Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby's being ruined by protein and tanks

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 mother_rucker

The problem is mainly professionalism and its impact on the game, but then again the same is happening in GAA to a certain extent. Just look at how dominant Kilkenny are because of their superior fitness, though their skill doesn't hurt either. The same is happening in rugby.
    This ridiculous over-competitiveness is going to drive many people away from the sport as we can't all be the size of pierres spies, more's the pity.
    The game of rugby was far more attractive back in the day, now it's getting more similar to American Football every time i watch it.
    Everybody needs to take it easy and just play the game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭Goose81

The problem is mainly professionalism and its impact on the game, but then again the same is happening in GAA to a certain extent. Just look at how dominant Kilkenny are because of their superior fitness, though their skill doesn't hurt either. The same is happening in rugby.
    This ridiculous over-competitiveness is going to drive many people away from the sport as we can't all be the size of pierres spies, more's the pity.
    The game of rugby was far more attractive back in the day, now it's getting more similar to American Football every time i watch it.
    Everybody needs to take it easy and just play the game

If its any consolation I can see it leveling off.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The game of rugby was far more attractive back in the day

Back in what day / era exactly? The highlights of great tries from days gone by look great, but the rest of the game could be appalling stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

What I'd say is this - at schools levels, and lower reaches of the club game, people are using size as a compensation for no skill. Thus driving skillful players out of the game.

Good. Eventually the unskilled meatheads will be found out and the 'skillful' pansies who aren't tough enough to play the game and won't dedicate time to their physiques will be off playing football.

This is probably the most ridiculous thread I've ever read on this forum. Rugby is a tough contact sport and has been professional since 1995. If you want to play, you need to train hard. That includes weights.

You think rugby was 'more attractive' back in the olden days? That's really sweet. Welcome to 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

NickNolte wrote: »
    Good. Eventually the unskilled meatheads will be found out and the 'skillful' pansies who aren't tough enough to play the game and won't dedicate time to their physiques will be off playing football.

This is probably the most ridiculous thread I've ever read on this forum. Rugby is a tough contact sport and has been professional since 1995. If you want to play, you need to train hard. That includes weights.

You think rugby was 'more attractive' back in the olden days? That's really sweet. Welcome to 2009.

I didn't say that. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

100m sprint is ruined by protein and tanks. Sure all those sprinters are massive.

NickNolte wrote: »

are you one of those fat props?

Sangre wrote: »
    100m sprint is ruined by protein and tanks. Sure all those sprinters are massive.

yeah but they're all *whisper* black too so it's probably natural. And besides, the olympics are pretty much a who-can-swallow-the-most-drugs-and-still-pee-stragiht affair nowadays.
    The only sport uncorrupted is golf, and i have my doubts over whether golf constitutes a sport anyway. And Tiger Woods does serious work outs too... So I guess nowhere is safe

Advertisement