Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you have made a complaint???

Options
  • 04-06-2009 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    When I got on the bus today, the driver was talking on his mobile phone, two stops later he was still on the phone, so I rang the depot (have number in my phone in case a bus is late...), gave the man on the phone all the details (bus number, what time it left at, where it was at the time etc...) and he said he'd get onto him about it.

A couple of stops later he STILL wasn't off his phone and no one had gotten in touch with him via the intercom/walkie talkie thing... so I got off the bus (I wouldn't sit in a car with someone on the phone, I wouldn't drive a car on the phone and I had my six month old baby with me, I didn't feel safe.). When I got off the bus, I rang the depot again and the guy on the phone said that the inspector in the city centre was going to talk to the guy when he got in there.

Would you have done the same thing??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Gruffalo

Fair play to you. I would probably have called the Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Buffman

Would you have done the same thing??

Personally it depends, but good on ya for doing it.
    If his driving was poor, I would call the Gardai.
    Considering you can get a cheap bluetooth headset there is no excuse.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Say it to the driver on the bus, i would be very anti-mobile. I have the bluetooth (which DB dont allow) BUT my family know unless they have lost a limb its text messages only which i can check at a later stage.

I pulled up a female garda yesterday on the Cherrywood bridge for using her phone, opened the windows and said 'how many points for that?',,,'Official business' was the reply, then she jumped the red light!

The mobile phone law is abused by too many and i dont like it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Why risk your job over a phone call. There are too many smug drivers on the road who just don't give a damn about anybody else, not just DB but all drivers. The Gardai don't exactly come out as shining examples either.

SickCert wrote: »
    I pulled up a female garda yesterday on the Cherrywood bridge for using her phone, opened the windows and said 'how many points for that?',,,'Official business' was the reply, then she jumped the red light!

Gardai (and the other emergency services) are exempt from this law. Handsfree would be handy for them though.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

well isnt talking on the phone while driving illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,735 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

SickCert wrote: »
    Buffman wrote: »
    Gardai (and the other emergency services) are exempt from this law. Handsfree would be handy for them though.

Sounds more like she was abusing the exemption to me and then ran a red light to emphasise her "untouchability" :mad:

Typical Garda behaviour though.. far too many of them think a badge makes them Dirty Harry (or Harriet in this case). :rolleyes:
    It's rare that you meet a decent one (hell even professional and competent would be a start in my experience).

And like every other state-run body, there's absolutely nothing we can do about it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Slightly off topic with regard to bus drivers talking on their phone..but,

I have broken many red lights while talking on the phone and while driving a garda car on duty.

Last time i did this was about 3 weeks ago, i was on the phone to the Garda station where a garda was on the phone to a member of the public. This person had jumped into another member of the publics car...after his car was hijacked at knife point.

The Garda was getting directions from the man who was following his car in the good citizens car. This garda was relaying the directions to me as our radio was not working. Well it was working but was breaking up and making a kind of squeeeeeeking noise as they always do. Alot of the time they are unusable. Taxi drivers and security guards have a better radio system than us.

This is why Gardai are not breaking the law by speaking on their phone while driving.

THIS PARTICULAR LAW DOES NOT APPLY TO THEM.

No dirty harry impersonations in the above post :rolleyes: simply doing my job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Chief--- wrote: »

I have broken many red lights while talking on the phone and while driving a garda car on duty.

Last time i did this was about 3 weeks ago, i was on the phone to the Garda station where a garda was on the phone to a member of the public. This person had jumped into another member of the publics car...after his car was hijacked at knife point.

The Garda was getting directions from the man who was following his car in the good citizens car. This garda was relaying the directions to me as our radio was not working. Well it was working but was breaking up and making a kind of squeeeeeeking noise as they always do. Alot of the time they are unusable. Taxi drivers and security guards have a better radio system than us.

This is why Gardai are not breaking the law by speaking on their phone while driving.

An OT question for you... if Gardai are allowed use mobile phones, why aren't bluetooth headsets mandatory?? It'd make it safer?

An OT question for you... if Gardai are allowed use mobile phones, why aren't bluetooth headsets mandatory?? It'd make it safer?

I dont know. Email the minister for justice and ask him to amend the statute that allows gardai to use their phone while driving..

Mind you he will have to pay for all the blutooth headsets :)

• Advertisement

Of course, because that is the only situation in which the bluebottles use their mobile while driving. You guys never abuse your authority:rolleyes:

Gruffalo wrote: »
    Of course, because that is the only situation in which the bluebottles use their mobile while driving. You guys never abuse your authority:rolleyes:

Tell me how they are abusing their authority by talking on their phone while driving.

The specific law that makes it illegal for non gardai to use their phone does not apply to Gardai.

sorry for shouting but...

THEY ARE NOT BREAKING ANY LAW!

It just pisses you off because you cannot do it.

Thats for sure, I was gonna reply earlier but didn't as it's way OT.
    I dont know. Email the minister for justice and ask him to amend the statute that allows gardai to use their phone while driving..

Mind you he will have to pay for all the blutooth headsets :)

I don't think BT headsets would last too long in that job, the old fashioned 'cradle' type handsfree for the official mobile would probably be handier. Hopefully the new radios will negate the need for mobiles at all.

Yes back to the bus driver.

You should make a complaint in writing. Start a paper trail and keep a copy of it.

Ah come on.
    Do you need a refill of tar for your very big brush!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bluebottles
    Can we stick to the words that grown ups use if polite discussion?

Victor wrote: »
    Can we stick to the words that grown ups use if polite discussion?

It is a common term used in the same lighthearted manner as "blueshirts" for Fine Gael. Is slang now forbidden by the thought police?

Ah come on.
    Do you need a refill of tar for your very big brush!

Is that the only situation where they use their mobiles when driving? Do Gardaí never abuse their authority?

Tell me how they are abusing their authority by talking on their phone while driving.

The specific law that makes it illegal for non gardai to use their phone does not apply to Gardai.

Did I say they were breaking the law in that instance? Is English no longer a requirement for the job?

If I was writing a letter, would I send it to DB, O'Connell Street? Or to the Harristown depot??? Does anyone know any contacts in DB that I could send the letter to?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Send it to 59.

The depots are under too much strain at the moment with the new changes.

If I was writing a letter, would I send it to DB, O'Connell Street? Or to the Harristown depot??? Does anyone know any contacts in DB that I could send the letter to?

Probably best to send it to Head office here .
    If you email them at the info address with 'Complaint' as the subject, I'd say it would get to the right person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Just because they are breaking the law, it doesn't make it safe because they are in a shiny white car............ it's still flipping dangerous especially the way they drive coming out of crossroads through red lights almost killing people who are going through green lights without any prior notice :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭dub_commuter

Same happened to me on the 46A. Driver using mobile going down O'Connell Street, stopped at D'Olier Street, before doing so noticed inspector put mobile phone away someone said to inspector at D'Olier Street who got on about it.

Inspector told the passenger off for stating such incorrect information and it was unhelpful for such malicious rumours to be spread about their drivers and it could land the member of the public in trouble as others may do it but not them.

Driver leaves D'Olier Street, When I push bell to get off on Lesson Street as moving to the front of the bus I notice he's on his phone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,735 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I just find it ironic that a normal joe public can get done for driving while on the phone (or even holding one) - the reasoning being that it's dangerous driving (which I'd agree with btw) - but somehow a Garda is presumably granted special powers of concentration with the badge so that the same limitation doesn't apply to them? :rolleyes:

Add a high-powered squad car to the equation (that a lot of Gardai are driving without advanced training), and it's an accident waiting to happen.
    Indeed, have squad cars not inexplicably left the road and ploughed into walls, innocent bystanders etc in recent times, and while I can't say for sure that the reason was that the driver was on the phone, let's face facts - the general public would never find out anyway!

Just because someone has a badge doesn't make them in anyway superior to the rest of the general population in this (or any other) regard, and similarly just because it's not technically illegal, doesn't make it ok or acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,531 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Isn't this thread about Dublin Bus?

We seem to have lost the topic among people's bitching about Gardai and mobiles, they didnt make the law, contact these people with your moans, you're destroying the thread.

OT- You did the right thing OP fair play, I'd write to DB too with all the info and complain.

(Trying to write a letter now, I think I may be rambling a bit, should I ask for an update on the outcome??)

I think the other thing that I was wondering about... what if the driver denies being on the phone? Do they take the drivers word for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,531 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

(Trying to write a letter now, I think I may be rambling a bit, should I ask for an update on the outcome??)

I think the other thing that I was wondering about... what if the driver denies being on the phone? Do they take the drivers word for it?

Ask to be informed of what was done following your complaint, he may deny it or may say he was only on it for a minute or two or he might even admit it, either way I'm sure they'll follow up the complaint, afterall unless you were serious you wouldn't bother calling them and writing a letter of complaint to them.

Yep, ask to be kept upto date on any developments.

About the driver denying it, I think even the older busses have loads of CCTV cameras inside them now, so he may have been recorded doing it. (I don't know how long they keep the tapes for, I would guess a few days at least.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

(I don't know how long they keep the tapes for, I would guess a few days at least.)
    Tapes, :confused: Its all digitalized now presume HDD or SD based. Most DB busses now have up to 7 cams on board, 7 internal and one foreward facing the road ahead. I also wouldn't be surprised if the driver had a separate cam and voice recorder to report attacks or abusive passengers, either way it wouldn't take much for DB to find out if a driver was using a mobile phone.

In the States they take mobile phone use on public service vehicles extremely serious, and impose stiff fines and jail sentences after a serious rail crash last year involving a pax & goods train in Southern California. They can also use cell site analysis to prove if mobile phone has been used by a driver on duty.

Advertisement