Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone else feeling really, really down?

Options
  • 07-06-2009 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭

As the title describes really, I feel awful, I'm in no form for studying. I just feel like crying because I think maths is going to be a disaster tomorrow. I found Paper 1 much more difficult than I expected, but everyone else seems to have thought it was fine! :( I could fail tomorrow if it's in any way tough, I'm much weaker at Paper 2. Aside from that I'm gonna have to spend pretty much all my time studying Maths today instead of Irish, I subject I could do really well in with some effort. I just feel like there's no hope of getting what I want now and I'll be really disappointed with my results. :(

Everyone in school seems totally fine, none of the hysteria I expected. Am I the only one out there feeling like this?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Well I'm feeling pretty crap after english. I was hoping for an A but I just know I didn't get it now - I left out too much :( Also I'm terrified about Irish... Normally I'm quite good at it but the notes just aren't going into my head today and my general vocab isn't strong enough to pull me through the Aiste on paper 1 *sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I'm sure you're not - I think I cried in my maths paper (I did honours and really wasn't able for it) and I'm the same, I was weaker in paper 2.

all you can do is your best, things work out in funny ways. I know it's a lot of pressure but just study what you can, have breaks etc. It's easier said than done but you will feel better when it's all over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Not really, I think half of the people worrying and breaking down over the Leaving are only doing it because they're listening to other people too much.

If you've been an A student you won't suddenly get D's. Not unless you start pitying yourself for reasons you're only recently making up because of the perfectly normal (non-performance affecting) anxiety combined with thinking too much about what you're doing - it's just an exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

Personally I found paper one difficult and thats my best paper.

Gonna spend all day studying paper 2 and study some irish at the end.

Freaking out does nothing so juts chill and study paper two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

As the title describes really, I feel awful, I'm in no form for studying. I just feel like crying because I think maths is going to be a disaster tomorrow. I found Paper 1 much more difficult than I expected, but everyone else seems to have thought it was fine! :( I could fail tomorrow if it's in any way tough, I'm much weaker at Paper 2. Aside from that I'm gonna have to spend pretty much all my time studying Maths today instead of Irish, I subject I could do really well in with some effort. I just feel like there's no hope of getting what I want now and I'll be really disappointed with my results. :(

Everyone in school seems totally fine, none of the hysteria I expected. Am I the only one out there feeling like this?

Not so much down, just very very tired, which is preventing much study. I was the same with Maths but I'm just reminding myself that everybody in the country is pretty much shattered after having to do a 3.5 hour paper yesterday and losing the day of study. I'd say most people aren't going to reach their full potential in Maths and Irish after that, but remember the beauty of the grading curve!
    Also, chocolate is always good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I'm a C student at best in maths, I'm not an A student who thinks I'll get a D out of the blue(those people annoy me too). Things just went terribly in Paper 1.

Well maybe paper 2 won't be as bad, or maybe you didn't do as badly in paper 1 as you thought. If you usually get Cs you'll hopefully get that again. Do you require a certain grade in maths for entrylevel?

I'm quite confident to be honest, and it's the best way to be - keep a level head and read about what others are doing, and do what'll cover you in practically any situation to get you the grade you want... For example I'm going to do the supposed "most likely" essays in each of the sections for History and have a very general contextualisation prepared for both Moon Landings and Human Rights that I can mould to the question asked.

Some people call it a gamble but really - the SEC is human. They know that patterns are there, and they know that it would mess the system if they broke it. They want people to do their best in what comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

I find the only way I'm getting through this is to think to myself "if I can just suck it up and be strong for this one week, I'll get the results I want and get my first choice and be happy!"
    Its very hard to stop oneself from sinking into self pity over how tired/stressed you are, but just try and look on the bright side of how worth it it will be when its over!

phic wrote: »
    I find the only way I'm getting through this is to think to myself "if I can just suck it up and be strong for this one week, I'll get the results I want and get my first choice and be happy!"
    Its very hard to stop oneself from sinking into self pity over how tired/stressed you are, but just try and look on the bright side of how worth it it will be when its over!

Yeah to an extent this is a good PoV.

I've put down my deposit for accomodation in Galway, and should be sharing a flat with my best friends. Going to be doing a course that is exactly what I want that has loads of options for future careers. Going to have a brilliant summer, doing whatever I want, no school ever again! Keeps you going. Don't stop to think and by next week you're a free spirit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Saul-Good

It can also help if you think of the exams like one long fight. You keep your teeth gritted, push through the pain and above all else show no mercy and you will emerge the victor!:D Take every exam one at a time, make every day another little victory. Dominate your exams and they won't dominate you

Make progress official for yourself; small things will put it into your head that it's nearly over, that you're making your way through it and it won't take much more to finish with it forever.

I'm making the small gesture of editing my MSN name for example to say how many days I have left 'til freedom and how each paper went. This isn't for anyone else in particular but it keeps me focused on how I'm getting through it - seems like yesterday that "21 days left until exams" was there.

star-pants wrote: »
    Well maybe paper 2 won't be as bad, or maybe you didn't do as badly in paper 1 as you thought. If you usually get Cs you'll hopefully get that again. Do you require a certain grade in maths for entrylevel?

No, but I do need to pass! Failing is my absolute worst nightmare, I just couldn't repeat and have to do this all again.

If you're an average C student then you should pass, exams are always stressful and you think everythings gone horribly wrong when maybe it hasn't. Just do your best for paper two :)

No, but I do need to pass! Failing is my absolute worst nightmare, I just couldn't repeat and have to do this all again.

What course do you want that requires maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

I wasn't worried at all before this, but Irish is really freaking me out!
    I want to do it in college, so it's the subject I worked hardest at last year, but I concentrated on the oral this year instead of learning any essays or poems or anything!!
    I really don't feel like I remember anything I've done, and I'm so scared I won't understand the paper!!
    Ugh, I hate the leaving cert :(:(:(

I wasn't worried at all before this, but Irish is really freaking me out!
    I want to do it in college, so it's the subject I worked hardest at last year, but I concentrated on the oral this year instead of learning any essays or poems or anything!!
    I really don't feel like I remember anything I've done, and I'm so scared I won't understand the paper!!
    Ugh, I hate the leaving cert :(:(:(

You want to do Irish in college but you don't have near fluent Irish? :P

Claypigeon wrote: »
    You want to do Irish in college but you don't have near fluent Irish? :P

I think they mean they're just really nervous and afraid of going blank

star-pants wrote: »
    I think they mean they're just really nervous and afraid of going blank

Ah right fair enough; I think with languages particularly with Irish you surprise yourself in an exam with what you know in the back of your mind

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rob!

Ya its just so hard to feel motivated right now! But i just think of it as the final step to freedom after 14 years!

I feel really sorry for anybody in both HL irish and HL maths. I only do maths at higher level and i know its shockingly time consuming. As for the paper, it was really different from previous years, but apparently the fail rate is extraordinarily low so im fairly sure we'l all pull through and do better than we might orginally expect.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

I thought i did well in paper 1 maths but im absolutly ****ting tomorrow! Im doing stuff now and i feel like i cant remember anything! :( hopefully paper 2 is nice, im praying!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

do you definitely have to pass maths? There are lots of courses (e.g some in UCC) where maths is not a requirement for entry. Have a look at your CAO again and see if there's some courses you can put further down on the list before the end of june.

At least if you know you can be in university in september without maths it will take the pressure off you and not fek up your good subjects as well as your maths

www.qualifax.ie has all the courses in ireland and the requirements regarding entry criteria

bst of luk

I do HL Irish and HL Maths, and I wanna do Arts with Music in UCC(450+) and take Irish as one of my options. I need to pass Maths to get into a university no?

pathway33 wrote: »
    do you definitely have to pass maths? There are lots of courses (e.g some in UCC) where maths is not a requirement for entry. Have a look at your CAO again and see if there's some courses you can put further down on the list before the end of june.

At least if you know you can be in university in september without maths it will take the pressure off you and not fek up your good subjects as well as your maths

www.qualifax.ie has all the courses in ireland and the requirements regarding entry criteria

bst of luk

Too right, these posts need to get more reads!

This bullsh*t about "if you fail maths you fail your leaving cert" is making people go crazy and it's like - you don't need it for every course.

Arts in most NUI's does not demand maths.

I do HL Irish and HL Maths, and I wanna do Arts with Music in UCC(450+) and take Irish as one of my options. I need to pass Maths to get into a university no?

well you do NOT need maths for arts in UCC. I don't know if arts with music is different

well you do NOT need maths for arts in UCC. I don't know if arts with music is different

Looked it up there, I can't find anything saying music is any different. I'll keep looking though.

Minimum Entry Requirements

Higher C3 in 2 subjects & 

Passes in 4 other subjects at Higher or Ordinary level from:

-	Irish
    -	English
    -	Another language &
    -	3 other subjects recognised for entry purposes.

ADDITIONAL PROGRAMME REQUIREMENTS:

Applicants are required to pass a special music test.

Maths not required as an entry, only for points if you are weak at other subs. Hope we've cheered you up :)

Looked it up there, I can't find anything saying music is any different. I'll keep looking though.

yeah i looked it up too

FOR ARTS WITH MUSIC IN ucc

- Irish
    - English
    - Another language &
    - 3 other subjects recognised for entry purposes.

But best to check on www.ucc.ie for definite confirmation

But like you probably need the D3 in maths for points cos like 450+ is high considering all the stress this useless (in your case) subject maths has put you under

or do you reckon you can get to 450 without maths? that wud be cool

yeah i looked it up too

- Irish
    - English
    - Another language &
    - 3 other subjects recognised for entry purposes.

But best to check on www.ucc.ie for definite confirmation

But like you probably need the D3 in maths for points cos like 450+ is high considering all the stress this useless (in your case) subject maths has put you under

or do you reckon you can get to 450 without maths? that wud be cool

Since she needs English Irish and French/German/other cont language, the remaining 3 are probably Music and two others that are undoubtedly easier to get high points in than Hons maths. Should be fine!

• Advertisement

@ claypigeon well i wasted my time posting that last post :D

Advertisement