Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need help working out my results!!

Options
  • 05-06-2009 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Firstly what does P(R) mean?

Im guessing that the R stands for repeat as I repeated an exam from semester one. I'm praying that the P stands for Pass!!

Secondly,
    I got 55 out of 60 credits.
    Failed two exams in semester one, repeated one which just has P(R) next to it. Didn't do the repeat for the second as it was a lost cause, so I planned to compensate.... but.... my GPA for semester two is only 1.95 and its needs to be 2 to compensate.
    Failed another exam in semester two. So I definitely failed two and possibly passed the third.

So have I passed? Will I go on into second year? Or will I go into stage X? (Which probably wont happen as I conveniently missed we'll say, A LOT of my tutorials) :(
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

you will be going into Stage X and have to take extra modules next year. As far as I understand it. The lesson being.... go to your tutorials :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

P(R) means Pass of a Resit module.

You can go into the next stage with a minimum of 50 of the 60 credits, so if you gained 55 credits then you can progress. But if you did not resit the failed module in Semester 1 and failed another in Semester 2, how did you get 55 credits?

When it comes to trying to pass by compensation, I would never risk it from Semester 1 - you never know what might happen in Semester 2 (as you discovered :() and it's better to get the extra grade points by resitting the module (P(R) = 2.0) and an E = 1.6).

The lesson really is: you need to go to class!!! How else can you expect to learn anything??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Leisha

Thanks.

So in stage X what happens?
    Do they decided whether or not I will get into second year based on my dedication to tutorials etc?

I know I regret not going to my tutorials but at the time I just didn't think about it. It was a choice between going to a Greek and Roman tutorial or going for coffee... I just made the wrong choice too many times!!

I've actually never heard of Stage X - I just know that if you get less than 50 credits in Stage 1, you're technically still in Stage 1 until you finalise at least 50 credits.

You can still register to Stage 2 modules, even though you're still technically in Stage 1. And if you do resits (or repeats) or modules next semester and pass them, then in January you move into Stage 2 :o

But any repeat/resit modules from Stage 1 take precedence over Stage 2 modules (ie if there is a timetable clash or something).

• Advertisement

Right, well I got an F in the one I failed this semester so I can't repeat that. And an NG in the one I didn't repeat because I didn't repeat it.

So any idea what i'll have to do?

Thanks so much for all your help so far!! I really do appreciate it. :)

Re coffee - schedule "Coffee" into your timetable and make it part of your routine.

One of my lecturers suggested that and it really works!! If you build in spare time, coffee breaks and catch up time with friends etc into your timetable, then there's no need to miss tutorials. In first year you can get away with mistakes like these, but believe me, in second year when the grades start to count towards the end result, you really need to be strict with yourself. You're not going to remember every individual coffee break with friends but a bad degree will stay with you the rest of your life :D

Ha ha ha!!! Thats a very good idea and one I will take with me to stage X!! :p

I know it was awful of me to miss my tutorials, but I just got caught up in the whole "I'm in college, I don't need to work or care about exams, college life is one big party!!" ........... It's not one big party. :p

Re the F and NG - yes, you will have to take these modules again next year.

If you got an F this semester, then you will probably RESIT the module next semester (which means simply doing the resit assessment - usually an exam, but can be anything the module coordinator decides). The grade point for a resit module is 2.0 (and if you pass you get a P(R) like you did this semester).

If you failed something in Semester 1, and then did not do the resit (NG) then you will have to probably REPEAT the module in Semester 1 next year. This means you will need to attend lectures and do the assessment as required throughout the semester - in other words, starting the module from scratch. If you're repeating the module, the grade point you can earn is capped at 2.0 (so even if you get an A in the module, you will only get 2.0)

Hope that all helps! All this information is available on the UCD website under resits and repeats.

The thought of repeating an entire module of Classics next year scares me greatly. :eek:

You've been a great help.
    From scheduling coffee breaks to Stage X, you've helped me quite a bit!!

Thank you again.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think that's the hardest thing about college. You're so used to being told what to do at school all the time by everyone that when you get to college and no-one tells you what to do, it's hard to focus. I definitely found that - which is why the timetable thing works for me. I schedule in EVERYTHING - class, study, sport, fun, boyfriend time. Once you're in a routine, it's so much easier and you get better at being flexible without neglecting anything.

Keeping your eye on the end prize is also good and I keep thinking that my friends won't be annoyed at me for missing a coffee break or two with them especially when I see them at other times but I WILL be annoyed at me if I don't get the result I want/need :)

Is Classics a core module or an elective? If it's an elective, you can substitute it with another one (though I think it costs more to do so).

Classics is an option!! Will that make any difference?

Do you mean Elective or Option?

If it's an elective (ie the module you have to choose as part of the Horizons system) then you can choose to substitute it with another elective (though like I said, I think it costs more than repeating or resitting a module).

If it's an Option, I guess it means you have a list of modules that you can choose an Option from and I would think that you could substitute it with another Option. You would have to confirm that with your Programme Director or the Programme Office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭IceICEbaby

Leisha wrote: »
    Thanks.

So in stage X what happens?
    Do they decided whether or not I will get into second year based on my dedication to tutorials etc?

Stage X doesn't exist anymore.
    We had a meeting in April or May where they told us that they were putting a whole new system in place. (I'm in first year arts btw so sorry if this isnt relevant to you!)
    They specifically told us not to ask advice off older students because it won't be the same for us now.
    I don't think they explained it too well though cos' I still haven't a clue what the new system actually entails...

I think we find out more in July when they open registration. Or you could just go your programme office in UCD
    But all I can tell you is that Stage X is gone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DaveyGem

How does someone work out there degree if they are on the 50-50 system???

Amazingly a detailed explanation of it hasn't come up in this thread yet?

Oh yeah....
    That talk was a bit vague alright!! How he managed to describe our next two years in UCD in twenty minutes was insane. :eek: I do remember him saying it would be different to other years but missed the part about Stage X... typical!!

Thanks for the help!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

DaveyGem wrote: »
    How does someone work out there degree if they are on the 50-50 system???

Amazingly a detailed explanation of it hasn't come up in this thread yet?

I don't suppose you bothered to read this thread?

Add up the gpa's of your modules from 2nd year, divide by 12, there's your gpa, now take that divide it by 100 (so for example you have 3.6, divide it by 100 and you get 0.036) then multiply your figure by 50 and you should get the estimate of 50% of your gpa (e.g. 0.036 X 50 = 1.8 = 50% of your degree).
    Do this exact same system for your 3rd year marks and you're sorted.
    Then take the gpa's from 2nd year and 3rd year, add them, divide them by 2 and there's your degree results. Isn't really that hard to work out.

My advice to Leisha; work your bollocks off the minute you start back or at the very least, have better excuse for making a cock-and-balls of 1st year other than 'going for coffee' (seriously, missing tutorials by drinking coffee and talking shíte is a pretty poor way to fail exams, at least try and fail with style). So the minute you get back to belfield in September, work, work, work, work, work, work..... work..... work..... I'm not joking, you're doing an arts degree, it's pretty crap at the best of times, so the last thing you want is a crap arts degree (If a halve decent arts degree is toilet paper, then a crap one is well... use your imagination on that one). Pull the finger out and work, because it's not going to get any easier and ucd couldn't give a fiddlers about you or excuses, you're a number and that's it. So unless you want a shít degree, keep p the missing tutorials and drinking coffee business, but you will get nothing with a shíte arts degree. On a final note, God I hate 1st years!:D

Attitude much?!?! :eek:

On a final note, God I hate people who just cant get over themselves!:D

Leisha wrote: »
    Attitude much?!?! :eek:

On a final note, God I hate people who just cant get over themselves!:D

No, I didn't expect you to take kindly to my post, sure what would I know, I've only done a damn arts degree, sure I'm talking rubbish and I'm not speaking from any experience or dealing with ucd. You're right, I just have an "attitude" and I obviously "can't get over" myself, I'm not facing unemployment and a lengthy stint on the dole followed by a massive debt and a useless postgrad course really. You're so right, Jesus your powers of deduction are wasted in ucd, you should be working in the Garda Special Branch! I don't care what you do, it's an option worth considering, it's not meant to be sugar coated, because they're aren't many euphemisms or excuses for making a balls of ones' degree.

• Advertisement

Wow you can be sarcastic as well as ignorant!!
    That degree helped you something fierce!!! :D

Yeah ok I screwed up, I missed a good amount of tutorials and didn't care until exam time came around when I realised "holy **** they were there for a reason!", but it was first year, a year when I got a chance to screw up and it wouldn't affect my degree too much. I've made mistakes and i'm learning from them and i'm not the only one (i'm sure you did that at some stage in your life too). So don't post comments telling me i'm an idiot for not working, thats not why I started this thread!! :mad:

"My advice to Leisha; work your bollocks off the minute you start back or at the very least" ... could have left it at that.

And im sorry for being a bitch in the last comment, but really there was no need for you to say all that to me, I was looking for help, not a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Stab stab stab

*kindly*

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

Whoa whoa whoa,hold on.There's no need for a fight here and insulting people for no reason.That's why God invented YouTube.

El Siglo,I know you're trying to help but it sounds like you're giving Leisha a bit of (de)constructive criticism there and that wasn't exactly the way of approaching it.We all have a difficult first year,even the ones who sail into second year or ones that get in by almost literally a whisker or somewhere in between like my case.

And if you hate 1st years,well then,that's your opinion I guess.Sure we all have to be one at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭White_Wolf

Yeah El Siglo that was a bit harsh

White_Wolf wrote: »
    Yeah El Siglo that was a bit harsh

Harsh but right, you can use all the rubbish talk in the world but it wont help you next year, what will help is, avoid failure by working harder, very simple really especially when it's a free degree (i.e. you're not paying fees right?).

I know I sounded like a cúnt, but it might be better hearing it from me, now, rather than say ucd or some one you might know.
    Wow you can be sarcastic as well as ignorant!!

Ignorant would be if I said nothing and applauded your shortcomings, what I said removed the flowery language you'll hear off of everyone else, simplicity not ignorant. Sarcastic, of course, it's boards.ie what did you expect?
    So don't post comments telling me i'm an idiot for not working, thats not why I started this thread!!

I didn't call you an idiot, did I? Did I directly insult you, no. I was annoyed that you downplayed my first comment and that you haven't ascertained the crux of my argument, that you need a good (a very good) degree given the current economic circumstances, it helps. And that some of us finishing now are faced with unemployment and debt for the next 4 years minimum, and really do you expect me not to have something to say when you whitewash it, and argue semantics? I apologise if I appear to have insulted you, it wasn't my intention, it's just I've seen countless people, piss their degrees away with lethargy and it's a waste of tax payers money and parents money and your time and the time of everyone else, I just hate to see people waste these expenses, considering if you were in England or the US it would be an entirely different matter. First year counts, not on degree terms but carrying a first module, however easy or not can drag down your results in subsequent modules and this does affect the degree. First year, in spite of what you hear and believe does matter, because next year you will either sink or swim and things will not be easy.
    We all have a difficult first year,even the ones who sail into second year or ones that get in by almost literally a whisker or somewhere in between like my case.

Yes we do, in fact more so than others, but when money is involved (because, believe it or not it is about money at the end of the day folks) you are an investment when you are a student, you gain interest over time, you need to be invested in constantly, you are a commodity therefore, personal or otherwise circumstances should be no excuse for you to give no equivocal return, and trust me I know people who've been through some horrible circumstances (now I mean absolutely horrific and life changing) and yet they've pulled through, difficult as it was you should never let personal circumstances interfere with 'business'. Would you tell your bank manager that you couldn't pay your mortgage because you weren't feeling well? Of course not,it wouldn't matter, so why then would you make excuses for messing up exams that you have and others have invested in? This is the reality of the situation, I dislike it intensely but it's the way things have gone, all you have to do is read the newspaper. It's something you're going to have to get used to quickly.
    And if you hate 1st years,well then,that's your opinion I guess.Sure we all have to be one at some point.

I probably should have put a smiley there, so you could pick up on the joke, in that I was joking and that such a statement is about as valid as saying 'I hate all 2nd years'. It's not opinion, it's a joke, and if/when you get to final year you'll get it.:D
    I know you're trying to help but it sounds like you're giving Leisha a bit of (de)constructive criticism

Have you ever played gaelic football and your trainer was a surly, alcoholic, limping, short tempered Kerry man?:pac: If so, what I said is nowhere near "(de) constructive criticism", but either way it's still valid criticism, the language and tone might appear harsh, but it's still attempting to help one make an informed decision and 'illuminate avenues of thought'.
    I was looking for help, not a fight.

I never wanted to fight with you, again you're picking and choosing what you want to read and whitewash it as me being a some sort of mean spirited bastard (I'm not really:D) and I never assumed to be fighting with you, have you ever watched Questions & Answers? You can argue, debate, criticise, expound discourses and have a confrontation with someone, but it doesn't necessarily mean they're fighting, does it?

Anyway, if you got this far, fair play and I do mean that in all sincerity. What I do pose is, is there a possibility that as some one who's been in Belfield for a while that I might be trying to help you in some manner and that at the back of it I hate to see people do badly? I mean, think of it I might appear sarcastic and mean etc... but is there are a chance that even commenting and discussing the matter to this length that I might actually care? Those are rhetorical so don't retort with rhetoric.;)

Anyway good luck with next year!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

El Siglo wrote: »
    Harsh but right, you can use all the rubbish talk in the world but it wont help you next year, what will help is, avoid failure by working harder, very simple really especially when it's a free degree (i.e. you're not paying fees right?).

I know I sounded like a cúnt, but it might be better hearing it from me, now, rather than say ucd or some one you might know.

Ignorant would be if I said nothing and applauded your shortcomings, what I said removed the flowery language you'll hear off of everyone else, simplicity not ignorant. Sarcastic, of course, it's boards.ie what did you expect?

I didn't call you an idiot, did I? Did I directly insult you, no. I was annoyed that you downplayed my first comment and that you haven't ascertained the crux of my argument, that you need a good (a very good) degree given the current economic circumstances, it helps. And that some of us finishing now are faced with unemployment and debt for the next 4 years minimum, and really do you expect me not to have something to say when you whitewash it, and argue semantics? I apologise if I appear to have insulted you, it wasn't my intention, it's just I've seen countless people, piss their degrees away with lethargy and it's a waste of tax payers money and parents money and your time and the time of everyone else, I just hate to see people waste these expenses, considering if you were in England or the US it would be an entirely different matter. First year counts, not on degree terms but carrying a first module, however easy or not can drag down your results in subsequent modules and this does affect the degree. First year, in spite of what you hear and believe does matter, because next year you will either sink or swim and things will not be easy.

Yes we do, in fact more so than others, but when money is involved (because, believe it or not it is about money at the end of the day folks) you are an investment when you are a student, you gain interest over time, you need to be invested in constantly, you are a commodity therefore, personal or otherwise circumstances should be no excuse for you to give no equivocal return, and trust me I know people who've been through some horrible circumstances (now I mean absolutely horrific and life changing) and yet they've pulled through, difficult as it was you should never let personal circumstances interfere with 'business'. Would you tell your bank manager that you couldn't pay your mortgage because you weren't feeling well? Of course not,it wouldn't matter, so why then would you make excuses for messing up exams that you have and others have invested in? This is the reality of the situation, I dislike it intensely but it's the way things have gone, all you have to do is read the newspaper. It's something you're going to have to get used to quickly.

I probably should have put a smiley there, so you could pick up on the joke, in that I was joking and that such a statement is about as valid as saying 'I hate all 2nd years'. It's not opinion, it's a joke, and if/when you get to final year you'll get it.:D

Have you ever played gaelic football and your trainer was a surly, alcoholic, limping, short tempered Kerry man?:pac: If so, what I said is nowhere near "(de) constructive criticism", but either way it's still valid criticism, the language and tone might appear harsh, but it's still attempting to help one make an informed decision and 'illuminate avenues of thought'.

I never wanted to fight with you, again you're picking and choosing what you want to read and whitewash it as me being a some sort of mean spirited bastard (I'm not really:D) and I never assumed to be fighting with you, have you ever watched Questions & Answers? You can argue, debate, criticise, expound discourses and have a confrontation with someone, but it doesn't necessarily mean they're fighting, does it?

Anyway, if you got this far, fair play and I do mean that in all sincerity. What I do pose is, is there a possibility that as some one who's been in Belfield for a while that I might be trying to help you in some manner and that at the back of it I hate to see people do badly? I mean, think of it I might appear sarcastic and mean etc... but is there are a chance that even commenting and discussing the matter to this length that I might actually care? Those are rhetorical so don't retort with rhetoric.;)

Anyway good luck with next year!:)

troll.jpg

You need a good (a very good) degree given the current economic circumstances, it helps.

I dont even have a degree never mind a very good one. All I posess is a Networks+ certificate and an MCP in Server 2003 and im doing ok for myself.

Though I do get where your coming from it does help to have a good degree obviously but its not exactly a dire need.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

White_Wolf wrote: »
    Server 2003

What?!? No Unix based OS's?! Shame on you Sir!

Hahaha no exams in any yet but i like to dabble with linux have a Ubuntu server running im my house

• Advertisement

TDOie wrote: »
    Above image

"You make an adulterous statement!":D

Advertisement