Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry build up and aftermath

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

smndly wrote: »
    Q11 a v catalyst does not effect the value of Kc... not sure if that right though!
    :pac::pac::pac::pac:

I said it increases the value for Kc, as it reduces the activation energy and so more ammonia is produced. I'm not 100% sure, but that's what I put down.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Right-o, heres a couple of my answers for comparison:

Q.1 e (iii) 32.3% iron in the tablets

Q8 d - 6% (w/v)

(c) Relative Mr of neon = 20.19

Q11 a v catalyst does not effect the value of Kc... not sure if that right though!

I got something different for the iron thing.... And 60% w/v *facepalm*.... I got the same Mr for Neon and I wrote that for Q11 too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Waaahhh

Q4 f - pH of nitric acid = 1.6

Q6 e - Heat of formation of C4H8 = -10 kj/mol^-1 ??? Bit weird i thought...

Q8 d - 6% (w/v)

Q10 (a) moles of chlorine = 1.5 moles

Yeh I got all that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Q4 f - pH of nitric acid = 1.6

Q6 e - Heat of formation of C4H8 = -10 kj/mol^-1 ??? Bit weird i thought...

Q8 d - 6% (w/v)

Q10 (a) moles of chlorine = 1.5 moles

Q1-Yep
    Q4-Yep
    Q6-Yep
    Q8-Yep
    Q10 a-I got 3.Divided the figure by avagadro's constant.Wat u do?
    Q10c-Yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Nihilist21 wrote: »
    I said it increases the value for Kc, as it reduces the activation energy and so more ammonia is produced. I'm not 100% sure, but that's what I put down.

I thought it said in the book that a catalyst helps equilibrium be achieved more quickly but doesn't affect the overall position of equilibrium??

These effing post mortems are making me so nervous!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

GA361 wrote: »
    But the dilution factor of 100 remains the same. . . . as there is only 25cm in that 2.5L sample

Yeah maybe, the way I saw it was that:
    The BOD you got was 5.1.
    But that is for 2.5 liters
    divide 5.1 by 2.5 = 2.04 ppm in a liter.
    multiply by dilution factor of 100
    ppm = 204

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭yummy91

YAY!!! ITS OVER:D:D:D:D And it was a nice paper aswell,,, soooo happy, and the experiments were really good ones too!!!
    It was my last as well!!! so IM FREE!!!!!:D
    hope it went well for everyone else too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭smndly

1fahy4 wrote: »
    I think I got all of those!! Left out the ****ing units for delta H though:eek:... There goes a few marks...:(

Id say it will only be one mark. Its not as if they were testing the you on the units because it was in the question. Id say itll be regarded as a slip

Excellent paper IMO!! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Oh yeah, is the main difference between the flames produced by ethyne and ethene that ethyne's flame is luminous but ethene's isn't??

For Q5,did anyone else get
    d(i)-6
    d(ii)-10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

I thought it said in the book that a catalyst helps equilibrium be achieved more quickly but doesn't affect the overall position of equilibrium??

These effing post mortems are making me so nervous!:eek:

Meh, bugger! Well thankfully that was the extra question I did, so probably wont be counted.

Q1-Yep
    Q4-Yep
    Q6-Yep
    Q8-Yep
    Q10 a-I got 3.Divided the figure by avagadro's constant.Wat u do?
    Q10c-Yep

You have to divide by two aswell i think because its ATOMS of chlorine gas i.e Cl2. If it was molecules of chlorine gas you would just divide by avagadro's constant.... I think

You have to divide by two aswell i think because its ATOMS of chlorine gas i.e Cl2. If it was molecules of chlorine gas you would just divide by avagadro's constant.... I think

Was the question not how many moles of gas were present,as opposed to atoms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 CallMeDoctor

Oh yeah, is the main difference between the flames produced by ethyne and ethene that ethyne's flame is luminous but ethene's isn't??

I said ethyne had a sooty flame and ethene had a luminous flame?
    Think i got my A1:pac:

Did ye say oxidising for the flame symbol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dmullar

Yeah thats what I did... hope its right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭galway.gaa

in q1 why was it necessary to standardise the solutoin immeditly and what was the reagent used?
    why are iron tablets prescribed?

I said ethyne had a sooty flame and ethene had a luminous flame?
    Think i got my A1:pac:

Did ye say oxidising for the flame symbol?
    whats the difference sooty or luminious? i wrote sooty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

galway.gaa wrote: »
    in q1 why was it necessary to standardise the solutoin immeditly and what was the reagent used?
    why are iron tablets prescribed?

Emm, i said ammonium iron (ii) sulfate for the reagent, and anaemia for the reason they're prescribed. Dunno what the other one was tho...made a guess at it but i havent heard what the answer was...

Emm, i said ammonium iron (ii) sulfate for the reagent, and anaemia for the reason they're prescribed. Dunno what the other one was tho...made a guess at it but i havent heard what the answer was...
    thats what i said too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

I think it was that KMnO4 decomposes in sunlight so it has to be used immediately, that was the only explanation I could think of... it was a nasty one though..

• Advertisement

Des23 wrote: »
    I think it was that KMnO4 decomposes in sunlight so it has to be used immediately, that was the only explanation I could think of... it was a nasty one though..

Yea i said that too and i also said that if you left the solution too long some water would evaporate which would change the concentration of the solution. Although if you were smart you'd just put on a lid :P

I did the same thing . . . . except I said ferrous ammonium sulfate:o . . . .They should both be acceptable . . .
    Like ye,I didn't get the other part
    For Qc did ye write 'to prevent Fe2+ being oxidised to Fe3+
    and for Qd was it 'to supply the H+ions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Crystler

Just me or was that just not the most beautiful chemistry paper ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Was the question not how many moles of gas were present,as opposed to atoms?

Exactly.

I did the same thing . . . . except I said ferrous ammonium sulfate:o . . . .They should both be acceptable . . .
    Like ye,I didn't get the other part
    For Qc did ye write 'to prevent Fe2+ being oxidised to Fe3+
    and for Qd was it 'to supply the H+ions?

Also to allow full oxidation of the mn7+ to the Mn 2+ state. Otherwise a brown percipitate of Mn02 would have been formed.

eoins2345 wrote: »
    Just wondering did ye get 32.03% for the the percentage by mass of iron in the tablets?
    -10 for the heat of formation ting?
    BOD of 510?
    In q10a did ye get 3 moles and in 10c 2.19?

I got all those:)

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Also to allow full oxidation of the mn7+ to the Mn 2+ state. Otherwise a brown percipitate of Mn02 would have been formed.

Yeah I said about the brown prec too . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Polarity

Des23 wrote: »
    Yeah maybe, the way I saw it was that:
    The BOD you got was 5.1.
    But that is for 2.5 liters
    divide 5.1 by 2.5 = 2.04 ppm in a liter.
    multiply by dilution factor of 100
    ppm = 204

That's exactly what I did, hope it's right.

For heat i also got -10 kj.. though i had that wrong til I looked on here. :P

****ed up the iron calulation.

Got 6% for vinegar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

awesome:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

awesome!:)think chemistry is a subject you could really get an A in if ya applied yourself!

Advertisement