Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many higher level subjects you doing?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

spurious wrote: »
    Internet access at home, probably their own computer, not having to take care of smaller kids
    So smart people are wealthy only children (or at least the youngest in the family)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭batbaby

all higher except French and Maths....
    Not too shabby really!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

5 honours (French, Economics, English, Geography and Biology) 2 pass (Irish and Maths)

Am thinking of Pass French though
    Which leaves me at only 4 honours.. so i dunno....:(

Jesus so many people do so many on here,
    Did you do them all outside school?
    We only do 7 in school

How do people with 6-9 honours even have time to use boards.ie anyway ;/

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

GVNDNN wrote: »
    5 honours (French, Economics, English, Geography and Biology) 2 pass (Irish and Maths)

Am thinking of Pass French though
    Which leaves me at only 4 honours.. so i dunno....:(

Jesus so many people do so many on here,
    Did you do them all outside school?
    We only do 7 in school

How do people with 6-9 honours even have time to use boards.ie anyway ;/
    i am the same, really thinking off dropping to ol french!

ya how so many doing more than 7 subjects we can only do 7 in our school, all ye doing them outside of school?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Pygmalion wrote: »
    So smart people are wealthy only children (or at least the youngest in the family)?

No, not at all, I was just giving some reasons why some people might not be online boasting about how many A1s they will get, day after day. The 'I'm doing all honours and going to get all A1s and do med or maybe law' posts might put others off posting.

You just have to look at threads in general on boards to see it's not representative of Irish society.

Look at the comments people get if they say they are doing, or considering doing Foundation level subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jaaavaaa

When I did my Leaving Cert I did 7 higher level (English, Irish, French, Physics, Chemistry, Accounting, Music) and one pass (Maths.)

As regards why people would do more than 6 higher level ... in my case, I took up Music outside school as they didn't teach it in my school, and I play a couple of instruments so had a good chance of getting a high grade. Of the seven higher level subjects I was doing, the only one I really didn't like was English - and I didn't want to drop to ordinary level in that as I didn't think it would look great on my CV, so that's how I ended up doing 7 higher level. As it happened, I randomly got an A1 in English (I didn't think the exam went well and was only hoping for a D!) so I ended up using that for points rather than Chemistry, which brought my overall points up a fair bit. So it really worked out for me!

Other people might do subjects outside school that overlap with other subjects they're doing, like Applied Maths or Phys/Chem or Economics, or subjects they just have an interest in like Music or Agricultural Science. If you're interested in a particular subject it's not going to have as much as a workload as some of the compulsory subjects that you're not interested in.

I have to say though, I still can't imagine managing nine higher level subjects :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

jaaavaaa wrote: »
    I have to say though, I still can't imagine managing nine higher level subjects :eek:

I'd say many of the people doing nine Higher Levels are foreign, so they have their own language as the ninth subject.
    So only 8 really count, one of which is a mix of the favourite subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 XxxShannonxxX

Honours Business, Tech, Home-Ec, LCVP
    Pass English, Maths, Spanish
    Foundation Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 XxxShannonxxX

galway.gaa wrote: »
    whats the point of doin more then 6? i do 6 higher. you only count 6 so whats the point of doin the extra work. can someone tell me why there doin more then 6?

Well I obviously need the extra subjets, i do foundation irish, pass maths, english and spanish, honours business, tech and home ec...id be seriously screwed if i only did 6!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Damien671

Seven honours at the moment but pass physics is calling me, as I can't even try and study

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Reilly616 wrote: »
    Nothing personal, and great for you, but I do hate that students originally from abroad usually get a guaranteed A1. I always thought there should be speific language tests for native speakers, ie; we do german, but a person fluent in German should have a German paper similar to our English.
    Though I do realise the logistics of that would be horrible :P

I agree with that - I do think it's unfair that people from abroad can take up their own native language and get an A1 without much effort. Ideally, they should do a paper similar to the English or Irish exam.

Of course, I don't at all blame foreign students from doing their own language. If I was from another country doing my LC here, I definitely would take advantage of it also. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

spurious wrote: »
    No, not at all, I was just giving some reasons why some people might not be online boasting about how many A1s they will get, day after day. The 'I'm doing all honours and going to get all A1s and do med or maybe law' posts might put others off posting.

You just have to look at threads in general on boards to see it's not representative of Irish society.

Look at the comments people get if they say they are doing, or considering doing Foundation level subjects.

+1,000,000

Hate to say it, but this forum is choked full of elitists these days:pac:

Contrary to popular belief, you do not have to do 9+ subjects in the LC
    at honours level. Talk about overkill people : )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭SugoiHito

8 Honours:
    English
    Maths
    Geography
    Biology
    Art
    Russian
    Spanish
    Japanese

Sorta wish i did pass spanish though...dont need it and im terrible at it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Reilly616

Of course, I don't at all blame foreign students from doing their own language. If I was from another country doing my LC here, I definitely would take advantage of it also. :)

Agreed! My thoughts on this subject are not completely devoid of jealousy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I agree with that - I do think it's unfair that people from abroad can take up their own native language and get an A1 without much effort. Ideally, they should do a paper similar to the English or Irish exam.

Tbh, I think if you're fluent in 2 languages, you should be rewarded for it. If you're not fluent in 2, then you're doing all your other subjects in your weaker language, which has got to be tough.

As far as "why would anyone do >6 HL subjects", well... in my case, I didn't know what subjects I'd be using for points, so decided to keep my options open.

But yeah, I definitely agree that boards.ie isn't representative. Nerds the lot of us/you/whatever.

Advertisement