Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how good are sega dreamcast consoles?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

take look at this guys

SEGA DREAMCAST(MAZIORA LIMITED EDITION)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170344786692&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

Fred83 wrote: »

Lol hilarious!:pac:

whys it funny,goes to show theres hardcore collectors out there!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Well, yeah but I mean why pay over 2 grand on a system that'll probably never see the outside of a plastic bag. Sure it looks great and is an awesome collectors piece, but whats the point if you can't play it. Now I'm not saying that the winner of the auction won't play it, but chances are they won't. TBH I'd much rather spend a tenner on a horrible yellow DC that I can play than 2 grand on a nice looking system I won't. However, give me a million euro tomorrow and I'd have it bought.

i woundnt keep stuff like that in my house,your right too,why pay over the odds for a different caseing,its stuff like that that make me think,you know someone could take that if they robbed your house,i doubt the insurance company would care either!

• Advertisement

It was more of the fact that, he is a new user to ebay with no sales and he is expecting to sale something $2000+

If you can get me a Dreamcast for a tenner i will be a happy camper Atavan!. even if it is the most yellow dreamcast in the world!

fair dues to him lol

Fred83 wrote: »
    fair dues to him lol

And I mean the machine is but ugly, looks like something that a teenager did. now if it was a hello kitty dreamcast that is an amazing case not no ugly ass Green case!. there are rarer nicer things i would rather spend 2000$ + on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Oh right, I didn't even look at the seller. I would never give over 2,000 to someone whos selling for the first time. You just never know.

appleidog wrote: »
    And I mean the machine is but ugly, looks like something that a teenager did. now if it was a hello kitty dreamcast that is an amazing case not no ugly ass Green case!. there are rarer nicer things i would rather spend 2000$ + on

i said that about my saturn collection,it was gathering dust,so i just sold it,i said heck,theres some more important things in life...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭tifosi 1

2 grand for a Dreamcast is insane.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No thanks for that DC, looks much tbh.
    Still, there's someone out there with a hermetically sealed vault and I'm sure it's just the sort of thing he/she might want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

I saw those SE Dreamcasts on ebay too, I can't believe there are people out there willing to pay that kind of money for what are basically official case mods. To answer the op Dreamcast = Awesome. In fact I'm still buying games for mine, waiting for Outtrigger and backup copies of the 2 Shenmues to arrive next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Item location: default, default, Hong Kong

Says it all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

tifosi 1 wrote: »
    Back in 1998 I was an uber DC nerd. I was so into the DC I was reading (not buying) playstation mags just see what they thought about the machine. I had pre booked it a whole year in advance. In fact I was given a job in a Dublin city centre game shop because i was hogging up the Jap test machine too much and that I knew more about the machine than the manager at the time did.

On October 13th 1999 (a day early you'll notice) I finally got my hands on my own Dreamcast. At 2.30pm my friend Mick and I swaggered in town like we were the only people on earth getting this piece of kit. The machines had to be smuggled out in large black plastic bags so as not to get the shop into trouble. We were threatened with violence if we even attempted to plug a phone cable into it. But the preconditions didn't matter we had our little white pleasure boxes, me with Sonic Adventure and Mick with Ready 2 Rumble Boxing (which I always thought that was a bad decesion for your first game on a new console). I had played the Jap version of Sonic Adventure in the shop but this was a different story, this was in my bedroom on my 14" tele and with the story in a language I could understand. It was heaven and to this day no other console launch has captivated me as much since.

In the space of 3 years the amount of classic games it received was truly astounding.

Where did you buy it ? And who was going to beat u up if you plugged a phone line into it ? Lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Liamo Valentino

Recently took mine down from the attic and re-played Shenmue and Shenmue II!!!
    Lethal. Shadow Man was another cracker and Headhunter and Soul Calibur as well.
    I really loved that console!!
    Especially Shenmue!!
    :o

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Where did you buy it ? And who was going to beat u up if you plugged a phone line into it ? Lol :D

I got it in Gamestop Liffey Street. The manager wouldn't give me the machine early at first but I begged and pleaded and finally got my way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

tifosi 1 wrote: »
    I got it in Gamestop Liffey Street. The manager wouldn't give me the machine early at first but I begged and pleaded and finally got my way.
    I wondered where that brown nose came from!
    You should have been more like me and just antagonise said manager, of course, all I ever got then was hassle and grief, ho hum....

I'm "getting" Incoming for it as we speak, kinda hope I can find those rose tinted spectacles, I know I left them here somewhere, oh yes, they're next to the 3DO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You'll need them, the game got good reviews since it was one of the first to use graphics cards. It's fairly piss now.

I know exactly what you mean. nostalgia is a cruel mistress I recently got a copy of Sega Rally 2. Its absolutely terrible now. Sega Rally looks horrible but its still great to play but part 2 is just terrible in every department. Yet games that I thought wouldn't age well have e.g Toy Commander, Sonic Adventure and Revolt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Bought DC during the week and playing Sega Rally & Daytona with the wheel and its still a quality experience.

HOTD 2, confidential mission, Bass fishing, Virtua Tennis & particularly Soul Calibur are all i've been playing since i got it and i've been sucked in.

On the otherhand Virtua Striker 2000.1, which i never played on DC originally but enjoyed in the arcade, ain't great. Not surprising really.

There's a few more choice titles i got with it like Shenmue 2 which i've yet to play and intend to wait for proper holiday time to have time necessary to play it.

All i can really say is that Having a DC back in my front room feels good and sadly the 360 has been pushed to the background the foreseeable future.

Honestly?
    Most of the games you have mentioned have been superceded by further updates on more modern consoles.
    Sega Rally 2 is pretty lame, was never that satisfying to begin with, Daytona is dreadful on a regular controller only with the DC wheel does it get interesting.
    HOTD 2 isn't bad, but the Wii edition with the addition of the sequel is better value, Bass fishing was a novelty game, no more.
    Virtua Tennis, now there's an interesting one, Kerbdog here worships the very ground it walks on, having had his college interrupted by it's release, VT2 being a mild disappointment to him, me, I'd rather Virtua Tennis 3 on the PS3/360.
    Soul Caliber, a game whose appeal is almosst completely based on it's visuals, surely then the sequels on the PS2, Xbox and GC are better in every way?
    Never liked the footy games on the DC, they only get better as the gens went on, current Fifa seems to have everything really.
    In fact Shenmue 2 is about the only game there to own a DC for, and even that is available for the Xbox, so, why have shove the DC to the fore?
    Rose Tinted Spectacles my friends, rose tinted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Nice to see the love for the DC. I got into the DC late, actually more because of an interest in the emulators that were being developed for it about 4 years ago I guess. Started collecting the games then when I realised how many arcade ports there were for it, and how good these ports were. Have a lot, PAL, Japanese and US games, collecting them got a bit out of hand, but never spent an excessive amount of money on any one title. Have quite a bit of hardware too. I have a few bits and pieces of other systems but nowhere near as much.

I have to agree with the Virtua Tennis comment up there - what a brilliant game. It's the kind of game nearly anyone can pick up and play quite quickly, but still has a depth where you can get to demonstrate a lot of skill. VT2 was nowhere near as good, maybe because I found it much harder than the first. Others played fairly regularly would be Crazy Taxi, LeMans 24, F355, and nearly any shooter. Got a lot of value out of Soldier of Fortune and Fur Fighters, nearly finished Soul Reaver (got stuck in a graphic glitch which ruined my save, and didn't go back) and played much of MDK2 and Red Dog until they both got brutally hard. MSR was another great driving game, but I quickly downloaded a save file that allowed me to play free roam, so that's most/all I do when I play it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Yes i have now dropped the rod and put the wheel away and have Virtua tennis on pause to type., is Rez worth the price or are the rose tinted spectacles obscuring my vision again?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Yes i have now dropped the rod and put the wheel away and have Virtua tennis on pause to type., is Rez worth the price or are the rose tinted spectacles obscuring my vision again?.

Have you tried VT with the fishing rod? Who needs Wii Tennis!?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt44Pr3oj0Y

Rez on DC is excellent, I forget how much I paid, but remember it was a lot less than what it was usually going for. I think you can get it much cheaper on the PS2 though.

Rez on DC is excellent, but so is the cheaper, and identical PS2 version.
    But for the bestest version around it had to be Rez HD on the 360, that edition is everything the game ever could be made real, the visuals just pop off of a modern HD tv, breathtaking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

i love the dreamcast so much i had to buy a second one since the heat sink in the first one broke from playing it too much but its an absolute classic console with some amazing games like shenmue (sega please bring out the third one soon) power stone, sonic adventure, souls caliber and all the other games people have listed here, it had online capability waaay before xbox and playstation had it and they even gave away a free game cho cho rocket to play online felt good getting a free game in the post. then they had the vmu's for the controllers which were kinda cool even tho they didnt take advantage of that too much...

all in all i would say buy one dont think they would be too much on ebay or somewhere online and finding games shouldnt be hard either, i still have mine packed away in its box along with my other consoles that are collecting dust, might have to get it out for a trip down memory lane.

Advertisement