Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Velib-like bicycle rental kiosks under construction in Dublin

Options
  • 21-05-2009 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I noticed that the Velib like bicycle rental kiosks are being constructed in Dublin

Took these pictures today.

Exchequer St.

3551625969_1cca287ab8.jpg?v=0

3552446372_f03a67334a.jpg?v=0

Nassau St.

3552469484_bd62b94d6f.jpg?v=0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Also Grantham Street and Earlsfort Terrance at the NCH.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Looking forward to these, hear the first 30mins may be free so might save me a long walk twice a day - any near abbey street at all? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Will they be covered by the free travel pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

OP, you should post this in the cycling forum too...

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

Looking at the map of locations here it seems to me like they're all concentrated around a very small area....like you'd hardly be bothered cycling that distance. They should put some out further in Dublin 8, 7, 3 & 4 and I'd say way more people would use them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Looking at the map of locations here it seems to me like they're all concentrated around a very small area....like you'd hardly be bothered cycling that distance. They should put some out further in Dublin 8, 7, 3 & 4 and I'd say way more people would use them.

I have to agree with this. Not only are the stands all very concentrated, there are none at Heuston, which strikes me as an obvious candidate for a stand, or anywhere west of Smithfield.

I challenge anyone to find anything about this scheme on the Dublin City Council website: the main page, Roads & Traffic, and Recreation don't even mention the word bike. Why do we have to rely on the AA (a motoring organisation!) to find out about the scheme and locations of bike stands? Is there anything official about this scheme online anywhere else?

I've used the scheme in Paris and Lyon, and it's great there. However the small number of stands and limited number of bikes here in Dublin make me worry that it's doomed to fail here. Which would be a pity, because it's genuinely useful service.

/csd

• Registered Users Posts: 14,881 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

its launching with only 450 bikes - you'd need that many at Heuston alone if they were putting a stand there. Supposedly if its a success it may be expanded.

No sign of construction at the Custom House Quay\Georges Dock location as yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

Barcelona launched with 1,000 bikes across 25 stands. So Dubln's 40 stands/450 bikes doesn't seem too bad given the population differentials. It looks like the scheme will be a victim of its own success, so it will have to expand.

It's probably best that the Council keep it very low key in the beginning. No full page ads in the Irish Times. The bikes will advertise themselves.

The target for the scheme is primarily short hops around the city to encourage a quick turnaround of bikes. I'm imagining the route from St Stephen's Green to Parnell Sqaure being very popular and vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

Heuston is a must for this project, can't believe it's not included.

Metrobest wrote: »
    It's probably best that the Council keep it very low key in the beginning. No full page ads in the Irish Times. The bikes will advertise themselves.

There's low-key and there's practically invisible! There's no excuse for there being no mention of it on the DCC website. The scheme is, after all, supposedly launching next month. There isn't even a map of the bike stand locations available unless you manage to find the AA page...

Very poor!

/csd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ad hoc

Launching in 4 months according to the official website.

http://www.dublinbikes.ie/misc/construction.html

ad hoc wrote: »
    Launching in 4 months according to the official website.

http://www.dublinbikes.ie/misc/construction.html

So it has been delayed then :( The original launch I'd heard was June, but who knows -- everything about this project seems to be shrouded in secrecy!
    AA website wrote:
    Ground works on the installation of the bike stations will begin in Spring 2009 and the bike scheme will be fully operational by Summer 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DCC_Cycling (Elaine)

Hi all,

We're working on a new cycling web site for Dublin City at the moment but thought this information may be valuable to pop up as the new site won't be live for 2-3 weeks. When it is we'll post the address here too.

http://www.dublinbikes.ie is JCDecaux's web site specifically for the City Bikes scheme itself.

CityBikes scheme
    The scheme will provide 40 public bike stations around the city with 450 bikes available for general public use! The network of stations will extend from the Mater Hospital in the north to the Grand Canal in the south and from Smithfield in the west to the IFSC and North Docklands in the east.

80967.jpg

City-goers will be able to collect a bike from any station and return it to any station on the network e.g. you could collect a bike from a station on Talbot Street and return it to a station at Stephens Green or vice versa. The cost of installation, management and maintenance of the bikes and their stations (including replacing and repairing the bikes) will be covered by JC Decaux. JC Decaux have agreed to provide the bikes as part of an Outdoor Advertising and public Amenities contract with Dublin City Council.

The dublinbikes scheme will operate between 5am and 12.30am, 7 days a week. An automated card machine will be located at each station where users can either use a smartcard (members) or a credit card (non-members) to take out a bike. Bikers who wish to sign up for a smartcard will pay an annual subscription fee of just €10, while occasional dublinbike users may prefer to pay a small charge (€2 for 3 days) for the use of the bikes. Once removed from any station, the bikes can be used for up to 30 minutes free of charge, with a relatively low charge per hour of rental thereafter (e.g. 0-30mins = free, 30-60mins = €0.50, 60-90mins = €1, etc). The bikes cannot be taken out using cash.

Locations of the ‘dublinbike’ stations:

You can see a mockup here city_bikes_customs_house.jpg

1. Chatham Street
    2. Blessington Street
    3. Bolton Street
    4. Greek Street
    5. Charlemont Place
    6. Christchurch Place
    7. High Street
    8. Custom House Quay
    9. Exchequer Street
    10. Dame Street
    11. Earlsfort Terrace
    12. Eccles Street
    13. Fitzwilliam Square West
    14. Fownes Street Upper
    15. Hardwiche Street
    16. Georges Quay
    17. Golden Lane
    18. Grantham Street
    19. Herbert Place
    20. James Street East
    21. Leinster Street South
    22. Townsend Street
    23. Custom House
    24. Cathal Brugha Street
    25. Merrion Square East
    26. Merrion Square West
    27. Molesworth Street
    28. Mountjoy Square West
    29. Ormond Quay Upper
    30. Parnell Square North
    31. Parnell Street
    32. Pearse Street
    33. Princes Street North/ O’ Connell Street
    34. Portobello Harbour
    35. Smithfield
    36. St. Stephens Green East
    37. St. Stephens Green South
    38. Talbot Street
    39. Wilton Terrace
    40. Jervis Street

FAQs

Do I have to return my bike to the same station I got it from?
    No. The bikes can be taken from/returned to any station on the network.

Can I pay by cash?
    Unfortunately no. The cards offer security so that if a situation arises whereby a user does not return their bike after use they will be charged. Cash does not offer the same security and could lead to a small percentage of users abusing the scheme.

How much does the scheme cost?
    10 euro per year for membership or 2 euro for 3 days. It is then free to use the bikes for the first half hour, 0.50 euro for the next half hour(i.e. 0.50 euro for an hour), 1 euro from 60-90 mins(i.e. 1.50 euro for an hour and a half), and 2 euro from 90-120 mins(i.e. 3.50 euro for 2 hours)

Why is it more expensive for longer durations?
    We wish to encourage short-term use of the bikes so that there will be more bikes available to as many people as possible. In other cities there has been a high turnover of bike usage e.g each bike in the velib scheme (in Paris) is used on average 8 times a day.

What’s to stop somebody else taking a bike using my details while I’m still at the ticket machine?
    Each bike stand will be numbered. Once you have selected your bike there will be a time delay before the bike is released from its stand. This will give you a chance to walk from the ticket machine to the bike before the bike is unlocked.

Why is there no bike station at Heuston Station?
    In order for the scheme to work, the bike stations must be ideally no further than 300m apart. This will ensure that in the unlikely event of a bike station being full, users will not have far to travel to the next nearest station. Heuston station serves many commuters and therefore it is likely many users would arrive at the station at approximately the same time (evening rush hour peak) on bikes taken out from a number of different stations. If the bike station at Heuston were full and there wasn’t a sufficient number of bike stations nearby to accommodate the user, users would be likely to miss their train. This would put many people off using the service.

It is predicted that the usage of the service at Heuston would be such that a high concentration of stations would be required in the vicinity and furthermore on the approach from the city centre (every 300m) for the scheme to work effectively. Given that there are 450 bikes overall, this would spread the scheme quite finely, with core areas in the city centre suffering as a result.

If the scheme proves to be a success, it is likely the scheme will be extended to a ‘phase 2’ which will include Heuston station and other areas outside the city centre core.

What should I do if I get a puncture en route?
    Don’t worry - punctures happen from general wear and tear and you won’t be charged if your bike gets a puncture. Just drop the bike back to the nearest station. A number of service vehicles will travel to and from each station regularly with staff carrying out general repairs on the bikes.

80968.jpg

Elaine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Hi all,

We're working on a new cycling web site for Dublin City at the moment but thought this information may be valuable to pop up as the new site won't be live for 2-3 weeks. When it is we'll post the address here too.

http://www.dublinbikes.ie is JCDecaux's web site specifically for the City Bikes scheme itself.

CityBikes scheme
    The scheme will provide 40 public bike stations around the city with 450 bikes available for general public use! The network of stations will extend from the Mater Hospital in the north to the Grand Canal in the south and from Smithfield in the west to the IFSC and North Docklands in the east.

80967.jpg

City-goers will be able to collect a bike from any station and return it to any station on the network e.g. you could collect a bike from a station on Talbot Street and return it to a station at Stephens Green or vice versa. The cost of installation, management and maintenance of the bikes and their stations (including replacing and repairing the bikes) will be covered by JC Decaux. JC Decaux have agreed to provide the bikes as part of an Outdoor Advertising and public Amenities contract with Dublin City Council.

The dublinbikes scheme will operate between 5am and 12.30am, 7 days a week. An automated card machine will be located at each station where users can either use a smartcard (members) or a credit card (non-members) to take out a bike. Bikers who wish to sign up for a smartcard will pay an annual subscription fee of just €10, while occasional dublinbike users may prefer to pay a small charge (€2 for 3 days) for the use of the bikes. Once removed from any station, the bikes can be used for up to 30 minutes free of charge, with a relatively low charge per hour of rental thereafter (e.g. 0-30mins = free, 30-60mins = €0.50, 60-90mins = €1, etc). The bikes cannot be taken out using cash.

Locations of the ‘dublinbike’ stations:

You can see a mockup here city_bikes_customs_house.jpg

1. Chatham Street
    2. Blessington Street
    3. Bolton Street
    4. Greek Street
    5. Charlemont Place
    6. Christchurch Place
    7. High Street
    8. Custom House Quay
    9. Exchequer Street
    10. Dame Street
    11. Earlsfort Terrace
    12. Eccles Street
    13. Fitzwilliam Square West
    14. Fownes Street Upper
    15. Hardwiche Street
    16. Georges Quay
    17. Golden Lane
    18. Grantham Street
    19. Herbert Place
    20. James Street East
    21. Leinster Street South
    22. Townsend Street
    23. Custom House
    24. Cathal Brugha Street
    25. Merrion Square East
    26. Merrion Square West
    27. Molesworth Street
    28. Mountjoy Square West
    29. Ormond Quay Upper
    30. Parnell Square North
    31. Parnell Street
    32. Pearse Street
    33. Princes Street North/ O’ Connell Street
    34. Portobello Harbour
    35. Smithfield
    36. St. Stephens Green East
    37. St. Stephens Green South
    38. Talbot Street
    39. Wilton Terrace
    40. Jervis Street

FAQs

Do I have to return my bike to the same station I got it from?
    No. The bikes can be taken from/returned to any station on the network.

Can I pay by cash?
    Unfortunately no. The cards offer security so that if a situation arises whereby a user does not return their bike after use they will be charged. Cash does not offer the same security and could lead to a small percentage of users abusing the scheme.

How much does the scheme cost?
    10 euro per year for membership or 2 euro for 3 days. It is then free to use the bikes for the first half hour, 0.50 euro for the next half hour(i.e. 0.50 euro for an hour), 1 euro from 60-90 mins(i.e. 1.50 euro for an hour and a half), and 2 euro from 90-120 mins(i.e. 3.50 euro for 2 hours)

Why is it more expensive for longer durations?
    We wish to encourage short-term use of the bikes so that there will be more bikes available to as many people as possible. In other cities there has been a high turnover of bike usage e.g each bike in the velib scheme (in Paris) is used on average 8 times a day.

What’s to stop somebody else taking a bike using my details while I’m still at the ticket machine?
    Each bike stand will be numbered. Once you have selected your bike there will be a time delay before the bike is released from its stand. This will give you a chance to walk from the ticket machine to the bike before the bike is unlocked.

Why is there no bike station at Heuston Station?
    In order for the scheme to work, the bike stations must be ideally no further than 300m apart. This will ensure that in the unlikely event of a bike station being full, users will not have far to travel to the next nearest station. Heuston station serves many commuters and therefore it is likely many users would arrive at the station at approximately the same time (evening rush hour peak) on bikes taken out from a number of different stations. If the bike station at Heuston were full and there wasn’t a sufficient number of bike stations nearby to accommodate the user, users would be likely to miss their train. This would put many people off using the service.

It is predicted that the usage of the service at Heuston would be such that a high concentration of stations would be required in the vicinity and furthermore on the approach from the city centre (every 300m) for the scheme to work effectively. Given that there are 450 bikes overall, this would spread the scheme quite finely, with core areas in the city centre suffering as a result.

If the scheme proves to be a success, it is likely the scheme will be extended to a ‘phase 2’ which will include Heuston station and other areas outside the city centre core.

What should I do if I get a puncture en route?
    Don’t worry - punctures happen from general wear and tear and you won’t be charged if your bike gets a puncture. Just drop the bike back to the nearest station. A number of service vehicles will travel to and from each station regularly with staff carrying out general repairs on the bikes.

80968.jpg

Elaine

When will we see these infamous bikes? Do you not feel that you have been ripped off by Jcdecaux??? I mean We have these eyesores popping up everywhere obstructing views and causing blindspots to traffic.

Also why is the majority of these on the Northside of the city????

Can you please post this information in the cycling forum?

Are the peole who maintain the bikes trained mechanics or just ordinary joes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 zevluv

haha, you idiots irish will just "kick the bejesus" out of the bikes every weekend. doomed to failure. Looking forward to seeing this venture crash and burn. more tax euros flushed down the toilet by the incompedent government. Why not spend the money on developing further the luas? It still makes me laugh that the two lines still dont intersect at any point (the whole thing was a stop-gap electioneering measure i think). But im getting off the point... then, what will you have?; a frankly terrible (non integrated!!!) bus, train and tram service. And now they want to introduce this half-thought bicyclye scheme (perfect word for this no? "scheme"). Build some cycle lanes first no? i can picture the idiots from dublin council on their "fact finding" trip to barcelona with handkerchiefs draped on their peeling heads, bellies protruding disgustingly etc. "Well jaysus kevin, i'd say it'll be grand!" "your not wrong mick. now wheres the irish pub til we have a pint"

oh lol. if i wasnt paying taxes here I would find it twice as funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

zevluv wrote: »
    haha, you idiots irish

'Ýou Irish idiots', you mean.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Elaine, perhaps you might shed some light on when the Stage 3 Road Safety Audit will be done on the advertising signs that were permitted to finance this bike scheme? They have now been in place for 18 months and no audit has been conducted.

There was a planning condition that all the signs would be subject to a Stage 3 Road Safety Audit within one month of erection and any failures removed, the City Manager has been asked twice by Councillors via motion to conduct an independent safety audit of the signs, and to date only a paltry internal report with a spreadsheet of the locations and safety concerns has been produced.

In the meantime the some of the signs are still in dangerous positions and there is no sign of any enforcement of the planning conditions being addressed.

Here's an example on Mercer Street that not only breaches the requirement for 1.8m clear footpath space to allow disability and double-buggy free passage, but also dangerously blocks the view of pedestrians crossing the road.

SMDC0171.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Hi Elaine,
    Why does JCDecaux's website have the DCC logo on it? [http://www.dublinbikes.ie/misc/construction.html]
    Can any private person set up a website and use this logo? or are there conditions attached?

When you say North Docklands, do you mean the Point, or actually in dublin port? or somewhere like the Docklands train station. Bearing in mind our central government ministers have described the docklands train station as being in the city centre, if there are no bike stations east of here, this isn't really much use.

Will the smartcard be part of the integrated ticketing scheme the rpa are organising? If not, why not.

When you say the scheme operates til half past midnight, does that mean a bike can be taken until then or it needs to be returned by then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Can I pay by cash?

Do you not legally have to accept cash? It is, after all, the only legal tender apart from stamps.

What about people who do not have debit/credit cards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

zevluv wrote: »
    haha, you idiots irish will just "kick the bejesus" out of the bikes every weekend. doomed to failure. Looking forward to seeing this venture crash and burn. more tax euros flushed down the toilet by the incompedent government. Why not spend the money on developing further the luas? It still makes me laugh that the two lines still dont intersect at any point (the whole thing was a stop-gap electioneering measure i think). But im getting off the point... then, what will you have?; a frankly terrible (non integrated!!!) bus, train and tram service. And now they want to introduce this half-thought bicyclye scheme (perfect word for this no? "scheme"). Build some cycle lanes first no? i can picture the idiots from dublin council on their "fact finding" trip to barcelona with handkerchiefs draped on their peeling heads, bellies protruding disgustingly etc. "Well jaysus kevin, i'd say it'll be grand!" "your not wrong mick. now wheres the irish pub til we have a pint"

oh lol. if i wasnt paying taxes here I would find it twice as funny.

Why would you "look forward" to seeing the venture crash and burn?
    Presumably you live and pay taxes in Ireland because it affords you a higher standard of living than whichever place you sprung from. You should really show a little more respect.

The luas is "terrible"? Tell that to the dozens of overseas transport professionals that have come to study its success in terms of design, passenger numbers and operational efficiencies.

"Build some cycle lanes first?" Have you cycled in Paris? Rome? Madrid? Barcelona? They're hardly much better than Dublin. In Barcelona's case the cycle lanes only started to improve after Bicing came in.

For once, this initiative is about Dublin City Council doing something that's generally positive for the citizens of the city. And all people - Irish and non Irish alike - can do is make snide remarks.

Qué pena.

For once, this initiative is about Dublin City Council doing something that's generally positive for the citizens of the city.

But as Elaine clearly states, DCC are not doing anything, the advertising company are. DCC aren't even complying with the law as far as we can see, regarding the road safety audit. A month has long since passed the ads were put up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Surely it is JC Decaux's job to do the road safety audit if it is a condition of planning? Not DCC?

If as you say, Jean Charles and Jean Claude haven't complied with a condition of planning permission, then have you made a complaint to the DCC planning department. Complaints about planning cannot be set aside or dealt with on a discretionary basis. They must be enforced.

What entity cannot set aside or deal with on a discretionary basis these complaints?? DCC. The manger hasn't responded to the councillors requests. I presume a minuted request at a council meeting should notify the people in enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

That would seem like an incorrect presumption to me. The complaint to the Council was oral. The representation has to be made in writing.

http://www.dublincity.ie/Planning/PlanningComplaints/DevelopmentComplaint/Pages/DevelopmentComplaint.aspx

Section 152 of the Planning and Development Act 2000 obliges the planning authority to take action on a written complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Complaints about planning cannot be set aside or dealt with on a discretionary basis. They must be enforced.

Technically correct.

The reality, slightly different....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

MadSL, I know you were running quite a campaign to get rid of the illegal/dodgy one and last time I caught up with it you had some small success and a lot of frustration. Have you gotten any further recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Do you not legally have to accept cash? It is, after all, the only legal tender apart from stamps.
    No, they don't. They could only accept cocunuts if they wanted to.
    Legal tender is only applicable if you want to pay a debt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Why would you "look forward" to seeing the venture crash and burn?
    Presumably you live and pay taxes in Ireland because it affords you a higher standard of living than whichever place you sprung from. You should really show a little more respect.

The luas is "terrible"? Tell that to the dozens of overseas transport professionals that have come to study its success in terms of design, passenger numbers and operational efficiencies.

Err he has a point, no joined up red and green line tracks and worst of all the amount of unpoliced junkies, drunks and assoicated bowsies is a disgrace, whats more its carrying capacity is a joke

"Build some cycle lanes first?" Have you cycled in Paris? Rome? Madrid? Barcelona? They're hardly much better than Dublin. In Barcelona's case the cycle lanes only started to improve after Bicing came in.

Actually they are much better than Dublin and in more Northern European cities the police have actually put manners on Cyclopaths and enforce the law unlike here

For once, this initiative is about Dublin City Council doing something that's generally positive for the citizens of the city. And all people - Irish and non Irish alike - can do is make snide remarks.

Really? It's a sleazy deal and it stinks, apart from the deal smelling to high heaven, (look into it yourself!) who is covering for bikes being stolen, in Paris it ended up with the tax payers having to pay for stolen and damaged bikes, never mind fishing them out od the Seine. Worse who is covering the cyclists for injury claims? Not JC Deaux. I reckon it will all fall asunder once the personal injury claims start rolling into DCC and us tax payers will be screwed by the DCC incompetent fools who railroaded it through in exchange for lethal advertising signs

Qué pena.

Wear a helmet !

Advertisement