Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good weather brings Dog Owner Aggro!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Hey Sorella, don't get me wrong, I acknowledge the reality of the fear people feel and I do sympathise with it though admittedly less for people who have a dog or dogs themselves - if you benefit from the ownership of a dog, the least you can do is take the time to learn about how they interact socially. I wouldn't be a big fan of mice myself so I am also well aware that just being verbally reassured is not enough. Just this weekend I moved myself and my dogs in an outdoor cafe because someone was uncomfortable walking by them (even though they were lying down half asleep in the sun at the time). It is pointless trying to convert someone on the spot. But it does make me sad that those people miss out on the great attributes of dogs, the affection, the loyalty and probably for me, their greatest attribute, their ability to remind one to live in the moment more often.

My point is simply that these fears will persist until dog owners make moves in a collective way to tackle them and it seems to me that a really effective, nurturing and gentle way of doing this is via the next generation through channels that already exist. On a wider scale, if we as animal lovers really want to improve the lot of dogs in society here then we need to be prepared to take on the things that contribute negatively to their image in some concrete way and this would be a good start.
    sorella wrote: »
    It can be hard for non-dog owners. I say this ruefully as three years ago I had never kept dogs, and have had to learn slowly what is play and what is aggression.

If folk only have one dog also they will not know the difference. Because they have never seen that interaction.

We had three puppies and at first I was shocked at the rough and tumble.

I am sure I have spoken here in Ireland to PAT dogs. Yes, definitely so.

Everyone has some irrational fears. I am happy picking up a mouse, but it freaks some out totally.

Now spiders!!!!!!! No use telling me they will not harm me either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

I am in total accord here of course.

NB I used to take cats to an old folks' home...

But three years ago I was wary of dogs; and still in fact prefer cats!! I had a superb teacher however, and can enjoy the difference.

So meet the others half way.

The attacks etc you suffer out there are horrendous. i would probably react differently were we among town folk also.

Our two are our alarm and guard dogs also in an isolated place here and never leave the grounds. So we live a very sheltered life. So we are probably contributing to the negative image; although our postman, safe behind a big gate, is impressed by their protection and says that you need a dog in the country.
    Bluefrog wrote: »
    Hey Sorella, don't get me wrong, I acknowledge the reality of the fear people feel and I do sympathise with it though admittedly less for people who have a dog or dogs themselves - if you benefit from the ownership of a dog, the least you can do is take the time to learn about how they interact socially. I wouldn't be a big fan of mice myself so I am also well aware that just being verbally reassured is not enough. Just this weekend I moved myself and my dogs in an outdoor cafe because someone was uncomfortable walking by them (even though they were lying down half asleep in the sun at the time). It is pointless trying to convert someone on the spot. But it does make me sad that those people miss out on the great attributes of dogs, the affection, the loyalty and probably for me, their greatest attribute, their ability to remind one to live in the moment more often.

My point is simply that these fears will persist until dog owners make moves in a collective way to tackle them and it seems to me that a really effective, nurturing and gentle way of doing this is via the next generation through channels that already exist. On a wider scale, if we as animal lovers really want to improve the lot of dogs in society here then we need to be prepared to take on the things that contribute negatively to their image in some concrete way and this would be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

peasant wrote: »
    The minority who just dislike/fear dogs and regard them as potential killers and gather up their children/dogs in shrieking hystrionics no matter how much in control of the dogs we actually are. Any assurances fall on deaf ears.

Such is life.

Have you not come across the people who approach you to plss and moan about your dog being off the lead or being vicious? I have had people walk right up to me and the dog demanding that I put the dog on the lead when I was perfectly legal to have the dog off the lead. (local by-laws) Then they completely freak when the dog looks or sniffs at them.

My wife who is tiny gets this all the time, much more than I do from cyclists and joggers. We actually had a jogger run in between me and the dog when he was on the lead. This was in a 240 acre empty park.

I have had a cyclist cycle by me only to stop, get off his bike and try to kick the dog in the head.

Some people are just trouble makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

sorella wrote: »
    Our two are our alarm and guard dogs.

Note to potential burglars:

So are mine! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

lol!
    Bluefrog wrote: »
    Note to potential burglars:

So are mine! :D

The strangest thing I ever had happen was when I was moving house with the wee one; she was in the car, sitting so happy on a big cushion.

I stopped to buy a takeaway coffee at a garage, and of course she started whilning when I left her for the minute that took..

A man started giving out; that he was going to report me for cruelty for her being in the car like that.

I asked how else she should travel? In a trailer outside the car, he said.

Told him to go ahead and report me; and to pick on someone his own size next time.

I have since seen those wee dog trailers. They look terrifying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭Top Dog

peasant wrote: »
    I have learned that you can split the people that we meet when out with the dogs into two camps:

The majority who just looooove dogs and have to go and give them attention/ cuddles / treats, no matter what we on the other end of the lead think about it or are currently doing. Any objections go totally unprocessed.

or

The minority who just dislike/fear dogs and regard them as potential killers and gather up their children/dogs in shrieking hystrionics no matter how much in control of the dogs we actually are. Any assurances fall on deaf ears.
    There's also the third grouping who will approach you and ask if they can pet the dog, rather than just lunge at it to pet/cuddle etc. Though in my expierence these are by far the extreme minority.
    Skillie wrote: »
    here is the offending predator!!
    Viscious! Won't somebody please think of the trildren! :pac:

(he's handsome by the way ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

lightening wrote: »
    Have you not come across the people who approach you to plss and moan about your dog being off the lead or being vicious? I have had people walk right up to me and the dog demanding that I put the dog on the lead when I was perfectly legal to have the dog off the lead. (local by-laws) Then they completely freak when the dog looks or sniffs at them.

My wife who is tiny gets this all the time, much more than I do from cyclists and joggers. We actually had a jogger run in between me and the dog when he was on the lead. This was in a 240 acre empty park.

I have had a cyclist cycle by me only to stop, get off his bike and try to kick the dog in the head.

Some people are just trouble makers.

OMG that's awful. Like to kick him in the head... the S***.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

Thanks for that info Alun. I will be contacting them to see about doing that kind of thing in School's. It would be great for the kids to if they could learn about training and agility etc.

Bluefrog they are gorgeous, are they both boxers?

I have a boxer who will bark at strangers, but slink off as she does so, more cos she's afraid, I'm happy out though that she showing a bit of confidence, she was a dort of rescue and was terrified when i got her.

Friend was here the other day, big llad, and he was messing about with the young lad. She went nutso after him,, it was actually hilarious too watch. I was like yeah rock on, baby you've come a long way.

Advertisement