Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with cash from the sale of a house.

Options
  • 22-05-2009 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I will shortly have cash (€300,000+) from the sale of a house and I am looking for advise on what to do with it.

A bit of background though. This house was in my name but my late mother was living in it on her own for the past 40 years. I am married and have recently had to retire from work due to the company's inability to continue to pay wages. My wife has recently also had to give up work for health reasons. Our only income is now my pension and my wifes supplementory payment - combined = €380 per week.

Between loans and the balance of a mortgage there is just over €20,000 due to the bank. Otherwise apart from these there are only the usual running costs + health insurance, motoring costs etc.

I assume there is likely to be some CGT due but I have heard mention of an allowance due to special circumstances such as leaving the property available for the use of an elderly parent. Anyone know anything about this?

Either way there will be cash to invest and I will also need to make it provide a supplement to my income.

Any suggestions or further information on the taxation situation would be very welcome.

Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

start by putting on deposit .. somewhere like here

http://www.ulsterbank.ie/roi/personal/saving/instant-access/esavings-plus.ashx?coid=UB_IE_Savings_roi_saesavings

then get some advice .. there may be some way to shelter the return from Tax due to your pensionable status.

my two cents .. cash will be extreemly valuable in a few years time.. sit on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Copying this thread over from Investments and Markets to Accommodation and Property because there are two issues here really, i.e. the disposal of the house and the use of the subsequent funds.

David, you'll need to check both threads for all the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Buy a house nearby with the remainder of cash? Or do you have a house that you're moving into?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭davidod1

Living in my own house, the one that has the small balance due on the mortgage.
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

davidod1 wrote: »
    Dave
    Ah yeah okay. I missed that bit :o

Investing at the moment does not seem like a good idea. As above, putting it into a bank would be the best idea. Some bank offer more interest for money that is or a large amount, and also they offer schemes of added bonuses if the money is going to be there for a set time, such as 10 years, etc. Not sure if this is a savings, or some sort of investment, though.

• Advertisement

Yeah - it looks like splitting it 3 ways, one short, 1 medium and 1 say 10 years with 3 different institutions might be the safest way out at the moment.

Many thanks for the interest.

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Yeah - it looks like splitting it 3 ways, one short, 1 medium and 1 say 10 years with 3 different institutions might be the safest way out at the moment.

Many thanks for the interest.

Dave

Like you, we have cash left from the sale of our home and were very worried about where it would be secure. We have it on deposit with NIB. The rate isn't great, but they're covered by the Danish Government banking guarantee, which is a lot more secure that the Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Freddie59 wrote: »
    , but they're covered by the Danish Government banking guarantee, which is a lot more secure that the Irish one.

lets stick to the facts here your 100% COVERED by the Irish scheme until september 2010 so there is no such thing as being more secure

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Government bonds? Better return than you'll get on any deposits- and if the government defaults- well- lets say its a safer bet and a better return than from any of the commercial businesses......

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

What line of work were you in?

Just to throw it out there, if you work in an otherwise productive sector but your employer has run out of money for other reasons, have you considered starting up your own business? It would definately be on the riskier side of things to do with your money, but it would give you something to work at and to be honest I would prefer to lose my money running my own company rather than by putting it into property/shares/an insolvent bank.

Alternatively, what would be your dream job, and would you consider going back to college or otherwise trying to get into it (e.g. writing a book, becoming an actor, scuba instructor in thailand(nevermind what the missus says)).

Again just to have a think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Blackjack

the Danish Government banking guarantee, which is a lot more secure that the Irish one.

No it isn't.

Don't feel like starting a business - started collecting the OAP last year. Really just want make sure that whatever time is left for meself and the missus is as secure as possible. Wouldn't mind seeing a little of the world before we go either.

Amway - Thanks to all the contributors above.
    Dave

D3PO wrote: »
    lets stick to the facts here your 100% COVERED by the Irish scheme until september 2010 so there is no such thing as being more secure

The facts, as you describe them are that the Irish state guarantee is not worth the paper it is written on, if called in at any point. It is the equivalent of 250% of GDP (YES THAT'S TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY PERCENT), whereas in most other European countries offering the same guarantee it is 17% of GDP. Let's stick to the facts indeed.;)

Blackjack wrote: »
    No it isn't.

I refer you to my reply above.

Have a look at this:

http://cib.natixis.com/flushdoc.aspx?id=44816

We are guaranteeing FOUR HUNDRED AND EIGHTY BILLLION EURO.

It's nuts.:mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Have a look at this:

If all property related debts are enumerated in the guarantee- its actually more in the region of 1.3 Trillion Euro. This is partially why the Irish government now has to pay over 2% more than the Germans on its sovereign debt.

Have a look at this:

Note from your attachment:

Country Maximum volume guaranteed
    Ireland: Estimated at EUR 485 bn
    Denmark: Unlimited

Which figure are you more comfortable with?.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

EBS have a decent little 3 month term fixed save account.... you could lodge the cash in there and only draw down the interest and just spend that which should be a nice few hundred every 3 months.... the account auto renews its term if you dont writh to a letter to cancel.... think 25k is the min so you should have no issues there.

Note from your attachment:

Country Maximum volume guaranteed
    Ireland: Estimated at EUR 485 bn
    Denmark: Unlimited

Which figure are you more comfortable with?.

The Danish one - everytime. Let me ask you this;

Under the current circumstances, which country would you think has the greatest chance of going bankrupt. Combine last weeknds announcement that soldiers who served in the LEB are now poised to make claims:rolleyes: which could - literally - bankrupt the nation. And Iºll go with Denmark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Buy prize bonds with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 IDCI

Don't feel like starting a business - started collecting the OAP last year. Really just want make sure that whatever time is left for meself and the missus is as secure as possible. Wouldn't mind seeing a little of the world before we go either.

Amway - Thanks to all the contributors above.
    Dave
    Sounds like a plan!

Buying up property in a year or so may well be a good long-term investment, but I'd say if you're more interested in medium term returns then going down the energy route might be better?

Plenty of good companies getting started in renewables right now that could be looking at 5 year returns (OpenHydro, etc.). I'm also quite taken by the idea of micro-hydropower that the German Chamber of Commerce were pushing there recently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭bobbiw

Dave

Dont put in on deposit its a waste.

You need to find a good investment broker who can put it in relatively safe investments.

If you think houses are cheap you should look at the stocks. You could turn that into 1m in 4-5 years.

The Danish one - everytime. Let me ask you this;

Under the current circumstances, which country would you think has the greatest chance of going bankrupt. Combine last weeknds announcement that soldiers who served in the LEB are now poised to make claims:rolleyes: which could - literally - bankrupt the nation. And Iºll go with Denmark.

I'm glad you understand the concept that and that in your opinion an "Unlimited" Guarantee is "Safer" than one thats Estimated at EUR 485 bn. Your source, not mine. :rolleyes:

I know which Bank my money's with, it ain't Danish. If my Tax money is going to have to go help the Irish Banks, I don't see why my savings should go help a Danish one. It's a bit self defeating, but each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭bobbiw

IDCI wrote: »
    Sounds like a plan!

Buying up property in a year or so may well be a good long-term investment, but I'd say if you're more interested in medium term returns then going down the energy route might be better?

Plenty of good companies getting started in renewables right now that could be looking at 5 year returns (OpenHydro, etc.). I'm also quite taken by the idea of micro-hydropower that the German Chamber of Commerce were pushing there recently.

There is no way Irish property is a good long term investment. The country very easily could go bankrupt in the next couple of years.

Maybe if you pick up an apartment in town for 20k but thats not happening for the next few year (i dont think it will but 50k is reasonable)

As soon as germany and france get more stable watch interest rates double. And europe has no time for Ireland after the lisbon debackle

but each to their own.

Oh you can sing that one.;):D

But I ask you again:

Ireland or Denmark. Which do you think has the biggest potential to go bankrupt - very quickly. I am not being unpatriotic - just realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

jetski wrote: »
    EBS have a decent little 3 month term fixed save account.... you could lodge the cash in there and only draw down the interest and just spend that which should be a nice few hundred every 3 months.... the account auto renews its term if you dont writh to a letter to cancel.... think 25k is the min so you should have no issues there.

They also have a premium account that pays 7+%..the minimum to open a premium account is €150k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭dblennon

get to a broker and buy the CRH finance BV 7.375% GTD MTN 28/05/14

in english thats a bond that'll give you an annual return of €17,700 (on €300,000)after tax (20%)which you may be exempt from.

the bond is guarenteed for the next 5 years.

Oh you can sing that one.;):D

But I ask you again:

For the Record, we are probably more likely than Denmark to go bankrupt, but that is unlikely to happen in either case. We're not in as bad a state as people like to think we're in, although we're not in the best of health all the same.
    I just don't see the point in supporting foreign banks when its in your own interest to try to help the Irish ones as much as you can.

For the Record, we are probably more likely than Denmark to go bankrupt, but that is unlikely to happen in either case. We're not in as bad a state as people like to think we're in, although we're not in the best of health all the same.
    I just don't see the point in supporting foreign banks when its in your own interest to try to help the Irish ones as much as you can.

No chance, I'm afraid. Would these be the same Irish banks who have hovered around us like vultures for years, aiding and abetting the unsustainable acceleration in house prices for the past 10 of those years?

I couldn't give a fiddlers about them. They - and the 'developers' - should have been left go to the wall as the failed business entities that they are.:mad:

No chance, I'm afraid. Would these be the same Irish banks who have hovered around us like vultures for years, aiding and abetting the unsustainable acceleration in house prices for the past 10 of those years?

I couldn't give a fiddlers about them. They - and the 'developers' - should have been left go to the wall as the failed business entities that they are.:mad:

Your Tax money is already supporting them, so putting your deposits with a different bank for a lower interest rate is completely self defeating.

Your Money, do what suits you with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭geem

I'm with Freddie59 on this one. I would spread the money around several different accounts to avail of different country's guarantee schemes.
    If I had a chunk of money I would be much more interested in protecting it against Ireland's potential bankruptcy than being patriotic.
    The people who set up and encouraged the great ponzi scheme that formed the bubble and the subsequent catestrophic collapse weren't acting out of of patriotism.
    As for our tax money bailing out the banks well that is so and is sickening but there's not a lot we can do about that. However, why would the the unpalatable fact that the bank is transferring our tax money to bail out banks etc make us want to give them another lump sum on top of it?

Advertisement