Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford V Limerick

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Blondiegirl2009

Up The Deise! Good display today by the lads! But sure tis hard to hav true hope when you think of the Cats ahead :( anyone listening to WLR today? And Dan has the Comeragh Oil parked up since early morning/ someone has the cows milked early/ ...Always the same craic:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Why exactly was there practically no one at this match?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Up The Deise! Good display today by the lads! But sure tis hard to hav true hope when you think of the Cats ahead :( anyone listening to WLR today? And Dan has the Comeragh Oil parked up since early morning/ someone has the cows milked early/ ...Always the same craic:rolleyes:

Excuse me? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Orizio wrote: »

I was wondering this myself. I still think hurling fans don't like Saturday evenings. I'm working nights this weekend so I couldn't go - could barely get up in time to watch it!

But it's a very low turnout for a game only up the road in Thurles. I hope Waterford fans aren't going the way of Kilkenny's, waiting for the big games to come around before travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Up The Deise! Good display today by the lads! But sure tis hard to hav true hope when you think of the Cats ahead :(anyone listening to WLR today? And Dan has the Comeragh Oil parked up since early morning/ someone has the cows milked early/ ...Always the same craic:rolleyes:
    Ok im from waterford and ive no idea what any of this means:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Orizio wrote: »

€30 tickets + shíte on offer last week = crap turnout tbh. I wouldn't look too much into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I was wondering this myself. I still think hurling fans don't like Saturday evenings. I'm working nights this weekend so I couldn't go - could barely get up in time to watch it!

But it's a very low turnout for a game only up the road in Thurles. I hope Waterford fans aren't going the way of Kilkenny's, waiting for the big games to come around before travelling.
    5pm throw in on a saturday when a lot more people would be working then on a sunday and 6 days after another championship game with a lot also out of work too.They were lucky to get that crowd IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 39,538 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Well it was obviously a much better game than last week. We shouldnt be getting carried away though. Assuming Tipp win today they will present a huge step up in terms of opposition. Still it's always good to put 25 points on the board in championship hurling.

Mullane was a class apart, he also recieved plenty of perfect ball into him and he was directly responsible for at least 10 points. Seamus Prendergast had one of his best games in a Waterford shirt in a long time. Shane O Sullivan had his best ever game for Waterford.

Some other musings - The full back line looked solid, Limerick had a couple of chances granted, but the widespread panic we often see from the Waterford full backs wasnt there. Tony Browne turning back the years yet again. Eoin Mcgrath needs to find form quickly, I always feel when he plays well, Waterford play well. The injuries to Molumphy and Moran (particualry Molumphy) are worrying, especially with just a 2 week turn around to the Munster Final.

I'm still not sold at all on Davy Fitz, but at least the line was a good bit more active today, making some changes at important times.

The attendance was poor, but particulary from Waterford. I remember similar in 2004 when a week after being well beaten by Galway in a league final, a lot of Waterford supporters stayed away from the following week when we hammered Clare. Disappointing to similar yesterday.

Avoiding the qualifiers is a huge plus, as Daysha said elsewhere the structure for them this year is crazy and it would have been a very tough game for us, as the losing semi finalists are paired together.

EDIT - Eoin Kellys haircut is very silly looking

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

KevIRL wrote: »

EDIT - Eoin Kellys haircut is very silly looking
    what a coincidence, i was thinking the exact same thing yesterday but sure its a hurling game, not who has the best hairstyle. Wasnt following the thread but id like to apologize to grenauche. My source was wrong about denis maloney, he did start. Anyways, limerick just gave up towards the end, the margin could have been much narrower. Ill probably get killed for this, but mullane wrecks my f**ing head. When he won a free, he started punching the air right in front of me. I didnt see this last week on the pitch but yesterday i saw it! The analysts were 100% correct. Even though i was a limerick supporter there, i was just like wtf? And what the hell was JMC thinking with his sub changes? He took off mark foley!!! He was playing brilliant but he was subbed! He brought on that eoin foley, graham mulachy, condon and donie ryan! What about gavin o mahoney for foley or mike o brien for dodge? And why did they stick diddy maloney on mullane for most of the game and then condon on mullane? When they obviously cudnt stop him? reale would have been more suitable. In my opinion, both of these teams are useless and none of them have a chance of winning munster never mind an all ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

but mullane wrecks my f**ing head. When he won a free, he started punching the air right in front of me.

How dare he.

• Advertisement

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    How dare he.

yeah i know... These little midget children then started imitating him after the match shouting in my face 'up da deise'... Bad influence he is. Ah but dont worry, i gave those little children a piece of my mind..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Mullane was a class act today. Some of the scores were immense. But I was annoyed to see the treatment he was getting. Fair enough you could say he brings it on himself, but what was Foley at? no need to get involved in some cases. And that number 18 was brought on for one reason only, and in my opinion it wasnt to play hurling!
    Fair play to Waterford, I just hope ye go on to win Munster.

There were some very cynical fouls. This one is captured on the RTE website. Molumphy was shouldered in the chest and knocked flat. He had to go off afterwards.

000262b7189r.jpg

JHMEG wrote: »
    There were some very cynical fouls. This one is captured on the RTE website. Molumphy was shouldered in the chest and knocked flat. He had to go off afterwards.

000262b7189r.jpg

was he given a free? I clearly remember a waterford shot going wide and it was called a point. Was standing right behind the goals as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Power-surge

JHMEG wrote: »

000262b7189r.jpg

Yeah that was a bad tackle. Back to the point of Mullane, I see it as Limerick could not mark him, resorting to dirty play. That no.18 was a disgrace, could have easily got the line for his carry on and Mark Foley, getting involved in everything to do with Mullane. Bad form by Limerick. If they done that against other teams like for instance Galway/Tipp/Kilkenny, they would seriously get a taste of their own medicine!

Yeah that was a bad tackle. Back to the point of Mullane, I see it as Limerick could not mark him, resorting to dirty play. That no.18 was a disgrace, could have easily got the line for his carry on and Mark Foley, getting involved in everything to do with Mullane. Bad form by Limerick. If they done that against other teams like for instance Galway/Tipp/Kilkenny, they would seriously get a taste of their own medicine!

Now seriously, im guessing that alot of these posts are from waterford supporters. No.18 was condon by the way. What condon did was not in order at all, he came onto the pitch, gave mullane a light push (like every player does), mullane pushed him back...it became a war from there on. Condon was then moved from mullane. Mullane isnt so innocent anyways, id see him giving the aul s**t as well. Kelly has a temperment problem as well. Maybe he inherited it from fitzy but he sure can get pissed off getting included in affairs that do not have anything to do with him which is a disgrace at some points in the game. I thought id point out a few bits that waterford supporters would block out in their own heads as they all seem to say things about limericks faults..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Power-surge

Now seriously, im guessing that alot of these posts are from waterford supporters. No.18 was condon by the way. What condon did was not in order at all, he came onto the pitch, gave mullane a light push (like every player does), mullane pushed him back...it became a war from there on. Condon was then moved from mullane. Mullane isnt so innocent anyways, id see him giving the aul s**t as well. Kelly has a temperment problem as well. Maybe he inherited it from fitzy but he sure can get pissed off getting included in affairs that do not have anything to do with him which is a disgrace at some points in the game. I thought id point out a few bits that waterford supporters would block out in their own heads as they all seem to say things about limericks faults..

Firstly, Im not a Waterford man. Secondly, Mullane is no saint but you have to admit Condon was put on him for one reason. You say 'a light push', but more than that eh? Dont have much to say about Kelly, hes a great hurler! You can complain about certain waterford players, yet you havent mention Foley? bit stupid of him to get involved in everything 'incident' that Mullane was in. Like hes a brilliant defender and has been a great servant to Limerick hurling over the years, but his actions yesterday were just idiotic.

Firstly, Im not a Waterford man. Secondly, Mullane is no saint but you have to admit Condon was put on him for one reason. You say 'a light push', but more than that eh? Dont have much to say about Kelly, hes a great hurler! You can complain about certain waterford players, yet you havent mention Foley? bit stupid of him to get involved in everything 'incident' that Mullane was in. Like hes a brilliant defender and has been a great servant to Limerick hurling over the years, but his actions yesterday were just idiotic.
    i said light push at the beginning which it was (i was standing right in front of the incident).. Ah foley, how many incidents was mullane included in? Foley uses his experience, you see.. Watch last weeks sunday game and ul see.. Kelly is an amazing player, not taking anything away from him, but he could keep his opinions to himself once in a while when they are not needed. He likes to stir s**t if u no wat i mean. But ah well.. Both teams wont win an all-ireland, its easy to see to be honest unless limerick or waterford can somehow amaze everyone (which i doubt it, this year anyways..)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Waterford fully deserving of their win and good luck to them in the final. Limerick were always going to need at least 2 goals to beat them - they needed 3 in 2001 and 5 in 2007. Without goals, Waterford will always out-point them, as happened on Saturday. We simply had no answer to John Mullane, and as a Limerick supporter I was disgusted by Tom Condon's antics when he was sent on to track Mullane in the second half. It was nothing more than dirty-hand tactics by the Limerick management and Condon was clearly trying to soften Mullane up, prevoke a response for him and get him sent off - i really don't like that kind of sh*t, its not good for the game and doesn't say much for Limerick hurling. Some bright spots for Limerick were James Ryan and Paul Browne, we'll see a lot more from these against Wexford hopefully.

You could say it was a lack of scoring forwards that lost it for Limerick, but it was also down to utter stupidity both on and off the field . For example, up to the final ten mins, Limerick were in and out of this game. Ollie Moran had started doing very well on the half line, catching a lot of clean ball but would then pick out a Déise shirt with a stupid pass. Limerick's full forward line was being brought way too far out from goal, nearly out as far as the 40. Shaughnessy was deservedly subbed and David Breen didn't have the intelligence to stay in around the square. Pat Tobin was not introduced, out best point scorer and he didn't even get a minute on the field! :confused: Why wasn't our half back line told to drop back to cut off any ball going into Mullane? Mark Foley, around the mid-point of the second half seemed to stop playing hurling and instead took to constantly fouling Dan Shanahan. Why Eoin Foley was brought on is puzzling too, too fond of the booze and not the same player he was 7 or 8 years ago.

Was really impressed with Waterford's midfield, Browne was steady before being dropped back to half back, and Shane O'Sullivan, who i never really rated, had his best ever game for them. I'd definitely put Prendergast centre forward for the final, he'll cause plenty problems. Molumphy and Kelly also got some great scores as well as Mullane, they'll test Tipp. But Tipp are not Limerick, and will pose a greater scoring threat. Tipp will get goals, no doubt, just remains to be seen if Waterford can respond with the points, as i dont' see many goals in this Waterford team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

Id love to see mullane tried at full forward, with the right ball going into him i reckon he could turn quick and get a run on the full back and maybe provide waterford with a goalscoring threat that they seem to be lacking at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Mullane was a class act today. Some of the scores were immense. But I was annoyed to see the treatment he was getting. Fair enough you could say he brings it on himself, but what was Foley at? no need to get involved in some cases. And that number 18 was brought on for one reason only, and in my opinion it wasnt to play hurling!
    Fair play to Waterford, I just hope ye go on to win Munster.

Mullane was extremely elusive and Limerick didn't have the answers to stop him no matter what they tried legally or illegally. He WILL be targetted by every team he plays against from here on in. Expect him to get the same or worse treatment from other teams. I personally don't agree with the rough house tactics that Limerick tried to deploy against him, but they had to try something to stop the tide i suppose. He is a victim of his of own success, but all this chest beating, air punching crap doesn't endear him to the opposition either so I've only partial sympathy for the lad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

I personally love when Mullane gets all riled up, obviously not to the extent where he starts getting yellow cards, but just the pure passion/fury on the lad's face is brilliant. You can just feel the energy from him and how much he loves it. That all contributes to making him a class player, even when Waterford are having a dismal game, he never loses the drive and will to win. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

coconut5 wrote: »
    I personally love when Mullane gets all riled up, obviously not to the extent where he starts getting yellow cards, but just the pure passion/fury on the lad's face is brilliant. You can just feel the energy from him and how much he loves it. That all contributes to making him a class player, even when Waterford are having a dismal game, he never loses the drive and will to win. :)
    But to be fair, the guy can have a drive and will to win without the need for all this punching the air and chest beating, you dont see any of the Kilkenny or Cork players at it. It just gets tiresome, is way OTT and makes him look stupid. He's a fantastic player, as good a corner forward as you will get but there's no need for the theatrics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

I guess what I'm saying is that I enjoy the theatrics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

coconut5 wrote: »
    I guess what I'm saying is that I enjoy the theatrics.

Go and see a play or a film then. A hurling field is not the place for such carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭GymJim

Go and see a play or a film then. A hurling field is not the place for such carry on.

For god sake if Mullane's passion is part of what makes him a good player then who cares. He can do whatever he likes. Tbh much as I'd liked to have given Mullane a puck over the years when he was playing against Cork I thnik his passion is a good thing.

He does it to both pump himself and the rest of the team up so I don't see what harm it does. Compare it to the cocky cringe-worthy soccer-style celebrations by both Joe Canning and Seamus Callanan after their goals last weekend or the in-your-face shouting after scoring you see especially with the Dubs and you'll see it's not all that bad relatively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭knightmare

GymJim wrote: »
    For god sake if Mullane's passion is part of what makes him a good player then who cares. He can do whatever he likes. Tbh much as I'd liked to have given Mullane a puck over the years when he was playing against Cork I thnik his passion is a good thing.

He does it to both pump himself and the rest of the team up so I don't see what harm it does. Compare it to the cocky cringe-worthy soccer-style celebrations by both Joe Canning and Seamus Callanan after their goals last weekend or the in-your-face shouting after scoring you see especially with the Dubs and you'll see it's not all that bad relatively.

I agree with with you about how he's passion makes him the player he is, & I for one don't care how he celebrates when he scores... however waving at the limerick supporters as they were leaving last saturday night with a few minutes left with a grim on he's face or the 2 fingered salute he gave the cork supporters a few years ago has no place in the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

knightmare wrote: »
    I agree with with you about how he's passion makes him the player he is, & I for one don't care how he celebrates when he scores... however waving at the limerick supporters as they were leaving last saturday night with a few minutes left with a grim on he's face or the 2 fingered salute he gave the cork supporters a few years ago has no place in the GAA.

i agree with you that in the cold light of day it looks kinda daft but if i was taking the abuse that he gets from rival supporters and i banged in a few goals i would be sending it back the other way also , at the end of the day its an amature sport played by amature players .

Advertisement