Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Blues - Irish Version of Police Stop, Sun 31/05/09, 2030, RTE1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

1huge1 wrote: »
    I didn't understand why when your man was coming to the Northern Ireland border as if the place was a safe haven for criminals saying he would of got away from them.

Ok I'm sure northern ireland is outside their jurisdiction but surely they have links with the PSNI like, would be one of the numbers i'd have on speed dial if I was a policeman here.

After he was caught, the radio traffic has the girl saying something like "will I cancel the PSNI?" and the response being "yeah, he's not going anywhere soon" or something similar. I take it from that that they'd informed them...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

murphaph wrote: »
    thanks but I meant that I can't watch it on RTE iplayer. It's blocked:

I believe it' possible to use a proxy but I don't know how. I'll just watch it next time I'm home.

PM Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

1huge1 wrote: »
    I didn't understand why when your man was coming to the Northern Ireland border as if the place was a safe haven for criminals saying he would of got away from them.

Ok I'm sure northern ireland is outside their jurisdiction but surely they have links with the PSNI like, would be one of the numbers i'd have on speed dial if I was a policeman here.

When TETRA (digital radio) is rolled out across the force, it will provide limited access to the PSNI. I think the procedure at the moment is that they radio the garda station who ring the PSNI station who then organise the PSNI response.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Ah I see, thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Just watched it there (thanks to Terrontress ;-) ). It was pretty informative but to echo others-disgraceful to see a 17 yo unaccompanied learner driver with a clearly unroadworthy car driving with no L plates be allowed to just go home. A few short miles over the border in Northern Ireland and he'd be using shank's mare to get home and his piece of junk would likely be crushed.

The rest of it was ok but I highly doubt a UK police car would follow a driver wrong side sown a dual carriageway at any speed. That chase would have been abandoned in the UK as it was just too dangerous to other road users.

Being so close to NI surely does put extra pressure on the guards there though. All in all, a good programme and looking forward to more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

I thought it was a very timid affair. I can't see any other TV station buying it... Way too dull for a UK audience. As a Solicitor in London, have the following observations. Couple of things, you would NOT get away with in the UK:

1) The 17 year old guy without licence/ accompanying driver/L-plates, no God knows what.. Would have been brought to the nearest station. He would have been charged or cautioned. The car would have been seized as unroadworthy.

2) The Garda in Dundalk didn't even caution the drink driver before putting him in handcuffs. As a result, the arrest is unlawful.

3) The SUV driver would have been charged with careless or inconsiderate driving. 2 penalty points is absolutely laughable.

4) In my opinion, a public information campaign should be launched to explain to Irish drivers that when the siren or lights go on, pull over to the left! It is an offence not to in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

NFD100 wrote: »
    I can't see any other TV station buying it...

They'd buy the chase scenes though. Road Wars are always doing it ,mainly US chases.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

NFD100 wrote: »
    4) In my opinion, a public information campaign should be launched to explain to Irish drivers that when the siren or lights go on, pull over to the left! It is an offence not to in the UK.

iirc from the Emergency Services forum there is no obligation to move out of the way here at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I noticed that policing seemed to still be done in MPH in Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NedNew

ardmacha wrote: »
    I noticed that policing seemed to still be done in MPH in Donegal.

Yeah I noticed that too - it's quaint and unprofessional sounding, in contrast to all the other gardai in the episode.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

maybe one of the gardai on here can comment on this.
    at the start of the show, around 2.30 there is the line -
    "i tell ya lads, theres a huge problem here with the usual rubber neckers we need to get them moved on"

when the two in the jeep get to the scene we find that the fire brigade have blocked the lanes so no one can move.
    the commentator then praises a "quick thinking lorry driver" for blocking the lanes as soon as he saw the accident to prvent further crashes.

im interested to know if that line was over dubbed afterwards, if the garda who was on scene making that transmission was a bit simple, or if its the disdain the gardai have for the genreal public, assuming that if there is a tailback at an accident its becuase a load of eejits are rubbernecking.

i know people go on about it, but even if there was a gap to allow them to drive along the hard shoulder (which there wasnt) would you prefer them to drive at 120kmph or slow down and pass safely (otherwise known as rubbernecking)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

They may have been talking about the opposite side, something that regulalry happens when there's an accident on he M50, people going the other direction slow down for a gawk.

But what struck me more was that the garda traffic corps had to get to the scene from Dublin Castle. I know they're based there but surely they'd be more effective out on patrol. Then again they could have just been starting their shift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Jip wrote: »
    They may have been talking about the opposite side, something that regulalry happens when there's an accident on he M50, people going the other direction slow down for a gawk.

i thought that myself, but if they were being called in to keep the opposite side moving, why did they approach on this side, stop and, apparently, do nothing else?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

subway wrote: »
    i thought that myself, but if they were being called in to keep the opposite side moving, why did they approach on this side, stop and, apparently, do nothing else?
    Cos they haven't got the first idea what they're at?

I watch a show here called "Achtung! Kontrolle" which is a police traffic corps following show. It's a world apart from the stuff we saw on RTE. On last night's episode a foreign curtain-sider lorry was pulled over and the cops weren't happy with the way the load was internally secured (to me as a layman it looked quite well strapped down tbh) and told the driver he'd have to call his boss and get someone to come out with more strapping etc. and that he wasn't to move the truck until this was done. The driver's boss said "it'll take 2 days to get someone there". The cops said to the driver "ok, you will have to sleep in the cab for a couple of days". They simply were not going to let the lorry back onto the Autobahn. They fine people here for cycling on the footpath ffs and for having defective lights on your bicycle! I know they have more resources here but it' more than that-they take their job that bit more seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Jip wrote: »
    I know that if I'm travelling on a motorway (or any other road for that matter) and I see emergency services strobe lights ahead in the distance, I'll be slowing down and preparing to stop.
    If it transpires as I get closer to the scene that all the 'action' is on the other side of the barriers, I'll accelerate back to cruising speed and resume my journey.

I don't think the above is an unreasonable approach to take to such a scenario, but on heavily trafficked roads like the M50, it's probably going to lead to a 'concertina effect' of some sort on traffic flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Couple of observations on tonight show (just finished)

- Blatently blocked drains (full of growing weeds) - no wonder the M50 was flooded
    - Those people should have got the court summons for walking across the M50, disgraceful that it was dropped
    - I could be wrong on this, but I thought the rule was that if you break down on a motorway, do NOT remain with your vehicle???
    - They should have hopped over the barrier onto the nice safe grass verge
    - Bike had no insurance and a driver that probably knew what he was doing, being in the country with an out of date czech insurance cert and he was let go. He said his insurance had been posted to the Czech republic, I dont buy that
    - They were watching the driver do 120kh on an S2 road being a complete dick for ages (obscene overtaking) but they didnt pull him over for ages. He was arrested but IMO for the wrong reasons (they seemed to arrest him because he couldnt prove he lived in the republic?)
    - I felt the guard who was talking to the 'light headed' driver wasnt good. That woman should have been stopped from driving, not asked 'do you think you're ok to keep going?'

Though I will congratulate the system on giving that moron with the slashhook in his car and being totally drunk an 8 month prison sentence but a FIFTEEN YEAR driving ban

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭fortuneteller

Just sat through the traffic blues programme.Enjoyed it as it was well put together but two things surprised me.In the 1st clip of the girls trying to cross the motorway one of the gardai is grossly obease,and on the interview appears to be wearing a gold earing in his right ear? Am i seeing things or what,Also the garda that stopped the drunk driver in the red nissan in louth is also grossly over weight and looks only about 35.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

There must be a thread about this in every forum with different takes on it.

Here's one in this forum, 3 posts down.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055578653

You're probably better off in one of those threads :)

I hope this is a thread merge or someone has completely lost the plot :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I hope this is a thread merge or someone has completely lost the plot :D
    Yup. Dam mods. This place would be better off without them! ;)

• Advertisement

What did people think of tonights episode?? Much better I thought, I didnt scream at the television for overly-lax inforcement.

I did have to laugh though at the truck driver.

Guard: "ok we've pulled you over go back to the weighbridge and get weighed"
    Lorry Driver: "Nope, I'm on my break"
    Guard: "fine we'll wait"

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The guy stopped in the Carina that was impounded was probably kicking himself after watching last weeks show, He should have gotten himself a set of Czech plates and an accent like the guy on the motorbike.He'd have been sent on his way.

Whats the story with the woman with the 5 kids in the back?Is it common practice to send these people on their way? I would have thought seeing as its a fairly significant safety issue she shouldnt be allowed continue?

Points and a fine wont stop the kids being killed in a crash half a mile up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭patrickc

yeh letting the car with the kids go was a disgrace an real danger to 6 lives in that car, and the bus could of had a blow out just up the road like

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

It's true that hardly any adults wear seatbelts (where provided) on buses. I've certainly been guilty of this in the past but will start wearing them on buses from now on.

And the Garda who remarked that the bus would only be going 80kmh on the motorway - bless his innocence!

Just watched Sundays episode (good ole RTE Player :D ). Shocking lack of enforcement again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

The bird getting pulled for being on the mobile and then the cop sees her L plates in her handbag!!:rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Furet wrote: »
    IAs for that scut in Donegal...

The first thing that struck me in that part of the programme was where the hell is there a dc in Donegal? After a few mins of checking I see its on the Leterkenny-Derry rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Bards

Yep, the bit where they go on about how dangerous it is driving while holding a mobile phone really got me. I have seen the cops negotiating a roundabout while holding a mobile in a squad car with three other cops

What's Good for Goose should be good enough for the Gander:mad:

Anyone else spot:

1) The driver in the bus lane pulling out in the background
    2) The sign near Donegal with the top missing off it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Missed it last night but will watch it on the RTE website this evening hopefully.

Advertisement