Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Muse

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

6/10 No way. It's near enough a 10 from me. I absolutely love this album. The two songs I didn't like at first (Undisclosed Desires, I Belong To You) are better with each listen. I love what they've done with this album.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

There was one lyric when after hearing it I just went "wtf, did he actually just sing that!?!"
    You are my Muuuuuuuuusse!!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Garseys wrote: »
    NME have stopped bumming the band 6/10....
    Excellent, looks like someone's doing there job right.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Love the album so far. Even the songs i wasnt sure about are growing on me.
    Daysha wrote: »
    Unnatural Selection is as good as I expected it to be, Guiding Light is a lot better than I expected it to be too, it's like the song Invincible should have been.
    Invincible was the song Invincible should have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Amazing album

AWFUL lyrics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

After 24 hours of non stop listening I feckin love it!

'Resistance' has a bit of 'MOTP' piano/drum thing goin on which sounds brilliant. The whole flow of the song is spot on and it's pushing to be my favourite.

I had thought that 'Take A Bow' was a great gig/album opener but 'Uprising' definitely has the potential to better it a live setting.

'Unnatural Selection' and 'Undisclosed Desires' are completely different but equally special in their own way, and I'm surprised with 'MK Ultra'. Think it's a great tune.

The weakest songs for me are 'United States of Eurasia' and 'Exogenesis'. I like Muse for the epic riffs and they both just plod along too much for me. By no means bad songs, just a bit meh.

And if NME said it was poor then it must be good right?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,106 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Garseys wrote: »
    NME have stopped bumming the band 6/10....

Yeah, unfortunately reviewers will compare it to all other works, and as its different and not as accesible as the others, course would be ranked low. Give it time and it may be up to 8 or 9. Or maybe they just meant Exogenesis alone brings the album up 6 points, and still have to listen to the rest:D

Am really liking it though, definitely very different, but thats part of its charm. MK Ultra...better be played in November. Resistance is a great tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

Great album. Uprising and Unnatural Selection are my favourite tracks.

Undisclosed Desires and Exogenesis I are very close. I wasn't too crazy about USOE but I think it fits the album well. The whole thing is class, not sure how it rates compared to their older albums but it's certainly different and I really like it.

Have only listened 3-4 times but hopefully that opinion won't change too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Don't like it at all unfortunately, easily their worst offering so far IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Don't like it at all unfortunately, easily their worst offering so far IMO.

I'll respect your opinion.

Worst muse offering was blackholes, I think this is the album they were after in Mirival back in 05(Before they switched to NYC)

Blackholes was their weakest IMO,They took some really nice directions(SMBH, TaB, MotP and Knights) but theres too much filler, and tracks that made the album were strong in their demo forms(exo-politics and Assassin) and were piss poor album wise.

This album covers Muse's career, I'll admit it takes no new directions(apart from Exogenesis).
    Matts Vocals have improved, They've got the perfect balance of synths and guitars on the most part. Theres sparks of stuff from Origin.

This won't be my favourite muse album, but it comes very close.

btw, Lyrics are atrocious, but anyone who's a muse fan would have known that from showbiz onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

Now here is my problem with it. Ive listened straight through a couple of times. Some of the songs are ok. At the end of the day it has nothing in it that made me a fan of Muse in the first place. Muse to me is epic rock songs with amazing sounds that no-one has ever used before, such as the KAOSS pad built in to the guitar, the synth/overdrive riffs that Chris comes up with on bass, the complexity/simplicity crossover in Dom's drumming. I have heard every bit of this album somewhere before, in other songs/genre's, so to be frank, this album is unoriginal and stale to me

Any of the previous albums have contained a healthy balance between the softer and harder side of Muse. There is no Butterflies and Hurricanes to be found here, as much of a tribute to Rachmaninov as it was, it was still more epic of a supposed "symphony" than Exogenesis will ever be. "unnatural Selection" had the potential to be this albums "Hysteria" or "invincible", but the song is not well recorded in my opinion. It lacks the bite of their previous efforts. There is no real balls to the riff at the end, the guitar could have been massive, but it just isnt.

You dont go from recording guitars with two of the best engineers on the planet such as Costey and Leckie, and all of a sudden being able to do it yourself to the same standard. The project to me from start to finish seems pretentious and self indulgent. It is 100% missing the input of a world class producer. The song structures are not what they used to be and just seem a bit rambling.

Overall im very dissappointed. The album is not ****e or anything, Its just not what I have come to expect of the most innovative and progressive band that I have ever had the pleasure of seeing live..

rant over..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I see where you're getting at, but its not a terrible first self produced album. They probably see the Resistance as a learning experience in terms of self-production.

The album makes sense though, it is pretty well-crafted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yep its rather good. Makes me think why they released Uprising as the first single, its the weakest song on the album.

EDIT: Should also mention. Unnatural Selection and USOA are the best on the album IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Live show on BBC3 now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Live show on BBC3s now

They look like they're from a very exciting place. Jesus kids on skateboards in documentary, "we don't encourage it though".:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dougs09

hhmmm dunno what to make of this album, it def doesnt have any standout tracks that previous albums had, it grows a little on you though but not to the stage you got any tracks you find exciting.
    i belong to you reminds me to much of Madness, and i HATE madness

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Just giving it a listen now, on the first track which I love anyway, can't wait to here the rest!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

On my second listen now, was at first a touch disappointed, but its growing on me at bit, some great bits in there, and some not so great, some very poppy moments too. love the last three songs/pieces.

Must say it is a bit self-indulgent - but thats Muse for ya

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Live show on BBC3 now

This is on interactive on bbc, have been watching in places throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

Really really surprised by how much I've liked the new album, glad any thoughts I had about songs from the 30 second previews were unneeded and unwarranted.

Its the first time I've thought each song on a Muse album was completely solid from the first listen too, its a bit of a link to the past, bridge to the future to my ears so pretty happy all round.

Everytime I listen to Exogenesis it makes me fill with emotional joy so hate to think what I'll be like in November if they play it, probably a crumbled, bumbling heap on the floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Racket wrote: »
    Everytime I listen to Exogenesis it makes me fill with emotional joy so hate to think what I'll be like in November if they play it, probably a crumbled, bumbling heap on the floor.

I don't know if I'd even want them playing it in November. It would take 3 other songs off the set and it's not exactly the type of music I'd go to hear Muse play live.

Now if they decide to play Citizen Erased in the O2....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

USoE is NOT growing on me. Really cannot help but think QUEEN and HIGHLANDER when they shout "there can be only one!" *shudder*

How would Muse play Exogenesis in the o2? Would they not need some big old orchestra with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

They will play it at the stadium shows next summer. Not at the o2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Amazing album

AWFUL lyrics

Couldn't disagree more. Personally taking every song on an album into consideration this in my opinion is the strongest lyrically of any Muse album, once you get on board with the concept and theme of the album they have much more of a resonance. (I'm sure it doesn't hurt that George Orwells one of my favourite authors, though.)

As for the album in general, I was hugely dissapointed on my first listen of it, it was ok, but having waited so long for a new Muse album I felt it was a let down. That was after my first listen. I've listened to it another 9 or 10 times since that, to say it's grown on me is a huge understatement. Love it, it represents everything I love about Muse in that it isn't just taking the succsesful moments of previous albums and trying to remake them. They make the music they like to make and like to listen to and they do it better than anyone else out there right now. For instance Exogenisis is never going to appeal to a mass audience and it's not supposed to, it's supposed to be a beautiful piece of neo classical music, mission accomplished.

My only gripe with the album is that Matt doesn't utilise his lead guitar enough, I genuinly think he just doesn't realise how good he is in that regard and how much it adds to songs. But I guess it's just not that kind of album.

Favourite songs are probably Unnatural Selection, MK Ultra, Uprising, Exogenesis Redemption, Guiding Light..........ehh never mind, everything except I belong To You and Exogenesis Overture is tied first place right now. for me

aphex™ wrote: »
    They will play it at the stadium shows next summer. Not at the o2.
    Really? Where did you hear that? Sucks :/

Really? Where did you hear that? Sucks :/

AFAIK, they not having an orchestra with them. So when they unleash themselves upon stadiums next summer, full orchestra will be ready to give it the place it was supposed to be played in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Guys listen to Backspacer from Pearl Jam... Its a much better album out this month ;)
    :pac:

Guys listen to Backspacer from Pearl Jam... Its a much better album out this month ;)
    :pac:

Then listen to Alice in chains' When Black Gives Way to Blue for better. Or Porcupine Tree's The Incident:P

Finally have the cd, was delivered to my Wicklow house, so better than youtube!

• Advertisement

After more and more listens, I nominate Resistance to be opening track. Has cool intro that they couldwalk on stage to, then Matt starts with the piano, and also has a cool sing-a-long in it.

Advertisement