Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flashing Headlights

Options
  • 04-06-2009 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Im on RNLI crew in what can be a busy seaside town in summer especially with traffic. Was thinking of buying a headlight flasher kit for my car to help through traffic when resonding to shouts.. We have emergency lifeboat call illuminous cards for visors but rarely seen.Was wondering if anyone on here has a headlight flasher kits or could advise me on legalities etc. as far as im aware flashing whites arent illegal but obv blues and reds are.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Best kit on any emergency service vehicle. Sirens and blue lights are useless during the day for traffic far away.

Dont know where to get them from,. try ringing 01-6660000 ask for the garage and ask whoever answers the phone where they get theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 dmatty06

Have found a kit on net thats pretty cheap and seems easy to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

You could throw as many amber lights on it too as you like perfectly legally; using them while moving I dunno about, seems fine for recovery and the like? Not as effective, but pop them in the grille and back window and at least people will see them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

And when you receive a shout make a phone call to your local gardai and im sure they will assist you in any way with regard to getting through traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

sdonn wrote: »
    You could throw as many amber lights on it too as you like perfectly legally; using them while moving I dunno about, seems fine for recovery and the like? Not as effective, but pop them in the grille and back window and at least people will see them.

people won't move out of the way for flashing amber lights, they will for alternating flashing headlights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 dmatty06

I feel they would be a good benefit and if ppl see them in mirrors and then lifeboat sign hopefully will pull over. Hate to think of a child drowning and us stuck in traffic. Anyone actually tried any of the kits?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

foinse wrote: »
    people won't move out of the way for flashing amber lights, they will for alternating flashing headlights.

Ah yeah I know, I meant in addition.

You can't fit these lights to a private vehicle. And as far as I know blues can only be fitted to a vehicle used for launching a boat. (That second bit may only apply in the UK though.)
    42. No lamp (other than direction indicators) fitted to a vehicle shall show or be constructed or adapted so as to be capable of showing a flashing light unless such light is invisible to persons outside the vehicle.

The Law

Just thinking about this and retained firefighters have a flashing red and white light for the dash of their private cars for responding to calls. Maybe you can look into getting something similar.

Not 100% sure about how you would go about this, maybe contact your local fire officer and ask about the procedure. I think that permission might be needed from a local super, but as i said not 100% on that.

Worth looking into though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

i got a white and amber flashing lights for mine off ebay... dosent work too good in the day but at nights you'd notice them alright... theirs plenty of kits on ebay... if your looking for something cheep and easy to get.. i know some of the websites want something to say your a emergency service.. i know not a big deal but its just less hassle..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I seem to remember this topic coming up last year. Towns with part time fire crews etc that would have red/white strobes in their car had the clearence of the local super but then again if you crash they may be an insurance there. It doesnt give you the right to break red lights or travel at highspeed. In another istance in a small rural area the garda stopped fire crew on way to the station because the they didnt know who was driving.

For what its worth, I would back yourself up wherever possible and do the following things.

Write to the super in your local. Include as much information, qualifications, they type of car you drive, reg etc. Also get some kind of official letter from the RNLI as well to forward to them. Ask for the Garda's assistance when responding to a call.

When you get a call to station. Call the Garda immediatialy. Tell them your name, car reg and intended destination and any id that you may have.

As for your car, make it as visable as possible. Headlight kits, strobes. you can get the clear strobes - dashmasters on ebay. Whelen are expensive but worth it. It may be worth getting a large RNLI ID to display on the car so that people know who you are.

The important thing to remember is this is just advice. I am not a garda, im not an expert. Its just waht I would do if it was me

Finally, I hope you get it sorted out and that I never have to call you to my assistance. You guys do great work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

An awful lot of the above information is incorrect and could result in trouble if anyone follows it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

I used to get supplies from these guys: http://www.galls.com/

You need to register with them & provide evidence that your outfit is legit etc. shouldn't be a problem for you.

Top class up to the minute stuff & great delivery service anywhere in the world.

Not up to speed on the legislation here but believe a blue is not for you, you need to check with your HQ on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Chief--- wrote: »
    And when you receive a shout make a phone call to your local gardai and im sure they will assist you in any way with regard to getting through traffic.

...IF they've got the resources, chatting to my local Sgt recently, they're skinned at the moment, don't assume immediate assistance in your planning would be my advice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

civdef wrote: »
    An awful lot of the above information is incorrect and could result in trouble if anyone follows it.

Did you not see the part where I said, Im not an expert or a garda so I dont know. The best advice is to talk to the local super at his station.

If the information is awfully incorrect, perhaps you could shed some of your wisdom to us. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭ivabiggon

Just thinking about this and retained firefighters have a flashing red and white light for the dash of their private cars for responding to calls. Maybe you can look into getting something similar.

Not 100% sure about how you would go about this, maybe contact your local fire officer and ask about the procedure. I think that permission might be needed from a local super, but as i said not 100% on that.

Worth looking into though.

retained firefighters cannot have any sort of flashing red/white lights fitted to their vehicles for the purpose of getting through the traffic, this was discussed on another forum i think the irish f/f forum? the same applies to these so called black private ambulances scooting around the city working for under takers who have green light fitted and some cases sirens... not recognoise as an emergency vehicle warning device.
    but some senior officers in the fire service have blue lights and flashing h/lights fitted but it's only from third officer up and their cars are registered with AGS.
    in this country blue is the only recognized emergency light.
    but personally i think blue and red should be the emergency light configuration as red is better seen at daytime such as the traffic cars, very visible more so than the blue.
    sure in spain the local bin truck to the emergency ambos all
    have amber flashers don't know whats going on there as i thought their was an EU directive on it.

ivabiggon wrote: »
    retained firefighters cannot have any sort of flashing red/white lights fitted to their vehicles for the purpose of getting through the traffic, this was discussed on another forum i think the irish f/f forum? the same applies to these so called black private ambulances scooting around the city working for under takers who have green light fitted and some cases sirens... not recognoise as an emergency vehicle warning device.
    but some senior officers in the fire service have blue lights and flashing h/lights fitted but it's only from third officer up and their cars are registered with AGS.
    in this country blue is the only recognized emergency light.
    but personally i think blue and red should be the emergency light configuration as red is better seen at daytime such as the traffic cars, very visible more so than the blue.
    sure in spain the local bin truck to the emergency ambos all
    have amber flashers don't know whats going on there as i thought their was an EU directive on it.

I'm aware that blue is the official colour of emergency lighting, just saying what i've seen from experience, in Fermoy, the retained firefighters all have these lights for getting to the station, and in Kilaloe i know a number of coast guard personnel who have the red and white lights, as i also pointed out i'm not 100% sure of the regulations surrounding this and advised the op to contact his local super in order to clarify if this is possible.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Up my way some of the river rescue crews have red strobes on vans/jeeps. I'm presuming they got clearance from the local super etc., as they would have a pretty high profile in the town.

If you are doing a search for online stores, put the term 'wig wag' in and you should get some results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Do not do it. If you were meant to have an vehicle with those lights on it one would be given to you for that purpose.

Thats like me putting blue lights and sirens on my personal vehicle because I am a guard and I may get a call that something has happened when off duty and need to get to the station quickly. Dont think that would go down well with the super... :eek:

• Advertisement

Another piece from the Statue Books regarding lighting.
    These Regulations consolidate and update the statutory provisions in relation to the use of flashing blue or amber warning lights on certain vehicles. Under the Regulations, blue flashing lights may be used on vehicles used by the Gardaí, the fire service, an ambulance service, the Irish Marine Emergency Service, the Irish Prison Service and vehicles used for the delivery or collection of human transplant organs, human blood or human blood products.

Amber lights may be used on a breakdown vehicle, a road clearance vehicle, a road works vehicle, a vehicle used in the collection and disposal of refuse, a vehicle used in the provision or maintenance of telephone services or of gas or electricity supply and a Customs and Excise patrol vehicle.

See Here

I still think that this still covers all types of flashing lights regardless of colour.
    42. No lamp (other than direction indicators) fitted to a vehicle shall show or be constructed or adapted so as to be capable of showing a flashing light unless such light is invisible to persons outside the vehicle.

The Law

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

I'm aware that blue is the official colour of emergency lighting, just saying what i've seen from experience, in Fermoy, the retained firefighters all have these lights for getting to the station, and in Kilaloe i know a number of coast guard personnel who have the red and white lights, as i also pointed out i'm not 100% sure of the regulations surrounding this and advised the op to contact his local super in order to clarify if this is possible.

Two members of retained fire service in Fermoy have red strobes

Killaloe (and another few station) have been cautioned by IrCG management in relation to using lights responding to calls.
    delly wrote: »
    Up my way some of the river rescue crews have red strobes on vans/jeeps. I'm presuming they got clearance from the local super etc., as they would have a pretty high profile in the town.

If you are doing a search for online stores, put the term 'wig wag' in and you should get some results.

To clear this up. Blue is the only recogonised colour ES light in the state. Amber is reserved for customs and certain vehicles. IrCG may use blue lights while preforming their function in Marine rescue while carrying equipment.....offical vehicles ONLY is the IrCG directive. A vehicle towing a lifeboat in its function of preserving life at sea is allowed to use blue lights, NOT PERSONAL vehicles.

Retained fire service also may not use blue lights on their vehicles, assistant chief fire officer up only, and includes a siren or gong.

No flashing light may come from a vehicle so as to be seen from the outside. This covers alternating/flashing headlights (as does lighting regulations)

Be aware while members of AGS may turn a blind eye to use of emergency vehicle equipment, if you have an accident you will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law and you may, depending on policy, make your insurance null and void.

Best of luck and keep safe

(also the myth of local supt saying its ok to use them is just that, a myth. No supt would leave himself open like that)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Your asking for trouble by putting emergency lighting in a private car,
    You cant have every firefighter,paramedic,coastguard member using lights to respond to calls - thats why if your retained in the fs you need to be within a certain distance of the station.
    Ive seen lights/sirens been abused by members of a rescue org and felt like ripping the system out.
    There designed for use in EMERGENCY VEHICLES and not for getting through traffic to go shopping in tesco's.
    Ime not having a go at you but theres loads of other options to improve response times.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

(also the myth of local supt saying its ok to use them is just that, a myth. No supt would leave himself open like that)
    Well I doubt its a total myth, but I could see it only being an unofficial allowance. Obviously if someone does have a strobe and has an accident, then they are on there own.

A crackdown on use of amber lights would be nice too.

Latest thing down this way seems to be for traveller's vans to have them.

civdef wrote: »
    A crackdown on use of amber lights would be nice too.

Latest thing down this way seems to be for traveller's vans to have them.

Ah here, how else will know when there skulking around the area, if it wasn't for the amber lights on there Transits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭ivabiggon

quote"Well I doubt its a total myth, but I could see it only being an unofficial allowance".

a supt wouldn't have the authority to give permission anyway.
    oh and what the hell is an "unofficial allowance"
    foolish person to give permission on something that is breaking the law:p

ivabiggon wrote: »
    quote"Well I doubt its a total myth, but I could see it only being an unofficial allowance".

a supt wouldn't have the authority to give permission anyway.
    oh and what the hell is an "unofficial allowance"
    foolish person to give permission on something that is breaking the law:p

What I mean is, if it is illegal yet members of rescue services continue to do it, then obviously the lack of enforcement would come from the super no? As I said, where I live the red lights are fixed externally to the river rescues vans and jeeps. In a town like Drogheda, there is obviously an allowance if this has been the case for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭jmccoy

Would it not be better if a campaign for changing the laws on this topic was started. It is silly that retained fire fighters and rescue personnel cant travel under blue and twos to their stations when responding to an emergency call out. In an emergency seconds count.

• Advertisement

The NRFA have been talking to the Dept about it, not sure where that is now though.

Advertisement