Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Muse

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If the setlists are that bad they'll be even worse at festivals, and that's how I'll be seeing them in February :(

I'd give my left one for a bit of 'Dead Star'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Xavi6 wrote: »
    If the setlists are that bad they'll be even worse at festivals, and that's how I'll be seeing them in February :(

I'd give my left one for a bit of 'Dead Star'

They played that last year in Marlay :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

aphex™ wrote: »
    They played that last year in Marlay :confused:
    Xavi lives in Australia. I'm guessing he wasn't at the Marlay Park gig.

Anyway think people are overreacting slightly as to the rubbishness of the setlist. Obviously it could be a whole lot better but for me that still has the makings of a cracking gig. Really looking forward to it. Boo to the naysayers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Pighead wrote: »
    Anyway think people are overreacting slightly as to the rubbishness of the setlist. Obviously it could be a whole lot better but for me that still has the makings of a cracking gig. Really looking forward to it. Boo to the naysayers!

I suppose it could've been worse. Could've played Feeling Good :o

Spoilers for tonights show:
    MotP, Feeling Good and Unintended are back in. Cave is out. Back to an 18 song set.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭budgemook

Pighead wrote: »
    Xavi lives in Australia. I'm guessing he wasn't at the Marlay Park gig.

Yeah what's with all the negativity? Muse have never disappointed me yet and I don't think they are about to start/ They put so much effort in to their live shows and they tour more than any band I know of. The money we pay to see them goes into amazing light shows and effects which adds to the whole experience.

People are judging the setlist by how they think it will sound. Just because there are songs that people like not on there people say it's "unacceptable". Muse are a very intelligent band and they put a lot of thought into their shows. They plan their sets out so it's balanced so can we just wait until the gig and see how we feel after. I'm guessing we'll all be blown away unless we go there expecting the worst and worrying about what songs they're not going to play rather than being excited about what they are going to play.

My advice is go there with an open mind and allow yourself to be blown away which i'm sure 90% of us will be. It is Muse after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Regardless of which songs they play, i think 90 minutes is pretty brief, especially considering the ticket price. You can talk about light shows etc all you want, but Green Day (more "simple" than Muse, you'll doubtless tell me) played the O2 a couple of weeks ago, charged less for tickets, and did a 150 minute, 20-something song set.

For how much tickets are, I'd expect a longer show from Muse, as good as they are live.

Maybe extra songs would affect the overall balance and Muse wouldn't see it as good a show. They know more about it than me so I'm going to trust their judgement.

And by the way, Please don't use Greenday as an example. They suck balls. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

No support at this gig apparently...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭jenny2hat

IT'S TOMORROW :D:D
    After months of counting down :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Becky_Boo

Woo it's today...muse are always good live, so despite not being a huge fan of their new album I will still enjoy tonight. I've never experienced their lights show indoors, just outdoors twice so should be good to compare the two. I wasn't able to see the setlists posted by others because of the spoiler thing but I'm hoping it'll be half decent anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

A let down. Still really good though. I was probably expecting too much from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭MrSparkle

Great gig I thought, Map of the Problematique, Stockholm Syndrome, New Born and the new songs were actually really good live. That bit where Dom and Chris were doodling was class. Man with Harmonica and Knights of Cydonia was a great finish to the gig.

It was my first gig at the o2, it's a great venue, Prodigy are going to be amazing there. Arctic Monkeys should be cool aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I thought it was a good gig by them. New Born was as good as ever live. I found it to be a bit short IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Would agree that it felt a little short alright... but the faster/heavier stuff they played went down very well. Particularly impressed with Undisclosed Desires - great live track.

If it was up to me they wouldn't play 2 or more slower songs in a row (just the one would be fine, then back to the high-energy stuff please!)... but I guess they need a break too, every now and again :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Definite letdown

Sh*t setlist and not long enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

It was my 1st Muse gig. I really enjoyed it. They're technically superb.
    On the down side.
    1. No support
    2. 1 hour 40 mins including time off stage in between encores was a little short. It may not have been noticed if there was support, but 1.5 hours music for that price is a bit much imo.
    3. Maybe this is a good thing but the crowd interaction was poor (concentrate on the music). Bellamey came on stage, said hello Dublin, great to be back in Ireland, and that was it for the night. The drummer said a few words throughout, but that was it.

All things considered it was a really good gig.

The best part of the night for me was overhearing someone beside me saying to their friend "i cant wait for kings of cambodia" i sh1t you not!

Kings of Cambodia is a good one alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭jenny2hat

Muse were incredible!!!
    :D
    Lack of support did annoy me though. I wanted The Horrors :(

3. Maybe this is a good thing but the crowd interaction was poor (concentrate on the music). Bellamey came on stage, said hello Dublin, great to be back in Ireland, and that was it for the night. The drummer said a few words throughout, but that was it.
    This bugs me about Muse as well. It would add to the gig if they just had a bit of a chat with the crowd every now and again.

Ok, I know we didn't go to see live comedy or anything but they could do with saying a little more than "Hello Dublin" and "Seeya Dublin, you've been great, goodnight!"

Matt could've given us some fashion tips, for a start. I'm thinking I might try the pink trousers and silver shoes myself on casual friday in the office :)

• Advertisement

davenewt wrote: »
    This bugs me about Muse as well. It would add to the gig if they just had a bit of a chat with the crowd every now and again.:)

When they played Marlay, the Irish Independant 'review' (word used lightly due to incompetence in general of Irish reviewers) said their 'matey hello' at the start of the gig didn't really fit into the whole futuristic set of the stage design. So you can't please everybody, can you?

What are ye guys looking for? A comedy routine? Bill Bailey is in town pretty soon of you're looking for that. Matt's a serious guy who is there to play some tunes. Also people say he's a bit shy and modest. Sure, some bands like Greenday bring people on stage and stuff like that but Greenday are sh!t and I wouldn't like if Muse started doing stuff like that.

They pump money into elaborate stage shows which really work and do their best to blow the crowd away but some people aren't happy because he doesn't say "Wow you're great", "<Insert name here> is the best city we've ever played in" (puke).

What exactly do people want them to say on stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,493 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Don't they(mainly Matt), not interact much cos he's really shy? Thats what I read, he hates talking in front of big audiences, and he is only very comfortable expressing himself on that/those guitar(s) of his. Also, when talking on tv with the camera there, he tends to speed-talk, I can make out he's nervous about it. He pronounces his hometown as Tinmuff it appears cos he talking so fast.

budgemook wrote: »
    What are ye guys looking for? A comedy routine?
    I think people are used to crap, mouthy London bands coming over here and talking on stage to waste time and have seen it enough times to be deluded into thinking that's what makes a good show

What are ye guys looking for? A comedy routine?
    As I said above, no.
    ...some people aren't happy because he doesn't say "Wow you're great", "<Insert name here> is the best city we've ever played in" (puke).
    Uhm, that's about the only thing they did say - "Hello Dublin!" "You're great Dublin" "Seeya Dublin" etc. Yes, we know where we are, thanks guys. Oooh, they got the name of the venue right! Yeeeeaaaahhhh! :p

Maybe I'd be happier if they did more improv music or just extended the setlist. It did feel quite short but with a band like Muse, I know chatting probably isn't the thing people would want them to stick into their stage shows to make them a bit longer!

Or play Knights of Mongolia* twice or something... nobody would mind ;)

*running-joke alert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

aphex™ wrote: »
    I think people are used to crap, mouthy London bands coming over here and talking on stage to waste time and have seen it enough times to be deluded into thinking that's what makes a good show

Some bands like the Foo fighters can get the perfect mix between talking and music... Would LOVE to see them in Ireland soon.

• Advertisement

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Some bands like the Foo fighters can get the perfect mix between talking and music... Would LOVE to see them in Ireland soon.
    Foo Fighters? How have you been able to avoid seeing them in Ireland? Probably the band i've seen most in my life even though I never actually wanted to see them.

And as for Muse not doing enough improv, That's mad talk also. They do loads.

*shrug* maybe I was too busy jumping around like a mad yoke to notice :)

As I said above, no.
    Whoops, didn't read your post properly. I still think my point stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Foo Fighters? How have you been able to avoid seeing them in Ireland? Probably the band i've seen most in my life even though I never actually wanted to see them.

Only 18, lol, saw AC~DC last year and they were awesome, then oxygen, and now the prodigy in a couple of weeks.

had the coronas stuck in there in dolans a couple weeks or so ago...

All i want now is the foo's :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Uhm, that's about the only thing they did say - "Hello Dublin!" "You're great Dublin" "Seeya Dublin" etc. Yes, we know where we are, thanks guys. Oooh, they got the name of the venue right! Yeeeeaaaahhhh! :p

Count yourself lucky. When they played here in Perth in 2007, Matt said "Hello Adelaide" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

What? 3 gigs in the last 6 years? :confused:

All I can think of is Slane in 03 Oxegen in 05 and Marlay Park in 07. Thats hardly loads

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Count yourself lucky. When they played here in Perth in 2007, Matt said "Hello Adelaide" :pac:
    Maybe he thought they were playing loud enough to be *heard* in Adelaide, and didn't want them to feel left out :D

What? 3 gigs in the last 6 years? :confused:

All I can think of is Slane in 03 Oxegen in 05 and Marlay Park in 07. Thats hardly loads
    Trip to Tipp with prodigy and manic street preachers
    Slane
    Oxegen twice I thought and maybe witness?
    Marlay Park
    SFX
    They played the point in 2005 too though I wasn't there.

I still think I'm missing some.

I feel old now though I did start going to gigs when I was 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Slane, 2000
    Witnness, 2001
    Dublin Castle, 2002
    The Olympia, 2004
    Oxegen, 2004
    The Point, 2006
    Oxegen, 2007
    Marley Park, 2008
    The O2, 2009

Loads of chances to see Muse. I saw them in '02 and '04, haven't been really into them since, although their setup for the O2 gig was superb.

Muse just announced for Wembley and Lancashire County Cricket Club next September. Can see now that they may do Phoinex/Landsdowne around that time.

Excellent. I reckon they will have an orchestra with them for the summer stadium tour so we will get to hear the full version of Exogenesis live. Think I read something to that effect somewhere.

I wonder where they would put it in their set, I was thinking the end but they do seem to like to finish with Knights of Macedonia

Yeah can definitely see it being in there. I don't know which one to go to, LCCC or Wembley. Decide for me people.

Wembley.

Purely on the basis of London being better for a break of a day or two, and c'mon, it's Wembley Stadium

Driver 8 wrote: »
    Wembley.

Purely on the basis of London being better for a break of a day or two, and c'mon, it's Wembley Stadium

I was thinking that alright, think London as a whole does have a greater lure for me.

Also wonder what they'll so with the stage. Time has come for in-the-round Muse shows, full blown orchestra, and finally that spaceship they have NASA working on to bring them to where they seemingly are now.

I've decided. I'm going to Wembley. That's that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I think they should do Thomond Park, but im not hopeful. Croke or Slane 2010 (Day 2)??

I think Oxegen is also going to be a gig for them.

But yeah... WEMBLEY!

Anyone any ideas how fast this will sell out?

I'd imagine they'll play Oxegen. Struggling to think of who else will, apart from Arctic Monkeys probably (in terms of headliners)

miralize wrote: »
    I think they should do Thomond Park, but im not hopeful. Croke or Slane 2010 (Day 2)??

I think Oxegen is also going to be a gig for them.

But yeah... WEMBLEY!

Croker...won't sell out that many tickets. Which is similar size to Slane, so think that rules them out. I'd be shocked to see tehm play anywhere that big, unless it had 2/3 big support bands.
    Anyone any ideas how fast this will sell out?

Fairlyy quickly I'd say. Gonna rush into my tickets just incase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Slane, 2000
    Witnness, 2001
    Dublin Castle, 2002
    The Olympia, 2004
    Oxegen, 2004
    The Point, 2006
    Oxegen, 2007
    Marley Park, 2008
    The O2, 2009

Loads of chances to see Muse. I saw them in '02 and '04, haven't been really into them since, although their setup for the O2 gig was superb.

I meant Foo Fighters but I stand corrected on Muse :) Apologies for my ignorance! kinda reminds me of the Chili Peppers when they played here every summer for aaages. If only Pearl Jam played here as much :(

Did anyone get Wembley tickets this morning? Waiting on confirmation email. Hope hope.

Did anyone get Wembley tickets this morning? Waiting on confirmation email. Hope hope.

Yeah got 2:D And have the email confirmation. Check the junk mail section of your email thing, mine was in there. It comes under @seezz.com for some reason.

No it came in the end. Took a few hours. Can't wait now. You were right to get them. Listened to the Them Crooked Vultures album. Not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

wish i cud go to wembley. epic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Muse have just released a new single, written for (ugh) the new Twilight film.

Associations aside, I really like it. Very catchy.

Advertisement