Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OCD tendancies

Options
  • 26-05-2009 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭

I have talked to a few mates who do the same and I am wondering how many others do this.

When changing the volume on a TV or Radio that has numbers to indicate the loudness do people tend to go for round numbers or multiples of 5 as opposed to setting it at odd numbers like 11 or 19.

Well...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

that's not OCD, it's just quirkiness.

I know someone who actually has OCD. amongst other things which actually impact upon her life, she counts steps. she counts words. She counts seconds inbetween people saying things. She can't get out of bed unless it's a 5 or a 0 at the end of the time on the clock. To get around this she turns the clock away from her so she can't see what time it is when she wakes up.

OCD is one of the new things everyone says they have, but in reality those who actually have it can suffer greatly.

After Hours answer: 11

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I usually go with multiples of 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

I have OMD tendancies, I'm always talking loud and clear

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

OCD Tendancies

I have talked to a few mates who do the same and I am wondering how many others do this.
    Well....

Nah, my OCD is to correct spellings. But I... must... resist...

tendencies

Ah, shit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I tend to only go for even numbers. Odd numbers make me twitch.

I lived with someone with actual OCD. It wasnt nice. Poor chap had it very bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

Nah, my OCD is to correct spellings. But I... must... resist...

tendencies

Ah, shit.

Soory fro youre trubble. This cuold kepp you busi fro hour's so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ImARide

Let x be an element of the set of natural numbers. I go for x(231.1)/231.1 +6

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I go with multiples of 1.

Mad, I know. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

I know someone who actually has OCD. amongst other things which actually impact upon her life, she counts steps. she counts words. She counts seconds inbetween people saying things. She can't get out of bed unless it's a 5 or a 0 at the end of the time on the clock. To get around this she turns the clock away from her so she can't see what time it is when she wakes up.

OCD is one of the new things everyone says they have, but in reality those who actually have it can suffer greatly.

After Hours answer: 11
    +1

I got's the real deal. But after years of working on it, it's now very manageable. No one would notice unless I told them.

As this poster said, it's only OCD if it impacts your life and you cannot control it. As with every problem really.

Funnily enough- I don't give a sh1te what volume the tv is at. Once I can hear it.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Soory fro youre trubble. This cuold kepp you busi fro hour's so!
    Not at all, it not being bad spelling but rather a deliberately chosen set of characters purposely placed together incorrectly in an attempt to wind-up.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

my girlfriend always insists on having the volume at either a multiple of 2 or 5 :rolleyes:

I always put it to 17 when she is out of the room.

I'll be in trouble when she reeds this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Sh!t the world is ending:pac: Odd numbers are evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I have to do ten dancies before leaving the house or my pet shrew will die. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

OK quirks.

Besides the telly/radio thing, I like to have all the light switches facing the same direction as well if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I have to make sure all the plug switches are turned off when not in use.

I always go for odd numbers on the volume level...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I couldn't care less about what volume the TV is at. But if I'm in the company of anyone who is quirky about this, I put it on 13 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Abigayle wrote: »
    I couldn't care less about what volume the TV is at. But if I'm in the company of anyone who is quirky about this, I put it on 13 :)

You big meanie. I feckin like it!!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Beanstalk wrote: »
    I have to make sure all the plug switches are turned off when not in use.

I get paranoid about this too. On occasion, I've went back and checked if I've unplugged the iron about 3 times before I leave the house.

Also, I always check the door handles on my car even though it's got remote central locking. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

Yes, definitely fear of leaving things switched on like iron/ coffe machine/ cooker is one of mine. I do multiple checks before leaving the house. Have even left work on more than one occasion to go and check (10 mins away), because I couldn't remember switching the iron off -- and of course it was off when I got home :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

1. Have to check the door repeatedly after I leave the house.
    2. Usually like to keep things symetrical and don't like odd numbers of things.
    3. Have a defined place for everything I own.
    4. All walls, shelves etc in my place have to be white.

Loads more. I consider it all normal but others think it's a bit weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

twanda wrote: »
    Yes, definitely fear of leaving things switched on like iron/ coffe machine/ cooker is one of mine. I do multiple checks before leaving the house. Have even left work on more than one occasion to go and check (10 mins away), because I couldn't remember switching the iron off -- and of course it was off when I got home :(

And the one time that we say fuck it, don't be stupid and ignore it, the house will burn down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Got to make sure the back door is locked, gas on the cooker is off, PS3 is plugged out and all the doors are shut before I go to bed. Sometimes two or three times.

But saying that, I can let it go if I have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

wow, i bet its crowded in your bed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭deco05ie

If my left left side touched something cold like a window id feel weird until I touched it with my right side.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

deco05ie wrote: »
    If my left left side touched something cold like a window id feel weird until I touched it with my right side.

Are you sure you don't mean bars?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Usually set the TV volume to 12, again won't set it to 13 for some reason.

Other than that, I have a manageable case of the OCD too I think - but like others have said, I can completely drop it and forget about it for days, even weeks at a time. Nowadays it only affects me when im in a rush or stressed out sort of thing; I'll have to walk a certain number of steps (not 13 because that's bad for some reason I can't explain) on the floor of the room before I progress to the landing. Or if I pass a mirror and notice myself in it, I'll keep looking at it to make sure I look OK...and I'm male which makes that one odd. :P

Again even in that situation I can drop it depending on the mood im in, sometimes it's much harder. Usually if it goes on too long common sense kicks in after a minute.

Other than that, nothing much. Never affects me in front of anything other than immediate family either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

sdonn wrote: »
    Or if I pass a mirror and notice myself in it, I'll keep looking at it to make sure I look OK...and I'm male which makes that one odd.

I do that myself sometimes too. Don't think it has anything to do with vanity either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Trí wrote: »
    Funnily enough- I don't give a sh1te what volume the tv is at. Once I can hear it.:)
    Now you will.

I hate losing things. Sometimes, not normally but sometimes, if I lose something, and its not where I left it, I get this horrible choking feeling, and everything becomes uncertain. I don't know what to trust and what not to. I start to doubt myself.

I then tear apart the room to find what I've lost.

Aside from that weird thing I'm grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

First part of this vid

Advertisement