Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is spinning good for weight loss?

Options
  • 17-12-2008 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

I've started spinning classes at my local jym and I was wondering if it is good for weight loss? How does it compare to running?

Comments

It comes down to what you enjoy. If you prefer spinning to running, you will get better results from spinning.

Running is harder on your joints then spinning is. Whether it is better than spinning is debatable in terms of intensity and the parameters involved in both. All things being equal, I'd say running is probably better for strictly calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

if it is a general spinning class you usually get a varied workout from endurance, strength, interval, recovery phases... if you are lucky enough to have specific classes (with a good instructor) try to get to an 'endurnace zone' class (mostly flats, in the saddle (with option of short breaks to a light jog ensuring heart rate doesn't elevate out of range) and working between 65% - 75%/80% maximum heart rate)... ref Endurance Energy Zone [pdf]

i'd suggest investing in a heart rate monitor and taking some time to calculate your resting and maximum heart rate...

also make sure your bike is set up correctly for you... the instructor should have spent some time with you correctly configuring the saddle (height, fore/aft position) and handlebars... if you are using a Star Trac bike here is some specific info on the Spinner(R) bike setup [pdf]

keep at it, stay hydrated and enjoy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Spinning is very high-intensity and yes, effective for fat-burning... but Christ, it kills ya! :o

It should be known that the intensity is up to the rider. If you are honest with yourself, you will benefit, if you are the sort of person (God knows why you would be spinning then) who likes to trick yourself or over-exaggerate to yourself about how much exercise you have done, then it's not for you as you can just put it on a softer setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

It should be known that the intensity is up to the rider.

spot on, the rider is 100% in control... an instructor is there to encourage and maintain an appropriate level of exertion for the participant...

it is unfortunate how lot of people get put off, e.g. they initially try it and end up being screamed at to go faster / turn up resistance... rather than being appropriately cued for active recovery and hydration breaks, also if necessary to pace themselves and return to the ride when they feel up to it (important for beginners)...

there is nothing worse than seeing someone who's plucked up the courage to go spinning for the first time give up because they were being pushed too hard and were not properly accommodated :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Thanks for the replies. I find the spinning great because it is a specific class and I have a good instructor. I would agree it is up to the individual. I usually push myself to the limit, increasing the resistance throughout the class.

I have lost a lot a weight before just by running at my local GAA pitch but I put it back on. I find the spinning class great now because it is at a certain time so encourages me to go. The instructor is always trying to encourage those who don't push themselves enough to go harder so he motivates me even more.

Advertisement