Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for my stomach?

Options
  • 02-06-2009 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Ok I have a bit of flab around my stomach, especially my lower stomach - I used to be huge in a lot of athletic events but I stopped finding time to do so.

But at home I do a tonne of sit ups daily and I eat healthy enough, a small binge every once in a while - generally a whopper meal when me and the boyfriend are together, which isn't too often though.

But the fat around my lower stomach isn't budging. I plan on starting in Coolmine gym soon since I'm a student at the school it's right beside.

Any advice on how I can get rid of that fat on my lower stomach?

Won't take weight loss supplements though

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I wasn't going to suggest you did.

Tummy fat is about diet, not sit-ups. Start by tracking every single thing you put in your mouth, solid or liquid, free or paid for. Then add them up (you can use a site like fitday.com) You'll find the problem is in your diet. As a general rule, replacing processed food and white carbs with protein and green veg will fix most of the problems with your diet. But you do need to keep an eye on portion sizes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Don't want to hijack the thread, but when you eat healthily, do sit ups work to 'tone up' an already slim stomach?

As regards diet- do you mean basically replacing white bread/rice with brown? Can you occasionally have a McDonalds/Chinese takeaway say, once or twice a month or is it a no-no?
    Do potatoes bloat your stomach?

Thanks, sorry for all the questions. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

Its a common myth that working one particular area will decrease the fat in that area but thats not really how it works.
    Try cut out snacks between meals - biscuits, crisps all that.
    Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Sugarlessfifi

I don't usually eat snacks like that, I usually eat snacks such as gherkins, soda bread, apples and sometimes the odd ice-cream or bar depending on whether or not I'm in the mood for chocolate.

That's the way it's been the past month or so anyway, I used to go to Burger King regularly with my boyfriend but that stopped since half way through May.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Sounding dense now, but what's the point of sit-ups and ab crunches and all that jazz??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

Caderyn wrote: »
    Sounding dense now, but what's the point of sit-ups and ab crunches and all that jazz??

I have been found out...
    Honestly Im not sure how it all really works. I think they will help to tone an area and build up the muscle a little. The fat will just sit on top of this muscle.
    When you work out your body starts burning fat. Where it burns the fat from is genetic (apparently). Not all people carry fat in the same areas (Apple n Pear analogy??).

I read that in general tennis players will have the same fat content in their arms as other athletes.

Quick search found this:
    http://www.flatstomachtips.com/stomach-exercise-myths.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 A Fit Body

Hi,
    Lower abs are always a problem for women, we tend to carry fat there and some are more prone than others, watching your diet particularly your fat intake will help.

basic Sit ups are for upper not lower abs, the following exercises will help
    • Toes to Swiss ball- Lying on the floor, hold a swiss ball over your chest, head & shoulders on the floor, pull belly button back to spine. Ensure back is flat do not allow back to arch. Straighten legs, bring toes to the swiss ball & lower to floor, only going as far as you can without arching the back
    • Plank - Easy version knees on floor, harder version on your toes. Elbows directly below you shouldes, pull belly button back to spine and hold this position, do not stick bum into the air or allow back to dis use a mirror to ensure your position is correct and back is flat
    • Roll backs - Sit on floor, legs hip distance apart, feet & Toes firmly on the floor,Pull belly button back to spine & maintain contraction, lower back to floor and hold position. Only go as far as you can while keeping feet fully on floor. reduce range of movement if toes start to lift or if you feel any discomfort in the lower back
    Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Sit ups wont burn fat alone - they are a bit of a pointless exercise, unless you have your bodyfat down to around 10%

Every day in the gym I see people doing hundreds of variations of situps for hours and think WTF ARE YOU DOING.. I did it myself for a long time and all i got was a sore back.

Why not spend that time running or lifting weights :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Sugarlessfifi

Cheers guize :) that's exactly the help I was hoping for ^^

No Problem
    Combining Cardio with the type of core exercises listed will get you what you want

If you go to fitness classes I find Spin very effective.. both from a fat burning point of view and working on core muscles as well as inner thigh which is a nice little bonus :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 omlette

Have always been curious - what are spinning classes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭qt9ukbg60ivjrn

you stand in one spot and spin around in a circle...

no, thats not true

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoor_cycling

You sit on a stationary bike cycling, you can adjust resistance

in a Spinning class there is lots of bikes and an instructor dictating the speed, effort, and other variables to the sound of unce unce unce

its very sweaty but you'll probably feel great afterwards

thats exactly what is it, Its a tough class, you will vary between doing sprints, hill climbs and Jogs on the bike. All done by changing yoour own resitance and following the instructor

Most classes are 45 minutes some places have 30 minute beginner classes.
    If you decide to try them give yourself three classes before you make your decision, they can be very tough and it takes a while to get used to the bike, finding the right resitance for you.

but there is no probably about it, once you get into it you WILL feel great after it, ring around the gyms in your area to see if anyone is doing them

http://www.afitbody.ie/spin.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Forget about the sit-ups, you will spend a lot of time doing them for little in return.

Just sort out your diet and do lots of intensive cardio and you will get results.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

So are sit ups pointless for toning up the stomach? The last couple of weeks I've started taking my fitness more serious. Generally I eat well, avoid processed foods etc. For a few weeks I was walking 3 miles. The last couple of days I've upped that up to a jog/ run. This is combined with some daily sit ups/ press ups and pilates once a week.

Ulitimately, I'd love to get a 6 pack, but I'd settle for a 1 pack :)

Any one that has any advice I'd really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

They are useful for strengthening your core muscles. There is evidence that without strong abs, you are more prone to back problems, for instance. They just won't give you a six pack, only a spot-on diet with plenty of cardio as well will do that.

For what it's worth, a squat with weight set at 80% of max works just as many core muscles as sit-ups, and burns a hell of a lot more cals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

omlette wrote: »
    Have always been curious - what are spinning classes?

Spinning is a great way of building up you fitness level, for weight loss, cross training, enhancing your performance... however it is not taught the same way everywhere... 'Indoor Cycling' is usually different... it's not all about being screamed at to the theme of a hard core techno rave and demanding you go harder...

real Spinning is all about finding your level and working to improve it with a (qualified) instructor who knows what they are doing... providing classes of various rides (from Endurance, Strength, Interval, Recovery and special classes that can provide Race Day formats or High Intensity Training)... and working with you to build you base and enhance it from there (a heart rate monitor will be of great benefit for this)...

check out this thread for some info from a previous question about Spinning and weight loss...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055442907

and check out Spinning.com for loads of material from handouts to video footage about the core moves
    http://www.spinning.com

enjoy, and remember you are in control so find your level and challenge yourself progressively :)

EileenG wrote: »

For what it's worth, a squat with weight set at 80% of max works just as many core muscles as sit-ups, and burns a hell of a lot more cals.

Was just about to say the same thing :eek:

Squatting should be in everybodys gym program - its the ultimate exercise :D

spinning is great if you have a good instructor - tis essentially HIIT - which is what you need to burn fat - IMO.

Personnally I fing the bikes hurt me arse - so i'd rather run -LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

ragg wrote: »
    spinning is great if you have a good instructor - tis essentially HIIT - which is what you need to burn fat - IMO.

Personnally I fing the bikes hurt me arse - so i'd rather run -LOL

Spinning is essentially endurance... where you build your aerobic base and return to to it regularly... you then build on strength and interval work... it can also be used for recovery... specific HIT Spinning can be an element for sure but best used in a periodised programme or training plan...

this quote from Joe Freil [author The Cyclist's Training Bible among others] put it well:
    "Elite riders generally treat high-intensity training as if it's a powerful drug. They use it carefully and in measured doses at pre-selected times. Recreational cyclists, on the other hand, almost always devour high intensity as though it's candy"

HIT can provide good results as part of an overall Spinning programme, not the only element. With HIT can push your fitness level (i.e. increasing your lactate threshold), which makes your other training more efficient, particularly endurance rides...

As for the sore arse... cycling shorts or a gel saddle can help...
    7902.jpg

also avoiding bouncing in the saddle (caused by either too high a cadence or low a resistance in certain moves)... also checking bike set-up will ensure you have a smooth ride...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 vanjogja

Have the same problem myself with belly fat. Googling around found this.
    http://www.iwantsixpackabs.com

The author shows impresive improvement in 16 weeks. Provide workout tips in video, and the good thing, it is free !
    Will try my self next week. Finger cross ...

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Yapamillias

1. You CANT activate portions of a muscle (lower abs, middle abs, upper abs). For a muscle to contract, all the muscle fibres will fire activate or none of it will....its the 'all or nothing theory'

2. Unless your body fat is under about 10% you wont even see your abs.

3. You CANT spot reduce fat, if you work your arms everyday you wont lose fat from there, it will only reduce the overall fat content in your body.

Basically, just find out your BMR (basal metabolic rate)...find out the number of calories you have vs the amount you take in and make sure that you are taking in less (about 200-250 calories) and the body will support the muscle in your body and stop feeding the fat, the fat will be burnt off and you will see your lower abs :)

Advertisement