Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you have made a complaint???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

Hi all,
    When I got on the bus today, the driver was talking on his mobile phone, two stops later he was still on the phone, so I rang the depot (have number in my phone in case a bus is late...), gave the man on the phone all the details (bus number, what time it left at, where it was at the time etc...) and he said he'd get onto him about it.

A couple of stops later he STILL wasn't off his phone and no one had gotten in touch with him via the intercom/walkie talkie thing... so I got off the bus (I wouldn't sit in a car with someone on the phone, I wouldn't drive a car on the phone and I had my six month old baby with me, I didn't feel safe.). When I got off the bus, I rang the depot again and the guy on the phone said that the inspector in the city centre was going to talk to the guy when he got in there.

Would you have done the same thing??

Ah, this is something that drives me mad in two ways. (1) I have no tolerence for drivers of cars, buses, lorries or whatever (even cyclists!) using phones when driving. You are right, it is dangerous and it is illegal. But, something else bugs me too about the situation you describe: (2) Why complain now, why did you not say it to the driver directly? Surely you could have done so perfectly safely when you got on, at any of the two stops you mentioned or before you got off? It seems to me to be a very passive-aggressive Irish way of doing things that we avoid making a face-to-face complaint to the very person causing the problem, who could resolve it immediately, and instead go phoning and emailing higher-ups and giving out on internet forums. Fair enough, if you had said it to the driver and he continued regardless, then by all means take it further, but the easiest and clearest course of action would have been for you simply to tell the man your complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭holidayhere

Buffman wrote: »
    Personally it depends, but good on ya for doing it.
    If his driving was poor, I would call the Gardai.
    Considering you can get a cheap bluetooth headset there is no excuse.
    I agree, if those guys need to do this, there are ways of doing it.
    I cannot understand how a guy like that would be on the phone.
    They can be easily traced and probable reported several time.
    If there were an accident and the guy had been previously reported, someone should be held accountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

fiona-f wrote: »
    Why complain now, why did you not say it to the driver directly? Surely you could have done so perfectly safely when you got on, at any of the two stops you mentioned or before you got off?

Maybe the fear that the driver would just tell one to fo f*€K off and maybe the next day, not stop for one....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

fiona-f wrote: »
    Ah, this is something that drives me mad in two ways. (1) I have no tolerence for drivers of cars, buses, lorries or whatever (even cyclists!) using phones when driving. You are right, it is dangerous and it is illegal. But, something else bugs me too about the situation you describe: (2) Why complain now, why did you not say it to the driver directly? Surely you could have done so perfectly safely when you got on, at any of the two stops you mentioned or before you got off? It seems to me to be a very passive-aggressive Irish way of doing things that we avoid making a face-to-face complaint to the very person causing the problem, who could resolve it immediately, and instead go phoning and emailing higher-ups and giving out on internet forums. Fair enough, if you had said it to the driver and he continued regardless, then by all means take it further, but the easiest and clearest course of action would have been for you simply to tell the man your complaint.

Why should I have to tell a DB employee that they're breaking the rules?? He should KNOW...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Tapes, :confused: Its all digitalized now presume HDD or SD based. Most DB busses now have up to 7 cams on board, 7 internal and one foreward facing the road ahead. I also wouldn't be surprised if the driver had a separate cam and voice recorder to report attacks or abusive passengers, either way it wouldn't take much for DB to find out if a driver was using a mobile phone.

In the States they take mobile phone use on public service vehicles extremely serious, and impose stiff fines and jail sentences after a serious rail crash last year involving a pax & goods train in Southern California. They can also use cell site analysis to prove if mobile phone has been used by a driver on duty.

The CCTV overwrites itself every 5/6 days for the pre - 08 batch (they have more cameras). There is also an agreement that the content can only be used against the driver if the Garda are involved.

Watch THIS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Which I suppose they would be if a complaint was made to them about drivers using the phone. I remember watching one talking on a mobile whilst driving along the Greenhills road of all places

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Buffman

Tapes, :confused: Its all digitalized now presume HDD or SD based.

Ye, I'm just being retro, I even own a VCR!:D

SickCert wrote: »
    Watch THIS

Good example of how dangerous it is.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Cleopatra12

OP send the complaint to Ray Coyne. He is the Area Manager in Harristown. You are bang on to complain. All drivers know thay cant use either handsfree or phones at all. Would have said it to the driver tho. even tho he was flaunting the rules, you should have said it to him.

Slightly off point (so apologies)Gardai have exemption re use of mobiles. Its in the Road Traffic Act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Cleopatra12

And you can send letter to Complaints dept, to covefr all bases. 59/60 Upr O'Connell St

• Advertisement

Received this reply from Dublin Bus this morning by email.
    Dear Ms

Thank you for your e-mail and for bringing this matter to our attention.

I have logged the details of your complaint on our feedback database and forwarded a copy of you mail to the Operations manager in Harristown as he is responsible for this route.

The Operations Manager has informed me that he will be interviewing the driver involved and he will be dealt with through Dublin Bus internal disciplinary procedures. The driver will also be warned about his future behaviour and will be made well aware of the consequences of further breaches of company regulations. Drivers are strictly prohibited from using mobile phones. Also a record of this incident will be kept on his file for future reference. This type of behaviour is completely contrary to training given to all our staff and will not be condoned.

Once again thank you for your e-mail and on behalf of Dublin Bus please accept my apologies for this drivers behaviour. It is only when the public point out these problems can we correct them and deliver a better and more professional service to the customer.

Best regards,

Phelim Mc Parland.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Am I the only one that thinks this is a nasty vindictive way to carry on ? You really went out of your way to get this driver in the **** didn't you?

I'm not saying the driver was right to use his phone while driving, of course he wasn't. But c'mon, two phone calls and an e-mail !
    Maybe it made you feel important getting this guy into trouble but it looks to me like you're still like a schoolchild telling tales to the teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Am I the only one that thinks this is a nasty vindictive way to carry on ? You really went out of your way to get this driver in the **** didn't you?

I'm not saying the driver was right to use his phone while driving, of course he wasn't. But c'mon, two phone calls and an e-mail !
    Maybe it made you feel important getting this guy into trouble but it looks to me like you're still like a schoolchild telling tales to the teacher.

The driver is clearly an idiot and reckless. No.1 he's breaking the law No.2 he's putting the safety of the passengers on the bus and other road users at risk.

The OP did exactly what she should have, it's everyones responsibility to make sure people drive safely on the road and obey the law.

Tough sh1t on the driver, maybe he'll learn his lesson.

If everyone says "ah sure it's only a phone" then someday a bus will end up in a serious crash and then the same people will be on shouting their mouths off about safety. You might let it slide but any sensible person would have reported it like the OP did.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Blay wrote: »
    The driver is clearly an idiot and reckless. No.1 he's breaking the law No.2 he's putting the safety of the passengers on the bus and other road users at risk.

The OP did exactly what she should have, it's everyones responsibility to make sure people drive safely on the road and obey the law.

Tough sh1t on the driver, maybe he'll learn his lesson.

If everyone says "ah sure it's only a phone" then someday a bus will end up in a serious crash and then the same people will be on shouting their mouths off about safety. You might let it slide but any sensible person would have reported it like the OP did.

+1,000,000

The biggest problem in this country is people don't complain enough - or more accurately, don't complain to the right people (your mates down the pub can't fix the crap drivers/economy/welfare cheats/politicians etc :rolleyes:).

This driver was completely in the wrong, simple as that and put the lives of everyone on the bus, as well as other motorists at risk. Fair play to the OP for their persistence and hopefully action WILL be taken against the driver so that MAYBE he'll think next time before he rings his girlfriend/mates while behind the wheel.

Well done on the result OP

Maybe the OP was right to report it, but c'mon kid. She made two phone calls, she was told the driver would be spoken to when he arrived in town and she still felt the need to follow it up with an-mail when she got home !!
    Also can you answer me this ? If driving whilst on the phone is as dangerous as you make out, why are the Gardai allowed do it ?
    it's everyones responsibility to make sure people drive safely on the road and obey the law.
    /QUOTE]

It's up to the driver to drive their vehicle in a safe manner. It's up to the Gardai to enforce it. It certainly is not up the public to "inform" on everyone they see who commits a minor transgression of the road traffic laws. To me, it's just petty and smallminded

Maybe the OP was right to report it, but c'mon kid. She made two phone calls, she was told the driver would be spoken to when he arrived in town and she still felt the need to follow it up with an-mail when she got home !!
    Also can you answer me this ? If driving whilst on the phone is as dangerous as you make out, why are the Gardai allowed do it ?
    it's everyones responsibility to make sure people drive safely on the road and obey the law.
    /QUOTE]

It's up to the driver to drive their vehicle in a safe manner. It's up to the Gardai to enforce it. It certainly is not up the public to "inform" on everyone they see who commits a minor transgression of the road traffic laws. To me, it's just petty and smallminded

Eh yes it is?:confused:

Local newspapers have ads encouraging people to inform Gardai of unsafe driving, Gardai can't be everywhere so it's up to people to ensure the roads are safe. People who say "it's not my problem" are usually the ones who complain about unafe driving but do little about it.

Get up off your @rse and complain about illegal activity.

It has been proven that phones cause accidents and to deny it is naivety.

Also the "why are Gardai allowed use phones" has no bearing on this htread and has already consued several pages of it. They're allowed use them in the course of their duty and that's how it is, get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I can't stress how much I disagree with this last statement. We're not about a guy who cuts into a buslane a few yards early to take a left at the next lights. We're talking about a driver continuously on the phone while carrying a busload of passengers - have a look at the youtube video earlier in the thread for why this is wrong if you still don't get it.

As for the Gardai.. I fully agree that the exemption they have shouldn't be in place - I explained my reasons for this too earlier in the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Gruffalo wrote: »
    Fair play to you. I would probably have called the Gardaí.

I probably wouldn't have done anything myself but when you have a small child i might think different so Fairplay to you.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I can't stress how much I disagree with this last statement. We're not about a guy who cuts into a buslane a few yards early to take a left at the next lights. We're talking about a driver continuously on the phone while carrying a busload of passengers - have a look at the youtube video earlier in the thread for why this is wrong if you still don't get it.

That guy was texting on a motorway which is a totally different matter.
    I never said it was ok for the driver to use the phone, but I do think that the OP overeacted getting off the bus and reporting him not just once, but three times.
    Why not politely ask him to his face to finish his call ?

Also here's another question while we're at it. How much more dangerous is it for a driver to be on phone than a two way radio ? If phones are banned maybe radios should be too.

That guy was texting on a motorway which is a totally different matter.
    I never said it was ok for the driver to use the phone, but I do think that the OP overeacted getting off the bus and reporting him not just once, but three times.
    Why not politely ask him to his face to finish his call ?

Also here's another question while we're at it. How much more dangerous is it for a driver to be on phone than a two way radio ? If phones are banned maybe radios should be too.

How do you propose they communicate with the depot then? By telepathy?
    A bit of reason has to be used in this case.

• Advertisement

/QUOTE]

Are you serious? I had my six month old daughter on that bus with me! I probably wouldn't have done anything if I was on my own, but I will not put the safety of my child into question ever.

Maybe I should have asked the bus driver to get off his phone, but I probably most likely would have been greeted with a big "F**k off" or a blank stare and he would have continued on. I would have still rang the depot then. The reason I rang up twice was because the first time I rang up the person on the phone told me someone would be in touch with him via radio. Two stops later (and the bus stops are fairly far apart), there was no one in touch with him and he was still on his mobile phone. I got off the bus and rang the depot again, to inform them he was still on his mobile and that no one had been in touch. It was then the person on the other end informed me he would be spoken to at the end of his route. This guy could have been on his phone for the whole journey even if I did say anything to him!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

the boss of me, how would you feel if your child was cycling along the road and then got hit by a bus driver distracted by a mobile?

Remember buses often operate around housing estates, busy city centre roads, where with even a moments distraction you could end up killing a child or pedestrian.

I agree the Gardai shouldn't be allowed use mobiles while driving, all Garda cars should instead be equipped with high quality hands free kit or at least a wired quality headset. I assume the new tetra systems are wired like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ceret

Hi all,
    When I got on the bus today, the driver was talking on his mobile phone, two stops later he was still on the phone, so I rang the depot (have number in my phone in case a bus is late...), gave the man on the phone all the details (bus number, what time it left at, where it was at the time etc...) and he said he'd get onto him about it.

A couple of stops later he STILL wasn't off his phone and no one had gotten in touch with him via the intercom/walkie talkie thing... so I got off the bus (I wouldn't sit in a car with someone on the phone, I wouldn't drive a car on the phone and I had my six month old baby with me, I didn't feel safe.). When I got off the bus, I rang the depot again and the guy on the phone said that the inspector in the city centre was going to talk to the guy when he got in there.

Would you have done the same thing??

Good on you. It might not occur to me to ring the bus depot, but it was a good idea. As others have said, ringing the Gardaí would be good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

adrianne i'm sorry to hear about your experience about the bus driver using their mobile. it's the abuse of mobiles that inspectors across the city are mainly on the look out for. there is a zero tollerence on this. it all stems from an incident where a driver nearly hit a car carrying one of the top big wigs and a few guards a while back. they were all in the same car and the driver was using his mobile ,since then this has been top of the inspectors list amongst other things. now in saying that we can use mobiles when we are pulled over and only when we are pulled over to one side. i've checked this out. recently i was driving in service and a foreign national hands me his mobile so the person on the other end could tell me where to let this man off. luckily i was at a bus stop. i got this clarified becuase the last thing i would've wanted was for a plain clothes monitor to see this. there are also issues with drivers using the radio whilest driving. some drivers refuse to answer the radio as they see this as much of a distraction as using a mobile, strangely enough there's nothing to say we cant use the radio when driving.

Advertisement