Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bands/Albums Recommendations

Options
  • 04-06-2009 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭

Maybe its just me but I find it a bit of a pain in the arse trawling the net looking for new music or album releases by established groups so I was thinking about a having a recommendations thread for the release of new stuff,be it albums from your favourite bands or new bands releasing their debut album.It doesnt even have to be new material,it can come from bands you love and think other Boardsies would appreciate,regardless of genre.
    Ideally posters will stick up a couple of youtube links to some tracks.If it works well maybe Karl Hungus or one of the other mods can sticky it.

Anyway,I will start the ball rolling with Xerath.

A while ago Terrorizer had a CD with unsigned bands with the magazine and Xerath were one of the bands on it.They got picked up by Candlelight records and released their debut album Xerath I last month.
    They have been likened to mixing part Dimmu Borgir,part Meshuggah and part Strapping Young Lad,high praise indeed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭ladystrange

I think this is a great idea. Another forum I frequent does the same thing & its through this site that I've found a few brilliant bands I maybe wouldnt have otherwise.

I'm at work at the minute but will put up a few youtube links at lunch time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Hope this takes off as myself and a few others on here tried to start an album review thread a week or so ago, and a few of us posted about new albums we bought, but the thread sank without a trace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I wouldnt even go as far as posting reviews (if you dont want to that is).

A couple of tracks or promo videos would be more than enough to make up ones mind as to whether you like the band or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭ladystrange

Didnt get the chance to get some stuff posted up yesterday. Damn work!! :mad:

I know some will probably have heard/are into the following two bands but they're bands I've just gotten into in the last year or so & I loves 'em!! :cool:

Alter Bridge, cant rate this band enough. Since first hearing the album Blackbird last year they have totally blown me away, they've become top of my list of rock/metal bands ever - and I'm way old :eek: & have been into rock for around 25 years now. Anyhow here's a couple of their tracks from youtube. Sorry I havent figured out how to put the link in so it shows up like you did ned!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq9j5JaMEEU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko6tfrjc1E0

Shinedown, another band I've just got into recently and again have totally blown me away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeCQUSh1Pyo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=douit34jcQ0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Norman213

one to check out are "Trigger the Bloodshed", they're a young death metal band from england that are awesome.
    their new release, the great depression, is well worth a listen

• Advertisement

Germany arent exactly renowned for their metal output but I recently discovered Heaven Shall Burn.They have been on the go for over 10 years and play melodic death metal.Some of there stuff is pretty damn good too.
    Id recommend them to fans of Arch Enemy.

Norman213 wrote: »
    one to check out are "Trigger the Bloodshed", they're a young death metal band from england that are awesome.
    their new release, the great depression, is well worth a listen

They are pretty damn good man,cheers.

@ ladystrange.

To embed the youtube tracks

On the youtube page of the chosen track there is a little box to the right of the video as it plays.

There are 2 boxes in it,1 is labeled URL and below that is labeled embed.

Click on the text in the embed box and copy it.

Next come back to the post a reply section and paste it.

It will look like this

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TTkZt8r2lko&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TTkZt8r2lko&hl=en&fs=1&&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Simply highlight the text with the cursor and then click on the youtube symbol along the toolbar,its beside the spoiler tag and viola!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Ned the shed, you just showed me my new fave band......I have to pick up there album!!!

I also second trigger the bloodshed. and another band i recommed is Devil Sold His Soul

There Pretty cool, a bit like Isis but there very much there own band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Creeping-Death

Violator. Brazilian thrash band, sound akin to very early Slayer material.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC0BwkPuvSg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Creeping-Death

That forefather tune is great, cheers nacho!

For fans of black/thrash metal,check out Nachtmystium.The below track is from this years Assassins ablum.I havnt heard any of their other albums but going by this they would be well worth tracking down.(for me anyway)

Not new but a very underrated thrash band.

Coroner - Mistress of Deception

nedtheshed wrote: »
    For fans of black/thrash metal,check out Nachtmystium.The below track is from this years Assassins ablum.I havnt heard any of their other albums but going by this they would be well worth tracking down.(for me anyway)

Fantastic band. This is another good song by them from an earlier release.

I recently discovered the mighty Skinless.Brutal death metal is their style.
    Should interest fans of Decapitated,Dying Fetus etc.Below is the cover art from their most recent effort Trample the weak,hurdle the dead.
    Its one of the best album covers Ive seen in a long time.

Skinless_-_Hurdle.JPG

Heres a couple of tracks from thier newest album.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Germany arent exactly renowned for their metal output
    Say what? Just because you may not have heard of the bands doesn't mean they aren't there. What about Blind Guardian, Suidakra, Deadlock, Accid Reign, Ashes of a Lifetime, Eyes of Eden, Fear My Thoughts and Powerwolf? And that's just off the top of my head. It's quite a big country so there are plenty more!
    nedtheshed wrote:
    I recently discovered Heaven Shall Burn.
    I love these guys too. Iconoclast Part 1 is probably my favourite album.

Back on-topic, I got DevilDriver's latest album Pray For Villians last night and I am very impressed with it. Unlike many other bands, these guys seem to be getting better with age.

press play on these if you are into black metal and its different offshoots:

Wolves In The Throne Room

Darkestrah - first six minutes of a 30 minute song

Windir

Didnt know Devil Driver had a new album out,nice one.

Have been listening a bit to Wolves in the Throne Room and TBH Im finding them a little tough to get into.Technically they are excellent but I find them a bit meandering and lose interest.2 10 minute tracks might not be too bad but an album that lasts an hour or so and has only 4 songs is a bit of a slog,even for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭ShotgunblueZ

I would have to recommend to you all the new album by the genre bending band ISIS: Wavering Radiant.

It's possibly their best album in my humble opinion (yes, even better than 'Oceanic' & 'Panopticon'.

As with most of their work, it takes time and patience to appreciate the intricate musicianship...well worth checking out & here is a review on a great site:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/compact_discs/isis/wavering_radiant/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr.Slurm

Nevermore are a cool band. I don't know how well known they are, but I'll recommend them anyway.

Have a listen if you haven't heard them before. This is Inside Four Walls from their Dead Heart in a Dead World album.

• Advertisement

Anaal Nathrakh release their new album,In The Constellation Of The Black Widow on the 29th of this month through Candlelight.Ive heard their music described as been apocalyptic black metal.I personally love them.Id recommend them to fans of Aborym or The Axis Of Perdition.

Anaal_Nathrakh_-_In_the_Constellation_of_the_Black_Widow.jpg

Heres a couple of tracks from their previous releases.

not sure how well known these guys are, but if you don't know them and are are into Enslaved, Borknagar and Vintersorg, you should press play on the video.

I would have to recommend to you all the new album by the genre bending band ISIS: Wavering Radiant.

It's possibly their best album in my humble opinion (yes, even better than 'Oceanic' & 'Panopticon'.

As with most of their work, it takes time and patience to appreciate the intricate musicianship...well worth checking out & here is a review on a great site:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/compact_discs/isis/wavering_radiant/index.html

I always love to discover great new music. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 guitar

A band from England called Breedpart. They are destined for great things and have the next installment of their album coming out this autumn.
    For Fans of DevilDriver, Lamb of God, God Forbid, Children Of Bodom

www.myspace.com/breedapart05

They only have one album at the minute, but Unjust Martyr sums this band up

Mendeed - Killer band from Scotland, however their record company ****ed them over and they have yet to resign, Latest album is called The dead still live by love.... sounds emo i know, but the total opposite. Just listen ;)
    For Fans of DevilDriver, Lamb of God, God Forbid, Children Of Bodom

Make or break songs

Fuel the fire
    Stand as one and fight for glory
    The Reaper Waits
    Its not over yet

Mystic Prophecy - Power metal i can actually listen to. Amazing voice, jaw dropping guitar, but unlike dragonforce...every song sounds different
    Albums to listen to Satanic Curses and
    For fans of....Firewind, Blind Guardian, Sonata Artica, Wintersun

Make or break songs

Calling from hell
    Sarcifice me
    Gods of War
    Fireangel
    We Kill You Die - defo this one

GO LISTEN!!! YOU WILL NOT REGRET

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Stella89

THe Horrors-Sheena is a parasite (Featuring Samantha Morton)

Primary Colors

melodic death metal with folks influences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

+1 for devil soul this soul, a fragile hope is excellent, not sure how or why i came to like this as its not my usual thing at all :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

calex71 wrote: »
    +1 for devil soul this soul, a fragile hope is excellent, not sure how or why i came to like this as its not my usual thing at all :confused:

I know, i just found them totally randomly on myspace and i fell in love with the album. Then i started listening to isis and now im hooked...

Razor of Occam released their Homage to Martyrs album earlier.Tis very good stuff,modern Black Metal,they actually sound quite like Naglfar.

42e3f8043e0fb0dde26bc81802e.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

I think this is a great idea. Another forum I frequent does the same thing & its through this site that I've found a few brilliant bands I maybe wouldnt have otherwise.

I'm at work at the minute but will put up a few youtube links at lunch time.

whats this forum u speak of hey?

this is a great thread. stick it up there mod dudes

Advertisement