Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The English ancestor

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

But some Christian names did come down the generations and you had very few Patricks in English families or Henrys in Irish families

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

If our forefathers didn't drop the Irish language, perhaps we wouldn't have this confusion over surnames?(Woods etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

gurramok wrote: »
    If our forefathers didn't drop the Irish language, perhaps we wouldn't have this confusion over surnames?(Woods etc)

I think you also had Anglisation that predated this too.

Careys changing their Name to Carew etc so the Anglicisation of names had many Irish adopting English names for convenience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

dubtom wrote: »
    My surname is 'exotic' too.;)I know I have English ancestors because there is a place in england with the same name,which originated from a Norman (I think) with that particular name. The name in Ireland dates back to the 13th century,whether I'm a decendant of the original I don't know. In terms of claiming english ancestry,I'll have to admit it always had the nail on blackboard effect on me when brought up.

Oh wow. I have a norman surname, I'm English, but my name is one of the more common or most common English surnames in Ireland I believe. We may have the same name,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

gurramok wrote: »
    There are not many blondes(real undyed blonde hair types ) in the Irish population.

Cross the water to England(or NI) and they are everywhere. Somehow, i think most over here pre-EU immigration are descended from Normans/Vikings/English and they are normally found in urban areas.

It just so happens that urban areas seem to have the most anglicsed names as a proportion of the population, maybe of English ancestry, a co-incidence?

Now, where did the black hair/dark eyes section of the white population come from? ;):)

I know in Wales, the dark thing was to do with Spain and some invasions. Maybe that's the case with Ireland too.:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement