Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blasphemous Atheist???

Options
2»

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

My Science! What the Dawkins are you all taking about?!?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I still wear a cross, cause my gf bought it for me and she still kind of sort of believes and sides, it looks pretty!
    I wear it on a short chain, so it's visible at the base of my throat pretty much 24/7, garnering the oddest looks when I decline to take literature from the various preachers in dublin with a "Oh, no thanks I'm an atheist."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

dvpower wrote: »
    Point of information. Brass monkeys were brass triangles used to hold mounds of cannonballs on ships (think snooker triangles). In very cold weather, the brass would contract and the cannon balls would spill over, hence the phrase 'freeze the balls off a brass monkey'.

No, that's a clever folk etymology, the balls are testes, and the "brass monkey" is an actual brass monkey.

Early references to "brass monkeys" in the 19th century have no references to balls at all, but instead variously say that it is cold enough to freeze the tail, nose, ears, and whiskers off a brass monkey; or hot enough to "scald the throat" or "singe the hair" of a brass monkey. All of these variations imply that an actual monkey is the subject of the metaphor.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_monkey_(colloquial_expression)

For a concise refutation of the very common folk etymology about cannonballs, see here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Mickeroo wrote: »
    My Science! What the Dawkins are you all taking about?!?!?!

Reminded me of the south park episode..... way forward me thinks!!! :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

jimbling wrote: »
    Reminded me of the south park episode..... way forward me thinks!!! :D

hehe......yea thats what i was thinking of, my sig is also from that episode :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

It depends entirely on my mood. I usually say thank fcuk instead of thank god, but if I'm trying to be polite, I'll say thank god. Really, I use the F word in almost every sentence, so the blasphemous exclaimations I make which don't contain it are in the minority...

Advertisement