Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buzzard Observations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Connacht wrote: »
    some day ...
    I think the odd one has been seen in the general Foxford, Ballina, Killala area and in the general L Carra, Ballinrobe, L Mask area over the last year or two.

I think there was one seen in Cong in the not too distant past too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Saw only my second ever Irish buzzard the other day along the new Waterford motorway at Timolin / Moone in Co. Kildare. My previous one was on a tree in deep south Co. Wexford near Balwinstown.
    Have seen loads of them in France, but still await my first Mayo, or even Connacht bird.
    There is a good few in that area down as far as as the wexford exit on the motor way. Just past moone near castledermot there is a wood on the righthand side with a few in it. Then there is the ones around me and as you head on there is definately one that is often along the motorway the far side of castledermot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Had 3 over garden last Thursday. And even after decades of seeing them here, the sound of them never fails to make me look for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,652 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Have seen loads of them in France, but still await my first Mayo, or even Connacht bird.

Reports from Charlestown bypass last year plus a juvenile bird seen in forestry on the Erris penisula this autumn - would be interesting to know were the latter bird came from!!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭donal2000

Saw one fly over me on Saturday afternoon. Brilliant sight. I'm in North County Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭Bsal

Saw one today at Deer Park golf course in Howth spying on some Rabbits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Was out flying RC glider today, and 3 of them around it in the same thermal i had the glider in. Its a good sign of thermals around.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Was out flying RC glider today, and 3 of them around it in the same thermal i had the glider in. Its a good sign of thermals around.
    Do they react to the glider at all?

Mothman wrote: »
    Do they react to the glider at all?

They do seem curious of it, but other than that they just circle around with it. Its has a 6 foot 6 inch wingspan. Last summer i was flying up higher with an 8 foot 6 span one, and they were the same, just circled with it. That flight lasted almost an hour and they were with it about half of that.

Ah RC equals remote control :D

So there's not much size difference with the smaller glider.

This is like killing 2 birds with one stone...metaphorically speaking of course :D
    Bird watching and glider flying at the one time :)

• Advertisement

Ah RC equals remote control :D

So there's not much size difference with the smaller glider.

This is like killing 2 birds with one stone...metaphorically speaking of course :D
    Bird watching and glider flying at the one time :)

Yes radio control. They looked nearly as big as the smaller glider today. I had a live video link down from it to a tv. We can fly it from the live view but by the time i seen the buzzards i was descending to land it so i was outside looking up at it. Sometimes we have a video recording camera on it. That would be interesting if i was above the buzzards with it.

Radio control...really showing my ignorance :D
    robbie7730 wrote: »
    Sometimes we have a video recording camera on it. That would be interesting if i was above the buzzards with it.
    If you ever do get footage of Buzzards, there'd be plenty here that would like to see it :)

Radio control...really showing my ignorance :D

If you ever do get footage of Buzzards, there'd be plenty here that would like to see it :)

It would be interesting alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭Bsal

Alot of Buzzards on the go today in my area, around 11:30 this morning 4 of them soaring above the house for 15 minutes, then later on about 3:30 2 of them in the same spot making some great sounds :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's that time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

Counted 7 Buzzards today in West Dublin, all soaring close together. Great to see these birds that were almost wiped out making a strong comeback. Obviously spreading from their stronghold in the North to the rest of the country. Hopefully they will be a common sight in EVERY county in the country, not just midlands and East.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

saw five buzzards today very high, circling over N3 m50 Roundabout, have now seen them as far west as Galway, Had never seen one until two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

saw five buzzards today very high, circling over N3 m50 Roundabout, have now seen them as far west as Galway, Had never seen one until two years ago.

I saw one perched on the tall wooden fence wetsbound at the end of the M6 a few months ago. He was in the same spot when I was returning a few days later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭sables2

Would any of you guys know: would i possibly spot Buzzards soaring over N11 Cabinteely/Shankill, would it be too urban? It seems to me their mostly over M50 North bound and Meath/Kildare borders. Thanks PS: I know Rathdrum/Avoca Co. Wicklow is a haven for 'em too.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

i have never seen them down there guy, but of course it is possible, youngsters will be forced out when adults begin breeding. they seem to favour major road networks [possibly eating road kill rubbish etc]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭sables2

Thanks for that coolhandspan. Seems logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Not quite a buzzard, but seen a kestrel hovering alongside the M6 near Loughrea in Galway this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

sables2 wrote: »
    Would any of you guys know: would i possibly spot Buzzards soaring over N11 Cabinteely/Shankill, would it be too urban? It seems to me their mostly over M50 North bound and Meath/Kildare borders. Thanks PS: I know Rathdrum/Avoca Co. Wicklow is a haven for 'em too.
    yes the birds from Bray are regularly on the M50 as far as Cherrywood and beyond. I've seen them there many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

There are at least 2 buzzards between naul and ballyboughal near damastown,anytime i walk through the fields they follow me overhead,they seem to have their own area in which they fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

yes the birds from Bray are regularly on the M50 as far as Cherrywood and beyond. I've seen them there many times.

They were soaring around Fassaroe today, ignoring a big clay pigeon shooting competition going on down below:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Cassidy28 wrote: »
    There are at least 2 buzzards between naul and ballyboughal near damastown,anytime i walk through the fields they follow me overhead,they seem to have their own area in which they fly.
    I've seen up to 10 in the sky around there during last summer. Mind you with the view from there you are likely to see any that are over north county Dublin at the time.

They've been around there now at least 4 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Paulcoyne

there are at least 2 buzzards in the grounds of Charlevile castle in Tullamore co Offaly, it has taken a while to figure out what they are but they are seen regularly, and you can hear the more often than see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

2 Buzzards (1 huge)in Bray today,spotted them driving north bound on the N11 just after the Kilmac garage,they were in the grounds of the Woodlands Academy,got out with the 2 kids and watched them diving and messing around but no decent camera in tow as usual

can anyone recommend a decent camera around the €300 mark that would be good enough to post pics on here as i've a fair few buzzards less than a mile from my house in Kilcoole

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

they seem to favour major road networks [possibly eating road kill rubbish etc]
    Recently drove from Holyhead to Manchester and saw many buzzards hanging around the motorway. Don't notice it so much over here.

Most of the ones I regularly see here are not near any major roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Many birds of prey (especially Kestrels) frequent the margins of motorways as this densely planted roadsides are a great habitat for small mammals.

Advertisement