Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donaghmede?

Options
  • 21-05-2009 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

What kind of area is Donaghmede...is it working-class, posh, in between, or what? Is it a bit of a kip, or nice?

I've never heard of it, being a Southsider, but may be offered a job there soon so I was just curious.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

it would be more 'posh' than 'working class', a decent area. whereabouts on the southside are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭daithiolabhrai

terenure...and I know it's a million miles away and all, but hey it's a recession!

it would be like kimmage so. more upper than lower.

it would be like kimmage so. more upper than lower.

ah okay! thank you very much!

ah okay! thank you very much!

no bother, a good way of getting there would be to get to rathmines and get the 128 to tesco on the malahide road then walk to donahmede. im in the same boat as you i live in raheny but work in harolds cross

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Donaghmede is a working class area. Its where Roddy dowly based his trilogy on, Commitments, Snapper and the Van. Plenty of facilities there

no bother, a good way of getting there would be to get to rathmines and get the 128 to tesco on the malahide road then walk to donahmede. im in the same boat as you i live in raheny but work in harolds cross

ah thats very helpful thank you very much! ha if only we could swap houses!

Donaghmede is a working class area. Its where Roddy dowly based his trilogy on, Commitments, Snapper and the Van. Plenty of facilities there

thats kilbarrack!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

it would be more 'posh' than 'working class', a decent area. whereabouts on the southside are you?

Have a drink in the Donaghmede Inn and tell me it's posh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Dante

It would be a working-class area compared to Pormarnock, Malahide or Howth but upper-class compared to Darndale, Coolock or Finglas if that clarifies anything for you! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭donaghs

Depends where in Donaghmede you'll be based. There are some old council estates nearby like Millbrook and St. Donaghs which tend to attract more trouble. And Kilbarrack is just across the road. You can get the Dart to Howth Junction and walk up to the Shopping Centre and see what you think. My experience of the area is that it's grand, but there's the odd gang of skangers around, and a good few "wannabe" skangers too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

It would be a working-class area compared to Pormarnock, Malahide or Howth but upper-class compared to Darndale, Coolock or Finglas if that clarifies anything for you! ;)

nail on head

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

donaghs wrote: »
    Depends where in Donaghmede you'll be based. There are some old council estates nearby like Millbrook and St. Donaghs which tend to attract more trouble. And Kilbarrack is just across the road. You can get the Dart to Howth Junction and walk up to the Shopping Centre and see what you think. My experience of the area is that it's grand, but there's the odd gang of skangers around, and a good few "wannabe" skangers too.

Its the wannabe scangers that make certain parts of it unpleasant.
    I'm from there originally and i've seen blokes with two culchie parents suddenly pretending to talk like junkies after they hit 17.
    I would say to avoid st donaghs,millbrook and streamville as they contain actual scangers and they can be quite rough.
    The area around the church like grangemore and the donahies are better areas than the roads near the shopping centre as these have lanes at the back of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I can't add much to whats been posted.

Avoid Howth Junction DART station after dark, and avoid parking anywhere close by.

The shopping centre isn't bad, but avoid Kilbarrack S.C. at all costs.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Nothing wrong with the Donaghmede inn. Good laugh to be had daytime and night time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

humberklog wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the Donaghmede inn. Good laugh to be had daytime and night time.

I've seen rows in that place about ten times,including a glassing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

welcome to irish pub culture. :)

Donaghmede is a decent area though, you could do much worse. there's night security guards on the dart station at howth junction I believe.

totally agree with you

Degsy wrote: »

happens in 99% of pubs at some stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yeah it's a working class place all right ;)

It's not too bad a place. A few of the tracksuit stuffed into socks brigade that hang around but thats about it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

God help the OP! :eek:

Goto the Donaghmede shopping centre and see for yourself OP.

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »
    God help the OP! :eek:

Goto the Donaghmede shopping centre and see for yourself OP.

I dare you to try Kilbarrack S.C. or (god forbid) Northside S.C.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Degsy wrote: »

Not too shabby an average.

I've only been in it 6 times (over two years and at different times of the day) and had a good laugh each time...there you go.

But Degsy how many of those fights did you start?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭highdef

I dare you to try Kilbarrack S.C. or (god forbid) Northside S.C.

Better still, try Ballymun SC!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭samurai kebab

Donaghmede is fine in general. I'd get the bus if I was you though either the 128 or 29a will leave you beside the shopping centre and on a main road outside the shopping centre so safe enough. If you don't know the area I'd avoid getting the dart especially late as it can get a bit crazy around the dart station at times. This thread has reminded me of some bad times got a flick baton to the eye from a loada lads drom donaghmede and edenmore a few years ago and a wine bottle bounced off me noggin at the ballymun sc :( but don't worry OP im guessing the job is in and around the SC and thats grand only gets a bit dodgy late at night and by that time you should be long home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I can't add much to whats been posted.

Avoid Howth Junction DART station after dark, and avoid parking anywhere close by.

The shopping centre isn't bad, but avoid Kilbarrack S.C. at all costs.

Ah no need really. From Malahide myself (stop sneering now) but ive relations in Kilbarrack - well, they like to call it Raheny but you could spit on Kilbarrack Fire Station - and Im in that shopping centre often. Might be a little under par for a SC these days but never had an ounce of trouble and the security keep the locals on a tight leash. I've seen more antisocial behaviour outside my local shop in Malahide, if I'm honest. Deadly chipper too.

OP - Donaghmede is as said above (but with slightly less generalisation :P ) somewhere in between Malahide and Coolock, both geographically and socially.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭samurai kebab

Are you talking about the tescos in Kilbarrack? Just cause I'd say it was greendale shops he was talking about over the other side of Kilbarrack I hate those shops there like a beacon calling to the scum of the area :mad: I think it's the big field attached to the shops that make it a popular spot, the tesco etc are grand tbh.

highdef wrote: »
    Better still, try Ballymun SC!!! :eek:

Probably the cleanest S.C. I've seen, puts most other's to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Are you talking about the tescos in Kilbarrack? Just cause I'd say it was greendale shops he was talking about over the other side of Kilbarrack I hate those shops there like a beacon calling to the scum of the area :mad: I think it's the big field attached to the shops that make it a popular spot, the tesco etc are grand tbh.

Nah its Kilbarrack SC where tesco is we're on about - I presume.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

I'm in there pretty much every day*

Fantastic pub, good staff, nice pint.

Hasn't been a fight in there in years

*I don't work there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭tony231974

Could be worse you could of got a job in Bayside! Now thats a
    kip and a half. :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement