Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donaghmede?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

Donaghmeade is a bog standard working class area,it wouldnt be a working class area in the same vein as the likes of Crumlin,Finglas or Ballyfermot,it would be nicer and have more money floating about then these areas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

tony231974 wrote: »
    Could be worse you could of got a job in Bayside! Now thats a kip and a half. :eek:

Getting a job in Bayside could be an achievement, given that there are only a couple of businesses there !

The stock of Donaghmede has increased with the opening of the new Father Collins Park. It's a brilliant facility - I just hope that some of the gurriers hanging around there don't reduce it to a smoking ruin ;) We paid a visit on Friday night and were treated to the spectacle of 5 Gardai trying to suppress some teenage girl who was screaming obscenities at them and then tried to smash her way out of the paddywagon once they got her in there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

TarfHead wrote: »
    gurriers hanging around there don't reduce it to a smoking ruin ;) We paid a visit on Friday night and were treated to the spectacle of 5 Gardai trying to suppress some teenage girl who was screaming obscenities at them and then tried to smash her way out of the paddywagon once they got her in there.

Arseholes..the area is riddled wit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Lived in the Donahies for a couple of years, good enough spot all in all - and the Donaghmede Inn was across the road, good spot for a few pints(great pub for watching the footy!) but the shopping centre does tend to attract the local clowns....

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭samurai kebab

Could be worse you could of got a job in Bayside! Now thats a
    kip and a half. :eek:

I don't quite know if you're being serious but what in gods name is wrong with bayside?Clearly a step or two above donaghmede,Baldoyle or Kilbarrack(not that they're bad really) which all surround it. Really just a generally wrong comment as Baysides a decent area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Born bread and butterd in Donaghmede, love the area. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Was in Fr Collins Park the other day.
    I must say it looks fantastic, certainly a far cry from the muddy GAA pitches i recall growing up there.
    Hopefully it'll survive the 'involvements' of the local heads.

I don't quite know if you're being serious but what in gods name is wrong with bayside?Clearly a step or two above donaghmede,Baldoyle or Kilbarrack(not that they're bad really) which all surround it. Really just a generally wrong comment as Baysides a decent area.

My initial response was in line with what you have posted but, on reflection, I assumed the poster was referring to the 'shopping centre' which is in need of renovation.

If the poster is referrring to the general Bayside area, in comparison to Donaghmede, then I'd take the worst house in Bayside over the best in Donagmede every time :p !

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭tony231974

Well put it this way.I know people who got drugs from there and we drank in the Racecourse and seen and heard about gangs and fights in the estates beside the shopping centre. ;)

Well put it this way.I know people who got drugs from there and we drank in the Racecourse and seen and heard about gangs and fights in the estates beside the shopping centre. ;)

Are you still talking about Bayside, or do you mean Baldoyle :confused: ?

And much of what you have cited could be true for many areas of Dublin, including Donaghmede. And I have never heard of gangs fighting in Bayside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭tony231974

TarfHead wrote: »
    Are you still talking about Bayside, or do you mean Baldoyle :confused: ?

And much of what you have cited could be true for many areas of Dublin, including Donaghmede. And I have never heard of gangs fighting in Bayside.

Both.The drugs at Bayside trainstation and gangs.We walked there after
    the pud for the train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

What are you talking about? You can get drugs from any area of Dublin. Supply & demand and all that. The trainstation in Bayside connects to Baldoyle. Bayside is slightly more upmarket than parts of Baldoyle/Donaghmede, but I agree the Shopping Centre is in dire need of a renovation. It looks exactly the same as when I lived there in the early 80's.

Both.The drugs at Bayside trainstation and gangs.We walked there after the pud for the train.

The estates between The Racecourse and Bayside DART station are all Baldoyle. Seagrange Park is Baldoyle. Your opinion of Bayside is, IMHO, based on behaviour observed in Baldoyle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

My problem with bayside is more with teh houses themselves..dreadfully layed out like darndale or somewhere with houses with no front gardens.
    A bit of an eyesore tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dlite

Sorry, pressed the thanks button by accident.

I'm from Donaghmede and it's a grand spot so it is.

There hasn't been a fight in the Donaghmede Inn for years, good place to watch the el sports too!

I would agree it's a working class area though, not posh at all.

Howth Junction does smell of pi$$ and Linden Village but it's a badly designed station that catered for "Shelter for the scumbags" but I personally think it's safe enough, I always get a wolf whistle from Jonner or Tomma - who do be shmokin in da shtairway.

Is their a street called "Upmarket" that takes you from Donaghmede to Bayside?

I think Bayside is a depressing dump, Moyclare now there's lovely area.

Degsy wrote: »
    My problem with bayside is more with teh houses themselves..dreadfully layed out like ..

I agree and disagree.

In terms of urban planning, the design is good - loads of communal green spaces and easy access between the roads.

Some of the households have taken ownership of some of the communal spaces and gated them off for their own use. For those households, they get the benefit of a safe place for small kids to play. The downside is that the gates prevent access for other people.

The access lanes have become a good spot for anti-social behaviour. I was renting in Bayside a couple of years ago and suffered from this. Some yobs caused a couple of hundred euro worth damage to bikes & trikes left in the back garden. Also, those same lanes make it difficult for the Gardai to deter anti-social behaviour, as the lanes facilitate an easy getaway.

So much green space and so many mature trees has made the public/common areas high-maintenance, e.g. grass cutting, clearing away leaf fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭donaghs

There should be a preservation order on Bayside as a reminder of 1970s planning styles (open plan lawns, tiling in bedrooms, laneways everywhere, prefab-looking pub beside shopping centre). Never again!

but I have to admit that "Bayside Boulevard" does sound impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Dlite wrote: »
    I think Bayside is a depressing dump, Moyclare now there's lovely area.

Bayside is a pain to get out of (all the bloody roads look the same)

Moyclare?! Ya mean Moyross :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement