Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Blues - Irish Version of Police Stop, Sun 31/05/09, 2030, RTE1

Options
  • 29-05-2009 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭

As we know, Irish police generally dont get much respect on Boards. I've long said that they could be thought of a little better if they did an Irish version of Police Stop or other such follow-the-policeman-around show.

They finally did, and they have a six part series starting at 830pm on RTE1, Sun 31/5/09. Traffic Blues its called.

Heres the blurb from TV3s site (as RTE website only does a TV guide for today and tomorrow, idiots)

A new six part fly-on-the-wall series which looks into the work of the Garda Traffic Corps and finds just how dangerous and badly behaved we really are on our roads.

(New Series, Subtitles, Part 1 of 6)

I'll definately be watching as it will be very interesting (and I'm sure will be a hilarious laugh on here picking holes in the Gardas driving :D )

Just a heads up for people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Strangely this is the first home-produced programme from the national broadcaster that i've looked forward to in ages!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

as RTE website only does a TV guide for today and tomorrow, idiots
    wonder would that have something to do with their weekly glossy publication?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

As we know, Irish police generally dont get much respect on Boards. I've long said that they could be thought of a little better if they did an Irish version of Police Stop or other such follow-the-policeman-around show.

They finally did, and they have a six part series starting at 830pm on RTE1, Sun 31/5/09. Traffic Blues its called.

Heres the blurb from TV3s site (as RTE website only does a TV guide for today and tomorrow, idiots)

I'll definately be watching as it will be very interesting (and I'm sure will be a hilarious laugh on here picking holes in the Gardas driving :D )

Ya we followed one in Cork today, straddling two lanes all the way from Voctoria Cross to Denneys Cross....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Gruffalo

Perhaps you could show them respect and stop referring to them as "Police". It would be respect for your own culture too.

As for the show, while I hate these kind of shows, but seeing as they are very popular around the world, it is strange that it has taken this long to produce such a show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Deadly. Cant wait to see this.

Id say it will be funny. Mainly just because we will know the roads and everything.
    Hopefully it will show people that cops dont go around picking their hole.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

One of the programs will be all about the 2 fat cnuts who spend their working lives in a hedge west of the Quality Hotel in Oranmore and who clock up more 65mph in a 60 summonses than any other peelers in the country .

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Gruffalo wrote: »
    Perhaps you could show them respect and stop referring to them as "Police". It would be respect for your own culture too.

As for the show, while I hate these kind of shows, but seeing as they are very popular around the world, it is strange that it has taken this long to produce such a show.

They are called Gardai but they are also our police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I wasn't blown away by it at all. They left that lunatic businessman in the SUV on the M1 off far too lightly. As for that scut in Donegal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I kinda hope this program will make people wake up and realise what a sham the traffic corps here are. I made a few notes, purely out of nerdishness.

- I saw cars merrily driving in a bus lane
    - One person BLATENTLY hogging the overtaking lane of a D3M with no other traffic in sight
    - The unaccompanied provisional licence driver was a disgrace. Its illegal but the guards ignored it. He also had no L plates, a car belching steam and a wing mirror missing. One of the guards said that his car was not fit to be driven but to take it home straight away. In the UK the car would have been seized and the driver would walk
    - One guard referred to a driver drifting due to tiredness (and hence reported for drunk driving by a gracious member of the public) as 'its nothing'
    - Another guard saying 'its only a red light', referring of course to a traffic light that had just been run

Brilliant.

Was that barrier actually an armco or was it a Jersey?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Gruffalo wrote: »

TG4 used to have a traffic cop show some years ago that included some Garda filming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

I
    - - The unaccompanied provisional licence driver was a disgrace. Its illegal but the guards ignored it. He also had no L plates, a car belching steam and a wing mirror missing. One of the guards said that his car was not fit to be driven but to take it home straight away. In the UK the car would have been seized and the driver would walk
    -

?
    I agree, but really and truly, the lad would have been put on the jlo scheme anywho. Not sure about powers of seizure in ireland!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭D-Boy

Given the powers and resources they have not to mention limited prison space they cant throw the book at everyone and the odd stern warning does.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hamndegger wrote: »
    TG4 used to have a traffic cop show some years ago that included some Garda filming.

"Garda, Camara, Gafa" or something along those lines - was Police Camera Action from the UK with minimal amounts of Irish content added and all the links re-filmed with a female presenter as gaelige.

D-Boy wrote: »
    Given the powers and resources they have not to mention limited prison space they cant throw the book at everyone and the odd stern warning does.

Assuming he'd been previously caught doing 135kmh in a 100kmh zone he would have been told more than 'go about your merry way' if I'd been in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    One of the programs will be all about the 2 fat cnuts who spend their working lives in a hedge west of the Quality Hotel in Oranmore and who clock up more 65mph in a 60 summonses than any other peelers in the country .

Bitter much?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Bitter much?

They don't bite women , no :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is up on RTE Player now. Nice use of Orbital - Belfast at the start...

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

I kinda hope this program will make people wake up and realise what a sham the traffic corps here are. I made a few notes, purely out of nerdishness.
    - The unaccompanied provisional licence driver was a disgrace. Its illegal but the guards ignored it. He also had no L plates, a car belching steam and a wing mirror missing. One of the guards said that his car was not fit to be driven but to take it home straight away. In the UK the car would have been seized and the driver would walk
    saw the programme alright just goes to show what you can get away with in this country. i counted at least 4 penalty points for this guy alone. maybe someone can go higher.
    (1)2 points for not having a qualified driver(2) 2 points for no L plates.
    but what sickens me is this guy was caught speeding before in the same car and when he comes to the attention of the guards again he's let off.
    - Another guard saying 'its only a red light', referring of course to a traffic light that had just been run
    also in another breath the guard says that if one of the motor bikes had taken off there would've more than a broken red light to deal with.
    then you have yer man in donegal that led everyone on a crazy chase. let him try and do that in the states and see how far he gets.opps i meant walks.he would'nt have been able to walk into the squad car if he had done it over there.
    another is yer man in drogheda caught drink driving. after the test the guard tells him he's in no fit state to drive the car.i thought this was hilarious as the car was nearly a write off. it was more like the car was in no fit state to drive. i forgot the disgualification but he was fined only €500. he should've been locked up. there should be zero tollerence for drink driving. in fact the limit should be down to zero.
    overall it shows how lenient the guards are. plus programme way to short. not enough for the 20-25 mins air time.

Yeah "our only option is the stinger". What about ramming him off the road like the American police, and increasingly the British police, are doing. Now maybe it wasnt possible in this case due to other traffic, but I got the distinct impression that it wouldnt even have been considered.

Yeah "our only option is the stinger". What about ramming him off the road like the American police, and increasingly the British police, are doing. Now maybe it wasnt possible in this case due to other traffic, but I got the distinct impression that it wouldnt even have been considered.

They were basically unable to catch him to do that, though...

• Advertisement

... because Irish police cars are vastly underpowered compared to what they need. With all the motorways being built they need a handful of seriously high performance cars LIKE OTHER COUNTRIES.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

... because Irish police cars are vastly underpowered compared to what they need. With all the motorways being built they need a handful of seriously high performance cars LIKE OTHER COUNTRIES.

Yeah, though for things like that we might actually need lower costs to avoid inflated budgets with little room for extras, and substantial taxation to properly fund our services LIKE OTHER COUNTRIES (e.g. have less people who pay no income tax, and have proper services so they can afford to pay tax instead of paying privately or directly to the govt for everything).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Ramming him at tat speed would kill both the driver of the car and the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

- One person BLATENTLY hogging the overtaking lane of a D3M with no other traffic in sight

They were on route to an accident. What would you do, give the driver blocking lane 3 a ticket, or go to a serious accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Unfortunately I can't see the bloody thing as I'm outside Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭childoforpheus

And if he was 'rammed' off the road and died as a result or was injured who do you think would be blamed?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

murphaph wrote: »
    Unfortunately I can't see the bloody thing as I'm outside Ireland.
    http://www.rte.ie/tv/trafficblues/ Watch Here:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

spareman wrote: »
    thanks but I meant that I can't watch it on RTE iplayer. It's blocked:
    RTE wrote:
    We're sorry but RTÉ player is currently only available to viewers in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.
    Viewers in other territories can still continue to access a selection of RTÉ programmes on www.rte.ie.
    Thank you for your interest in RTÉ player and we will keep you updated on future developments.

I believe it' possible to use a proxy but I don't know how. I'll just watch it next time I'm home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I didn't understand why when your man was coming to the Northern Ireland border as if the place was a safe haven for criminals saying he would of got away from them.

Ok I'm sure northern ireland is outside their jurisdiction but surely they have links with the PSNI like, would be one of the numbers i'd have on speed dial if I was a policeman here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

i forgot the disgualification but he was fined only €500. he should've been locked up. there should be zero tollerence for drink driving. in fact the limit should be down to zero.
    overall it shows how lenient the guards are.

I don't believe the Gardai make the rules or choose the penalties.

But how that kid on the provisional was let drive away in that piece of sh1t car is beyond me. The JLO thing was good but he was an immediate danger to himself and others.

Advertisement