Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flashing Headlights

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

It may be worth getting a large RNLI ID to display on the car so that people know who you are.

I agree. How bout getting a matrix sign, or just a big reflective RNLI sign on the front and rear of the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

jmccoy wrote: »
    Would it not be better if a campaign for changing the laws on this topic was started. It is silly that retained fire fighters and rescue personnel cant travel under blue and twos to their stations when responding to an emergency call out. In an emergency seconds count.

I would back this 100%.....once they have proper training for the job. Im a member of IrCG and have been fighting for driver training forever. No ES service should be using blues intrained in defensive driving.....like most voluntary ES members are.

Blue lights are all great until something happens. God forbid it was a fatal accident then the driver would be criminaly prosecuted and would bring their organisation into disrepute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Surely the real answer is that if you get stuck in traffic on your way to a shout, you are living too far from the lifeboat?

Retained firefighters have to live a certain distance from the Firehouse. Is this not the same in the RNLI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 dmatty06

Three miles for RNLI. Traffic is due to summer visitors etc as clearly stated in original thread. I fear ive opened up a hot topic here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Ah.
    Motorbike is the answer then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Scooters have worked well for retained firefighters where there are traffic issues, I understand.

And the moral of the story is...

...run, run very fast, and you'll make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 gdamedic

To be honest, the legislation says its not allowed so I wouldnt reccommend it. If you are involved in a collission while on blues there would be consequences. Buy a bicycle or a scooter, it would work out better for you in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Can I make a recommendation to the O/P. Get some magentic stickers for your cars. Either Rescue or Lifeboat (RNLI wont standout as much). Get two one for back and a reverse for front. Might have problems with different bonnets having ridges but worth a try. Have two sets. On in the booth and one at home. So if pager goes off at home you can grab as your going out and slap onto car. Set in the booth if you away from home.

Also then do a press release with your local newspaper it announance the fact ye have them(will work for locals). Also your local station

I have suggested this to several units to great sucess, Fire service, IrCG, RNLI and community rescue boats. Give it a try. There about 10 -15 euro each depending on size. Nothing fancy needed just words, dont clutter it.
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Interesting thread!

I would suggest that members of RNLI etc get 'number plate-style' signs made up for use inside the front and rear windscreens of their cars.
    These could be quickly placed inside the front and rear windscreens - using small suction pads (just like Trade Plates used by car dealers) - when responding to a call out.

Another option would be to purchase ready-made 'RESCUE' signs (which are usually attached to the front of your cars' sun visor) as supplied by www.galls.com (and similar supliers). They also do 'RESCUE' signs which light up for use at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Don't forget your Siren!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

How Nice of you to bring up a show from your childhood deadwood :rolleyes:

Joking with you!.

Never ever ever ever ever let us go back to the 90's...ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 seanhelm

dmatty06 wrote: »
    Im on RNLI crew in what can be a busy seaside town in summer especially with traffic. Was thinking of buying a headlight flasher kit for my car to help through traffic when resonding to shouts.. We have emergency lifeboat call illuminous cards for visors but rarely seen.Was wondering if anyone on here has a headlight flasher kits or could advise me on legalities etc. as far as im aware flashing whites arent illegal but obv blues and reds are.
    Hi, have been RNLI crew since 93 and am a Lifeboat Training Coordinator at station. My advice .... don't use flashers or strobes. We all get a touch of the "Red Mist" when the pager goes but theres no point in racing to station with flashers full on and killing some four year old for the sake of one or two minutes. The RNLI regulations (the Green Book in your station) state very clearly that we come to station in a safe manner without breaking the law!! Secondly, current training in Poole emphasises that we should asess the situation before launching anyhow. You should have been issued with yellow visor signs "EMERGENCY LIFEBOAT CREW" one forward and one mirrored and a sticker for your windscreen. I might also suggest visor signs done by <snip>

Advertisement