Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blasphemous Atheist???

Options
  • 04-06-2009 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭

Right, was just glancing at the the Thank God thread and this thought popped into my head.

How many of ye still use the Blasphemous phrases from your youth?
    e.g.
    I constantly catch myself using the phrase Thank God when I feel relief... or Jesus / Jesus Christ when I feel frustration or anger.
    I'm sure there are tons of other religiously bent sayings I'm not thinking of right now that I use.
    I've tried to change the phrases.... but end up just replacing it with fck for some reason. i.e. Thank fck for that

It's weird.... and embarrassing!!! Especially when someone I've been debating religion with catches me doing it.... In the middle of a debate :o

Anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

They are what they are, expressions of relief or anger. I don't see why we would need to stop using them, but that's just me.

Besides, old habits die hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

It sounds like your friend is just jumping on every little pointless argument they can find.....classic deist!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Yea I always find myself saying praise Allah! when somethng good happens :D

Na man i completly agree with you Being a blasphemous atheist is hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

jimbling wrote: »

It's weird.... and embarrassing!!! Especially when someone I've been debating religion with catches me doing it.... In the middle of a debate :o

Just point out to them that you're a product of your environment, so with phrases like "thank god/jayzus", "bless you", "in the name of god", etc., so commonplace in Ireland/Dublin, you're inevitably going to take to them. It's hard to get out of the habit.

Furthermore, what difference does it make? :confused: Nothing you or anyone else says has any bearing on the existance of god, so it's irrelevant!

Lately I've found that I cringe a bit if I reference god in a sentence, conversation, etc., even if it's just by using some idiom. But I don't make any conscious effort to refrain tbh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

How many of ye still use the Blasphemous phrases from your youth?
    From time to time. I suppose it's like religious people saying "f*ck"...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I love nowadays , because we're living in an increasingly secular world, just asking really religious types to tell us how we all managed to come about, it gives a jolly good laugh. My biology teacher ,for instance, believes in adam and eve? yet teaches the theory of evolution. It's funny:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I use "jesus christ," "for god's sake," "goddamnit," etc. all the time.

They're just words like any other and have absolutely no significant meaning to me, why wouldn't I use them in colloquial conversation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭8kvscdpglqnyr4

Well you could just point out to your friend the he/she calls the 4th day of the week "Thursday", or the original meaning "Day of Thor". That doesn't mean you believe in Thor, it's just history/heritage/culture. Same thing saying "Thank God" ... part of our history/heritage/culture. It doesn't mean you believe it god.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

lol, This isn't something I fret about lads..... and guys picking up on it are just taking the mick out of me.

But it is something to think about.

liah wrote: »
    I use "jesus christ," "for god's sake," "goddamnit," etc. all the time.

They're just words like any other and have absolutely no significant meaning to me, why wouldn't I use them in colloquial conversation?

Words do have a meaning, and are significant. Daily language has a great influence in our world. Isn't this the reason we don't say the N word. Or call disabled people Retards. etc etc. The people saying these phrases don't necessarily mean anything by it... but it's degrading etc.
    Surely letting the term "Thank God" be a standard definition of gratefulness by the populace is just fuelling the fire of religion?
    robindch wrote: »
    From time to time. I suppose it's like religious people saying "f*ck"...?

Not at all. Fck is a generic term and has no connotations to anything (lol, well it does... perhaps its like a celibate priest using the term :D).

Dave! wrote: »
    Just point out to them that you're a product of your environment, so with phrases like "thank god/jayzus", "bless you", "in the name of god", etc., so commonplace in Ireland/Dublin, you're inevitably going to take to them. It's hard to get out of the habit.
    Just because it is brought about from our environment and our heritage doesn't mean we have to keep it. In fact, I would have thought Atheists were probably the most likely bunch to say otherwise.

Furthermore, what difference does it make? :confused: Nothing you or anyone else says has any bearing on the existance of god, so it's irrelevant!

Obviously nothing I say has any bearing on the existence of a god. But an english person call me a dumb irish mick doesn't mean I am one either. Are those words meaningless?
    Lately I've found that I cringe a bit if I reference god in a sentence, conversation, etc., even if it's just by using some idiom. But I don't make any conscious effort to refrain tbh.

What you're feeling is exactly what I'm talking about. I've never tried to refrain from it either.
    Well you could just point out to your friend the he/she calls the 4th day of the week "Thursday", or the original meaning "Day of Thor". That doesn't mean you believe in Thor, it's just history/heritage/culture. Same thing saying "Thank God" ... part of our history/heritage/culture. It doesn't mean you believe it god.

It is very unlike the Day of Thor example. Nobody even knows what that means. But everyone still knows what Thank God means. You are saying you are thankful to god, whether you mean it or not.

This is all meant as a bit of fun...... I'm not starting a political party to rid the word of Blasphemous Atheists or anything :pac: :pac:

But it came up a few times there. It's like political correctness for Atheists :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

theres no good substitute for God in these phrases, you can either use f**k which will make you sound crude or gosh which will make you sound like a 14 year old american in a low budget film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

theres no good substitute for God in these phrases, you can either use f**k which will make you sound crude or gosh which will make you sound like a 14 year old american in a low budget film

Ha ha yeah, or this guy:

Words do have a meaning, and are significant. Daily language has a great influence in our world. Isn't this the reason we don't say the N word. Or call disabled people Retards. etc etc. The people saying these phrases don't necessarily mean anything by it... but it's degrading etc.

You kind of blatantly ignored the "to me" part. It isn't significant to me in any way, shape, or form. It's just words. I use them in the same context I use "fúck" or "shít" (for fúck's sake, for example, or holy shít, or thank fúck). Filler.

Words only have meaning if you give them meaning. Like how black people can call each other nigga, and only take offense if white people say it. Or how you can say "Hey, ya bollocks, what's the story?" in a friendly manner, despite the term being a bit of an insult, and your mate wouldn't get offended.

Semantics, mate. Put meaning on what you want but what it really comes down to is BS PC culture and people being to afraid to use certain combinations of letters.. for what? It's about context, anyway.

You kind of blatantly ignored the "to me" part. It isn't significant to me in any way, shape, or form. It's just words. I use them in the same context I use "fúck" or "shít" (for fúck's sake, for example, or holy shít, or thank fúck). Filler.

Words only have meaning if you give them meaning. Like how black people can call each other nigga, and only take offense if white people say it. Or how you can say "Hey, ya bollocks, what's the story?" in a friendly manner, despite the term being a bit of an insult, and your mate wouldn't get offended.

Semantics, mate. Put meaning on what you want but what it really comes down to is BS PC culture and people being to afraid to use certain combinations of letters.. for what? It's about context, anyway.

I know I ignored the "to me" but that's because it's not really the context I was talking about. In saying that, I'm with ya to an extent. The PC brigade is nuts these days.

But... I don't agree with words not having a meaning. They do. Maybe not to you personally, but they have a great influence on the populace.
    We need to replace the Thank Gods with something else. Something more secular. :D

Nail on head. Main reason for posting was because I couldn't think of any substitutes to use :D

Why would I bother changing what I say just to be more "secular" and "PC" then, if I'm perfectly content in the lack of meaning behind my words?

If other people want to take offense to me saying goddamnit, they can go right ahead, it's not my problem what other people read into my words. I'm not going to censor myself just because to other people it has some connotation. To me, it's just a pairing of letters that rolls off my tongue. I don't say it intending to be anti-religion or blasphemous or whatever. I say it the same way I use "the," without even thinking about it.

It is up to the listener's discretion as to how they want to take something they hear, and it is their own fault if they read some unintended meaning into it, not the sayer's.

Why would I bother changing what I say just to be more "secular" and "PC" then, if I'm perfectly content in the lack of meaning behind my words?

If other people want to take offense to me saying goddamnit, they can go right ahead, it's not my problem what other people read into my words. I'm not going to censor myself just because to other people it has some connotation. To me, it's just a pairing of letters that rolls off my tongue. I don't say it intending to be anti-religion or blasphemous or whatever. I say it the same way I use "the," without even thinking about it.

It is up to the listener's discretion as to how they want to take something they hear, and it is their own fault if they read some unintended meaning into it, not the sayer's.

Liah, think you're misunderstanding the whole point. It's not about offending anyone. What it's about is Atheists unwittingly spreading the word of God :D

I don't see how it's spreading the word of god, especially if it's used in such a casual manner. Pretty much everyone in the world knows about the idea of god already, why the hell would using it in that manner be considered "spreading the word of god?" If anything, it's just making it less sacred.

I don't see how it's spreading the word of god, especially if it's used in such a casual manner. Pretty much everyone in the world knows about the idea of god already, why the hell would using it in that manner be considered "spreading the word of god?" If anything, it's just making it less sacred.

lol, all right liah, you're taking this way too seriously.

I still reckon using God and Jesus phrases in our daily lives is something most strong willed Atheists would rather not do. Obviously you do not agree. No worries.
    Note: I am not either, and undoubtedly will continue to use them regardless.. just thought it would be a fun topic and might be a bit of a distraction from the interesting yet mind numbing debates that go on here between Atheists and the Religious.

So, anyone come up with any better phrases???

Are there any Atheists out there who have made an effort in their lives to eradicate these phrases from their vocabulary???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

What's the big deal? It's just a figure of speech.

"'Twould freeze the mickey off a brass monkey". I'm sure you've heard that one before yeah? But wait, there are no brass monkeys.... so that means my integrity is in question. Hmmm.

It's an extrememly trivial matter, I barely notice I'm "spreading the word of god" when I stub my toe and scream "JAYSUS HOLY MARY SHYTE", plus I love taking the lord's name in vain.

Jimmy: It's raining cats and dogs

Johnny: You actually think that there are cats and dogs falling out of the sky?

Jimmy:
    Eh..... no.

Overblood wrote: »

"'Twould freeze the mickey off a brass monkey". I'm sure you've heard that one before yeah? But wait, there are no brass monkeys.... so that means my integrity is in question. Hmmm.

It's an extrememly trivial matter, I barely notice I'm "spreading the word of god" when I stub my toe and scream "JAYSUS HOLY MARY SHYTE", plus I love taking the lord's name in vain.

Of course it's trivial. Honestly lads.... I hardly believe It's spreading the word of God... I was joking.
    Christ, you'd think Atheists would have more whit :pac: :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Overblood wrote: »

Point of information. Brass monkeys were brass triangles used to hold mounds of cannonballs on ships (think snooker triangles). In very cold weather, the brass would contract and the cannon balls would spill over, hence the phrase 'freeze the balls off a brass monkey'.

Ah, point taken, but where I'm from we also say "mickey".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

Puts on nerd glasses and sprouts pimples A couple of friends of mine who watch Battlestar galactica have taken to saying "gods damn it" or "in the name of the gods" or things to that effect. They're all atheists so to be honest it's just harmless geeky jest.

takes off glasses, uses clearasil and lights up a cigarette I on the other hand still use these phrases. It does inevitably happen when I'm debating someone on the theist side of things but they usually laugh it off unless they're turbo-christians or something and try to convince me I still believe (good luck lads). I have tried in the past to use other things to comical effect though. Such as "what in the name of the mighty cheese tree is going on here" or other rediculousness. It catches people un-aware and usually gets a laugh.

To be honest it doesent irk me to know i'm using these exclamations. They're harmless really and very few people take offence to them. I'll probably use them all my life despite being avowedly atheist. It's not a big deal.

dvpower wrote: »
    Point of information. Brass monkeys were brass triangles used to hold mounds of cannonballs on ships (think snooker triangles). In very cold weather, the brass would contract and the cannon balls would spill over, hence the phrase 'freeze the balls off a brass monkey'.

Hahaha... was just going to point this one out but you beat me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

legologic wrote: »
    [unless they're turbo-christians or something

What in the name of God is a turbo-christian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Schumacher1

Most of us that went to school in this country were brainwashed when we started school. We grew up hearing these expressions, and thats all they are, speech.

I say holy f*ck, my da use to use the jesus mary and joseph, or hell gates when pissed off. Now he use f*cksticks, which is a great little swear word.

They will disappear eventually. To be replaced by kids nowadays who are brainwashed by american TV ... whatever.. like so ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Valmont wrote: »
    What in the name of God is a turbo-christian?

http://www.date.com/christian-dating/colombia-turbo.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

theres no good substitute for God inese phrases, you can either use f**k which will make you sound crude or gosh which will make you sound like a 14 year old american in a low budget film
    Nail on head. Main reason for posting was because I couldn't think of any substitutes to use :D
    What it's about is Atheists unwittingly spreading the word of God :D

Interesting. I was raised Atheist, and having had a little think about it, I don't use phrases like 'Thank god' or 'Damn'. It just wasn't part of my family vocabulary.

I do think the whole language, and the world in general, is better off without references to god or damnation though.

And gosh, I mean crikey! I do say gosh quite a lot.:o

Advertisement