Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how good are sega dreamcast consoles?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Must have a look, then sell it for...... Billions!!!
    Mwa ha ha ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Must have a look, then sell it for...... Billions!!!
    Mwa ha ha ha!

Yeah it's actually quite a simple repair job. Had to do it to one of my Dreamcasts just over a year ago (used to have 3... one had a busted motor. Smashed it up when I was drunk one night on my birthday... don't ask).

http://everything2.com/title/Sega%2520Dreamcast%2520controller%2520port%2520repair

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Achilles wrote: »
    Smashed it up when I was drunk one night on my birthday... don't ask).

Sorry mate, have to ask, what on earth were you doing?

You didn't try to express your undying love for all things Sega,

In,
    some sort of,
    well.....

How do I put this....

A physical way?:eek:

Did it prove difficult to clean it afterwards?:eek::eek:

Just a quiet "I know I thought it wouldn't change us, but I was wrong"

Then, into the bin, broken hearted.:eek::eek::eek:

Then to heal the pain you bought a PS2?

I mean, who could love a Sony? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Sorry mate, have to ask, what on earth were you doing?

You didn't try to express your undying love for all things Sega,

In,
    some sort of,
    well.....

How do I put this....

A physical way?:eek:

Did it prove difficult to clean it afterwards?:eek::eek:

Just a quiet "I know I thought it wouldn't change us, but I was wrong"

Then, into the bin, broken hearted.:eek::eek::eek:

Then to heal the pain you bought a PS2?

I mean, who could love a Sony? ;)

Nah the GD ROM motor was busted in it. Picked it up from an old repair shop for a tenner thinking I could repair it myself but couldn't find a suitable motor. I already had another one for spares and one that I used as my regular gaming machine.

Let's just say that JD and "good ideas" definitely don't mix when it's your 21st birthday...

We played pass the dreamcast by smashing it off the ground. Now that I think about it I really could have used a spare controller board *sigh* ohh well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

yes,dont plug in the controllers into the dreamcast when its turned on,thats why alot of them get the blown fuse,theres loads of fixes on the net for the common dreamcast problems...

• Advertisement

Last thing I'd say is the system was all about arcade games. Frankly, they are the only games I actually care about so it doesn't matter. But the lack of EA Sports games and something new and mainstream like Grand Theft Auto didn't help/QUOTE]

they made an error with the saturn that costed them the E.A support,sega killed off the saturn early *well it was dead in europe in 1998 anyway but big in japan* which shocked e.a into not supporting the dreamcast,sega killed the dreamcast early too as it nearly bankrupted the company like the saturn did..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 mediafreak

we didn't have a dreamcast back in the day - just a megadrive. Sonic was just too nostalgic that I downloaded an emulator :)

mediafreak wrote: »
    we didn't have a dreamcast back in the day - just a megadrive. Sonic was just too nostalgic that I downloaded an emulator :)

belive it or not the dreamcast itself is a brillant machine for emulation,theres been loads of emulators made for it oddly enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

Fred83 wrote: »
    Last thing I'd say is the system was all about arcade games. Frankly, they are the only games I actually care about so it doesn't matter. But the lack of EA Sports games and something new and mainstream like Grand Theft Auto didn't help/QUOTE]

they made an error with the saturn that costed them the E.A support,sega killed off the saturn early *well it was dead in europe in 1998 anyway but big in japan* which shocked e.a into not supporting the dreamcast,sega killed the dreamcast early too as it nearly bankrupted the company like the saturn did..

71-1.jpg?t=1244562180

They had Grand theft auto allright!. and Why have EA when you have the much better 2k series.

Lets face it, the writing was on the wall when Colin McCrae 2 got cancelled on DC, something like that could have really made the machine, and as said before the lack of FIFA, Madden, NHL and even Need for Speed really hurt the console, they were the big sellers from EA on the PS1,
    I mean, the version of Half Life on DC is outstanding, it took the PS2 to bring that series to consoles later on, and it was finished as well! It's out there if you know where to look and it includes the Blue Shift scenario as well, where you play Barney the guard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Bought this for £15 the other day. Hopefully when I receive it next week, it works. Any advice on what not to do, like plug in a controller while the power is on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Ebay I presume ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Ebay I presume ? :rolleyes:

Er, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

I remember playing Phantasy Star Online (but not online) three times through... a slight change in the boss each time at the end and obviously harder enemies and weapon upgrades etc... Something about that game i that really liked!!!!.... not sure what doh.

Cool cause ebay's evil d26fe3fa50e4c6889b6863c52aeca0f2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Cool cause ebay's evil d26fe3fa50e4c6889b6863c52aeca0f2.jpg

Ah dont knock fleabay, I bought alot of good stuff for a fair price off it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Have to agree. It's not all that bad, you can get some great bargains on it but yes unfortunately there are scammers and the like on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

+1 to the DC love-in can i just tell my story. When CVG covered the Jap launch of this and i saw VF3 and the tech demos i instantly fell in love. Bought a DC on euro launch day should have known then the signs were ominous for the machine as although i pre-ordered one when i arrived into Game they had a stack of them left. Sonic Adventure despite its buggy flaws was amazing to play, not quite Mario 64 but still. Power Stone, Shenmue, JSR, Crazy taxi, 18 wheeler, Code Veronica, HOTD 2, Virtua Tennis & Striker and the beast that was Soul Calibur, i loved them all. Even though EA didn't commit the Sega sports games were as good imo.

As for the DCs demise, i remember how gutted i was but not surprised when i heard it was being discontinued, in my year in school i was the only one who had a DC. Sadly not longer after that my house got burgled and my DC was taken amongst lots of other stuff. Got a whack of insurance money but invested elsewhere instead. I deeply regret now not snapping up cheap DC hardware & games in its dying days.

from a business view,they had no choice to kill it,it nearly bankrupted sega belive it or not

I imported my DC from Japan, it came in a lovely orange box, with the dude in the specs in a big picture on one side, I got Pen Pen Tri Icelon, Incoming and VF3 with it, and was very happy, even with the running, swiming sliding penguins!
    I loved Incoming though, a conversion of the PC game it was smashing, for it's time, although it may have had something to do with the fact that there wasn't a whole lot else to play!

I remember going on my first trip to London, we had just spent the previous day at the British F1GP and we decided to head down to London for a but of craic.
    I seemed to find my way to Computer Exchange and there picked up Buggy Heat, which I then had to carry around for the rest of the night as we didn't go back to the hotel, so ended up getting very drunk in an irish bar, listening to a dance mix of the old Late Late Show theme whilst a DC disk case was squashing a kidney.

All that effort for a DC game!

A sh1te DC game!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I imported my DC from Japan, it came in a lovely orange box, with the dude in the specs in a big picture on one side, I got Pen Pen Tri Icelon, Incoming and VF3 with it, and was very happy, even with the running, swiming sliding penguins!
    I loved Incoming though, a conversion of the PC game it was smashing, for it's time, although it may have had something to do with the fact that there wasn't a whole lot else to play!

I remember going on my first trip to London, we had just spent the previous day at the British F1GP and we decided to head down to London for a but of craic.
    I seemed to find my way to Computer Exchange and there picked up Buggy Heat, which I then had to carry around for the rest of the night as we didn't go back to the hotel, so ended up getting very drunk in an irish bar, listening to a dance mix of the old Late Late Show theme whilst a DC disk case was squashing a kidney.

All that effort for a DC game!

A sh1te DC game!

I enjoyed that tale of woe-related games madness :)

How much were the last few Dreamcasts sold off for ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Not much I'd say, probably around £30-40 (assuming it was pre 2002). They even had promotions in America where you could get free Dreamcasts

I wonder if many people bought a few of them only to sell them on later for profit... as "retro" :)

Oh I'm sure a few poeple did, it's the same with anything really. If a limited edition of something comes out or theres something that not many people buy (eg: Dreamcast) then theres always those few people who will buy 3 or 4 of them, to sell on in years to come.

Woo Hoo!

Just found my copy of Metropolis Street Racer!

Happy days!

My bro in law just fixed the busted DC, or rather the now working DC and he can have my *other* copy of MSR, not some back up you understand, just some odd silver disk that seemed to come my way a while back, a fully working proper copy of it, just without any printing on the disk, ho hum, my guess is somewhere down the line a Sega employee got stick fingers-itis, I believe the Irish xbox game pressing facility had a nasty case of it too when Halo 2 was released!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭tifosi 1

Woo Hoo!

Just found my copy of Metropolis Street Racer!

Happy days!

My bro in law just fixed the busted DC, or rather the now working DC and he can have my *other* copy of MSR, not some back up you understand, just some odd silver disk that seemed to come my way a while back, a fully working proper copy of it, just without any printing on the disk, ho hum, my guess is somewhere down the line a Sega employee got stick fingers-itis, I believe the Irish xbox game pressing facility had a nasty case of it too when Halo 2 was released!

Glad you found it, now you can stop thinking that I stole it. If your brother doesn't want the dodgy copy of MSR i'll take it off your hands as I can never get the copied version to work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I believe the Irish xbox game pressing facility had a nasty case of it too when Halo 2 was released!

They made them down the road from me. I played it over a month before it was released :)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭tifosi 1

Back in 1998 I was an uber DC nerd. I was so into the DC I was reading (not buying) playstation mags just see what they thought about the machine. I had pre booked it a whole year in advance. In fact I was given a job in a Dublin city centre game shop because i was hogging up the Jap test machine too much and that I knew more about the machine than the manager at the time did.

On October 13th 1999 (a day early you'll notice) I finally got my hands on my own Dreamcast. At 2.30pm my friend Mick and I swaggered in town like we were the only people on earth getting this piece of kit. The machines had to be smuggled out in large black plastic bags so as not to get the shop into trouble. We were threatened with violence if we even attempted to plug a phone cable into it. But the preconditions didn't matter we had our little white pleasure boxes, me with Sonic Adventure and Mick with Ready 2 Rumble Boxing (which I always thought that was a bad decesion for your first game on a new console). I had played the Jap version of Sonic Adventure in the shop but this was a different story, this was in my bedroom on my 14" tele and with the story in a language I could understand. It was heaven and to this day no other console launch has captivated me as much since.

In the space of 3 years the amount of classic games it received was truly astounding.

• Advertisement

Yup, good days.

Although infinitely funnier was Gav killing the imported N64, or did he kill both of them?
    Anyways, it was funny, wisps of smoke emerging from the N64's rear having been plugged into an Irish power socket through little more than a travel adaptor, instead of a step-down.

Deary deary me.....

Sonic Adventure, possibly the last decent Sonic game on the home consoles, Ah well....

Advertisement