Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did Elton John sell out?

Options
  • 09-06-2009 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

How many were at it and would it encourage other big acts to be bought here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Not even close to it, 20,000 tickets for sale, 8500 sold and I counted 13 tickets for sale in just the Galway Advertiser last week before the gig. A pity really but for some odd reason, everything was happening last weekend. We had a million different things on in our own house. Rod Stewart should give a good indication if it's going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I would say that it did not come close to selling out as there were no shortage of tickets for sale on the day of the concert.

As for big acts coming. If they think they can get a big payday, then they will come.

Was listening to the breakdown of costs for the Beyonce shows in Dublin last week, and although she would have been seen by far more people than Elton John, and had more costs as there had to be extra nights added due to demand, there was still a very healthy sum for her.

The Elton John show would not have had quite as many costs, although old Elton demanded to have cream material hung from the walls of the box he was using as a dressing room and for furniture to be shipped in for the little time he would be in there must have added to the costs, I would still imagine he will have pocketed at least 50k for himself from the show. Now add in any merchandise sales, plus the spike in his album sales throughtout his tour, and it all adds up to keeping him in wallpaper for quite some time.

What Limerick really needs to look at though, is the way the Marquee in Cork is pulling in the acts and big names, and the level of organisation that venue has. If you look at June, Simple Minds, The Prodigy, Kayne West, Boyzone, Crosy Stills And Nash, Chickenfoot, Kasabian, Christy Moore and many others are playing. They also have Rod Stewart there in July and another host of big names. They have maybe 15 medium to big name acts each month, and that does not take into account what may be on at any of the other venues in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

think the old point held about 8000 i heard maybe wrong?what does the o2 hold?in these day and age 8500 aint bad...dont think they would sell 20.000 unless it was u2 or bruce

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭wildrover444

its there own fault for picking old fogies to play gigs there. dont think elton or rod would be my cup of tea.thats just my own opinion though.they should have tried to get a few decent bands there rather than having the old reliables play there.

maybe beyonce or pussycat dolls might sell out because the kids and scobes would go wild for them

• Advertisement

They should have gone all out to try and get an act like Springsteen in. People would travel from all over Ireland for that, and there would be no way that there would be leftover tickets.

Play up the working class city thing to Springstenn and his management team, and who knows, he may see it as the kind of place that he would play in.

maybe beyonce or pussycat dolls might sell out because the kids and scobes would go wild for them

PCD, Kayne West and acts like that would draw in a crowd, there is no doubt there.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Tickets were far too expensive (between €80 and €116). That might have been down to the promoters or Elton rather than Thomond, but it was too high regardless. If tickets were €50-€60, they might have sold more.

have you a link for ths costs of beyonce?is there much hype about rod stewart?

The beyonce costs were being discussed on the Matt Cooper show on Today FM last week. The promoter and some others were in the studio and Cooper was going over why were tickets so expensive in general etc. There may be a podcast of it on the Today FM website

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

i was so happy when i heard tickets were only7 euros for the football games ie south africa and australia, this is the type of price people should be paying and its garanteed to be a sellout..although im aware its different for concerts!

sorry dave not to good on soccer what games are 7 euro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

im starting to think alot of you are not regular gig goers.

rod and elton. paying between 80 and 115 for a ticket is the norm.
    8500 tickets sold is pretty good for a gig that alot of the scobes in town wud have no interest in.

if any of the mentioned pop bands such as beyonce or kayne west or anyone like that played then you would have a def sell out of 25000 kids and scobes running around and messing with peoples houses after the gig. and then we would never EVER get planning permission for another gig.

the reason elton and rod where shosen is because the people that did go arent exactly the type that will vandalise houses or throw cans of beer into peoples gardens. we needed the first couple of gigs to go smoothly before bands like kaiser chiefs, franz ferdinand, killers, muse, stereophonics, bruce springstein and so on.

expect bigger bands in the future and hopefully more than the already only allowed 2 gigs a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    i was so happy when i heard tickets were only7 euros for the football games ie south africa and australia, this is the type of price people should be paying and its garanteed to be a sellout..although im aware its different for concerts!

Correct me if I am wrong, but a mate of mine informed me on Saturday night that tickets (or at least some of them) for the Bulgaria v Ireland game were €3!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Paulegend wrote: »
    im starting to think alot of you are not regular gig goers.

rod and elton. paying between 80 and 115 for a ticket is the norm.
    8500 tickets sold is pretty good for a gig that alot of the scobes in town wud have no interest in.

if any of the mentioned pop bands such as beyonce or kayne west or anyone like that played then you would have a def sell out of 25000 kids and scobes running around and messing with peoples houses after the gig. and then we would never EVER get planning permission for another gig.

the reason elton and rod where shosen is because the people that did go arent exactly the type that will vandalise houses or throw cans of beer into peoples gardens. we needed the first couple of gigs to go smoothly before bands like kaiser chiefs, franz ferdinand, killers, muse, stereophonics, bruce springstein and so on.

expect bigger bands in the future and hopefully more than the already only allowed 2 gigs a year.

Good post and I touched on the same points before. There wasn't a hope in hell they could risk having somebody like the Prodigy or Muse etc as one of the first gigs. 20k boozed up, pilled up and coked up 18-30 year olds would most definiteily ensure they weren't given permission to host another gig again. Imagine The Prodigy in Thomond Park? The Dundons and Keanes would think it was christmas!

Once they have ironed out all the security issues etc associated with running concerts then they can try staging one an act aimed at a younger audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

ya same, im more of a rugby fan now but one of the lads was saying that the Ireland v australia and Ireland v South Africa was only 7 quid, i think thats very good. watch an international football match in thomond for practically nothing!happy days!

ya def cant wait for the gigs im interested in to start here. hopefully gaa will wanna try to make a profit at their place on the ennis road and try to persuad the residents to let a few gigs start there. but for now ill have to settle on travelling to gigs:) albeit i would have liked to see elton. saw him years ago with billy joel. they where class live. amazing show.

also i think the internationals will be more like "b" internationals

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

mars bar wrote: »
    Not even close to it, 20,000 tickets for sale, 8500 sold and I counted 13 tickets for sale in just the Galway Advertiser last week before the gig. A pity really but for some odd reason, everything was happening last weekend. We had a million different things on in our own house. Rod Stewart should give a good indication if it's going to work.

I thought 8500 was the standing capacity?

does anyone know the real attendance from elton john

I thought 8500 was the standing capacity?

I'm not too sure, but they only had about a third of the pitch open to standing...

• Advertisement

if the soccer really is 7 euro that would be unreal,what price are the munster matches?Has anyone got any pic's of the crowd at elton john was the pitch area full?i saw a pic but it looked only 1/3 full at best

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Good post and I touched on the same points before. There wasn't a hope in hell they could risk having somebody like the Prodigy or Muse etc as one of the first gigs. 20k boozed up, pilled up and coked up 18-30 year olds would most definiteily ensure they weren't given permission to host another gig again. Imagine The Prodigy in Thomond Park? The Dundons and Keanes would think it was christmas!

Once they have ironed out all the security issues etc associated with running concerts then they can try staging one an act aimed at a younger audience.

I agree that Paulegend's post was a good one. I paid €80+ for Bruce last year and again this year. So Elton at €79 wasn't out of the norm. I also paid €72 for Meat Loaf last year, and Elton played double the amount of songs.
    They would have to have Bruce play at least two dates in Limerick to please everyone. He is taking a break after his current tour so you won't be seeing him in Limerick any time soon.

Here is one observation I made though at the Elton gig. The majority of people at the gig had travelled from Dublin. I was amazed by it and I now see why The 02 and RDS are such successful venues. I met a good few people from Limerick (as you would seeing how close it was to home) but they were out numbered by the Dubs!

Also most of the people I was talking to were coming back down for the Rod Stewart concert. Perhaps it was one mistake the organisers made. The fans are very, very similar so I wouldn't expect Rod to be any bigger than Elton's was.

Either way, if Elton is in Dublin, Cork or Limerick next year, I'm there.

would elton john have done better in croke park or the rds or o2?he doesnt seem to gig to often so surely he would fill croke park?

I think he would do well in the RDS,

He is bringing his Red Piano show to the 02 in October and hasn't sold out yet but that's coz the ticket prices are mad for it so I can't go...

Elton has been here every year since 2005 be it with the band, solo, ray cooper or billy joel. And he is here twice this year. Hoping for next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I'd like to see Faith No More play there this summer, one can wish...:rolleyes:

RonMexico wrote: »
    I'd like to see Faith No More play there this summer, one can wish...:rolleyes:

unforyunatly thomond only has permission for 2 gigs a year for now. hopefully it will be more in a couple years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

dont think 8.5k was the figure sold...actually pretty sure its not and was a good bit more.

vkid wrote: »
    dont think 8.5k was the figure sold...actually pretty sure its not and was a good bit more.

yea i heard it was pretty full actually. but some people left early because of the weather. im trying to find the number of people doh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

if the soccer really is 7 euro that would be unreal,what price are the munster matches?Has anyone got any pic's of the crowd at elton john was the pitch area full?i saw a pic but it looked only 1/3 full at best

For Munster matches it depends on where you are in the stadium and whether it's in the Magner's League or Heineken Cup. I'd say between €20 for the cheapest tickets to €60 for a stand ticket in the HC.

Some schoolboy tickets will be for sale for €7 for the Ireland v Australia soccer game. However, most will be more expensive than that. A limited number (1,000) went on sale from Gleeson's Sport's Scene yesterday.

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4347

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

22000 according to Limerick leader blog. I know it was licenced for more than that so didnt sell out but great numbers all the same. Brilliant to see it happening in Limerick.

http://limerickleader-onthebeat.blogspot.com/2009/06/elton-john-in-thomond-park-from-todays.html

Advertisement