Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overhyped to the max?

Options
  • 10-06-2009 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else feel that the Leaving was horribly over hyped? I did absolutely no work all year apart from cramming the week before and I felt I did quite well in everything! Leading up to the exams I was shítting it but now that I'm finished I gotta admit that I actually found my summer tests in fifth year to be harder and more nerve wrecking! :pac::pac:

Anyone else agree or am I just a creeeeep??

EDIT: Yes....I too am trying to get into a course with high enough points so stop saying shizzle about me having no pressure! ^_^

Comments

You're finished? You lucky son of a...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Does anyone else feel that the Leaving was horribly over hyped?

Not for those looking for college places I would think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dante

You're finished? You lucky son of a...

Well, pretty much, I only have music in like 10 days which I already have 50% done and theres nothing really much to study for the remaining 50%
    Not for those looking for college places I would think
    True, although I am trying to get into to Trinity so don't think I'm just doing nothing with my life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

Well, pretty much, I only have music in like 10 days which I already have 50% done and theres nothing really much to study for the remaining 50%

True, although I am trying to get into to Trinity so don't think I'm just doing nothing with my life!

Yeah I agree its over hyped. I found most of the exams except higher maths quite good and easy and i've done very little study over the two years, just barely spending two hours looking over things before the actual exams.

I finish tomorrow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

we'll see how you feel if (touch wood) your results come and you dont get the course you want - i promise you'll understand the hype then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Depends what you'er going for. If you got 450 in the mocks and you want to do a 380 point course, theres not much worry to about.

If you need 500+points and you bombed in the mocks, thats a different story

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

Does anyone else feel that the Leaving was horribly over hyped? I did absolutely no work all year apart from cramming the week before and I felt I did quite well in everything! Leading up to the exams I was shítting it but now that I'm finished I gotta admit that I actually found my summer tests in fifth year to be harder and more nerve wrecking! :pac::pac:

EDIT: Yes....I too am trying to get into a course with high enough points so stop saying shizzle about me having no pressure! ^_^

agreed. History is over and its easy street for my last three now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

agreed. History is over and its easy street for my last three now!!

same... gotta put in a bit of work for physics but i got 4 days:D smooth sailing from here

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

take th rest of the day off,have a lie in tomorrow morning,do nothing until about 6pm when i will study german.then i'm finished altogether.

aiming for around 430 points and will hopefully get it but if i dont i've applied for hear so hopefully i'll get enough points for that

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭melissavm

I was surprised at how calm i was going into my exams. I think at this stage it's just like, i've been studying this for 2 years... if i don't know it now whats the point...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭yummy91

ehhh, i think you're in the minority here.
    but maybe it just depends on how much you paid attention in class or something so fair play to you:), we're just jealous,, but yea......
    STOP MAKING THE REST OF US FEEL BAD:(:mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

definitely overhyped. I did nothing for it and I don't feel I've done too badly in anything, don't think I'll get less than a C in anything really, except maybe french. the leaving cert is actually easy, imagine what I'd have gotten if I'd studied :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

I agree tbh, it is WAY overhyped, not to say "oh sure it's only a few tests" but really it isn't hard unless you're naturally a slow learner
    we'll see how you feel if (touch wood) your results come and you dont get the course you want - i promise you'll understand the hype then

What the hype has to do with his grades is beyond me - he's not saying they were exceptionally easy or a dos just that it doesn't take that much work and it isn't stressful unless you're one of the ones who was bricking it over the Mocks with no cop whatsoever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Really overhyped. Exept maths maybe but i did nothin in business and french for 2 years and id be surprised if i didnt get a B and C respectively. The leavin is a massive pain in the arse tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Well I don't know what everyone was expecting, but like the leaving cert is for the most, part one of the most predictable exams around. Everyone has been doing exam questions for the past 2 years, if you are able to do them I don't see why you would be too worried going into an exam in the first place, by believing all the hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

The LC is like talking about and worrying about a big pile of ****e for two years, albeit a pile of ****e that decides what you do in college. In conclusion, the LC is an important but over-hyped pile of ****e.

This is the best piece of analysis I've done in the last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Yeah . . . . it was fairly hyped alright but its still probably the fairest,most important exam you'll ever do . . . . . . so its worth all the work and hype. . . . . ..

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

it is overhyped but i think its because some feel that theyre going to be faced with something they have no clue about or have never seen before, in reality thats not going to happen. i wasnt nervous about my exams just anxious to see what was on the papers. but i am pretty scared about biology tomorrow i desperately want to get an A in it, so far the exams have gone well but im just waiting for one thats really going to disapoint me, just hope its not biology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

Anyone noticed that all the stuff from junior cert, and 5th year comes flooding back?

Seriously, if you just pay attention in 5th and 6th year, and put effort into your homework, then there's no need for the 6hours a day or study.

I studied very little over the last month. maybe half an hour or an hour the night before for each subject.

I worked relatively hard in 5th, but got quite lazy in 6th.
    If i had have paid a little more attention, and did my homework more consistantly, I'd say i'd do much better in these exams.
    But, that said, I haven't had much problems with them thus far.
    They've all been very dooable, and i think i did quite well in each - with little study.

I havent been that stressed at all really.

And yes, i am looking for points. I need 450+
    Even took up Economics at Easter to maximise points.

Just take it easy for the remaining exams.
    There's no need to stress and panic and cram like madmen.
    Read over notes to refresh your memory.
    You've been doing the subject for 2 years, and in some cases 6 years. You knew the stuff.

And in response to the OP..
    Yes, there is definitely faaarr too much hype about the Leaving cert.
    It's by no means easy, but its not too difficult if you've even slightly prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Way way overhyped, I did nothing and I feel I did well enough in everything(need 450+) with practically no study, just a bit the night before. Reckon I got some sort of B at least in every subject I'm counting(still have to do music, looking for an A1 in that), and might have scraped a C in honours maths which I don't even need. :D Delighted. I sort of feel guilty though? I know I could have gotten A's in at least one other subject, pure laziness I guess...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭baileyjackson

Def overhyped, all forgotten about a week later. Year on its hard to remember what it was like. Hyped again at results time, forgotten about 3 weeks later, after offers. LC is not the hardest exams you will do in your life. Total bull****!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭naasface

totally agree.
    i was more stressed/worried for the mocks. its best to just take exam one by one, like a check list instead of looking at the entire 2 wks and getting flustered.
    I just studied the night before everything, have gone out every wknd without fail this yr. no study at the weekend, just listening in class and the basic homework.havent done a tap all year revision wise + missed about 60 days of school.. cramming has the night before has got me grand results so far (i think)
    worried about biology though cos u cant bluff.

but yeah sooooo overhyped. surprised at the relaxed atmosphere in my school, everyones just happy to be doing the leaving at last. the build-up is the worst!
    teachers, although they're only tryin to get u to study/do well the amt of pressure they put on is completely unneccessary and detrimental.
    . celebrating the end tomoro night even thou ive music next wk. but i dont give a fcuk about that stupid subject so party on!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Yeah. Overhyped to the max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Ye it's over hyped, but I knew that already...

Still doesn't mean it isn't nerve racking and stressful tho

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

Definitely
    My mother: "It's the worst bloody thing you'll do in your life!"

I've been through worse! There's definitely too much pressure for points. 500+ is ridiculous.. people are devastated if they don't get them.
    What's really ridiculous is colleges that have 200 points in the difference for basically the same course.. Certain colleges apparently look better on your C.V. and that shoudn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I don't really agree that certain colleges look better. Nursing for eg. My friend trained in the college with the least points, walked into a job as soon as she graduated and has since done a postgrad. Maybe for certain courses but not for most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

It isn't the worst thing you'll do in your life but by gods the stress for two years and at the time, I'd never go back and do it again.
    My college thesis was one of the hardest things.

The leavingcert seems over hyped but mostly through retrospect :) It's hectic at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Definitely
    My mother: "It's the worst bloody thing you'll do in your life!"

I've been through worse! There's definitely too much pressure for points. 500+ is ridiculous.. people are devastated if they don't get them.
    What's really ridiculous is colleges that have 200 points in the difference for basically the same course.. Certain colleges apparently look better on your C.V. and that shoudn't happen.

I assume you know how college points are set? Like it not just a case of Trinity saying "well we're better than Arsehole-of-nowhere IT so we'll require twice the points".

Anyway your not supposed to do your bragging until you get the results. All this talk of doing no work and finding them easy, could be a very different story come results day. A little humility goes a long way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 electriks

i mean seriously!! for us at the start of the year, the teachers made the leaving out to be the most stressful thing in the world and all this rubbish about hard work and not watching tv and putting every free minute into study, not going out and getting pissed anymore. all you really need to study for is the 2 weeks before the exams and listen in class for the year.

okay, give honours maths a month to be fair.

no need to even do that much homework for the year.

come on. well, nobody can speard **** like teachers i spose.

am i totally off the mark or do soime people agree??

Advertisement