Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overhyped to the max?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

this year is all about how you approach it. if you didn't attend class went on the hop and just took it with a pinch of salt i'd be worried about your results. i thought it was a stressful year but i'm glad it's over and the Leaving Cert is nearly over. it feels ****ing amazing if i'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

It was only overhyped if you let it overwhelm you. I took it as any other year in school and I was fine. My teachers tried to scare us into doing a ton of revision but only a couple of people listened, and they're all having meltdowns atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Springbreak

Wayyyyyyy overhyped....well a bit, bit of study night before exams or day and think i got C+ in all.....apart from honours maths which i failed i think but hey, u win some u lose some! :D:D .....physics/accounting might change my thoughts though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I find that the people who are big study freaks are the ones have panic attacks and crying. everyone else is just tipping along nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

I'm not sure what to make of it personally

Coming into 5th Yr, I had a meltdown with all the talk of it but then I chipped away, doing my homework and doing my best.
    5th Yr exams though were scary. I thought I was going to fail those.

Coming into 6th Yr, I didn't realise it but there was a level of stress that just folllowed you around all year.
    It's like you couldn't go out or take a whole day off without thinking of the consequences later. But at the same time I was enjoying school, teachers were more relaxed, everything was steadily working away grand.
    I never believed people who told me the first 3 months up to Christmas drag but then they'll fly.

How wrong was I!
    It totally did fly and the pre's flew out of nowhere really and I felt guilty because while I was working away, I knew I wasn't dedicating any time to extra study. This is despite doing after school study till 7 each night! :o

Then the orals came swooping in from nowhere too. I was really worried about those but first one over it was a relief.

Then coming up to easter, I don't know where the time went. Seemed I was focusing so much on Graduation, the actual Leaving was put to the back of my mind.

Now having only two exams left, I've mixed feelings.
    I'm happy with some of my exams, using the days before to really know the facts. Other exams like Irish P2 and History were utter disasters though I know that I didn't put in the work necessary for them, excluding the project and oral.

Now nearly finished, I'm so tired of this and wish it was over now [not till Wednesday!]

I think that as long as you take one step as a time, you'll be fine.
    Having said that I think the hype surrounding it is necessary as a motivant to study. I don't want to open my results in August and feel like I took the whole thing too casually.

Though I agree that if you are studying hard throughout the year, then you deserve a trophy. I literally couldn't do it for homework and sanity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

I assume you know how college points are set? Like it not just a case of Trinity saying "well we're better than Arsehole-of-nowhere IT so we'll require twice the points".

Anyway your not supposed to do your bragging until you get the results. All this talk of doing no work and finding them easy, could be a very different story come results day. A little humility goes a long way.

I am aware how points are set, I am just making the point that people are obviously choosing certain colleges because of their prestige as the courses are more or less the same.

I also was not bragging. I was just agreeing with the fact that the actual atmosphere of the exams is a lot less pressurised than I expected. I never said I didn't do any work, I just think that some people got hysterical and made themselves ill by not sleeping etc whereas at the end of the day it's not worth having a nervous breakdown. There are ways around everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

Yep, very overhped, I only did a bit of work the week or two before the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

phasers wrote: »
    It was only overhyped if you let it overwhelm you. I took it as any other year in school and I was fine. My teachers tried to scare us into doing a ton of revision but only a couple of people listened, and they're all having meltdowns atm.

my point exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jelomulawin

lol, i think it is overhyped, my parents keep pressuring me to study every day last month, but i just keep messing around listening to music or playing computer games. I only studied the day before each exam, i did all honours, but i think i'll get the points as much as i want them to be qualified for my cource choices. Although, i'd say i did bad on my physics this morning...applied maths is all left, and i'd have to study for that within 3 days, lol...never studied it before seriously :)

but procrastination is such a bad thing...and i hope i'd change on college, lol

Advertisement