Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many higher level subjects you doing?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

6 out of 7
    Hate French. BTW OL is piss easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

6 higher, two ordinary, Irish and German.

Hate languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

6 higher and 2 ordinary level.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

at the moment 5 honours and 2 pass... that may change yet...french!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Twilighter

6 HL, 1 OL (Maths)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

BLARG wrote: »
    7. Slashed Irish as it was unnecessary stress, with any work at all I could have gotten a high C, maybe even a B. But I'll settle for a hopeful A1 in pass.

i like your style. did the same with french because my oral was fairly poor. decided i'd be better off dedicating the time to 6 honours that i enjoy/understand/can get good grades in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

7, all honours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Dumbledore

I do 6 with lower maths. What is the most anyone knows is doing? A guy in my year is doing 9 HL!!!! And he picked 2 of them up just before the deadline in March("just for the banter"). He is a banker for 600 though so he can manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

I win! 9 Honours, including Irish.
    Whether I get decent grades for all those subjects, now that's a different matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

7,all at honours.

• Advertisement

Hoku wrote: »
    I win! 9 Honours, including Irish.
    Whether I get decent grades for all those subjects, now that's a different matter.

I am very impressed, but if you say you may not be able to get decent grades in them all, why would you not just drop 3 of them and give yourself more time to work on the remaining 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

7 at HL.
    Should have done OL Maths.
    Would love to be doing OL French.

Well, one of them is a guaranteed A1 - Russian. Everything else, with the exception of English and Irish, I'm aiming for A1/A2. I'm confident that I know the course well enough for Maths, Physics, Chemistry and to a lesser extent Geography to get me 500+ points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

English, Irish and French Ordinary.

Other 5 of my subjects higher, but no idea if I expect to pass Applied Maths, never took a class on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭JW91

I do 6 honours myself.
    I'm doing honours Maths, Irish, English, Physics, Accounting and Chemistry.
    I'm doing pass French.

I honestly can't understand why people do 8 higher level. It's completley over the top. I can understand doing 7 in case 1 of them goes wrong but there's hardly much chance of 2 going wrong.
    You'd be much better off concentrating on 6 and having 1 good back up.

As far as I'm concerned most people that are doing 8 or 9 higher level subjects are just doing it too show off and possibly get their picture in the paper in August for their 8/9 A1's.

It's absolutley no advantage to you whatsoever to get 9 A1's as opposed to getting 6 A1's

9 subjects isn't hard to put together when you come from abroad and have another language. That's my case anyway.
    Instead of wasting my time in Religion which isn't going to be examined anyway, I took up Russian to guarantee the A1 for that subject.

The other 'extra' subject is Applied Maths which, at the time, I thought was a lot like Physics. Obviously a bad assumption to make... But the subject is still do-able with Honours Physics and Maths there to back me up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭-ME-

Six HL: English, French, German, History, Music and Art and OL Maths. Kind wish i had a seventh as a back- up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I have mates applying to UKAS who will have a better chance with 8 A1s than with 6...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Reilly616

Hoku wrote: »
    9 subjects isn't hard to put together when you come from abroad and have another language. That's my case anyway.
    Instead of wasting my time in Religion which isn't going to be examined anyway, I took up Russian to guarantee the A1 for that subject.

The other 'extra' subject is Applied Maths which, at the time, I thought was a lot like Physics. Obviously a bad assumption to make... But the subject is still do-able with Honours Physics and Maths there to back me up for it.

Nothing personal, and great for you, but I do hate that students originally from abroad usually get a guaranteed A1. I always thought there should be speific language tests for native speakers, ie; we do german, but a person fluent in German should have a German paper similar to our English.
    Though I do realise the logistics of that would be horrible :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

Six higher, one pass.

That pass being Maths.

• Advertisement

Reilly616 wrote: »
    Nothing personal, and great for you, but I do hate that students originally from abroad usually get a guaranteed A1. I always thought there should be speific language tests for native speakers, ie; we do german, but a person fluent in German should have a German paper similar to our English.
    Though I do realise the logistics of that would be horrible :P

I'm just trying to imagine myself sitting an exam like I would've had to do back at home - a Paper 2-type essay, only it's on just one topic and 6 hours long... in a single go. :eek:
    I think I'll stick with the paper similar to the German one in structure.
    I know what you mean - we do get an unfair advantage :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

lol i feel so out of place saying all pass
    Nothing wrong with that at all.
    boards.ie users are a long way from being representative of the full range of the Leaving Cert. cohort.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I'm doing 6 honours with 2 pass (Maths and Irish). I was lucky enough to go to one of 2 schools that does the UL computer course meaning I don't have to include either of my pass subjects (unless I fail a subject which means maths will take it's place).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Jello wrote: »
    6 higher and OL Maths.

same

higher
    -English
    -Irish
    -french
    -history
    -Biology
    -Chemistry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 NerdPantzz

BLARG wrote: »
    7. Slashed Irish as it was unnecessary stress, with any work at all I could have gotten a high C, maybe even a B. But I'll settle for a hopeful A1 in pass.
    Same here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

spurious wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with that at all.
    boards.ie users are a long way from being representative of the full range of the Leaving Cert. cohort.

so all the smartie pants use boards, why is that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Internet access at home, probably their own computer, not having to take care of smaller kids, so have time to be online. I don't know, could be lots of reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Saffy

6 higher. OL maths

Or all the idiots don't......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

2 Higher, :D Fook that being smart business!

Advertisement