Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did Elton John sell out?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

vkid wrote: »
    22000 according to Limerick leader blog. I know it was licenced for more than that so didnt sell out but great numbers all the same. Brilliant to see it happening in Limerick.

http://limerickleader-onthebeat.blogspot.com/2009/06/elton-john-in-thomond-park-from-todays.html

So many different figures out so I stand to be corrected but it really didn't look like there was 22,000 people there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭menu14

They sold 22k tickets but more tickets were on sale on the day and they were freely available. However they were not allowed sell many more than they did as the the first 2 concerts have caps on capacity to see how they go first. The actual attendence was just under 20k, fact! Paul is right there was a reason Elton and Rod were chosen for the 1st 2 concerts and it was for the target audience and to show local residents that concerts aren't a bad thing. Imagine starting off with ACDC or someone like that, there would never be a concert in TP again. Start slow and get bigger, ease Limerick into it sounds like a good idea to me.

Jeez, glad I'm wrong and that there was such a great turnout!
    I would love to be seeing Rod Stewart. I love music like Bruce, Elton and that... I have the music tastes of a 40 year old and the body of a 19 year old!

I wonder would the Eagles have done better in Thomond Park than in Pearse Stadium?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

If The Eagles came to Thomond Park I'd be there. I was dragged up to Dublin by the husband a few years back when they did Lansdowne and it was much better than I expected. We can live in hope I suppose :)

Then again the Eagles didn't sell out Dublin, the tickets are way too expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Gambra

Just a few random point I've picked up through the thread.. Firstly, it's unlikely The Eagles will ever play Ireland again as they recently cancelled their Galway gig due to low ticket sales so they prob won't come back next year. Secondly, you will never ever get a direct answer from any music promoter as to how many tickets were actually sold to a gig. Unlike sporting events a music event's main and sole purpose is to make money, not to put on a good show! So you'll hear lots of different numbers to the amount of people there. Does anyone actually have a picture of the crowd at the gig?

And 80-116 euros for a gig is colossal money for a gig. Most I go to are about 20 euros tops. I can't comprehend paying over 100 euros for a single act unless it's a festival of some sorts.

Once it hits triple figures it's usually a no-no for me (although I am contemplating the Red Piano show in the 02 but I've never spent that much money on a gig before so time to pop the cherry! :D). I usually find €80 okay but it's the ticketmaster charge that kills me! €6 might buy you some ingredients for dinner. Elton was the shy side of €80 by 75 cent, add €6 to that for ticketmaster and then €85 seems a lot.

The Eagles will be back. They'll have a 3rd Farewell Tour after the recession to make the money back that they might have lost on this tour. They just don't seem to go away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Gambra wrote: »
    Just a few random point I've picked up through the thread.. Firstly, it's unlikely The Eagles will ever play Ireland again as they recently cancelled their Galway gig due to low ticket sales so they prob won't come back next year. Secondly, you will never ever get a direct answer from any music promoter as to how many tickets were actually sold to a gig. Unlike sporting events a music event's main and sole purpose is to make money, not to put on a good show! So you'll hear lots of different numbers to the amount of people there. Does anyone actually have a picture of the crowd at the gig?

And 80-116 euros for a gig is colossal money for a gig. Most I go to are about 20 euros tops. I can't comprehend paying over 100 euros for a single act unless it's a festival of some sorts.

wat gigs do u go to for 20 quid?:) i went to see elbow in dolans. it cost me 25 quid and they played for 35 mins!!! albeit they had a support band who played for 20 mins. ill never see them again!! i go to quite a few gigs up in dublin. its mostly around the 50 or 60 quid price but its a good night and most of the time a good show. if you went to nancys for the night ud easily spend 50 or 60 quid. thats how i justify spending the cash anyway. going to slane and neill young next sat and sunday. cant wait itll be class. i would love to see the eagles play. maybe in there 10th one last time comeback tour:) as for elton i did hear figures of around the 22k mark from different sources in the music scene so while it might not have been that many id say it wud be close to the real figure. even take 3 or 4k from that and thats 18 thousand people. pretty big in fairness. its normal to have empty space on the pitch doh they take that into account when saying how many they can fit. they cant exactly cram people into every little space on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Did Elton John sell out?

Nah, he was always in it for the money.

Ben Elton sold out.

IanCurtis wrote: »
    Did Elton John sell out?

Nah, he was always in it for the money.

Ben Elton sold out.

just checking but u know ben elton and elton john are two differnt people yea:) i assume you do but............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Paulegend wrote: »
    just checking but u know ben elton and elton john are two differnt people yea:) i assume you do but............

You've just ruined one of my best ever gags by posting that nonsensical statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Regardless of who they should or should not have gotten in to play at Thomond Park, the simple fact remains that after Rod Stewart plays, there will be no other live acts there this year, as there is only two gigs a year allowed at Thomond Park for the first two years before that can be reviewed.

So that means a maximum of four gigs between now and 2011, one of which has just been held. Kind of makes a joke of the constant crap from Live95FM about Thomond park being an established "world class" music venue. Then again over the top hype is what that stations seems to excel at.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sosulio

Gambra wrote: »

18k turned up at gig and a good few thousand more tickets sold

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

IanCurtis wrote: »
    You've just ruined one of my best ever gags by posting that nonsensical statement.

It was a bit of an nonsensical post, but a good gag by the way...:D

tut tut tut. im pretty sure u can come up with a better gag

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

Elton was class though.. i know it;s not a lot of your cup of teas but generally I always thought as a piano player and singer he was always underrated... He was better in the past too but the whole drug issue kinda screwed him..

Why is it restricted to 2 gigs a year though? Whose idea was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Mcjmetroid wrote: »
    Elton was class though.. i know it;s not a lot of your cup of teas but generally I always thought as a piano player and singer he was always underrated... He was better in the past too but the whole drug issue kinda screwed him..

Societies. We all felt it was best for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mcjmetroid wrote: »

That is all those behind Thomond Park and the various local authorities could agree on and it is all that they would allow. It has been reported in the local papers and on the local radio many times.

I don't buy into the whole "cannot have concerts because people are living nearby" line, as if you go to Dublin or Cork for gigs in the stadiums there, then there are loads of people living nearby. Take Croke Park or Landsdowne road for example.

Advertisement