Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's it like living in an apartment? Would you buy one?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

If you're an extremely light sleeper, as you say, do not under ANY circumstances buy an apartment.

Ive had to move out of 2 houses in the past few years because of noisy assholes from next door. I found apartments to actually be much quieter than houses. Unless the house is detached, like my parents, but they cost too much to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

SueWho wrote: »
    ULTIMATELY you'll eventually want to upgrade to a house

Why do people assume this is true for everyone? I have no desire whatsoever to "upgrade" to a house. I feel safer in an apartment and like not having to deal with gardens and things. There are some negatives of course but they don't outweigh the positives as far as I'm concerned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

macy9 wrote: »
    Anyone have any stories about buying their first property as an apartment? Good, bad, indifferent?
    Rented, have not bought. Your neighbors are key to good living, or a terrible experience. I always like the top floor, cause you don't have someone walking about and making noise above you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Pencapchew

30,000euro...go travelling mate!!!! houses and apartments are always gonna be there. I'd much rather be seeing and experiencing new places than worrying about if you are gonna have noisy neighbours with wooden floors etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Hey OP, I know you're asking about apartment living, but can I throw in my 2 cents about your house buying? I was an FTB this time last year, and bought a house near the area I grew up in. 4-bed, semi-d - got a good deal, with the future of the so-called property market in mind.We bought second-hand.I know there aren't many new housing estates these days but friends of ours bought in a new estate around the same time, in a different town and a few things have come up for them in the last year that made me glad we bought in an older estate....
    We don't have management fees.They do.
    Their estate is not in the council's charge and the developer, like so many others, has left the country.So there's no street lighting, no grass cutting in the communal area, no roads re-surfaced, problems with drainage and nobody to fix them etc, etc. And no hope of it happening any time soon.
    Many of the houses are empty and could possibly belong to the council's social and affordable scheme. They've no idea who could be living next door and there's nobody to ask.Meanwhile the gardens in these houses are becoming totally overgrown.
    It's just a couple of pointers to bear in mind while you're looking at houses. For what it's worth, having lived in apartments aswell, I do prefer a house.You can do what you like with it, there's space for as many cars and visitors as you want, you've a garden (and I'm not the world's biggest gardener, but it is nice) and outdoors space to store stuff in,you can convert the attic etc should you want to and (in my case) you can practice your musical instruments as loud as you like!!!!
    Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

It all goes to show you really need to do your research before you buy anything. The good thing about now is that there's not the same mad pressure on people to buy something, anything before prices went out of their range. Apartments suit some people, they don't suit others. I'd personally endorse the try before you buy approach. Same goes for houses. I intend to buy a house eventually and I don't want to get caught out like the friend of the person who's posted above me.

Advertisement