Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting Feral cats!!!

Options
  • 01-06-2009 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

This is a thread on boards.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055577698

Can you believe the mentality of these people shooting cats. Feral or not wheres the sport in shooting them or any animal. Especially when there controlled through trap and neuter programmes. One of the few threads that left me disgusted.

Oh I didn't report thread because I don't know if its illegal to shoot cats.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

That is disgusting! I came across a few references to feral cat shooting and apparently because they are feral apparently they can be classed as vermin and therefore target away.

I didn't come across anything concrete that it is legal but from the several refernces I assume it is.

That really does drive me crazy you have people volunteering their time to go and catch and neuter these cats let alone try to save the abandones ones and these eejits are killing them for sport. Ugh! this country is really beginning to disgust me with it's backwardness!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

I don't think it is. And you're preaching to the converted by posting it here..... Tbh, I think that thread was better left in the forum it came from. I sure as hell wish I hadn't read it. It's a totally different mentality there when it comes to hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

This has been discussed before on Feedback and that thread was never removed - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055541153

So I doubt it's agaianst any rule.

Also it's not inhumane if it's needed to protect your own animals. Alot of ferral cats carry disease and parasites.

Though the discussion in that thread is obviously retarded and cruel, maybe it's small penis syndrome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

This is a thread on boards.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055577698

Can you believe the mentality of these people shooting cats. Feral or not wheres the sport in shooting them or any animal. Especially when there controlled through trap and neuter programmes. One of the few threads that left me disgusted.

Oh I didn't report thread because I don't know if its illegal to shoot cats.

As i replied in that thread , a friend went to a lot of trouble dog and fox proofing his garden , made sure his little one would look after a rabbit , then got her one , only to have it shredded by a cat a few days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Legal or not if this was about dogs people would be in an uproar, cats should not be allowed to wander and this is a good reason to keep a cat indoors and safe and wildlife safe from cats.

I am pretty disgusted at that thread and that it's been allowed to stay on the board shame on the mods!

Think I will leave this board for a while not impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

NOT saying it's right.

What do you propose should be done to get rid of them/control their numbers, hen they get to be a problem.

They breed continuosly, and inbreed which causes health issues. Then there's the cat aids and other viruses that make them sick. Also there is the damage they do to the wild bird population and domestic livestock - rabbits, guineapigs,hens chickens, ducks and young geese. Even gold fish from ponds.

I know someone that never lost any to poultry to foxes but cats were taking all her good young birds every day in daylight, un-spotted. After spending 4 months breeding hatching and rearing them it cost a lot to lose so many.

If it was a roaming or feral dog it would be shot and the law grants that.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

I think what annoys me the most about this is it is something which can be stopped with a little bit of forward thinking.

Alot of the problems with feral cats in the country side will originally have stemmed from farms. The farmers (I know this first hand) try to solve the problem by drowning/dumping kitten litters.
    Nothing is being done to prevent this from happening again.
    The amount of feral cats on farms is epidemic hence leading to the killing of chickens and other damage BUT the easy way to solve this would be to neuter the cats on the farms.

If some scheme could be set up (as most farmers certainly ones I know (not meaning to sterotype everyone so sorry if it comes across that way) would not neuter the cats on their farm) where farm cats can be neutered wouldn't it solve alot of the problems?

At the very least it would stop the need for hunting feral cats and help to stop the evergrowing cat population in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

I agree totally jen, but it's never gonna happen is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The shooting forum can talk about what they like within the boundaries of their charter.

If you don't want your cat to be shot, keep it indoors or in a secure outdoor enclosure.

I've contributed to the thread on the shooting forum - you have to understand that cross-forum cultures on boards.ie will often clash. The shooting and hunting forums will always, always clash with the animals & pets forum, no matter if we're discussing something cute and furry or not.

There are people on this forum who would prolong the life of any creature on principle, whether or not it was actually to the benefit of that creature - and there are people on the hunting and shooting forum who display no empathy for any other living thing.

Bringing a discussion from shooting on to animals and pets is pointless - and getting offended over it on this forum is also pointless. It's like sitting on the Christianity forum and being offended by something on the Atheism forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

The shooting forum can talk about what they like within the boundaries of their charter and the law.

Is it legal to shoot feral cats?

There are people on this forum who would prolong the life of any creature on principle, whether or not it was actually to the benefit of that creature
    Provide an example lease.

I have seen nothing but euthanasia offered as advice if your pet is suffering

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes it is legal to shoot cats - feral cats are a problem.

I would not & hate cats being shot - but in some areas its tolerated.

TNR schemes are good but there is not enough money to TNR all the feral cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Yes it is legal to shoot cats - feral cats are a problem.

I would not & hate cats being shot - but in some areas its tolerated.

TNR schemes are good but there is not enough money to TNR all the feral cats.

Where is it tolerated?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Just going to clarify something here and some of you wont like it.

Firstly the thread that some of you linked in feedback to was a pi$$ take because the OP in it spammed the whole site with one post.It was moved to feedback and he was wound up something terrible.

Now as for the feral cat issue.Feral cats are classed as vermin in rural areas.Vermin are allowed to be culled.We allow discussion of this here mainly because a while back there was a whole "us and them" thing with the hunting forum.
    In the past we were the fluffy bunny lovers and they were the "if it moves shoot it" brigade so in order to cause peace we allow the discussion of vermin removal and allow the hunters to have their say.

As I said before if people dont want to read about "vermin removal" or anything to do with hunting then dont read the thread or the forum.It is actually that simple.Just dont reply on the thread with the usual anti-hunting remarks and we`ll all get on fine.

Theres a post in one of those threads that sums it up for me
    people that do not live and work in the country side will never see a fox kill a lamb ,a grey crow pick the eyes out of a live sheep thats gone on its back .
    or a magpie kill a black bird chick by standing on it and pulling the guts out of it .

they take from the country side ,what they think it should be like.
    full of furry lovely creatures that meet under the big oak tree for chats.........

Thats all true^^^^
    Nature can be a cruel thing and Im totally in agreement with farmers killing vermin to protect their lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Dont agree with it but they spread disease and can be a nuisaance .A man died not so long ago when his throat closed up caused by a disease from cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭PCros

Morganna wrote: »
    Dont agree with it but they spread disease and can be a nuisaance .A man died not so long ago when his throat closed up caused by a disease from cats.

As do dogs spread diseases like toxocariasis, so why don't they start shooting dogs too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Toxoplasmosis? A very serious disease spread by cats which can cause blindness.

As someone who can't let his kids into their own garden due to the amount of cat **** that's out there, I absolutely agree with it. I wish I could do it myself.

It also surprises me that people think they should only be shot if it's confirmed they're feral. If they can **** all over my garden, then the owner is not in control of the animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭saviourgirl

Hmmm stop letting your kids play in sh'it could be a start.

All you need is Get Off cat mint gel, it works no need to shoot them.

Hmmm stop letting your kids play in sh'it could be a start.

All you need is Get Off cat mint gel, it works no need to shoot them.

Well there's a useless, pointless comment.
    The cats should have the run of my garden and my kids should stay inside, is that it? Is that your solution? They don't play in ****, they play in their garden which other people's cats **** all over.

I mean they can't go out into the garden now because there is cat **** all over the place. I do clean it up but of course I'll miss the odd one. (Why should I have to clean up the **** of someone elses cat in my garden?)
    One of them took a **** on the bonnet of my neighbour's car last week. They even **** on the roof of my extension!

And you think I haven't tried all the chemicals around? They're fine if you want to stop cats ****ing in a small flower bed but a whole garden? Re-apply the stuff to the entire garden every time it rains? Or every week even if it doesn't rain.

I've tried the chemicals, the water bottles, the sonic repellants and just about everything else.

Sleipnir wrote: »
    And you think I haven't tried all the chemicals around? They're fine if you want to stop cats ****ing in a small flower bed but a whole garden? Re-apply the stuff to the entire garden every time it rains? Or every week even if it doesn't rain.

Oh god once a week?

You should not have to reapply the whole garden, pick the spot its shi'ting in and it will learn to avoid that particular area after that he will move on to another part of the garden so do the same there, its all about stages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tom123456

MAJD's and Hellrazer i totally agree with you. :)

cat's are a nuisance and a pest. if people want to keep them they should be kept in large runs with roof's, not allowed wander all over the place. that poor man who's got them s******* all over his place must be distraught.

If the problem was rats, it would be ok to poison them.

How many people would say that's cruel if they were overrun with them.

• Advertisement

Oh god once a week?

You should not have to reapply the whole garden, pick the spot its shi'ting in and it will learn to avoid that particular area after that he will move on to another part of the garden so do the same there, its all about stages.

My point is they don't have any particular spots, they do it anywhere and everywhere. In the beds, on the lawn, concrete side entrance; everywhere. Should I apply it to the roof of my house too? My neighbour's bonnet?

It's not an "it" it's a "they". There are loads of them because their owners don't neuter them. They breed and the owners don't care so what am I supposed to do? Just let them continue?

You're talking to me like I'm an amateur at this. I know about "get off" and all the other ones. They can work, but only temporarily and only in a small area.

Tell me how uncontrolled, breeding animals owned by others, which cause such a nuisance can be called anything other than a pest (not pet)?

PCros wrote: »
    As do dogs spread diseases like toxocariasis, so why don't they start shooting dogs too?
    Dogs are not vermin animals. You should maybe read the wildlife acts when you have some spare time.

Yes cats who roam (dogs too) and breed can be pests to a certain extent but you dont have to shoot them is what I'm trying to say!

If you know the owners of the cats then you should speak to them?

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Dogs are not vermin animals. You should maybe read the wildlife acts when you have some spare time.

Where did I say vermin? Thats a disease that dogs carry around, look it up.

Yes cats who roam (dogs too) and breed can be pests to a certain extent but you dont have to shoot them is what I'm trying to say!

If you know the owners of the cats then you should speak to them?

I have, and was told that cats are "free-roamers" and it's in their nature and that they considered neutering a form of animal abuse. I even offered to pay for the procedure myself. They refused to do anthing about it. So what can I do? Nothing!

Dogs do not roam to the same extent as cats. How many dog owners compared to cat owner allow their dogs to roam free at night? Dogs can't climb walls either.
    I don't have a problem with dog **** in my garden, I do have a problem with cat ****. (By that I don't mean "I don't mind dog **** in my garden, I mean it doesn't happen)

Where did I say vermin? Thats a disease that dogs carry around, look it up.
    Don't be smart now or you can cool your heels for a while. Last warning.

Dogs carry diseases, humans do too but we don't kill them. Cats and rats etc etc are vermin and can be shot if being a pest/nuisance.
    And I do know what that disease is.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Dogs who stray onto farms and worry livestock are quite often shot.

Feral cats are one of the most damaging predators we have.

They breed all year round, hunt night and day and can easily climb trees for nesting birds. Compare them to a fox who breed once a year, are crepsucular and are not known for climbing.

So when involved in conservation work I know which I am more worried about.

The sad thing is they'd never be shot if people practised good pet management.

I have personally never shot one, nor would I enjoy the experience (what's to enjoy about ending the life of an animal who was mistreated and left go wild, just because his instinct to hunt is against my goals of raising and releasing ground nesting birds. There's nothing to enjoy there) but if there was one causing me a problem I would shoot it.

Oh and just to add 2 things,

There is no legal classification of "vermin" although it is a widely used term. The correct terms are protected and unprotected.

The second thing is if hunting offends you then I'd advise avoiding the hunting forum as its primarily what is discussed there. Differing opinions are more than welcome and I as a Mod will stand up for you if you wish to air them, but do not get personal with the regulars as that is against the charter

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Some people really are sickening. :(

EDIT: Vegeta - we posted at the same time, I didn't mean you! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Some people really are sickening. :(

EDIT: Vegeta - we posted at the same time, I didn't mean you! :D

No problem Helena.

Even if it was aimed at me I have grown a thick skin over time. :o

But even I don't like some of the comments made on that thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement