Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VW LT 40 Luton van conversion

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Sol_MB

Okay, Better safe than sorry.

I'm wating on parts at the moment, hopfully we will get cracking by the end of this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Sol_MB, sure looks like turbo there at the exhaust picture. You also appear to have mechanical injection pump so it should be possible to tweak it a bit for more go if you want to.

Still waiting on parts so no work has been done on the engine yet.

However, I’ve been bissy working in the back of the van.

I have insulated all the walls using Polyurethane. As you can see it was a lot of work because each section had to be divided into 6, in order to get it in there!

I then started panelling, I can only do certain sections because, I still haven't put the windows and doors in.

I'm starting to get a feel for what it's going to look like. Tomorrow I will hopefully get the materials for making the windows, I can’t afford to buy pre made ones, So I’m going to have to be a bit cleaver.

Any ways, Here are some photos.
    I'm going to try and find some online hosting so I can put together a little gallery.

:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Looking good so far sol, Have you thought about using an old caravan as a doner for presses fridge etc?

Hi,

Thanks.

We got that wall finished and I have worked out how to do the windows. and side door, I'm hopping to get them in this weekend then I can finish the other wall.

And woo! Go camping.

(Not fogetting, Mechanicing, Importing, DOEing and Taxing)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 merc609

Fine job. Best of luck with it.

Thank you.

A lot of work has been done.

Got the injectors and heater plugs serviced/replaced shes running better but still smoky on start up and the knocking noise is still there, very intermintent, I think it could be a compression issue, once my mechanic gets back from his holaday I will have more work done.

My window plan didn't work out but I found horse box windows for a good price, the right size and sliding. But as my budget is tight I will have to wate untill maybe next spring.

The inside is coming along nicly, Sorry no pics, I didn't have my camera, then I didn't have an internet connection and today the van is full of speakers.

while i'm getting the mechanics done, I hope to make a passage to the box from the cab and fit back seats, once there in we will be able to use the van, we don't mind if it's a bit basic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kidge

heya
    sorry to intrude on your post but i'm new to this site and cant seem to make a new thread..
    im just wondering if anyone can give me any advice on how to make my van more fuel efficient?
    she's a 1995 vw lt 40d 2.4 luton box van which i absolutly adore. at her current running costs (approx 28pence per mile) i cannot aford to keep her.

ive thought about bio-diesel but i simply do not have the space or facilities to make it.

i would be very upset to have to sell matilda so would very much appreciate any advice!
    thanks very much
    kidge

About 15 or 18 miles to the gallon that pretty pricy.

Didn't think that there were any other LT40 Box vans in Ireland.

Good servicing, make sure that nothing is stealing power from the engine, like a warn axel or such. Service the injectors, air filters, make sure the Turbo is functioning properly.

The best way I have found of keeping fuel costs down is to take someone with me. Another paying person in the van cuts the fuel bill in half.

Else look for a new van, A friend has a Sprinter Box van, says he's getting a good 28 to 32 miles Per Gallon.

I find that when I am on small Irish Roads my fuel economy can get as bad as 15 miles to the gallon, once I get onto an N road or Motorway It goes up to about 22 - 25.

You probably know this, but don't accurate to fast, when driving try to keep a steady speed. Don't drive at the vans top speed.

Indecently what is your van's top speed, mine seems to struggle once I hit 50, I can get 55 out of it but it's not happy at that speed.

Oh, and is yours a Turbo Diesel or the standard Diesel. Mine is the Turbo.

Advertisement