your business or they are incapable of preforming this simple task. Either way its best not to let them near your alarm.
    I can get a code for my DVD, there are no codes for my washing machine/not needed if I am to change parts in it,I have the unlock code for my phone, it is my decision which SP SIM I will use.
    Microwave as per washing machine.
    I can assure you you do not have all the access codes for your DVD
    or your Phone. The unlock code is not the engineer code.
    Your Microwave & Washing machine do have engineer access codes along with most electronic home applinces.
    You didnt answer about my car/PC examples I presume you dissagree?
    Its anti competitive to lock out the owner from having full authority over something they have paid for i.e. influence who I choose who to get it serviced by.
    Depending on your car there probobly are access codes also. To reset warning indicators etc.
    What servicing needs to be done on a system that has so little in it? that in itself is a joke,
    The insurance companies, the Police & other relevant bodies, who know more than you or I ,would disagree with you.
    I didn't need to do anything on the alarm I fitted for 7 years and I'm not a reg installer. I walk tested it and changed one battery in all that time. I don't think companies advertising themselves as security system installers will be doing anymore.
    Walk testing an alarm will tell you very little.
    Changing a battery is no big deal either.
    Perhaps you should get yourself a copy of the standards to see what should be checked.
    You could quite easily say nothing needs to be done to an alarm for 4 years and that still gives loads of lee-way.
    You could , you could also just drive your car untill the warning lights come on,but that would not only not be advisible it would also be dangerous.
    Leaving your alarm unserviced untill some robber checks if its working & also shows you your insurance is void is also dangerous & stupid.
    It seems to me that the PSA is not for getting rid of the cowboys but protectionism of the business.
    I would like to upgrade my system but I wont limit myself to the actual installer for servicing, maybe most people will be as well off without the code as they will tinker with it and not have a clue what they are doing.
    I have explained to you 3 (along with others) times now tha the engineer code is not limiting you to one installer. What bit do you not understand?
    laws have been made and over written, laws exist that are wrong, this law regarding PSA for all I know and can imagine has been made up by a lobby of security companies, as a vested interest that would be a conflict of interest. I can see this law driving people away from improving security.
    The PSA was not lobbyed for by security companies at all.
    It gives us a lot more work & a lot more headaches.
    They are getting rid of the cowboys slowly but surley but peoples attitudes also need to change.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Depending on your car there probobly are access codes also.
    Yes, you are correct.
    For example with the right code you can reset the mileage on a BMW!! I saw it done once.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

2011 wrote: »
    Yes, you are correct.
    For example with the right code you can reset the mileage on a BMW!! I saw it done once.
    + 1
    Everything now has engineer access codes.
    Why everyone is obsessed with tinkering with their alarm is beyond me.

To answer Merch's question (yet again)
    Without an engineer lock the system can be defaulted & disarmed within
    less than a minute.
    The information on how to do this is easily availible. (its in the manual for gods sake)
    With an engineer lock in place its a longer & more complex procedure.
    But it can be done by a good engineer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

This can be reset! All alarm companies know how and should do it for you, but you cant expect him to give you the engineering code and cert it. I am sure you will find one that will do one or the other. If they did both they would be risking thier reputation.

If you say it can fair enough, maybe I haven't been specific enough, I probably should have said the engineer lock? my manual says it cannot be reprogrammed with lock on the engineer code set, says it needs to go back to the factory, it does give instructions how to default it, but only with out the lock set. I have done that myself so, I'm not ure what is to stop a person that would be unscrupulous from doing that on an upgrade for me?
    You are wrong. I have done this more than once.

Go for it! I would suggest that you use a HKC or Astec alarm system and install a GSM module

I have heard astec is good for a person not completely au fait/as their job at step by step, not sure if that is the same for HKC, I have read elsewhere that signet think 200? is ok but that it is capabple of being accessed remotely so will look into it.

• Advertisement

If you say it can fair enough, maybe I haven't been specific enough, I probably should have said the engineer lock?

Trust me!
    Without engineer lock it can be defaulted quickly. With engineer lock it can be defaulted but it will take another 10 minutes.

The new Astec is great, lots of bells and whistles, my first choice!

The HKC is old, but reliable and will do what you want it to do (I would guess)

koolkid wrote: »
    The Golden Pages is a business they are not going to refuse business are they??

The process to bypass the engineer lock is a little more complex & the procedure on how to do it is not freely available.
    Without the engineer lock any panel can be disarmed in less than a minute.
    If someone tell you they can't look at your alarm without an engineer code they are lying. They either don't want your business or they are incapable of preforming this simple task. Either way its best not to let them near your alarm.

I can assure you you do not have all the access codes for your DVD
    or your Phone. The unlock code is not the engineer code.
    Your Microwave & Washing machine do have engineer access codes along with most electronic home applinces.

Depending on your car there probobly are access codes also. To reset warning indicators etc.

The insurance companies, the Police & other relevant bodies, who know more than you or I ,would disagree with you.

Walk testing an alarm will tell you very little.
    Changing a battery is no big deal either.
    Perhaps you should get yourself a copy of the standards to see what should be checked.

You could , you could also just drive your car untill the warning lights come on,but that would not only not be advisible it would also be dangerous.
    Leaving your alarm unserviced untill some robber checks if its working & also shows you your insurance is void is also dangerous & stupid.

I have explained to you 3 (along with others) times now tha the engineer code is not limiting you to one installer. What bit do you not understand?

The PSA was not lobbyed for by security companies at all.
    It gives us a lot more work & a lot more headaches.
    They are getting rid of the cowboys slowly but surley but peoples attitudes also need to change.

I understand this is peoples livlehood, I am not trying to take that away from them, the law requires someone installing alarms for payment to be certed. I would think anyone, especially advertisers like the golden pages now would not be able to advertise non certed installers. Even still how can any ordinary person that knows nothing about alarms know how good someone is when they turn up at your door?
    Up until now I had thought engineer code/lock limited me to one installer, mostly as that is what I had been told, also because it seems to suggest putting in such a code or lock implies that is what is being done.
    I am aware there other checks that can be done on the integrity of an alarm to confirm this but really the chances of the wiring being affected by deterioration seem unlikely to me over a short period of time.
    koolkid wrote: »
    + 1
    Everything now has engineer access codes.
    Why everyone is obsessed with tinkering with their alarm is beyond me.

To answer Merch's question (yet again)
    Without an engineer lock the system can be defaulted & disarmed within
    less than a minute.
    The information on how to do this is easily availible. (its in the manual for gods sake)
    With an engineer lock in place its a longer & more complex procedure.
    But it can be done by a good engineer

I understand why most people shouldnt tinker, Im from a trade background myself, I worked in maintenance and field service, I would even have liked to get into installing alarms/security at one point, but found getting into it difficult regarding positons available, experience/background.
    I on the other hand I like to tinker, to set things up, I see nothing wrong with that myself, I disliked hearing off people, I didnt touch it when well I knew they had to have done something.

I think a lot of information is available about different devices but alarms is one that I can find the least amount of technical information about ( I assume for obvious reasons)
    It seems like that wont change for people that are more enthusiastic about doing things themself.

Trust me!
    Without engineer lock it can be defaulted quickly. With engineer lock it can be defaulted but it will take another 10 minutes.

The new Astec is great, lots of bells and whistles, my first choice!

The HKC is old, but reliable and will do what you want it to do (I would guess)

I appreciate that information, I wont push too much more, I dont want to get up peoples noses :pac:
    I guess for the people that can afford it can pay to get it done, I currently would prefer to put the money into it and do it myself, just found the prices pushed me more towards that.

Even still how can any ordinary person that knows nothing about alarms know how good someone is when they turn up at your door?

The best is to get a recommendation from someone you know. Prices and quality vary a lot. It is the same with plumbers, electricians etc...
    I am aware there other checks that can be done on the integrity of an alarm to confirm this but really the chances of the wiring being affected by deterioration seem unlikely to me over a short period of time.
    Well all contacts and shock sensors are subject to mechanical wear over time. There are a few things to look for like the resistance of loops creeping up over time. It is good practice to log the resistance of each loop so that you can see if it is increasing.
    Im from a trade background myself, I worked in maintenance and field service
    Then you will be able to pick it up with a bit of practice. Everyone had to start somewhere.

I would think anyone, especially advertisers like the golden pages now would not be able to advertise non certed installers

Alarm companies are not "certed" they are "licensed" by the PSA. I am not suggesting that any of the alarm companies advertising in the Golden Pages are not licensed. What I am saying is that some of the alarm companies that have adds there are good and some are bad. Just because they advertise in a particular way does not mean that they are any good.

It is not the job of Golden Pages to make sure that people advertising with them are reputable.

I dont want to get up peoples noses

Dont worry, if you have questions, ask!

I currently would prefer to put the money into it and do it myself, just found the prices pushed me more towards that.

Go for it, lots of people do thier own alarms now. You will learn lots and if you get stuck post your questions here there are plenty of people here to help you out.
    What have you got to loose??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭altor

Alarm companies are not "certed" they are "licensed" by the PSA.

alarm companies are certified by EN50131-1:2006 this is the standard they have to install there alarms too, without this alarm companies can not get a license from the psa..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Ok so it seems last two pages on this thread is completly off topic.. Wheres the mods?
    I passed through to find people talking about car alarms etc.
    If you would all stop talking crap and perhaps see what the op (me) was originally asking?

It seems you've all gone on some little rant at each other.
    Thanks for nothing.

Your welcome....

Advertisement