Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm going to improve my 5 mile time

• 10-06-2009 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭

yep, thats the plan!

decided to start a training log. posted a thread "how best to improve 5 mile time" other day (link below) and have to say thanks to all who replied, shels and tergat especially. really feel motivated to give this a go now.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055586346

my training has been on/off last few weeks, but this has to change. also with the feedback received, I am going to put the local races off for a while and the soccer is going on hold.

I've been running last couple of years and really enjoy it, do the local road races down here in Cork (some in Waterford). Average race distance would be 5 miles, have done four 10-milers this year and did the half marathon in Blarney in 2008.

Tonite I ran 32:54 in the "Glanmire 5", delighted with this as I hoped to get under 33m based on some recent times.lovely evening for running and not the flattest of courses.

Aim is to get out running upto 5 days/week, with 2 harder workouts a week (CV,LT), a long run at weekend, the rest with easy running and do this CONSISTENTLY (per Tergat) over next while.

The races are now on hold for moment for me.I want to experiment +commit to this first. After a couple of weeks, I'd hope to pick out some target races + see if any improvements occur.

Keep ye posted!

Summary of training so far this week:

Week 1:
    Mon: 6miles easy in 48:30. pace 8:05m/mile
    Tues: 4.5miles easy. 36mins, pace 8:00m/mile
    Wed: Glanmire 5 road race, 32:54, pace 6:35m/mile

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Congrats on a good time, best of luck with the training. You seem very focused, so no doubt you'll see big improvments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Woddle wrote: »
    Congrats on a good time, best of luck with the training. You seem very focused, so no doubt you'll see big improvments.

Thanks Woddle.
    I feel really motivated lately which is great.I think the log will be a good idea too as it'll help keep me honest!

Training Update:
    Thurs: Rest day ;)

Half thought about giving some tempo running a go this evening, but legs not fully right after race wed nite.

still had an enjoyable run on grass though, really nice out and not too warm.legs feeling good afterwards, so def made the right decision!

Mr. Garmin says:

Distance: 6.02miles
    Time: 48.17
    Avg Pace: 8.01min/mile
    Avg HR: 156

5*20s strides afterwards.

Hope to get a long run done early tomorrow + that'll do me for week.

Early morning long run this morning, nice enough out, only mistake I made was in forgetting vaseline (paid for that at end!)

Run was from Harty's Quay to Monkstown and back via recycling plant to Harty's Quay. Its a good run as its flat for early part, with a big climb for about 1 mile after ~6miles.
    Starting out was tough going (felt half asleep) but managed to extend run by couple of miles at end as legs were ok.

Summary:
    Distance: 11.2miles
    Time: 1:31:25
    Avg Pace: 8.09min/mile
    Avg HR: 158

As tomorrow is a definite rest day, here is a summary of mileage for this week.

Week 1 Mileage Summary:

Mon: 6miles
    Tues: 4.5miles
    Wed: 5miles (RACE and pb!)
    Thurs: 0 miles
    Fri: 6.2miles
    Sat: 11.2miles
    Sun: 0 miles

TOTAL: 32.9 miles

So this week, for the first time in two years I've managed to fit 5 runs into the one week!!The trick now will be to keep this going over next couple!

Next week, the plan is to keep mileage approx. same, but to have two tempo running sessions early and late in week, the rest of mileage all easy paced.

Kevin

Easy paced run after work out at farm, tough going underfoot, couple of downpours earlier made it a good bit wet. Felt tired enough to be honest starting out, but grand after a while.

Hopefully a tempo run tomorrow...

Today's Summary:
    Distance: 5.62miles
    Time: 45:29
    Avg Pace: 8.06min/mile
    Avg HR: 153

• Advertisement

First attempt at tempo run tonite on grass. Didn't have garmin setup correctly, so no alerts as to whether pace was on track or not!
    Aimed for 3*10mins @ tempo pace of 6:55min/mile

Ran this a bit fast tonite from off, should keep it to 6:55 next time.But looking at it now, I was comfortable enough, HR was ok as well.

It will be different the next time when I step up the run and aim for a 20mins tempo, note to self, start off slower, its not a RACE!

Today's Summary:
    Total Distance: 6.75miles included:
    10min warmup - easy pace
    3*10mins with 2min rest inbetween.
    10min warmdown - easy pace
    Avg Tempo Pace: 6:45min/mile
    Avg Tempo HR: 168

easy paced run after work. legs grand after yesterday, though i'm looking forward to a rest day now tomorrow.

loads of people out running this evening, great to see!

Today's Summary:
    Distance: 5.88miles
    Time: 47:40
    Avg Pace: 8.07min/mile

I've been looking at my race times and how they compare to what the McMillan calculator predicts.

McMillan Link below:
    http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

Race Distance|Race Time|McMillan Calculator Estimated Race Time|
    5 km|19:48|19:52|
    4 mile|25:42|26:00|
    5 mile|32:56|32:56|
    10 km|41:16|41:17|
    10 mile|1:08:56|1:09:10|

Note: These race times have all been produced since the start of this year.
    and the input time and distance is 32:56 / 5miles

Comments:
    There's good correlation between the projected race times and those I've actually recorded which is great to see+shows that I've reached a good level.

If I do manage to improve my 5 mile time(per blog title), it will open up a new range of times to hit across the 5km -> 10 mile range.

Interested to hear peoples comments on this and if they've done similar comparison with McMillan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I may have missed it but what is the target race and target time, I too am hoping to pb in the 5 mile in the park next month, current is 33'07 but I would like to go under 32'30. So curious to see what sessions your doing.

Woddle wrote: »
    I may have missed it but what is the target race and target time, I too am hoping to pb in the 5 mile in the park next month, current is 33'07 but I would like to go under 32'30. So curious to see what sessions your doing.

Hi Woddle,

I haven't set the target race yet. I do know the time to aim for and that is to get to 32:30 for 5 miles with the longer plan to get under 32:00.

There are plenty of 5 mile races around Cork in next month but i'm not sure which one to go for.

Last week, I got five good runs in, and this week I hope to do the same with some tempo running added + to keep tempo runs going and good mileage for next few weeks. Then with that base, maybe I'll pick out a race?

Ure doing some great running yourself by the way, be interesting to see how we both get on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

tisnotover wrote: »
    I've been looking at my race times and how they compare to what the McMillan calculator predicts.

McMillan Link below:
    http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

Race Distance|Race Time|McMillan Calculator Estimated Race Time|
    5 km|19:48|19:52|
    4 mile|25:42|26:00|
    5 mile|32:56|32:56|
    10 km|41:16|41:17|
    10 mile|1:08:56|1:09:10|

Note: These race times have all been produced since the start of this year.
    and the input time and distance is 32:56 / 5miles

Comments:
    There's good correlation between the projected race times and those I've actually recorded which is great to see+shows that I've reached a good level.

If I do manage to improve my 5 mile time(per blog title), it will open up a new range of times to hit across the 5km -> 10 mile range.

Interested to hear peoples comments on this and if they've done similar comparison with McMillan.

I always consider the times on McMillan to be the ideal world situation, when they start extrapulating marathon times from a 5km time I start to have my doubts.

I guess for the distances your doing 5k to 10k it´s probably about right and gives you a good set of targets to aim for.

What are your times like for the other distances?

I always consider the times on McMillan to be the ideal world situation, when they start extrapulating marathon times from a 5km time I start to have my doubts.

I guess for the distances your doing 5k to 10k it´s probably about right and gives you a good set of targets to aim for.

What are your times like for the other distances?

oh don't get me wrong def agree on the 5km to marathon thing!

these are best times like, there's plenty of hillier races where i've had slower times.
    The only other longer distance I've ran is a half marathon last year in 1:34.

I'd hope to get that down to 1:31/1:32 later this year (in same race) if I can keep this training going...

Tempo paced run after work, legs were fine after rest yesterday, though I was a bit sore-ish, in muscles I hadn't felt before, as I attempted a "core workout" yesterday for first time:
    (link:http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-263--13030-3-1X2X3X4-5,00.html)

Today's Summary:
    Total Distance: 6.1miles included:
    10min warmup - easy pace
    20mins tempo pace (averaged 6:45, avHR 169)
    2min rest
    5mins tempo pace (averaged 6:47, avHR 170)

A nice workout, but pace again a little bit too fast maybe. Will attempt same workout again next week, maybe look at balancing pace, a bit more.

Tomorrow, hopefully a long-ish run in morning.Hopefully these muscle pains will ease ;)

Long-ish run this morning, usual loop from Harty's Quay to Monkstown, back over hill. Ran with friend of mine, who hadn't seen route before + didn't expect hill to be as long as it is i'd say!

Fair heat there this morning in fairness, started out after ten, whereas ran same route at 8am last week.

Grand easy paced run, could have ran on for a couple more miles i'd say at end, but was thinking of total mileage for week, and not increasing it too much.

HR was also low enough, which is good to see.

Summary:
    Distance: 10.65miles
    Time: 1:33:12
    Avg Pace: 8.45min/mile
    Avg HR: 149

Tomorrow is a rest day, so summary of mileage for this week below.

Week 2 Mileage Summary:
    Mon: 5.62miles
    Tues: 6.75miles (included tempo workout)
    Wed: 5.88miles
    Thurs: 0 miles (core workout attempt)
    Fri: 6.1miles (included tempo workout)
    Sat: 10.65miles

TOTAL: 35.0 miles

Positives:
    Intro to tempo running done + managed two workouts.
    Slight increase in total mileage from last week.
    5 days of running again this week.
    Feeling better tonite compared to last sat.

Negatives:
    Bit sore still after core workout attempt
    Missing some local races...need to pick out a 4/5 mile race now and test the water!
    Tempo workouts could be done at a fraction slower pace+ maybe some of the easy runs as well.

Rest day today, so plenty of time to think about things (inbetween eating nearly a packet of figrolls!)

I've picked out a target 5 mile race, the Glaxo 5 mile in dungarvan on July 10th.
    The week before, there is a BHAA 4 mile on 1st July (Stryker 4).I'm not going to taper for this one (I will for the 5 mile), its just to have a good blow-out.

Week 3 starts tomorrow, so similar plan to last week, with 2*tempo runs and maybe increase the long run a bit, getting into this now...

Wow, some heat there this evening.usual run out at farm after work. didn't sleep too well last nite + poor day at work but still eager out to get a run in!

Heart rate was ok to start I thought, but climbed a bit, so dropped pace to bring it back. Found heat really tough going as well, how did people run that marathon in Cork in that heat!?!

Want to do a tempo run tomorrow, but may switch it to wed, depends how I feel during warm-up.

Today's Summary:

Distance: 6.42miles
    Time: 53:17
    Avg Pace: 8.18min/mile
    Avg HR: 158

We're having a heat wave at moment!

tempo run postponed, found I had really heavy legs this evening, so just did an easy run. ran by hr and not by pace, as was afraid it would be high-ish like last nite, so kept it in 150-155 range. Not used to this heat at all!!

Today's Summary:
    Distance: 6.8miles
    Time: 56:57
    Avg Pace: 8:23min/mile

Got some tempo running in after work, didn't feel as hot out today, as there was a good wind.

Had done 3*10mins last wed, and was thinking of doing same, but after the warmup, felt good so opted for giving 2*15mins tempo a go.

much happier with pace today, felt it was a bit more controlled. tired out now and am glad of rest day tomorrow.

Today's Summary:
    Total Distance: 6.85miles included:
    10min warmup - easy pace
    15mins tempo pace (averaged 6:50, avHR 169)
    2min rest
    15mins tempo pace (averaged 6:49, avHR 170)
    2min rest

Got some tempo running in after work, didn't feel as hot out today, as there was a good wind.

Had done 3*10mins last wed, and was thinking of doing same, but after the warmup, felt good so opted for giving 2*15mins tempo a go.

much happier with pace today, felt it was a bit more controlled. tired out now and am glad of rest day tomorrow.

Today's Summary:
    Total Distance: 6.85miles included:
    10min warmup - easy pace
    15mins tempo pace (averaged 6:50, avHR 169)
    2min rest
    15mins tempo pace (averaged 6:49, avHR 170)
    2min rest

That tempo pace looks about right. I tried one today and got it way off. It´s kind of tricky figuring it out!

What time are you hoping for in the 4 miler?

• Advertisement

That tempo pace looks about right. I tried one today and got it way off. It´s kind of tricky figuring it out!

What time are you hoping for in the 4 miler?

I'm trying to keep the tempo pace about 6:55min/mile. Thats off Tergats' advice. mcmillan calc gives a range of about 6:45->7.01 for tempo pace. My current ten mile pace is also 6:55, so I'd say its about right to be in this range.

I think you have to get it upto 20min chunks though, so something like 2*20mins at tempo pace for it to be more worthwhile.

Not sure about racing the 4 mile at moment. I might just do it as a tempo run altogether. I think i'd have to step back a good bit on mileage mon+tues to have legs to race it proper.

Then again, I've read that its a good idea to step back the mileage every 4th week when doing phases of running like this??

decisions, decisions...

I guess it depends how you feel. If your feeling tired all the time or the legs are getting heavy then maybe it´s best to get a day or two of a break and arrive at the 5 mile full of energy...

2 * 20 mins sounds a lot better. Although, it´d probably kill me at my current tempo pace:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I guess it depends how you feel. If your feeling tired all the time or the legs are getting heavy then maybe it´s best to get a day or two of a break and arrive at the 5 mile full of energy...

2 * 20 mins sounds a lot better. Although, it´d probably kill me at my current tempo pace:(

I'd agree there , i've started with 2X8 mins , and adding 1 min per week untill i'm doing 2X15 mins , that will be my max 30 mins @ LT pace should be enough for me to get my 5mile time down.

shels4ever wrote: »
    I'd agree there , i've started with 2X8 mins , and adding 1 min per week untill i'm doing 2X15 mins , that will be my max 30 mins @ LT pace should be enough for me to get my 5mile time down.

agree on this. would suggest variations on the 30mins though as well, 2x15mins should get comfortable after a while, getting it upto 20mins:10mins would also be a good session.

don't know about ye, but find pace drifts a lot at times, still finding it hard to get a feel of the pace should be running at, comes with practice I guess....

...I hope!

Half thought about a tempo run, but had a tough day at work today+was feeling tired.

easy paced run instead+surprisingly felt good, my heart rate was grand tonite, helped by it being much cooler out as well...

hopefully a long run in morn before Lions game!

Today's Summary:
    Distance: 6.81miles
    Time: 55:08
    Avg Pace: 8:06min/mile
    Avg HR: 151

Long-ish (for me anyway!) run this morn, I like getting out early on a sat morning now, great to get run in and have whole day ahead of ya still!

Took in a different route this morning, lots of sharp rises in places. don't like running on foot-paths though, so tried to keep to road as much as possible. think i'll revert back to my usual route next week.Started out ok, but felt a bit of a pain near my shin on my right leg after a mile, went away after a couple of miles thank god, but will keep an eye on it.
    Tempted to go for a run in a wood tomorrow with a friend of mine, but will see, will def have to be done at an easy pace though as its meant to be a rest day for me.

Come on the LIONS!

Today's Summary:

Distance: 10.72miles
    Time: 1:27:03
    Avg Pace: 8:07min/mile

Today is a rest day, and feel I need it. 3 weeks in a row now of running 30+miles/week, something I've never done before! Might step back mileage a bit for next week.

I hope to run a 4 mile race on wednesday.not going thinking about pb's or anything, just want to go out and have a good go at it.last time i ran it was two years ago+ seem to remember it was hilly enough.

Week 3 Mileage Summary:

Mon: 6.42miles
    Tues: 6.8miles
    Wed: 6.85miles (included tempo workout)
    Thurs: 0 miles
    Fri: 6.81miles
    Sat: 10.72miles

TOTAL: 37.6 miles

Had a really nice run after work this evening, 3 laps of usual route on grass. Much cooler today compared to last Monday. Feel like i'm getting used to running by heart rate nowfor these easy paced runs.

Got 6*100m strides in afterwards as well.

Today's Summary:
    Distance: 6.87miles (+ 6 strides after)
    Time: 56:47
    Avg Pace: 8:15min/mile

Took a rest day today.

Running a 4 mile race tomorrow, the 'Stryker 4'. Last ran this two years ago+seem to remember it being hilly at the start but ok after.

Got a PB of 25:42 for 4 miles on a flatter course in a race in April, mightn't get near that tomorrow but still looking forward to running in a race again!

• Advertisement

Ran the Stryker 4 tonite, rain stayed away but was a good bit humid out.Good crowd at start-line, as is the norm now for races down here in Cork, but pushed up a good bit towards the front to get a good start. Looking back on race now I thought it was a lot hillier the last time I ran it. Fair enough, there's hills on the second mile (reflected in race split!), but after that there's nothing too serious.
    Race splits below:

Mile splits / HR
    1 6:05 / 168
    2 6:36 / 179
    3 6:21 / 181
    4 6:15 / 182

So overall, 4 miles in a new PB time of 25:18, thats an improvement of 24s on my last 4 mile time.
    Really happy with time+ is a good confidence booster given increase in mileage/training days I've put in over last few weeks.Things are def going in the right direction for the 5 mile time...

T
    oday's Summary:
    Distance: 4miles (+ 1.7 mile warm up/down)
    Race Time: 25:18
    Avg Pace: 6:19min/mile
    Avg HR: 178

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Ran the Stryker 4 tonite, rain stayed away but was a good bit humid out.Good crowd at start-line, as is the norm now for races down here in Cork, but pushed up a good bit towards the front to get a good start. Looking back on race now I thought it was a lot hillier the last time I ran it. Fair enough, there's hills on the second mile (reflected in race split!), but after that there's nothing too serious.
    Race splits below:

Mile splits / HR
    1 6:05 / 168
    2 6:36 / 179
    3 6:21 / 181
    4 6:15 / 182

So overall, 4 miles in a new PB time of 25:18, thats an improvement of 24s on my last 4 mile time.
    Really happy with time+ is a good confidence booster given increase in mileage/training days I've put in over last few weeks.Things are def going in the right direction for the 5 mile time...

T
    oday's Summary:
    Distance: 4miles (+ 1.7 mile warm up/down)
    Race Time: 25:18
    Avg Pace: 6:19min/mile
    Avg HR: 178

That is a great improvement congrats. You will definitely notice more strength just from an increase in mileage alone up to about 70 mpw. keep up the good work

ecoli wrote: »
    That is a great improvement congrats. You will definitely notice more strength just from an increase in mileage alone up to about 70 mpw. keep up the good work

Thanks ecoli.

Just felt I needed a race last nite (and bonus was a good time!). Have had a major step up in mileage/training over last few weeks, which is new to me. The five days/week seem to be getting easier+I feel i'm getting more used to the tempo workouts.

Nice result there. You´ll have a realy good chance to get a PB in the 5miler based on this performance.

Nice result there. You´ll have a realy good chance to get a PB in the 5miler based on this performance.

Thanks another world.

There are a couple of 5 mile races on next week (Thurs/Fri). I'm going to race one of them but not sure which yet. I'd agree, last nite's result shows that a 5 mile PB could be on as well (May need a new log title ;) soon...)

Nice speed session yesterday by the way. Gringo78,I read, did something similar and he's training for a half marathon as well. Mite be a good source to ask about half-training.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60963601#post60963601

"Interval Session. Aim was 1 mile warmup then 5x1km @ 6:10/mile pace, 2 min recovery between each rep, then 1 mile cooldown."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Nice speed session yesterday by the way. Gringo78,I read, did something similar and he's training for a half marathon as well. Mite be a good source to ask about half-training.

I see you do some of your runs in hartys quay...I run there some evenings so if you want to try an interval session there some evening next week let me know, the interval pace I'd run at for the HM training would be only a little faster than your 5k pace which would be perfect for your 5 mile training.

• Advertisement

Gringo78 wrote: »
    I see you do some of your runs in hartys quay...I run there some evenings so if you want to try an interval session there some evening next week let me know, the interval pace I'd run at for the HM training would be only a little faster than your 5k pace which would be perfect for your 5 mile training.

Sounds like a plan!

Will rule out next week though i'd say. Prob do just a 20min tempo run mon with 5 mile race later in week.

Def want to start interval work the week after so be great to meet up, will have to see how it goes pace wise though! ;)

Bit late in posting this, couldn't log in from home last night.

Easy paced "recovery" type run at farm, legs were feeling a bit heavy last night as I thought they mite be. Ran letting the HR dictate pace.Really really humid out, shirt was sticking to me by end. Hopefully another run after work and a longer run tomorrow morning...

Yesterday's Summary(02/07/09):
    Distance: 6.0miles
    Time: 49:56
    Avg Pace: 8:19min/mile

Summary for this morning and yesterday's runs below.

Windy+warm out yesterday, pushed pace a bit more than thurs, legs were still feeling a bit tired.

This morning I ran my usual long run route, Harty's Quay, into Monkstown, and over hill.Tough going starting out, was out to dinner last nite with herself and could feel effects of couple of bottles of wine! Got more into run though as it went on, and was ready for big hill part when it came, just as well, as sun decided to come out then, which made it that bit harder!

Extended run by running bit of main Harty's loop again, towards Blackrock Castle. Don't normally feel as good as stopwatch heads towards 1:30, but felt really good today+if anything I was running faster. Felt I could have gone full way around this loop, but made sensible decision + turned back, gving me ~ 12.6 miles for today.

This is long enough for me at the moment, esp. when i'm after 5 mile times. For half marathon though in sep, may build up to 15mile runs, love running this route on a sat morning now.

Thinking of heading to Cork City Sports later.Hopefully rain will stay away.

Oh, tomorrow will be a rest day. ;)

Friday's Summary(03/07/09):

Distance: 6.85miles
    Time: 54:48
    Avg Pace: 8:00min/mile
    Avg HR: 156

Saturday's Summary(04/07/09):
    Distance: 12.63miles
    Time: 1:43:15
    Avg Pace: 8:11min/mile

Today was a rest day, legs not feeling too bad but tired after being out last nite!
    Summary for week 4 below, four weeks of 5days running now completed, happy out with that. Next week I hope to do a 5 mile race, so maybe a tempo run early in week.

Week 4 Mileage Summary:

Mon: 6.87miles
    Tues: 0 miles
    Wed: 5.7miles (4 mile race in 25:19, PB)
    Thurs: 6.0 miles
    Fri: 6.85miles
    Sat: 12.63miles

TOTAL: 38 miles

Easy paced run after work at farm, was half thinking about doing a tempo run, but gave it a skip. Strangely, I felt tireder today more than yesterday,a two day hangover from sat nite !?!

Bit windy in places out in open, but good to get the run in. Thinking of either doing the GSK 5 mile on Friday or the Corkbeg 5 on Thurs.

Monday's Summary(06/07/09):

Distance: 6.85miles
    Time: 54:40
    Avg Pace: 7:59min/mile
    Avg HR: 152

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi tisnotover,

Looks like you're being very consistent annd focused in your training. Best of luck chasing that PB on Thurs/Fri.

aero2k

aero2k wrote: »
    Hi tisnotover,

Looks like you're being very consistent annd focused in your training. Best of luck chasing that PB on Thurs/Fri.

aero2k

Thanks aero2k!

How's ure own training going by the way? If I remember correctly ure training for the dublin marathon?

Hi tisnotover,

Yeah, the DCM in October is the big target. I haven't entered yet as I wanted to check my progress with some races first. I plan to enter depending on the outcome of the Adidas 5 mile. My goal is a sub 3 marathon so like you I've been looking at McMillan's calculator to get targets for other distances. I missed the 5k target by 10 seconds on Sunday at Farmleigh, but I haven't been doing any specific speed training so I'm hoping I'll do better at the longer distances. I think the 5k probably isn't as representative unless you specifically target it. I'm happy enough with my distance training, I'm over 2 hrs on my long runs and feeling comfortable. In fact on Sunday I warmed up for 25 mins, ran the 5k and then did a 55 min warm-down around the park. I was amazed how good it felt though I did take it easy, around 8 min/mile I guess.

Hi tisnotover,

Yeah, the DCM in October is the big target. I haven't entered yet as I wanted to check my progress with some races first. I plan to enter depending on the outcome of the Adidas 5 mile. My goal is a sub 3 marathon so like you I've been looking at McMillan's calculator to get targets for other distances. I missed the 5k target by 10 seconds on Sunday at Farmleigh, but I haven't been doing any specific speed training so I'm hoping I'll do better at the longer distances. I think the 5k probably isn't as representative unless you specifically target it. I'm happy enough with my distance training, I'm over 2 hrs on my long runs and feeling comfortable. In fact on Sunday I warmed up for 25 mins, ran the 5k and then did a 55 min warm-down around the park. I was amazed how good it felt though I did take it easy, around 8 min/mile I guess.

Agree with you about the 5k, if you haven't been doing specific interval work then you won't get there, those 10seconds are hard to come by over 5k especially as you get faster times!!

What is your target time for the adidas 5 mile? Sounds like you've no prob with your long runs anyway, 2hrs at this stage is good going.

What is your target time for the adidas 5 mile?

Based on McMillan's calculator, a 2:59:59 marathon equates to 30:36 for the 5m so I'm going to give that a lash. It's 54 seconds faster than my PB from May 17 but I will have had 9 good weeks of training in between. I averaged 6min/mile last Sun so I'm hoping the 6:07 target pace will feel (a bit) easier. The course for the 5 mile isn't as flat as the Farmleigh 5k, in fact there's one long drag but there's a good downhill stretch before that so hopefully I'll make a few seconds there.
    I was doing a great job of keeping my targets to myself until shels posted his "how fast will you go" thread - I hope the public pronouncements don't come back to haunt me.
    Great work on the log, it's very inspirational to see someone making steady progress and very helpful to those of us who might be inclined to get impatient every so often...
    aero2k

Based on McMillan's calculator, a 2:59:59 marathon equates to 30:36 for the 5m so I'm going to give that a lash. It's 54 seconds faster than my PB from May 17 but I will have had 9 good weeks of training in between. I averaged 6min/mile last Sun so I'm hoping the 6:07 target pace will feel (a bit) easier. The course for the 5 mile isn't as flat as the Farmleigh 5k, in fact there's one long drag but there's a good downhill stretch before that so hopefully I'll make a few seconds there.
    I was doing a great job of keeping my targets to myself until shels posted his "how fast will you go" thread - I hope the public pronouncements don't come back to haunt me.
    Great work on the log, it's very inspirational to see someone making steady progress and very helpful to those of us who might be inclined to get impatient every so often...
    aero2k

great time for that 5k other day in fairness. ure def on track for the 5 mile time. the adidas series looks like a great way of tracking your progress as well building up to the marathon.

you'll have to start your own log now sure ;) ...

Got a tempo run in after work, really windy out again tonite, and found it tough to run into it. Summary of workout below:

Tuesday's Summary(07/07/09):

Total Distance: 5.66miles included:
    10min warmup - easy pace
    21mins tempo pace (averaged 6:41 min/mile, avHR 172)
    2min rest

Pace was a bit all over place this evening, compared to last few tempo runs i've done. prob down to fact i haven't ran one in a couple of weeks, started off like it was start of a race!!

average pace is prob a tad too fast for level i'm at the moment.
    Next week i'll re-do this workout+keep a better eye on pace.

Easy paced run after work at farm, not as windy out at all tonite, which made it a much nicer run. Set out to only do 4 miles, but felt really good after the first four and heart rate was fine, so kept foing for a bit more.

GSK 5 mile in Dungarvan is on Friday, so official pre-race rest day tomorrow.

Wednesday's Summary(08/07/09):

Distance: 5.92miles
    Time: 48:27
    Avg Pace: 8:11min/mile
    Avg HR: 149

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

might see you on Friday night, what kind of a time are you aiming for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Good luck on Friday tisnotover, if at any stage you're flagging just remember you need to get to the food before showry does.

• Advertisement
Advertisement