Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with cash from the sale of a house.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Blackjack

geem wrote: »
    If I had a chunk of money I would be much more interested in protecting it against Ireland's potential bankruptcy than being patriotic.

The people who set up and encouraged the great ponzi scheme that formed the bubble and the subsequent catestrophic collapse weren't acting out of of patriotism.
    As for our tax money bailing out the banks well that is so and is sickening but there's not a lot we can do about that. However, why would the the unpalatable fact that the bank is transferring our tax money to bail out banks etc make us want to give them another lump sum on top of it?

Seems you have nothing to worry about.

Honestly, each to their own. I just don't understand supporting the profits of Foreign Banks when the Irish ones are offering depositors better rates and can probably benefit the country more by having the deposits than a foreign one.

Punishing them now is a bit daft - if we have to Nationalise more than Anglo, we're in deeper water than we are now.

Do you think National Irish Bank, Ulster Bank and the rest of the non-Irish Banks weren't up to the same thing?. Why apply the theory of just punishing the Irish Banks?.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭geem

It's not about punishing the banks it is about protecting the posters cash. Irish banks offer higher interest rates because they are desperate for deposits and the reason they are desperate is because they are in worse shape. Gov doesn't have the money if the guarantee is called on.
    Didn't see any patriotism from the banks when they were getting us into this mess and still not seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Blackjack

geem wrote: »
    It's not about punishing the banks it is about protecting the posters cash. Irish banks offer higher interest rates because they are desperate for deposits and the reason they are desperate is because they are in worse shape. Gov doesn't have the money if the guarantee is called on.
    Didn't see any patriotism from the banks when they were getting us into this mess and still not seeing it.

As I mentioned - each to their own.
    Banks outside of Ireland are offering better rates than ours, that I can guarantee you.
    Lets face it - the Banks were only lending people the money that people wanted to borrow. They didn't create this mess on their own.

Advertisement