Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buzzard Observations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

bogtreader wrote: »
    Seen two buzzards today in a field feeding together
    Tried to sneak over to get closer look behind a hedge
    close to the road had me sussed in an instant
    Yea I've tried to get close a few times with no luck. Usually don't have time to even get the camera out. They're quiet shy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Full article with good pictures in Spring 2011 copy of wings here (pdf file)
    Published by BirdWatch Ireland
    The success of the Buzzard is a heartening respite from the frequent accounts of declining bird populations. Driven to extinction in Ireland by the early part of the 20th century, the Buzzard’s natural re-colonisation after a significant absence is testament to the adaptability of the species. The population recovery is continuing, with an expanding range and increasing numbers. However, the issues responsible for the Buzzard’s initial disappearance from Ireland have unfortunately not completely disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Over the last 48 hrs a Buzzard has been feeding on a rabbit in a field across from where i work.
    I first seen it yesterday about 9.30 the buzzard stayed for about half an hour.
    Left then but came back stayed between twenty minutes and half an hour.
    I went and had a look during my lunch break to see what the buzzard
    was feeding on.At that time there was still plenty of eating on it.
    When the buzzard left Magpies and hooded crows took their turn.
    The buzzard was back this morning feeding away again.
    I did expect a fox to carry it away over night.
    I take it a rabbit would be to heavy for a buzzard to carry away?

Seen one lift a hare off the road a few weeks back with no effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Scotty # wrote: »
    Seen one lift a hare off the road a few weeks back with no effort.

Do you know how old the carcass was?? - might have been there for a while and feed on by other scavangers, which would have lightened the load considerably in this case

• Advertisement

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Do you know how old the carcass was?? - might have been there for a while and feed on by other scavangers, which would have lightened the load considerably in this case
    It had been there from at least the day before but was still quite intact looking. Might have been driven over once or twice though...

I'm sure I've also seen photos of them with rabbits on top of fence posts and telegraph poles.

Buzzard cathces rabbit and flies off with it still kicking...

Scotty # wrote: »
    Buzzard cathces rabbit and flies off with it still kicking...

Buzzards main live prey would indeed be small mammals up to the seize of a rabbit - they also talk large numbers of rats, especcially at harvest time so they are very much the farmers friend:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

not sure about that being a buzzard!

trebor28 wrote: »
    not sure about that being a buzzard!

You could be right - on second viewing it looks more like a Goshawk:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That's a Buzzard.

I have often seen Bizzards take rabbits and fly off with them. They have brought whole rabbits to the nest visible from my house and others I have watched.

Why bogtreaders Buzzard did not take that rabbit is a mystery. I only hope it was not pinned down as bait!

Birdnuts wrote: »
    You could be right - on second viewing it looks more like a Goshawk:confused:

i was actually thinking a harrier of some sort. the tail seems quite long and straight like you would see with a harrier.

As far as i could see it wasnt pinned down i had a good look at it.
    When i went to investigate.
    The farmer who has a field with a crop growing About half a mile from
    where i work have birdscarer going all day.
    It is a high pitched mechanical scream to scare away the pigeons.
    It worked for the first few days now they are back with a vengance.
    At least 100 to 150 were back in the field munching away.
    Having Buzzards flying around is a lot better for keeping them away.
    They are around regularly.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 frostfrosty

trebor28 wrote: »
    i was actually thinking a harrier of some sort. the tail seems quite long and straight like you would see with a harrier.

Its definitely a Buzzard. Notice the distinct Buzzard markings under the wings at 0:17. :)

Its amazing the ease in which the Buzzard caught the rabbit and just flew off. They really are powerful birds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

icon_eek.gif Wow! I never try to watch films. (Vodafone 3G / Wireless? Pointless!) But, seeing as that one was so short? I went for it.

Wow! I had the volume switched off, so I never did hear what ever the filmer was exclaiming! Know what I'd have been saying! :D

Buzzard for me though. About 17 seconds; Get a load of those primary's! No Goshawk! And the carpals? They do away with Marsh, and Hen doesn't get a look in.

30 seconds? Distinction on under wing is gorgeous! Tell me it was filmed in the south east side of the New Forest, Hampshire and I'd be ready to wreck my head over Honey.

As it is though? I'm with the majority, I imagine? Common Buzzard. Uncommonly well caught, catching! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Its definitely a Buzzard. Notice the distinct Buzzard markings under the wings at 0:17. :)

Bingo! thgrinning-smiley-003.gif

Sorry, FF. I'd genuinely shot straight past ye post there, in my gob smacked excitement of having just watched the film so much :o

Dead right though. 17 seconds! Just get that absolutely text book look at the under wing though, don't we? Like; " Look, sukkas! It's all here! " :P

Great fun! Thanks for bringing us that one, Scotty thgrinning-smiley-003.gif

Ditch wrote: »
    ! Tell me it was filmed in the south east side of the New Forest, Hampshire and I'd be ready to wreck my head over Honey.

As it is though? I'm with the majority, I imagine? Common Buzzard. Uncommonly well caught, catching! :)

Tell me bout it - spent a week in the Dordogne back in 08' having my had wrecked trying to differentiate the 2:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Buzzard Survey details on the GET FB page.

Lots of empty space around Athlone, bah. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

For those of us who don't like facebook:

http://www.goldeneagle.ie/portal.php?z=129

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Well I would be one of them, just have a login out of necessity!
    Your country needs you! The Irish Raptor Study Group is carrying out a nationwide survey of buzzards during the pre-breeding season (26 Feb-19 Apr). At this time buzzards can be counted as they soar above their territories. We've selected 50 squares in RoI (see map) so if you are interested email allanmee AT goldeneagle DOT ie. Its simple, just a 1 hour watch from a vantage point. All u have to do is identify buzzards in flight:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Saw four buzzards today in the Liffey valley area soaring near a small wooded area next to the river. Great sight to see, hopefully they will thrive and spread all over the country, as they apparantly seem to be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Wailin wrote: »
    Saw four buzzards today in the Liffey valley area soaring near a small wooded area next to the river. Great sight to see, hopefully they will thrive and spread all over the country, as they apparantly seem to be doing.

in my little townsland of offaly. Seen one one day but i wasn sure. Too big for anything else but i didn think they were here. Amazing bird. I got it confirmed recently and and goin with the person to see them soon. Not sure am i allowed camera but wil post pics if i am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Got a pm there wondering am i doing more than watching buzzards because i wasn sure could i bring a camera. To clarify, its that reason im not sure can i bring a camera as iv never been out with someone who works in wildlife before, and that maybe this person wouldn like me posting pics because it would show locations etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Just spent the last 10 minutes looking at the one that is nesting in the grove of trees beside me, its grand to walk out the yard in the evening and hear them whistling.

homerhop wrote: »
    Just spent the last 10 minutes looking at the one that is nesting in the grove of trees beside me, its grand to walk out the yard in the evening and hear them whistling.

photos please!!!!

homerhop wrote: »
    , its grand to walk out the yard in the evening and hear them whistling.

Yep - the novelty value of having Buzzards around the place certainly hasn't worn off for me:)

I see them quite regularly and it is always a thrill.
    Now that we are approaching the summer there is nothing like hearing
    the high pitched cry up in the sky.
    And trying to find them they move so fast

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Saw only my second ever Irish buzzard the other day along the new Waterford motorway at Timolin / Moone in Co. Kildare. My previous one was on a tree in deep south Co. Wexford near Balwinstown.
    Have seen loads of them in France, but still await my first Mayo, or even Connacht bird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Connacht wrote: »
    Saw only my second ever Irish buzzard the other day along the new Waterford motorway at Timolin / Moone in Co. Kildare. My previous one was on a tree in deep south Co. Wexford near Balwinstown.
    Have seen loads of them in France, but still await my first Mayo, or even Connacht bird.

Aw Connacht for a second there I thought you were going to say you saw one in Mayo :( One of these days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

some day ...
    I think the odd one has been seen in the general Foxford, Ballina, Killala area and in the general L Carra, Ballinrobe, L Mask area over the last year or two.

Advertisement