Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sims 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 yellowbelly16

filo87 wrote: »
    Is it a dual core processor?
    It runs on my 3 year old Sony laptop with a 1.66GHz (duo) processor so it probably would. Might slow down when you're on a community lot though.

Vista??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

You wanna know why this games rocks? No loading screens. I went back to play The Sims 2 just to appreciate how much (or little) had changed between the games, and the difference is incredible. It can take a full 5 minutes to get into a house with The Sims 2 on my (fairly powerful) laptop. The Sims 3 takes all of 45 seconds from the start menu to house for me.

I just read this game sold 1.4 million copies in it's first week, that's pretty impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Nettie

CAN'T WAIT!
    Finishing my exams tomorrow and I'm getting it then!
    If I'd gotten it earlier I'd have probably failed all my exams with lack of study.
    But I'll have it tomorrow!
    I'm getting it in HMV for €40...:)

Oh, I heard that you're not able to have custom meshes in this one?
    Is that true?

Nettie wrote: »
    Oh, I heard that you're not able to have custom meshes in this one?
    Is that true?
    At the moment, no, there are no custom meshes available. It looks like EA haven't made it as easy to make custom meshes like they did for The Sims 2, but the modding community is hard at work at figuring out how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭PCros

GothPunk wrote: »
    I just read this game sold 1.4 million copies in it's first week, that's pretty impressive.

Good start for one weeks worth. Wonder will it sell the 16 million the first Sims did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Sims 3 - Ebay €20 ... takes 3 weeks to arrive coming from India 'n all :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Ive been playing it since yesterday but keep restarting sometimes not by choice as this game does like to crash after an hour or so :mad:

Can i make my sims go and mug people

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Ive been playing it since yesterday but keep restarting sometimes not by choice as this game does like to crash after an hour or so :mad:

Can i make my sims go and mug people
    That's driving me mad. And worse still, I keep forgetting to save. This game desperately needs an autosave feature.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

humanji wrote: »
    That's driving me mad. And worse still, I keep forgetting to save. This game desperately needs an autosave feature.

the game makes a backup now and again, so it seems. go into My Documents>Electronic Arts>Sims 3>Saves

Look for a .backup file and delete the extension if you wish to continue your game from the point that file was modified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 E.L

filo87 wrote: »
    Is it a dual core processor?
    It runs on my 3 year old Sony laptop with a 1.66GHz (duo) processor so it probably would. Might slow down when you're on a community lot though.

sorry for butting in, i was so looking forward to getting this and ran my pc through the" CAN YOU RUN IT?" and this is what it said nedds 2.0GHz...i have 1.73GHz everything else ok
    will i chance it????:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭innocenteyesuk

Anywhere still have the collectors edition, would really love it but have been on holiday the last two weeks! Totally forgot it was coming out while I was away!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

E. L I'd say chance it, I ran the 'can you run it program' and it said I didn't have the correct spec to run it (vista 2ghz instead of 2.4) and it runs 100% perfect.

My only complaint is its just a bit too addictive :rolleyes:

Can someone please tell me how to pick up meals I've prepared to put it into inventory? I've failed 2 x opportunities by not being able to bring the meal with me!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

E. L I'd say chance it, I ran the 'can you run it program' and it said I didn't have the correct spec to run it (vista 2ghz instead of 2.4) and it runs 100% perfect.

My only complaint is its just a bit too addictive :rolleyes:

Can someone please tell me how to pick up meals I've prepared to put it into inventory? I've failed 2 x opportunities by not being able to bring the meal with me!:o
    I think it you make a meal and then click on it and choose "put away leftovers" you put it in the fridge. Then click on the fridge and select "open container" and you'll be able to trnsfer it to your inventory. I think.

CPU speed is a tough call these days. While they do say 2.4 GHz minimum this could refer to Pentium 4s which are extremely inefficient. Newer processors perform much better at lower clock speeds than the P4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

How realistic is this game? i.e. does your sim grow old and die of cancer?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Don't think it goes that morbid. Sims will die of old age. Not sure if they can still get sick and die (like in Sims 2 if you got a hamster!). Although they can die horrific deaths!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Can you have a drink problem or have affairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

You can have affairs. Not sure about drinking in this one, there was an expansion for 2 that added a 'bar' that you could purchase for your home. Enough of those drinks and you would be wetting yourself...I suppose that's a drinking problem in itself :pac:

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

Great game so far.... addictive!!

I dont like the time going slow though... really annoying.
    I love the whole "create a style" thing.
    It's kinda confusing when changing the active household though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

got this for the OH. She likes it although is struggling to see the point though. I'm assuming there are stories to play out when you merge with different households (never played the Sim myself). How exactly does it work. When you merge with a household is there a definite point where the story ends or after you complete some set of criteria?

• Advertisement

L31mr0d wrote: »
    got this for the OH. She likes it although is struggling to see the point though. I'm assuming there are stories to play out when you merge with different households (never played the Sim myself). How exactly does it work. When you merge with a household is there a definite point where the story ends or after you complete some set of criteria?
    There is no end to The Sims really. If you make a family and then they have kids and the parents die, then you just continue on with the kids. Or kill them all/forget about them and start a new family. There are no real set objectives in The Sims. I mean you have lifetime wants that you can fulfill for them (Like reach the top of a particular career or have a load of kids) and then there are 'wishes' which are little short term goals like buying a new TV or something like that. A new thing for The Sims 3 are 'opportunities', which present themselves somewhat randomly, usually via a phone call. The last one I did involved making cookies for a bake sale in the local school to make some extra cash. How cool is that? :/

Any objective you have is usually something you set for yourself with influences from the games wants/wishes system. The neighbourhood is immortal, everything just goes on forever. Whether the story 'ends' depends on what you set out to do yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

GothPunk wrote: »
    Any objective you have is usually something you set for yourself with influences from the games wants/wishes system. The neighbourhood is immortal, everything just goes on forever. Whether the story 'ends' depends on what you set out to do yourself.

What is the point of merging with a household though? The OH has moved in with some old rich widow and she thinks she needs to put her in contact with her dead husband, and then when she dies she'll leave her her millions.

I'm just wondering if the game is structured like this, like there are objectives to accomplish when you move in with different families.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if the game is structured like this, like there are objectives to accomplish when you move in with different families.
    Like I said, there are objectives, some small and some large, but whether or not you fulfill the conditions of the objective has no bearing on whether the story ends there. You'd just move on to another objective or move out and move in with a new family, or maybe create a new sim for them to move in with. Maybe in the case of moving in with the rich widow you might try to kill her off or find her some young stud, I don't know. I think the game is structured so that you can make up your own kind of story but the game peppers it with objectives to reward you or challenge you to try something different.

I'm not familiar with what your OH is doing though, I haven't moved in with a townie or an NPC yet in The Sims 3. Certainly sounds more interesting than what used to happen in The Sims 2, where you could move in with townies but the amount of money you received from the household merge was usually random.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

i found this great mod they redone the textures and skins for the sims its a hell of a lot better looking :D

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=343769 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Is it me or does this game stutter constantly?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

As far as I know if you take her husband's ashes to the science museum you might get the option to resurrect him and have him as a playable ghost. You can also get them to have ghost children. Lots of answers and ideas on Sims 3 webite forum. Also you can bring up the cheat window by pressing ctrl, shift and c at the same time. Then enter the words testingcheatsenabled True. You'll be able to top up their needs, by dragging the mouse over hunger for example. There'll also be more options when you click on your sims or mailbox. Might have to press shift and click on the sim at the same time.:)
    Here's some more, it makes it more fun and interesting in my opinion.

http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/the-sims-3/cheats-guides-faqs/g-20061106113750640058

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Think I will pick this game up tomorrow.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Has anyone got a link to the "Can I run it?" part of the Sims 3 website?

Can't find it. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

Just select The Sims 3 from the drop down menu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Got this and installed it last Sunday for my kids who have been playing it constantly, but something seems to have corrupted in their game some of the sim family members have become invisible, you can click on their icon and it will show you were they are supposed to be but its invisible, any idea on this or is it something that will be fixed in the next patch?

Thanks

Advertisement