Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry build up and aftermath

Options
  • 06-06-2009 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

It's my worst subject and I'm trying my best to come to terms with the fact that the time is nearly here. Has anyone got any thoughts or comments about how they are getting on with study and preperation?
    haha you looked

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

it's wayyyyy to early to remember i still have to do a chem test, shushhhhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mikeglee

its inevitable my dear friend, it's been on my mind since xmas, I am really anxious about it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD

I hate chemistry, wish I didn't do it...
    I'm just desperately trying to scrape a pass

I hear ya loud and clear my friend, me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭lorna100

Dont even go there yet, im taking them one at a time.

I really struggle with it, get the rapid revision chemistry, great book. Im reading bits every night before I go to sleep and its amazing what is staying in my head.

Any predictions? Have a few, will put them up closer to the time, when I root them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Chemistry would be one of my strongest subjects :D I'm looking forward to it. Once it's the last week, I can pretty much relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

gah u boardsies, im tempted to dig for the chem book now, predictions:anions on some shape or form, ethene or ethyne, indutsrial chem; agus the usual stuffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Chemistry is by far my weakest subject but yet im still in fecking honors.
    really need to pass....im being hopeful though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Im in ordinary but need to pass it even thoughi was originally crossin it out of my six for points...i need it coz one of my preferences for college request that i pass a science subject.
    I can understand the topics in chemistry no problem,its just REMEMBERING THE DEFINITIONS!
    I find it really hard to remember exact words of things,i prefer to learn something in my own way and explain in my own way,but u cant do that in chem or in english quotes...it drives me mad!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Looking forward to Bio/Chem/Physics tbh - 3 strongest subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

looking forward to biology myself

but chemistry.....oh s**t...it could well or i could fail putting it off till late as i have 3 days before the exam to cram like crazy so ill be busy for those days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I'm actually really looking forward to it :rolleyes: I love chemistry,one of my best subjects. Only prediction I've heard is the hypochorite ion,so we'll see :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭yummy91

I'm actually looking forward to chem too:),, we've done soooo much revision on it after school and stuff.. another prediction>> I think that iron is tipped and obivously know your organic well.
    I just have to go over some definitions and maybe one or two exp procedures, its the ONLY test I'm actually kinda prepared for:rolleyes:,,,, dreading physics!!:(

what questions could test for anions come up in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭galway.gaa

I'm actually really looking forward to it :rolleyes: I love chemistry,one of my best subjects. Only prediction I've heard is the hypochorite ion,so we'll see :)
    whats the hypochorite ion? what no. q can that come up in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

mikeglee wrote: »
    what questions could test for anions come up in?

One of them usually comes up in the short questions. But they could very easily come up in Q3. I'm hoping for them, the volatile liquid or rates of reaction (not going to happen).

Question 1. Hypochlorite titration
    Question 2. Preparation and ethanal + examine it's properties.

Trust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I wish we didn't have to do 2 experiment questions. I never had a clue what was going on when we were doing them - we were just told to follow the method in the book and do it ourselves without any explanation to what it is we WERE doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

andyman wrote: »
    Question 1. Hypochlorite titration

Which experiment was that? I don't recognise the name at all...

zodac wrote: »
    Which experiment was that? I don't recognise the name at all...

You might recognise it as the bleach titration.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Jade182 wrote: »
    Im in ordinary but need to pass it even thoughi was originally crossin it out of my six for points...i need it coz one of my preferences for college request that i pass a science subject.
    I can understand the topics in chemistry no problem,its just REMEMBERING THE DEFINITIONS!
    I find it really hard to remember exact words of things,i prefer to learn something in my own way and explain in my own way,but u cant do that in chem or in english quotes...it drives me mad!:confused:

Well the only type of titration on OL is acid/base so make sure you know how to answer it, go back over past papers, all the questions are pretty much the same so if you do a few you should have that question in the bag.

There is nearly always a question of the type fill in the gaps/match term to meaning/match scientist to discovery. The answers are on the paper so no major effort to do the question

The option question focuses on only one topic out of each option each year. Last year the A option was Industrial Chem option, so this year it has to be the Environmental one. Considering it's OL they will probably ask about greenhouse gases, greenhouse effect, damage to environment etc. It would be a really easy question to answer. I don't teach the option B but I think it's Electrochemistry this year.

Like HL there is lots of Organic Chemistry, it would be worth focusing on it. It will also be the second of the experiments if you don't like O.Chem there are very little other experiments on the course at OL that could be asked as the third experiment question. Go through the list at the front of the book (assuming you are using Chemistry Live) and eliminate all titrations and org chem and see what is left over for Q3.

I wish we didn't have to do 2 experiment questions. I never had a clue what was going on when we were doing them - we were just told to follow the method in the book and do it ourselves without any explanation to what it is we WERE doing.

Start with the titration, the same stuff is asked every year regardless of the type of titration it is, how to fill pipette, burette, how to make up a solution in a volumetric flask, indicators used, colour changes, and then the maths part. There will always be a few questions thrown in, individual to the experiment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

Dreading this exam.I cannot stand chemistry,wish I hadn't done it.On the plus side it is my last exam.I think the bleach titration could come up,it hasnt appeared once on the paper since 2002.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

im not looking forward to chemistry

why oh why did i pick this devil subject but still ive like 5 days to study for it so i guess ill pass it.......maybe....i hope

im not looking forward to chemistry

why oh why did i pick this devil subject but still ive like 5 days to study for it so i guess ill pass it.......maybe....i hope

I hear ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Dreading this exam.I cannot stand chemistry,wish I hadn't done it.On the plus side it is my last exam.I think the bleach titration could come up,it hasnt appeared once on the paper since 2002.

It's never appeared. That was only the Department Sample Paper that it came up in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Waaahhh

Chemistry seems so far away right now.....:eek:

It will soon creep up like a demon in the night my friend

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

i've been hearing that the topics on the 2004 paper havn't reared their ugly and unwieldy heads since, so all that shoite......edta etc. recrystallisation of benzoic acid.

woooahhh why does this bastardised subject have to be so nasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

I love chemistry. Need an A1 in it though...fingers crossed!

Don't worry! You'll get a lot done in 3/4 days. Remember, organic chemistry is 3 questions out of 8! Learn that and rates/atomic theory and you'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Yeah, love a bit of chembo alright, it's not physics though...

I'd say Bleach Titration, and then just know rates, pH, thermo, organic and equilibrium, and you'll be fine.
    I'd advise staying away from Q5 and all that Bohr stuff if you are going for the higher grades because they are very theory based and it is very easy to lose marks if your answer isn't what the marking scheme is looking for.
    Better to stick to the more calculation based questions IMO.

• Advertisement

Last year the A option was Industrial Chem option, so this year it has to be the Environmental one.

Just for clarification rainbowtrout, does that only apply to ordinary level? Could it be one of either for higher level?

Advertisement