Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm going to improve my 5 mile time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

showry wrote: »
    might see you on Friday night, what kind of a time are you aiming for?

I mite try and push for 32:00 from start, will see how I'm feeling through first couple of miles versus target splits. What time u going for yourself?

Will I shout "Hey, showry" at starting line ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

tisnotover wrote: »
    I mite try and push for 32:00 from start, will see how I'm feeling through first couple of miles versus target splits. What time u going for yourself?

Will I shout "Hey, showry" at starting line ;)

I'm hoping to dip just under 32:00 so we might be able to drive each other on. If you ask some of the people in West Waterford vests to point showry out you should be able to find me. I think Sosa & Ike are doing it too so we might arrange to meet somewhere beforehand.

I'm hoping to dip just under 32:00 so we might be able to drive each other on. If you ask some of the people in West Waterford vests to point showry out you should be able to find me. I think Sosa & Ike are doing it too so we might arrange to meet somewhere beforehand.

cool, we mite be able to pace each other, sounds like a good few will be around as well. think Woddle said he mite be around for it, and I see that blind_hurler has his name down as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭aero2k

you'll have to start your own log now sure ;) ...
    Ah no, I'll stick to the running and throw in a post here and there.
    Best of luck on Fri, I'll look forward to you posting a new PB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

Best of luck tomorrow. You´ve got good quality training in so all going well on the day the PB is yours...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Best of luck for the PB tonight. I always find in 5 mile races its the 3rd mile where i lose time and start to doubt the pace i can sustain so dig deep when you start to fade

I've a new PB for 5 miles !?! :D

Ran the GSK 5 mile race in Dungarvan, by my watch in 31:21 tonite.
    Mad rush to get down from Cork after work, but well worth it. 10euro got me a nice t-shirt and a nice goody bag, wasn't expecting either.

Weather looked dodgy on drive down, foggy+misty, but Dungarvan was fine. Hoped to push 32:00 tonite, going for similar splits to the 4 mile race I ran last week.

Splits as follows:

Mile 1: 5:58
    Mile 2: 6:18
    Mile 3: 6:33
    Mile 4: 6:18
    Mile 5: 6:15

Went out way too fast for first mile + got a small bit worried for a while that i'd pay for it later on.
    Mile 2, was ok, bit of a drag in one spot, but found mile 3 the toughest, in my head I was regretting the fast start, and was giving anything to get up the hills.
    Remember seeing the 4 mile mark on the way out, and knew there was another bit of a climb in 4th mile, but most of it was flat.Mind-games were really going during 4th mile, but when I passed the 4th mile marker, I saw that I was still on track for the PB, so gave it my all for last mile.
    Fifth mile had a bit of a climb at start, and then downhill to finish, really put in effort here to finish strong +couldn't believe it when I saw the clock at finish.

As ya can tell, I had a good race. Overall it is a fast course, but it still has hills+drags, but nothing heart-stopping. There are plenty of tougher 5 mile courses I can think of in Cork+don't think i'd push the time I did tonite on them yet.

Legs are sore now, but thats ok, they haven't ran that fast before ;)

Friday's Summary(10/07/09):
    Distance: 5.0miles (+1mile warm-up, 1mile warm-down)
    Time: 31:21
    Avg Pace: 6:16min/mile
    Avg HR: 179

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Congrats on pb! You held the pace despite a fast start, must have been tough. Great work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

I've a new PB for 5 miles !?! :D

Ran the GSK 5 mile race in Dungarvan, by my watch in 31:21 tonite.
    Mad rush to get down from Cork after work, but well worth it. 10euro got me a nice t-shirt and a nice goody bag, wasn't expecting either.

Weather looked dodgy on drive down, foggy+misty, but Dungarvan was fine. Hoped to push 32:00 tonite, going for similar splits to the 4 mile race I ran last week.

Splits as follows:

Mile 1: 5:58
    Mile 2: 6:18
    Mile 3: 6:33
    Mile 4: 6:18
    Mile 5: 6:15

Went out way too fast for first mile + got a small bit worried for a while that i'd pay for it later on.
    Mile 2, was ok, bit of a drag in one spot, but found mile 3 the toughest, in my head I was regretting the fast start, and was giving anything to get up the hills.
    Remember seeing the 4 mile mark on the way out, and knew there was another bit of a climb in 4th mile, but most of it was flat.Mind-games were really going during 4th mile, but when I passed the 4th mile marker, I saw that I was still on track for the PB, so gave it my all for last mile.
    Fifth mile had a bit of a climb at start, and then downhill to finish, really put in effort here to finish strong +couldn't believe it when I saw the clock at finish.

As ya can tell, I had a good race. Overall it is a fast course, but it still has hills+drags, but nothing heart-stopping. There are plenty of tougher 5 mile courses I can think of in Cork+don't think i'd push the time I did tonite on them yet.

Legs are sore now, but thats ok, they haven't ran that fast before ;)

Friday's Summary(10/07/09):
    Distance: 5.0miles (+1mile warm-up, 1mile warm-down)
    Time: 31:21
    Avg Pace: 6:16min/mile
    Avg HR: 179

Great time, sorry I didn't see you there but then again you would have been way to far ahead of me from the start :)

I enjoyed this run and like the t-shirt and goody bag too.. that and chip timing all for 10euro that's what I call value for money :pac:

• Advertisement

asimonov wrote: »
    Congrats on pb! You held the pace despite a fast start, must have been tough. Great work.

yep, must try more even paced running (hard to do though!)

Great time, sorry I didn't see you there but then again you would have been way to far ahead of me from the start :)

I enjoyed this run and like the t-shirt and goody bag too.. that and chip timing all for 10euro that's what I call value for money :pac:

glad ya had a good race as well, we'll def have to go back next year for t-shirt alone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Great time well done! you seem to have enjoyed it like the rest of us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

great time, well done,
    I must have been just behind you.
    Looking at your splits I'd say you were with a bloke from work that I was chasing down and didn't catch.
    Well done again.

Great time and there's definitely more to come off that PB before end of summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭aero2k

Well done on that PB, fantastic progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

great run and PB well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Well done...it was tough...but worthwhile in the end...

ike wrote: »
    Great time well done! you seem to have enjoyed it like the rest of us!

great result yourself too, just read ure race report.
    great time, well done,
    I must have been just behind you.
    Looking at your splits I'd say you were with a bloke from work that I was chasing down and didn't catch.
    Well done again.

think u were closing me down very fast in last mile, ure last mile split was very fast!
    Gringo78 wrote: »
    Great time and there's definitely more to come off that PB before end of summer

thanks Gringo, there may be something in that. Over last few weeks mileage build-up and tempo running has been main focus, but def more quality tempo running can be done, as well as getting some interval training in. If i could get same time in Ballycotton 5, I'd take that though!
    aero2k wrote: »
    Well done on that PB, fantastic progress.
    SUNGOD wrote: »
    great run and PB well done
    Sosa wrote: »
    Well done...it was tough...but worthwhile in the end...

thanks aero2k, SUNGOD,Sosa.
    Its re-assuring to see this training paying off, first time i've ever attempted some form of structured training. It all goes back to the posts from Tergat that I really took on board, about doing fewer races+focusing on building up mileage base.

Big thanks to Tergat!!

Congrats on the PB, the hard training paid off well and just goes to show what a more focused training schedule can do! So, dare I ask what your next target is?:p

Congrats on the PB, the hard training paid off well and just goes to show what a more focused training schedule can do! So, dare I ask what your next target is?:p

Thanks another world.

Focus now is gonna be on training for a sub 1:30 half-marathon in September I think. Have a good base going now, just need to improve quality of tempo running and add in some 0.5mile /1 mile intervals. Happy at length of long runs for moment, but may extend them a bit in a few weeks.

Hope on way to have a crack at a sub 19:00 5k, and maybe see another improvement in 5 mile time.

This log title may need to be changed...;)

Yesterday was a rest day (did not like look of rain outside), but got out this morning for my long run.Had a few beers last nite, so set out handy enough, run felt grand today though, much easier to get out running after having a good race.
    Did get caught out in a shower at one stage, but only lasted a few mins.

Kept away from hill in Monkstown today, and just ran flatter out+back loop from Harty's Quay to Blackrock taking in a loop of marina 5k route, before heading back.

Following reading Gringo's post yesterday, have now reconfigured my 205, to display current lap pace and overall average pace on one of the other views. Definately much easier+stable reading of pace, this should def help with tempo runs this week.

Sunday's Summary(12/07/09):

Distance: 11.03miles
    Time: 1:30:42
    Avg Pace: 8:15min/mile
    Avg HR: 155

Summary for this weeks mileage now below. Official results for GSK 5 mile, put me at 31:23 (70th place). Looking at data in SportsTracks, see that I have an unofficial pb for 5k as well at 19:31, so happy days, its been a good week!

Week 5 Mileage Summary:

Mon: 6.85miles
    Tues: 5.66 miles (incl. tempo run)
    Wed: 5.92miles
    Thurs: 0 miles (REST)
    Fri: 7.0 miles (5 mile race in 31:23, new PB)
    Sat: 0 miles (REST)
    Sun: 11 miles

TOTAL: 36.4 miles

• Advertisement

Easy paced run at farm after work, ground was grand, considering all rain we had.

Legs were a bit tired today, putting it down to sunday's long run. Normally would do the long run on a sat morn, and have a rest day on d sunday!

Hopefully will get a tempo run in tomorrow. Looking around at different half marathon plans now for Blarney in September.

Monday's Summary(13/07/09):

Distance: 5.34miles
    Time: 43:21
    Avg Pace: 8:07min/mile
    Avg HR: 150

Tuesday nite is tempo nite, well has been lately anyhow!

Aim was for 25mins at 6:50min/mile.Found this much easier tonite, setup garmin to show average lap pace as well as net average pace, and found it really helped.

Farm was like a mud-bath in parts this evening, still, loads of gang were running around it though.

Tuesday's Summary(14/07/09):
    Total Distance: 6.36miles included:
    10min warmup - easy pace
    25mins tempo pace (averaged 6:48 min/mile, avHR 171)
    12min warmdown - easy pace

Easy paced run at farm, no rain, no wind, perfect conditions, just a pity I felt a bit tired today, only realise now that this was 4 days in a row running, normally would only have done three days in a row and then rest.

Needless to say tomorrow is def a rest day. Hopefully will be fresh to attempt an interval session on Friday then.

Wednesday's Summary(15/07/09):
    Distance: 6.27miles
    Time: 51:03
    Avg Pace: 8:08min/mile
    Avg HR: 151

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

You're going great TNO, any ideas on which half marathon plan for blarney? The runningtimes.com site has some medium and high mileage plans that look good to my eye, but I've never done a specific one before. Have you a goal time in mind?

asimonov wrote: »
    You're going great TNO, any ideas on which half marathon plan for blarney? The runningtimes.com site has some medium and high mileage plans that look good to my eye, but I've never done a specific one before. Have you a goal time in mind?

Yeah, I've been looking at same ones as Gringo78 has on his log.

This one on runners world website:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-258-12006-0,00.html

and this one: http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/adv.htm

Both are similar enough, but prefer structure of the runners world one. Bones of it are three key runs per week, tempo, intervals and long run.

I ran Blarney last year in 1:34 off no proper training at all. Its a tough course, but this year I'm hoping to get under 1:30.

Was thinking it mite be good to get a 10mile race in maybe 3/4 weeks before it+get a better idea of where I am. Will be hard to judge otherwise off just training and odd 5 mile race...

Was thinking it mite be good to get a 10mile race in maybe 3/4 weeks before it+get a better idea of where I am. Will be hard to judge otherwise off just training and odd 5 mile race...

Hard to find 10 mile races in the summer....I think with good half marathon training a recent 5 mile race time in McMillan is a good estimation of the roughly the pace you could be aiming at on race day. My attitude used to be do a 10 mile race to see where you're at pace wise but with about 8 weeks to go to the Cork HM I find that a 10 mile race takes up a whole day, to be a proper pace test you need to have rested 2/3 days beforehand, a 10 mile race takes a lot out of you so will affect the quality of any sessions for the following week/10days post race.....I think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.

My plan for HM is to stick to the training plan - tempo / interval / long run each week and not let races interfere with it and then see what time I can get on race day....and then start the process again for the Waterford HM. The runners world plan is a 10 week one, there is 13 weeks between Cork & Waterford so that means I can recover after the Cork race and then do the full 10 week program again, hopefully hitting the required intensity in the intervals & tempos right from the start of the plan second time round.

Hard to find 10 mile races in the summer....I think with good half marathon training a recent 5 mile race time in McMillan is a good estimation of the roughly the pace you could be aiming at on race day. My attitude used to be do a 10 mile race to see where you're at pace wise but with about 8 weeks to go to the Cork HM I find that a 10 mile race takes up a whole day, to be a proper pace test you need to have rested 2/3 days beforehand, a 10 mile race takes a lot out of you so will affect the quality of any sessions for the following week/10days post race.....I think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.

My plan for HM is to stick to the training plan - tempo / interval / long run each week and not let races interfere with it and then see what time I can get on race day....and then start the process again for the Waterford HM. The runners world plan is a 10 week one, there is 13 weeks between Cork & Waterford so that means I can recover after the Cork race and then do the full 10 week program again, hopefully hitting the required intensity in the intervals & tempos right from the start of the plan second time round.

Thanks Gringo.

I'm starting to see more of the disadvantages as well. The key one being the recovery after the 10miler itself if I went+raced it.I know for sure that I wouldn't get the tempo/interval work in, the week after at least. Also, have a couple of disrupted weeks coming up with work/hols, so will need to try+get in the tempo/interval/long run in each week.

The progression of that "race-sim" workout in the runners rorld plan might be a better metric to get a feel for how things are going, as per every couple weeks you run more miles in long run at target race pace + (20s/30s).

First attempt at an interval session in a long long time, last time was about 3 months ago and that was a 400m session.

Plan was for 10min warm-up, then 8*0.5mile @ 6.15->6:20min/mile pace, with 1:45min active (jog) recovery between repeats. Finally 10min warmdown. All this setup in garmin and off we went ;)

Summary of 0.5mile time splits and HR in brackets:

Int Time (HR)
    3:11 (169)
    3:07 (170)
    3:07 (171)
    3:11 (173)
    3:07 (173)
    3:08 (174)
    3:08 (175)
    3:08 (175)

Overall average: 3:08 (173)

Happy out with splits, wanted to take it handy enough for first one, not sure what happened with 4th one to be honest, but other 6 were all fine. Used the "average lap pace" on garmin to keep eye on pace+worked really well (Thanks Gringo!).
    Last two intervals were hard and felt myself working a bit more, can see that in HR as well!

Friday's Summary(17/07/09):
    Total Distance: 8.03miles
    Time: 59:09
    Avg Pace: 7:22min/mile
    Avg HR: 164

Very good session. Try 1km splits next time out with half the interval recovery. You get a real good feeling when you actually complete last split.

Very good session. Try 1km splits next time out with half the interval recovery. You get a real good feeling when you actually complete last split.

yeah, wasn't sure if i'd get the 8*800m in yesterday, but was grand. ran this at what I think is my 5km pace+10s (Tergat's CV rep pace). yeah should move on to 1km this week hopefully.
    def a good feeling when session goes well, time flies during them!

• Advertisement

Had a lovely early run this morning on my usual route from Harty's Quay to Monkstown+back over hill. No wind out, sea was really calm, and not too warm.

Felt like I was half asleep for first couple of miles, even though pace was fine, was like I was on auto-pilot!
    Legs weren't too bad at all considering the interval work yesterday, and as I got towards end of run, felt like I could have kept going for a good while more...

Read somewhere that ya shouldn't both increase weekly mileage in same week as adding harder workouts (which I did this week with interval work).

90mins running is enough for my long run at moment I think anyway, but good feeling to know that I had more in the tank.

Saturday's Summary(18/07/09):
    Total Distance: 11.4miles
    Time: 1:32:05
    Avg Pace: 8:05min/mile
    Avg HR: 150

Nice going on the Interval training. How did you find the pace? too hard, too easy?

On the LSR, 90mins seems grand for now but I think they should go up to about 2hrs for HM training. More of a gut instinct than anything else. I wish I had a few 2hr ones under my belt at this stage, I´d feel more confident with the distance and endurance.

Impressive training btw!

Nice going on the Interval training. How did you find the pace? too hard, too easy?

On the LSR, 90mins seems grand for now but I think they should go up to about 2hrs for HM training. More of a gut instinct than anything else. I wish I had a few 2hr ones under my belt at this stage, I´d feel more confident with the distance and endurance.

Impressive training btw!

Pace was fine to be honest. I wasn't running it at 5km pace, but about 10s back off it. Its fine I think for the half marathon training, real test will be when I do the 1k repeats next time+how pace will feel then.

Agree.2hrs would bring me upto about 14/15 miles i'd say, which would be great. There's also a 15mile race 4weeks after the half marathon, so the longer "long runs" would help this too.

Your training seems fine to me another world, your long run early this week showed that+running at that pace.Ure def in good shape for a good race.Are ya planning to use a couple of gels in race btw, I did last year+felt they gave me a boost.

Enjoy the taper...

Pace was fine to be honest. I wasn't running it at 5km pace, but about 10s back off it. Its fine I think for the half marathon training, real test will be when I do the 1k repeats next time+how pace will feel then.

Agree.2hrs would bring me upto about 14/15 miles i'd say, which would be great. There's also a 15mile race 4weeks after the half marathon, so the longer "long runs" would help this too.

Your training seems fine to me another world, your long run early this week showed that+running at that pace.Ure def in good shape for a good race.Are ya planning to use a couple of gels in race btw, I did last year+felt they gave me a boost.

Enjoy the taper...

I think I´ll be grand without the gels. There are gatorade stalls every 3k or so and I´m going to eat pretty good (major carb loading!) for the next week or two. TBH I´ve never used them so I´ll hold off until I can practice with them beforehand.

I think I´ll be grand without the gels. There are gatorade stalls every 3k or so and I´m going to eat pretty good (major carb loading!) for the next week or two. TBH I´ve never used them so I´ll hold off until I can practice with them beforehand.

Yeah, gels can be funny, but ure dead right, shouldn't have anything in a race that ya haven't used before...
    Enjoy the carb-loading bit ;)

Week 6 Mileage Summary:
    Mon: 5.34miles
    Tues: 6.36 miles (incl. 25min tempo run)
    Wed: 6.27miles
    Fri: 8.0 miles (included 8*800m intervals)
    Sat: 11.4 miles
    Sun: 0 miles (REST)

TOTAL: 37.4 miles

Overall a good week. Got my first interval session in, as well as doing tempo run in same week+keeping same mileage.Training has been going well lately, and have settled into getting out 5 days/week.

Next week is going to be broken up a bit. Have to travel to Dublin with work for a few days+heading to U2 on Friday(can't wait!). Will get out running when I can though.

Was looking forward to getting out for this run all day, tough day at work in trying to get ready for customer meetings in Dublin later this week.

Would normally keep these easy runs pace at over 8 min/mile, but found myself running a bit under it this evening, and hr wasn't too high so kept it going. Hopefully a tempo session tomorrow.

Monday's Summary(20/07/09):
    Distance: 5.83miles
    Time: 45:31
    Avg Pace: 7:49min/mile
    Avg HR: 155

30min tempo run tonite@farm. was aiming for 4miles, but was feeling good, so extended it to 30mins. managing these way easier now.

last run now i'd say till sat/sun, off to Dublin early in morning...customer meetings :o + then U2 on Friday :p

Tuesday's Summary(21/07/09):
    Total Distance: 7.1miles included:
    10min warmup - easy pace
    30mins tempo pace (averaged 6:41 min/mile, avHR 171)
    11min warmdown - easy pace

Well, I'm back from Dublin. U2 were class last nite, apart from Bono's political ramblings...could do without that...

Got a run in before dinner.Nice and easy, apart from the wind, which was strong enough running into it.

Saturday's Summary(25/07/09):
    Distance: 4.90miles
    Time: 39:18
    Avg Pace: 8:01min/mile
    Avg HR: 153

• Advertisement

Went for my long run this morn.started out dry but knew those showers were going to come!

Plan was to do 4 miles easy first, then 4miles at 7:15->7:20min/mile av pace, then fill rest with easy paced running. This is supposed to be a "race-sim" workout according to the Ryan Hall half-marathon programme.

The "race-sim" pace is meant to be at your goal half pace plus 20-30s.

Felt good though+a welcome change to the normal long easy paced run!
    Sunday's Summary(26/07/09):
    Distance: 11.80miles (included 4miles at 7:15min/mile av pace)
    Time: 1:32:05
    Avg Pace: 7:48min/mile
    Avg HR: 159

Week 7 Mileage Summary:
    Mon: 5.83miles
    Tues: 7.1miles (incl. 30min tempo run)
    Wed: 0 miles (REST)
    Fri: 0 miles (REST)
    Sat: 4.90miles
    Sun: 11.8 miles

TOTAL: 29.6 miles

Due to work, this turned out to be a step-back week, which isn't a bad thing I think. Will aim to get interval+tempo back into same week again this week.
    Next race for me looks like the Novartis 5k.Its a hilly course but will be a good replacement for an interval session.

easy paced run after work at farm. nothing too serious,just a nice handy run.
    hope to get either a tempo/interval session in tomorrow.

ran by hr, keeping it in 150->155 range.

Monday's Summary(27/07/09):
    Distance: 5.37miles
    Time: 43:42
    Avg Pace: 8:09min/mile

plan was for a 20min tempo run tonite@farm. pace was to be at a "hard tempo" according to plan, and aimed for 6:30->6.35 min/mile.

raining all day made ground real soft+tough going, more like cross-country conditions running around! Two other lads looked like they were at the same tempo lark so I wasn't the only mad one running around in the rain ;)

Summary below:

Tuesday's Summary(28/07/09):
    Total Distance: 6.94miles included:
    15min warmup - easy pace
    20mins tempo pace (averaged 6:31 min/mile, avHR 173)
    15min warmdown - easy pace

Finding it easier to keep pace now on these runs, conditions weren't great underfoot but a good workout for legs...

Finding it easier to keep pace now on these runs, conditions weren't great underfoot but a good workout for legs...

Good session, tis those tough miles in the rain that stand to you later in the last few miles of a race

easy paced run after work at farm.
    fair stormy out for a while with thunder+lightning, but it passed+I got a nice run in. tomorrow is a rest day. 1k intervals then on Friday.Heading to London for weekend.

Wednesday's Summary(29/07/09):
    Distance: 5.35miles
    Time: 42:34
    Avg Pace: 7:57min/mile

Have the day off work today, group of us heading to london for weekend, taking in the pre-season tournament at emirates...

I couldn't have picked a worse morning to do 1k intervals. The fields out at the farm were pretty wet+it was pissing it out with a strong wind blowing the rain into me for ~300m each lap!

Plan was for 10min warm-up, then 5*1k @ 6:15min/mile pace (~3:55min/km), with 2min active (jog) recovery between repeats. Finally 10min warmdown. All this setup in garmin and off we went :o

Summary of 1k time splits and HR in brackets:

Int Time (HR)
    3:55 (172)
    3:56 (176)
    3:57 (176)
    3:55 (175)
    3:58 (177)

Overall average: 3:56 (175)

This was really tough today from the off.And I was wondering even after 1st interval could I keep it going.Two weeks ago I ran 8*0.5mile in completely different conditions+it felt much easier.This morning was really hard.
    To be honest, I prob should have stepped back another 5/10seconds off interval pace to take into account the conditions. I'll know better next time!!

Friday's Summary(31/07/09):
    Total Distance: 7.05miles
    Time: 51:18
    Avg Pace: 7:17min/mile
    Avg HR: 163

• Advertisement

To be honest, I prob should have stepped back another 5/10seconds off interval pace to take into account the conditions. I'll know better next time!!

Ah you were right not to step back the pace....even though you didn't hit the target time you wouldn't have hit the times you did if you had mentally stopped aiming for 3:55 before you started. Good session there....are you noticing it becoming easier to hit the 6:15 pace? Are you going to hit 8x0.5miles as the next interval session or the 2 mile, 2x1mile 2x0.5 mile session....i found that one the toughest by far of all the ones of done (and its up on my program again next monday!!)

Had a bit of a mad weekend in London there, 5 of us went over to see a few matches yesterday.

Got a 4.5mile run in this evening (needed to sweat all that Stella out of my system) + def feel in better of it now. Wet+Windy, unchanged really from my run at farm on Friday. Left the heart rate monitor at home (prob best not to luck at it after wknd ;))

Can't believe its August already the summer is gone!

Sunday's Summary(02/08/09):
    Total Distance: 4.5miles
    Time: 35:38
    Avg Pace: 7:55min/mile
    Avg HR: n/a

Week 8 summary is below. No long run this week. Last couple of weeks have been broken up a bit with work+hols. But still have kept tempo+interval work going. Things will be back to normal this week+also will do a 5k race on wednesday.

Week 8 Mileage Summary:
    Mon: 5.37miles
    Tues: 6.94miles (incl. 20min fast tempo run)
    Wed: 5.35 miles
    Fri: 7.05 miles (5*1k intervals)
    Sat: 0 miles (LONDON)
    Sun: 4.5 miles

TOTAL: 29.2 miles

Ah you were right not to step back the pace....even though you didn't hit the target time you wouldn't have hit the times you did if you had mentally stopped aiming for 3:55 before you started. Good session there....are you noticing it becoming easier to hit the 6:15 pace? Are you going to hit 8x0.5miles as the next interval session or the 2 mile, 2x1mile 2x0.5 mile session....i found that one the toughest by far of all the ones of done (and its up on my program again next monday!!)

The 6:15pace wasn't that comfortable at all on Friday but i'm excusing it because of the wind/rain. I did 8*0.5mile two weeks ago + that was fine though.

I'm a bit afraid of that 2mile->2*1mile->2*0.5mile session to be honest, as there is a big jump in the interval distance. I've gone 8*800m to 5*1km now, + I think I mite do 4*1200m next time round, then 6*1k after.

Best of luck with that workout tomorrow ;)

Was in two minds about doing a tempo run this morning, said I'd decide after warm-up. After 10min, still not feeling great, but a guy from st.finbarrs joined in running with me, first time this has happened at farm+ I was glad of company!
    Ran 20mins with him at 7:15min/mile before he headed home (i'd say he was running an hour at that pace before he met me).
    Was feeling fine then+said i'd push on for 20mins at 6:45min/mile, followed by an easy paced 10min warm-down.

A strange type of run+not really to the Ryan Hall half training plan, but really wasn't upto doing a 5/6mile run at 6:45min/mile today.
    Was glad of company+good to have a chat, mainly talked about joining a running club with him.Seemed to have worked for him, as he ran under 29mins for 5miles last week.Maybe its about time I didto try it out at least...

Monday's Summary(03/08/09):

Total Distance: 8.32miles included:
    10min warmup - easy pace
    40min @ 7:01min/mile (1st 20: 7:15, 2nd 20: 6:45)
    10min warmdown - easy pace

Was looking over running stats in SportTracks yesterday, + said i'd add a table to this log. Table below shows monthly mileage totals and number of days run each month (I will update this at the end of each month)

Year 2009|Jan|Feb|March|April|May|June|July|Aug|Sep|Oct|Nov|Dec|TOTAL
    Number of miles run|26|47|42|71|59|127|160|-|-|-|-|-|532
    Number of days run|4|6|8|12|9|18|22|-|-|-|-|-|79

I started this log in June, and since then my training has been much more consistent. Looking at mileage, June+July account for more than half my total mileage for year!

Lets keep this going says I....

• Advertisement
Advertisement